• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

yea the glasses def work!

ThisImprobableItalianbrownbear.gif

they just gotta deal :(

Salsa

game with random. tied. go to extra time. team mate closer to ball

team mate shouts "I GOT IT!"

go

dude does nothing. stands still

my blood, it boils

Lol. And it's bizarre opposite:

game with random. tied. go to extra time. team mate closer to ball

team mate shouts "DEFENDING!"

go

dude boosts out of goal for KO. ball deflects off wall into unmanned net. dude blows up, quitting match.

thanks dudes!

Dig the Scarab. I tried for about 20 minutes to go for the gold trophy (win a match w/ shark fin vs. unfair bots) and called it quits after a bunch of restarts; I will say that playing an unfair match, even 1v2, helped to teach me far better defensive strategies and I can tell I'm getting slowly better (I normally just screw around through a Season vs. Rookie bots). Still, that'll be a tough trophy for me to get.

Dig the Scarab. I tried for about 20 minutes to go for the gold trophy (win a match w/ shark fin vs. unfair bots) and called it quits after a bunch of restarts; I will say that playing an unfair match, even 1v2, helped to teach me far better defensive strategies and I can tell I'm getting slowly better (I normally just screw around through a Season vs. Rookie bots). Still, that'll be a tough trophy for me to get.

Took me about two hours and infuriated me the entire time. They are always on mark. I finally beat them by trying to get a lead early then playing defense and only making an offensive push while they were both on offense.

Dominator

How did I do this with Unfair bots? They didn't even score on me, I feel invincible. Is the AI difficulty low because there are more of them then you?

12140719_10153631217172410_4267286434750371618_n_zps7ffsjfjb.jpg

This was for the trophy with the shark fin lol

Dominator

The most humble of humblebrags lol

Still, *tips hat* that is damn impressive.
I am genuinely curious about the difficulty of them being lower since there is more, but hell yes I'm bragging I felt so good lol thanks.

Really enjoying the new night tracks. The train station at night is now my favorite stadium.

Dr Prob

Banned
Only time the bots are really dangerous in that 1v2 scenario is if you get behind a play (miss an aerial, thwack the ball hard off the walls around their net, etc.) and they get a breakaway. Being bots, they generally won't mess those up, but by the same token they also seem to just randomly wander around from time to time or just flat out let you score. It's almost as if the harder you try the more difficult that trophy becomes. Provided you can turn away a few shots here and there, just sitting in the net and waiting for them to go to sleep is probably the easiest way to do it.

The most annoying trophy imo (not coincidentally, the last one I need!) is having to play through another season (from the last dlc) after already doing one for the first set of trophies. If they make us do another one later on I'm writing my congressman.

Yeah I don't play this game with randoms on my team unless it's unranked of course.

Well actually I just started playing ranked Solo Standard and I liked it.

I think its crap when all players play through most of the game and then one person on the other team leaves and then the winning team only gets half the points(2v2).

The winning team should get the total points and the opposing team who lost a guy should only be penalized half.

DrkSage

Hmm, It's been quiet some time since I played with some gaffers. Anyone want to make a GAF server?

got my ass whooped in ranked and I need to have fun instead of taking this game too seriously :p

I am genuinely curious about the difficulty of them being lower since there is more, but hell yes I'm bragging I felt so good lol thanks.

I don't think they are less dangerous or handicapped because they outnumber you. They definitely played farrrrr better than the bots I normally play against. But yeah, you should feel good about that score. That was my jealousy talking ;)

The most annoying trophy imo (not coincidentally, the last one I need!) is having to play through another season (from the last dlc) after already doing one for the first set of trophies. If they make us do another one later on I'm writing my congressman.

Since I have yet to get the "Far, Far Away... " (500km) trophy, or all of the unlocks, playing through a season against bots is a quick way to rack up miles for me without having to resort to rubberbanding my controller overnight. Put the bots on Rookie and create a season with the fewest amount of teams for the least amount of weeks. What's nice is you can stop at any point and go and play online, exhibition, etc... and when you come back to season play it'll remember where you were at so you definitely don't need to grind it out in one sitting.

Only time the bots are really dangerous in that 1v2 scenario is if you get behind a play (miss an aerial, thwack the ball hard off the walls around their net, etc.) and they get a breakaway. Being bots, they generally won't mess those up, but by the same token they also seem to just randomly wander around from time to time or just flat out let you score. It's almost as if the harder you try the more difficult that trophy becomes. Provided you can turn away a few shots here and there, just sitting in the net and waiting for them to go to sleep is probably the easiest way to do it.

Yup. The more effort you put in the harder the bots play. Specifically if you boost a lot and try to beat them to a ball they will put in more effort. If you flip for it or move at regular pace they will be less aggressive or pause / stutter.

So play defensive. Keep the ball in front of you at all times. Don't go into corners because as mentioned above if there is a breakaway or long shot open they rarely miss.
It's better to sit back and wait for them to hit toward you, then go for long goals or pop the ball up and follow with an aerial (bots can't fly) if you are able to.

The one good thing about 1 v 2 (or more) is you don't have to worry about your idiot AI teammates -- which while decent at scoring (when motivated) are absolutely TERRIBLE at defense. 90% of the time they don't even try to make the save / watch ball roll by, so for me unfair teams is about the same defensively, just much harder to score.

Robaperas

I played 2v2 ranked with my cousin on SA servers for the first time and... holy shit I've never seen so many quitters. 2-0 down? quit. Your team-mate missed a save? spam "What a save" and quit. I'm really amazed by it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anybody up for ranked 2s? Shoot me message on psn, I generally play from 11 am set to 3ish . But to start now not looking forward to the trash matchmaking.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Really just shouldn't have played. My love for this game is plummeting faster than my rank... I've only gotten better over the last 3 days and yet my rank has dropped 110 points. I don't know what happened in the matchmaking but it's so incredibly onesided. I'm usually frustrated/mad, but I just feel really disappointed kinda bummed out. By the last round as my teammate was flailing around missing shots, attacking when he should be falling back, crashing into me, etc etc etc I just didn't care anymore. We went down 2 30 seconds in and I just had no energy left to invest in this game.

So here's hoping a few GAFfers see this and toss me some friend requests on psn, otherwise I'm just not gonna bother anymore with randoms and just move on. It's just a game, it's just for fun, but constantly facing uphill battles (borderline 2v1) and losing every time just wears you out. There's really no other option, I guess I'll just occasionally play with friends, but once the competetive side of the game is removed from the equation, you're left with nothing more than a fun party game. Nothing wrong with that, but leaves me feeling like I wasted way too much time on this game.

Dominator

Really just shouldn't have played. My love for this game is plummeting faster than my rank... I've only gotten better over the last 3 days and yet my rank has dropped 110 points. I don't know what happened in the matchmaking but it's so incredibly onesided. I'm usually frustrated/mad, but I just feel really disappointed kinda bummed out. By the last round as my teammate was flailing around missing shots, attacking when he should be falling back, crashing into me, etc etc etc I just didn't care anymore. We went down 2 30 seconds in and I just had no energy left to invest in this game.

So here's hoping a few GAFfers see this and toss me some friend requests on psn, otherwise I'm just not gonna bother anymore with randoms and just move on. It's just a game, it's just for fun, but constantly facing uphill battles (borderline 2v1) and losing every time just wears you out. There's really no other option, I guess I'll just occasionally play with friends, but once the competetive side of the game is removed from the equation, you're left with nothing more than a fun party game. Nothing wrong with that, but leaves me feeling like I wasted way too much time on this game.
Why don't you play 1v1? It's the only mode I play when none of my friends are on and I need a RL fix. I think it's great and games can get quite intense.

Man is there some preferred strategy when two opposing players are going to hit the ball heading directly towards each other? I swear whenever I do this I always hit it and a majority of the time it flies backwards.

If you hit it first going head on it's going to bounce right back at you off the other player unless you hit it over them or under them (if they jump). Tactics include letting them hit it first so it bounces back off of you instead or hitting it at an angle so no longer head on. These are strategies you see a lot on 1 v 1 kickoffs.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Man is there some preferred strategy when two opposing players are going to hit the ball heading directly towards each other? I swear whenever I do this I always hit it and a majority of the time it flies backwards.

I jump right before I'm about to hit it. Front flip forward.Or you can do a slight diagonal to try and get it at an angle - that takes practice though.

The Scarab is the greatest. I only used the Hotrod (forgot the name) before.. must have had over 400 wins on it. The Scarab got me to switch.

If you hit it first going head on it's going to bounce right back at you off the other player unless you hit it over them or under them (if they jump). Tactics include letting them hit it first so it bounces back off of you instead or hitting it at an angle so no longer head on. These are strategies you see a lot on 1 v 1 kickoffs.

Yeah I do this during kickoffs(wait for a fraction of a second before going for the ball) and it usually works fine. Just harder to judge when the ball is moving and the players are at varying lengths. I'll work on it though.

I jump right before I'm about to hit it. Front flip forward.Or you can do a slight diagonal to try and get it at an angle - that takes practice though.

Yeah I usually just front forward flip, though I only actually jump up if I think the guy is gonna pop it up. Maybe ill start jumping first as well.

So here's hoping a few GAFfers see this and toss me some friend requests on psn, otherwise I'm just not gonna bother anymore with randoms and just move on.

I usually play between 8pm and midnight eastern. I'm up for some ranked doubles. If another person wants to join, we could play standard, too (3v3 is definitely my favorite). I'm 400 in both because I've hardly played them since well before the season began. I was playing quite a bit of solo standard, but endured a long losing streak. Realized I needed to be more aggressive in the middle of the field. The long grind back to silver kind of soured me. The more I won, the less competent teammates I seemed to get. I may not go back to playing with randoms in ranked until they tweak everything for the next season.

1v1 is a different kind of grind. Never played much since the beginning. Started at 100 and won six straight. Only moved up to 125. Would be fine to grind it out, but it's like a battle of who can embarrass yourself less since most scores come off mistakes. Think I'll stick to doubles and standard.

AcridMeat

Banned
Why don't you guys play normals? The ranked changes made it such an unsatisfying experience, but the game is as fun as ever not worrying about it...

Dr Prob

Banned
Why don't you guys play normals? The ranked changes made it such an unsatisfying experience, but the game is as fun as ever not worrying about it...

Yeah. To each their own, of course, but I haven't really played ranked since even before the changes and can't say that I miss it. Game is awesome, don't need the stress of minding that number. Plus in unranked you have the opportunity to get in with a good group which can be really rewarding and fun as opposed to finding new opponents after every match. Also, with nothing on the line you can feel free to try (and fail) some crazy shit with no repercussions outside of someone maybe going "Wow!"

"Thanks!"

Pepiope

Yeah. To each their own, of course, but I haven't really played ranked since even before the changes and can't say that I miss it. Game is awesome, don't need the stress of minding that number. Plus in unranked you have the opportunity to get in with a good group which can be really rewarding and fun as opposed to finding new opponents after every match. Also, with nothing on the line you can feel free to try (and fail) some crazy shit with no repercussions outside of someone maybe going "Wow!"

"Thanks!"
That works too, but I just play ranked for a more competitive game and just not care about the number associated with my rank. Just don't let pissed off teammates get to you.

I swore off on ranked months ago and haven't looked back. It's better in so many ways and recommend switching if you are fed up with issues of ranked play.

Robaperas

Got in a normal 2v2 and my team was 4-0 down, at 6-0 my team-mate bails, I get another one that calls me noob and quits almost immediately, then I got paired with a bot and we scored 3... what a mess.

Unicorn

I finally got around to getting a new CPU fan for my desktop (well, I got a cooler and a new case, but the cooler was too big for the fan, so I just replaced the old fan on the old cooler and transfered everything to the new case to better manage cords for airflow) and I was able to play this at ~50-60fps

I've logged 120 hours on a Surface Pro 2 at probably 25ish frames per second. This was like playing a whole new game.
EWmof.gif

Time to relearn timing... only to get fucked up when I go back to play on my Surface.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The ranked changes are mostly fine, but the matchmaking algorithm is a disaster. From what I've read it's basically this. Let's say you have 2 teams that add up to 1000 in rank points. I was 800 a few days ago, that means my teammate will be 200, which sorry to anybody in the thread at this rank, is a very very casual RL player. The other team will be 2 500s or in that range ( the range will be wider depending on how long matchmaking takes). 2, rank 500 players is really not bad, but when you have a teammate who plays like it's their first day playing the game, they can definitely do some damage.

What I really want is somebody who can properly rotate, and if I have to rotate to attack and fail, just be able to at least once in a while, make a stop. The problem is if you have somebody that dramatically higher 1v1 against this person or worse 2v1 they will absolutely burn you. So I end up camping the net and letting my teammate flail around and attack. Most of the games end up 1-0 in OT or in that range, because I can only play offense once in a great while since our goal is constantly under attack, and even when I do clear it out, I can't be aggressive at all, or my teammate is either A. left behind in case of a missed shot on my end, or B. doesn't know what a rotation is, chases after the ball despite me having control of it, pursues centered balls way too aggressively without considering the position of the D, misses wide open shots regularly, etc.

Normal is fun and all, and a great way to get practice, but I'd like to see some progression and get to the higher tiers, because I feel I've earned that. I'm still hoping one of my friends catches on and starts playing more given a local arcade that's quite popular holds regular tournaments. Like I said, without the competitive side you're left with a fun game, but nothing to really give a ton of your time to, and the current matchmaking makes the competitive side impossible unless you have a partner or 2 depending on your prefered game mode.

As for 1v1 I tried that and I liked it, but it's not really the same thing as the other modes. 1v1 is definitely about skill, don't get me wrong, but you'll see a lot of breakaway goals and it's a pretty clear, play offense if you miss rotate to D. With teams you add a whole dynamic in terms of gameplay- passing, defensive rotations, offensive strategies, etc.

Dr Prob

Banned
Uh-oh. Dissension in the ranks of the blue team:

GIpCQBc.jpg

That rarely bodes well. Also, butt shots are what's hot in the streets right now:

858687lsgn.gif

We've decided that the cars have butts.

The ranked changes are mostly fine, but the matchmaking algorithm is a disaster. From what I've read it's basically this. Let's say you have 2 teams that add up to 1000 in rank points. I was 800 a few days ago, that means my teammate will be 200, which sorry to anybody in the thread at this rank, is a very very casual RL player. The other team will be 2 500s or in that range ( the range will be wider depending on how long matchmaking takes). 2, rank 500 players is really not bad, but when you have a teammate who plays like it's their first day playing the game, they can definitely do some damage.

What I really want is somebody who can properly rotate, and if I have to rotate to attack and fail, just be able to at least once in a while, make a stop. The problem is if you have somebody that dramatically higher 1v1 against this person or worse 2v1 they will absolutely burn you. So I end up camping the net and letting my teammate flail around and attack. Most of the games end up 1-0 in OT or in that range, because I can only play offense once in a great while since our goal is constantly under attack, and even when I do clear it out, I can't be aggressive at all, or my teammate is either A. left behind in case of a missed shot on my end, or B. doesn't know what a rotation is, chases after the ball despite me having control of it, pursues centered balls way too aggressively without considering the position of the D, misses wide open shots regularly, etc.

Normal is fun and all, and a great way to get practice, but I'd like to see some progression and get to the higher tiers, because I feel I've earned that. I'm still hoping one of my friends catches on and starts playing more given a local arcade that's quite popular holds regular tournaments. Like I said, without the competitive side you're left with a fun game, but nothing to really give a ton of your time to, and the current matchmaking makes the competitive side impossible unless you have a partner or 2 depending on your prefered game mode.

As for 1v1 I tried that and I liked it, but it's not really the same thing as the other modes. 1v1 is definitely about skill, don't get me wrong, but you'll see a lot of breakaway goals and it's a pretty clear, play offense if you miss rotate to D. With teams you add a whole dynamic in terms of gameplay- passing, defensive rotations, offensive strategies, etc.
You should add me. We'd make a sick team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom