• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slixshot

Banned
https://youtu.be/xZHoNplPGNw

BgePNW1.gif

Happened to my buddy and I last night... in the last 10 seconds... to tie the game... v_v

Salsa

it looks so good that I won't even put hats or flags on it

feels like putting bumper stickers on a classic muscle car

stupid

border

My friend bought this yesterday and I agreed to play with him -- both of us trying it for the first time. Both went through all the tutorials and such. He likes soccer and has a pretty good idea of how the game is meant to work

We got trounced in almost every single match -- ranked, unranked, 3v3, 4v4, 2v2. I think our record was probably like 2-7 or 2-9. Every loss was a blowout. Even when our rank sank to less than 20, we were still getting hammered. I don't really care since the game was free for me, but I feel sorry for my friend since he spent $20 on it.

Are there any decent guides or tips for newcomers? I feel like we are pretty much hosed since we've missed the community learning curve coming in 6 weeks late, and now everyone we're facing is an well-experienced player.

My general impression is that any missed boost or dash towards the ball ends up being super costly, and it's really difficult to re-orient yourself after you get rammed or flip off a wall. Half of the time we got scored on I was recovering from some mishap, not even knowing where exactly the ball was.

Markew001

Are there any decent guides or tips for newcomers? I feel like we are pretty much hosed since we've missed the community learning curve coming in 6 weeks late, and now everyone we're facing is an well-experienced player.

My general impression is that any missed boost or dash towards the ball ends up being super costly, and it's really difficult to re-orient yourself after you get rammed or flip off a wall. Half of the time we got scored on I was recovering from some mishap, not even knowing where exactly the ball was.

I would play some matches against bots to really familiarize yourself with everything. Also, try switching to ball cam. You may find it easier to re-orient yourself in those situations.

Just practice! This game is so much fun and it is STILL fun even when you're losing!

My friend bought this yesterday and I agreed to play with him -- both of us trying it for the first time. Both went through all the tutorials and such. He likes soccer and has a pretty good idea of how the game is meant to work

We got trounced in almost every single match -- ranked, unranked, 3v3, 4v4, 2v2. I think our record was probably like 2-7 or 2-9. Every loss was a blowout. Even when our rank sank to less than 20, we were still getting hammered. I don't really care since the game was free for me, but I feel sorry for my friend since he spent $20 on it.

Keep playing ranked and you will fall in rank and players will be worse and worse. There are a lot of people that suck. I know I am one of them.

I'm confused. I've been playing for the last couple weeks on my normal account which does not have PS+. The primary account on my PS4 does have PS+. So I should get the advantages of PS+ on the normal account and be able to play online, correct?

Except now it's not letting me play Rocket League online and says I need to have PS+ to use this feature.

Any idea what's going on?

Edit: I don't know what happened but I turned off the PS4 and restarted it and now I'm good.

Hoodbury

Newcomers tend to play the game like watching a bunch of 5 year olds playing soccer, everyone just follows the ball whereever it goes and just wants to be the one to kick it no matter which direction.

Don't play like that. You don't need specific positions, but you don't need your whole team following the ball around like it's a treat and you're all dogs. Once you play more you'll start to learn the flow of the ball and where it'll go depending on where on the wall it will bounce off of.

Don't try to aim the ball towards the goal always, try to aim for the wall to get a bounce that will center the ball for your teammate. If you hit it right at the corners it will bounce right over top of the goal and then your teammate(s) can be sitting around half court and just burst in and knock it in.

Also have someone play a safety position. You don't need a permanent goalkeeper, but keep back so you can quickly get back to being a goaltender when the ball comes back into your half of the court. When the ball is on my half of the court I try to have one person being keeper and the other playing defender. Then when the ball is cleared, the defender will follow the ball and try to get a center pass and the person playing the keeper can move up to around center court to try and get the knock-in.

Of course this is Rocket League and things barely ever go as planned, but that's what makes it so much fun and replayable.

But for me the keys to switching from a nooby to at least being competitive was not chasing the ball around and playing defense and keeper. If you're both chasing the ball around you won't be able to defend the other teams fast breaks.

BShadowJ

btw i've been contacting Psyonix about a NeoGAF community flag

If we get a GAF flag, you'll forever be my hero. :D

Also, the PS4 finals for the 3v3 NeoGAF tournament will be played in about an hour. I think cole will be streaming it, but if not, I will. I'll post a link later for anyone who wants to see it.
And in those lines, I am of course willing to do more tournaments. Possibly even with prizes. What I am thinking though is if people are more interested in a 1v1 or 2v2 tournament (I mean, it could be 3v3 again, but I was thinking a change of pace would be nice). What would you guys prefer?

LordofPwn

btw i've been contacting Psyonix about a NeoGAF community flag

i was tempted to e-mail mr dunham about this. but he seems to be pretty busy. still hasn't gotten back to me on approval of footage use for a commercial i'm working on. So dont be surprised if you dont hear anything for a little bit.

Also, the PS4 finals for the 3v3 NeoGAF tournament will be played in about an hour. I think cole will be streaming it, but if not, I will. I'll post a link later for anyone who wants to see it.
And in those lines, I am of course willing to do more tournaments. Possibly even with prizes. What I am thinking though is if people are more interested in a 1v1 or 2v2 tournament (I mean, it could be 3v3 again, but I was thinking a change of pace would be nice). What would you guys prefer?

my vote is for 1v1.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Got the DLC to support the devs.

And while I like the additions, I'm hoping future DLC is a bit more... substantive. Already have all the trophies after playing a 9 week season. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hasney

Got the DLC to support the devs.

And while I like the additions, I'm hoping future DLC is a bit more... substantive. Already have all the trophies after playing a 9 week season. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DLC is only ever going to be cosmetic. If anything is added game wise, it'll just be a patch.

I vote 2v2. Though 1v1 would be salt city, so that'd be fun too. Still, I think 2v2 is the best version of the game.

Only thing I was kind of underwhelmed by was the spectator mode. I was hoping for a Watch option letting me watch friends games or high level ranked games. I know that takes a lot of work but hopefully it becomes a thing one day. As it is now it will be great for streaming tournaments but little else.

Hasney

So when I was.exporting my PES video out of Twitch, I forgot I did a drunk stream trying 1v1 for the first time... Think I quit once I went 13-1 down....

Can I use a private match to play with someone on PC? (I'm on PS4) If not, is there any other way for two people cross-platform to play on the same game?

Salsa

We have been insanely busy. But I can ask for a GAF flag.

I just got a response from Dave actually

he basically asked me if I work for GAF cause they'd want permission, and if I can do anything about having his account request approved, heh :p

told him to tell me his requested username and i'll pm evilore or another mod about it

itshappening.gif

Yeah Im hoping for more substance for future DLC.

I'd like to pay more for bigger packs. If the frequency of the smaller packs is often enough, that'd be nice. But I'd honestly put like $10 for a pack with more toppers, flags, vehicles... I'd also pay for new soundtracks. Adding that new soundtrack to the game was really cool.

I imagine that toppers and flags are being withheld because they want to make some of them rewards for ranked seasons.

I'd also love to buy more team colours. If I play with my friends, I'd love to select something other than blue/orange. If I could play as a green or gray team, that'd be so cool. Season mode's colours are awesome because of that. Having one side of the map be filtered to your team's colour just makes the game feel so personalized.

I wonder if they plan to add other things. I know some people want custom celebration callouts (so instead of saying "GOAL!", something custom gets said). That'd be a nice way to make scoring more personalized.

They could probably even sell custom text for when you explode. So instead of "Boom!" it could say something else like "Aww!"

I don't know, I'd buy a crapload of cosmetic stuff for this game.

Haunted

Game definitely needs more motivational shortcuts.

"This is it!"
"We can do it!"
"Let's go!"
"WE IN THERE"

etc

Played against a team with a Veteran on their side (other 5 were all Semi-Pro) - that dude/dudette was really good. Won basically every header they were involved in by going aerial slightly earlier than everyone else, "dribbled" with clever boosting and jumping a couple times, and generally had better angles than everyone else. I think they averaged around 900+ points in every single game. Just dominating everyone else (including the two teammates) completely.

Is the ball glitching for anyone else? Whenever I get close to it, it becomes a funny purple-sparkly colour. I kinda like the look though.

I see you've unlocked Disco Ball DLC

Game definitely needs more motivational shortcuts.

"This is it!"
"We can do it!"
"Let's go!"
"WE IN THERE"

etc

Played against a team with a Veteran on their side (other 5 were all Semi-Pro) - that dude/dudette was really good. Won basically every header they were involved in by going aerial slightly earlier than everyone else, "dribbled" with clever boosting and jumping a couple times, and generally had better angles than everyone else. I think they averaged around 900+ points in every single game. Just dominating everyone else (including the two teammates) completely.

Oh yeah definitely.

IMO, four of the most important phrases needed:

"Lol!" "Well Played" "We can do this!" "Hello!/Good Luck!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom