• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Puddles

Banned
Hey, so I haven't followed this game at all.

Basically it's like Guitar Hero, but you're actually playing a guitar?

jgkspsx

At a very basic level, yeah. It's sort of the anti-party game, unless you're friends with a lot of guitar players, in which case buy it.

I guess since people are posting pics, I'll post one:

1-036-036619-Washburn-D11-TBL.jpg

(From google)

Nice.
Just downloaded the MD pack. I think they're way too tough for me right now. Also, I hate that you have to be connected in order to play DLC songs. What's up with that?

Yeah it seems like yet another strange hinderance on PS3.

Will it be patched? I hope so.

If not people have found out as long as you are hooked into some kind of router it will think you are connected.

Maddog

They just put up FREE Holiday DLC for this. "Carol of the Bells" by Seth Chapala, "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" by Brian Adam McCune, and "We Three Kings" by Versus Them.

jgkspsx

They just put up FREE Holiday DLC for this. "Carol of the Bells" by Seth Chapala, "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" by Brian Adam McCune, and "We Three Kings" by Versus Them.
Pretty awesome. I like their in-house guys' stuff, even if sometimes it's Super Guitar World Practice Session.

mjc

How come the DLC packs are free but the individual songs are 240ish MS points each? Are the packs gimped somehow or are they just offering the DLC free right now?

jgkspsx

When the patch is released, I am going to put this back in heavy rotation. I need the riff repeater for some things now, and it's just too annoying to use at present.

http://theherofeed.com/3648/rocksmith-dlc-1227-the-black-keys-singles/

This week Ubisoft brings us three tracks from The Black Keys including: “Just Got To Be” from their 2006 album Magic Potion and two tracks from their new album El Camino “Mind Eraser” and “Gold On The Ceiling”.

Unfortunately this marks another inconsistency where there seems to be no “Pack” and instead we are destined to shell out the $9.00 to have all three tracks… Why Ubi why do you do this to us?

Got this for Christmas and have been enjoying it (Although it's pointing out how terrible at sight-reading I am).

I have my hdmi cable going from my ps3 to the tv, then I took the AV cable from the ps3 and hooked it up to the box for my sound system. I assume this is the correct way to do it. I still get some lag though. I feel like the notes that I'm playing are quite a bit before when the actual color note is on the screen. I know there's the hd lag fix thing, but I have no idea if I'm getting it close. Any recommended things?

Puddles

Banned
Just got this game.

Fucking hell, I wish you didn't have to unlock shit for the practice mode. I really just want to jam.

It's pretty fun though.

Got this for Christmas and have been enjoying it (Although it's pointing out how terrible at sight-reading I am).

I have my hdmi cable going from my ps3 to the tv, then I took the AV cable from the ps3 and hooked it up to the box for my sound system. I assume this is the correct way to do it. I still get some lag though. I feel like the notes that I'm playing are quite a bit before when the actual color note is on the screen. I know there's the hd lag fix thing, but I have no idea if I'm getting it close. Any recommended things?

Is there any post processing going on with your Audio System? Do you have "Game Mode" switched on your TV?

So I'm considering picking this up along with a guitar to take a stab at learning this wonderful instrument. I'm told the guitar included in the $200 bundle isn't any good, so I ask, is an Epiphone Dot a good starter guitar? I love the look of archtops.

I got the game on the 23rd. It's already way up in my GotY list. It's just do fun. If you're like me, someone that owns a guitar but fundamentally sucks, there's no reason not to try it out. It's very rewarding.

And obviously it's subjective but I think it's my favourite music game set list. Unlike RB3 I actually want to learn the songs. I've put more time in to Rocksmith than I did RB Pro in months, it's so much better.

So I'm considering picking this up along with a guitar to take a stab at learning this wonderful instrument. I'm told the guitar included in the $200 bundle isn't any good, so I ask, is an Epiphone Dot a good starter guitar? I love the look of archtops.
The guitar in the bundle isnt half bad for a starter guitar.

NEO0MJ

I got the game on the 23rd. It's already way up in my GotY list. It's just do fun. If you're like me, someone that owns a guitar but fundamentally sucks, there's no reason not to try it out. It's very rewarding.

Very true. So much fun to actually be able to play something coherent.

Will this game ever come out in the UK?

No one knows. Plus there's the whole name problem, due to a band already owning Rocksmith.

Puddles

Banned
I just heard their song "Lonely Boy". So to play that riff, you'd use a whammy bar to drop to the really low note, right?

bill0527

I got this game for Christmas for 360 but just now go to taking it out of the box today. I'm using it with my Fender HSS Strat.

I'm having very noticeable lag.

I know there's an insert that gives some tips, but I don't have the right cables or right setup to do any of that stuff.

I'm straight HDMI cable from the 360 into my Onkyo receiver and then from my receiver to the TV. I don't have that cable to do a digital optical connection and I'm not even sure where to find my RCA cables that came with the system.

I noticed there's some kind of in-game lag screen adjustment but that didn't do any good either.

The in-game lag is just for video lag IIRC.

Your only solution is to get some component cables and hook the audio up through them I think.

jgkspsx

There's an audio-only RCA/optical adapter that fits next to the HDMI cable, allowing you to use a y cable to plug in a 1/8" miniplug (or just use RCA cables to your receiver). Total cost from monoprice with fast shipping should be less than $10.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I got this game for Christmas for 360 but just now go to taking it out of the box today. I'm using it with my Fender HSS Strat.

I'm having very noticeable lag.

I know there's an insert that gives some tips, but I don't have the right cables or right setup to do any of that stuff.

I'm straight HDMI cable from the 360 into my Onkyo receiver and then from my receiver to the TV. I don't have that cable to do a digital optical connection and I'm not even sure where to find my RCA cables that came with the system.

I noticed there's some kind of in-game lag screen adjustment but that didn't do any good either.

setup your receiver to direct will help eliminate some lag

Finally imported this, and played it to death over Christmas with the family. It's superb and pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I've been playing guitar for about 11 years now, and already grasped pretty much all the techniques needed to play the songs within, but have still improved in a huge number of ways and filled the gaps of my knowledge with all kinds of seventh chords etc that I really should have known by now but didn't. It's not really a "game", but for an intermediate guitar player like me who has long since reached a plateau in playing ability, it's revelatory, and my sister who has some basic experience playing guitar also found it a blast and picked up songs quickly.

Having said that, there are problems. Being in the UK I had to import the PS3 version due to Microsoft's sickening late 90's style region protection bullshit. Lucky I get to play it on PS3 at least then, eh? But no, as the PS3 version is clearly inferior and in fact seems to be an afterthought compared to the Xbox version. Why do I say this? Three words: Tom Petty Bug.

The forum is awash with people complaining about this, because the game is literally broken on PS3. At some point in the game you WILL get this song as an encore in the "event" mode, and it always crashes the game on completion, making progress impossible. You can still of course play the songs individually and use the game's other features, but one of the core hooks, the way the game progresses in a structured manner to actually teach you new things, is completely fucked (People say to replace a song in the set with Good Enough and it apparently no longer comes up as an encore song. This does not work for me).

That's without including the other many many serious crash/freeze bugs, which may or may not randomly corrupt your saved game, robbing you of possibly days or even weeks' worth of effort. The Xbox version apparently has its own share of crashes and freezes, but nothing as catastrophic as the above disasters. Apparently buying the extra DLC songs makes it ten times worse, too. Good job Ubisoft!

Then you've got the usual limitations with the PS3. Sony's super advanced console somehow cannot manage such basic stuff as playing an MP3 track while a game is currently running. So there was me thinking I'd be clever and take advantage of the game's amp mode by sticking on some songs I like that are not in the game and play along. But you can't. I know this is probably common knowledge to many, but frankly I don't have too many reasons to turn on my PS3, and finally realising that this was impossible after messing around with my NAS and various memory sticks made my jaw drop in stunned incomprehension.

You also can't install the game to hard disk, making the frequent and inexplicable bouts of loading even more frustrating and lengthy. Then there's changing profiles. The way the game works means you will want multiple profiles if more than one person is going to play the game, as the songs adjust to the player's skill level. If one person is great at the game and another a complete beginner, the songs will be completely out of wack for each person and not fun to play. But of course on PS3 you can't quickly sign in and out if someone else wants to play at a gathering. You have to exit the whole freaking game, sign into PSN as someone else, and then wait as the blu ray slowly chugs its way back to the title screen again. This is living.

The patch to fix the worst of the PS3 bugs was meant to be released before Christmas, and is apparently "finished". Then it got set back to "end of January". Let's hope that's not the "January" in the same calendar that lists the euphemistic "May" as the date of release of the not-at-all-clearly-cancelled-and-never-coming-out-no-siree PC version, right?

The PS3 version does have its issues but, thus far I have been able to find work-arounds to any I have run into. I haven't hit the Tom Petty bug though, just the long set list one and some other minor annoyances.

FWIW, they say that the PC version was delayed because they put more importance on getting this patch out by the end of January (and of course DLC). The developers are active with the community so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit; especially since they are a small team for such a large title.

HeySeuss

Just started playing this for 360 and I can already tell this will help quite a bit. Using my daughters acoustic and it works just fine. Some of the notes weren't registering at first but then I remembered to increase the volume on the guitar and it works very well.

Only 2 songs in but playing ducks and practicing the notes are really fun games in their own right. I think I will get quite a bit of mileage out of this.

Oni Jazar

I got this game for Christmas (PS3) and have been loving it. Everyone keeps saying to not use HDMI for audio but I've got it hooked up to my Onkyo 606 with no issues that I can tell. Am I screwing myself?

K701

Banned
I got this game for Christmas (PS3) and have been loving it. Everyone keeps saying to not use HDMI for audio but I've got it hooked up to my Onkyo 606 with no issues that I can tell. Am I screwing myself?

It has nothing to do with HDMI itself, its just that since both the video and audio data is being sent through the same cable the receiving hardware, be it TV or receiver has to seperate and process it fast enough to not show lag. In today's TV sets where the signal goes through a crapload of video and sound processing to "enhance" quality, you are going to have lag.

Don't expect a cheap TV to be able to process the signal fast enough.

Don't expect an expensive TV that touts "super 3D acoustic bass boost immersion" to be able to process the signal fast enough, since the signal is going through extra processing.

Onkyo receivers are high end, which is why you're not experiencing lag.

My Sharp Quattron TV also doesn't have any lag, as Sharp knows to turn off all that post processing in game mode and the TVs are high quality with good, fast image and sound processors.

I would also expect people with some Panasonic TVs to not experience any lag when using HDMI.

Got it today, me and a buddy sat down for 5 hours straight and rocked it hard.What a brilliant game, I was actually gonna start going for lessons, but this is better than lessons in every way,If your starting to play, this purchase is a no brainier.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hehe, last night i was trying to up the level % of Plug in baby by Muse, i know how to play this song since years now but it kept fucking me over when i tried to follow the odd dumbed down patterns on screen. So for the fun of it, i closed my eyes and just followed the music, went from 60% to 100% without losing a life. BAM

I love this game.

Top Bottom