• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

DrBo42

Hehe, last night i was trying to up the level % of Plug in baby by Muse, i know how to play this song since years now but it kept fucking me over when i tried to follow the odd dumbed down patterns on screen. So for the fun of it, i closed my eyes and just followed the music, went from 60% to 100% without losing a life. BAM

I love this game.

Yeah sometimes the way they'll present it at around 80% is harder to play than the actual full song. I still can't do that riff properly, I need a patch where I can set the speed.

K701

Banned
It has nothing to do with HDMI itself, its just that since both the video and audio data is being sent through the same cable the receiving hardware, be it TV or receiver has to seperate and process it fast enough to not show lag. In today's TV sets where the signal goes through a crapload of video and sound processing to "enhance" quality, you are going to have lag.

Don't expect a cheap TV to be able to process the signal fast enough.

Don't expect an expensive TV that touts "super 3D acoustic bass boost immersion" to be able to process the signal fast enough, since the signal is going through extra processing.

Onkyo receivers are high end, which is why you're not experiencing lag.

My Sharp Quattron TV also doesn't have any lag, as Sharp knows to turn off all that post processing in game mode and the TVs are high quality with good, fast image and sound processors.

I would also expect people with some Panasonic TVs to not experience any lag when using HDMI.

OK, so all this time I've been playing at like 1 am with the volume really low so I didn't notice it, but my set does lag with HDMI :p.

I don't have external TV speakers... but I do have a guitar amplifier. I tried hooking it up to the PS3 and it works perfectly... But could I end up damaging the amp's electronics? or the speaker? It's a vox ad30vt if it matters.

I've noticed my first game-crashing glitch. If the setlist is huge (like Freebird huge), the game can't handle it and it'll freeze.

I currently have a 5 song 25 minute setlist and by the time the last song loads (Freebird), it crashes. You can still hear your guitar and play it at nothingness but the system will freeze and you'll need to restart (and lose your progress).

I'll try removing Freebird and see what happens.

jgkspsx

Ashes to Ashes would have been pretty awesome, even if the guitar isn't much. I'd have loved anything off Scary Monsters.

At least it's not Blue Jean.

Tek

picked this up due to the amazon gold box deal and it arrived today. I'm curious to see if I will have any lag.

My setup is slim 360 - hdmi to tv and optical cable to receiver. Any ideas?

jgkspsx

Every time this thread is bumped, my heart skips a beat. "Is the patch out??"

I really want to get back to this, but I really need the update before I will return.

JkUeZ.png

Patch tomorrow. I've got like four events ready to completely crush now my DLC won't make the game crash.

Patch is out now!

Just quickly messed about with it before bed. They've made some interesting changes to the riff repeater:

Good

Pressing start while playing now reveals an extra menu option that lets you change the mastery level. You can use this to boost a level up to 100% (and interestingly you can also de-level a section, even back to the start level). It seems if you beat it you go straight to that level, so I assume now you could jump to 100% instantly if you were good enough?

Bad

You no longer have 5 lives in riff repeater!
...But instead you now have 30. There seems to be no way to change this that I noticed, either. Might sound a lot to the uninitiated, but trying to learn the most difficult solos in this game (i.e. Free Bird) will probably take the average player easily ten times as many lives to achieve. Why was this not made infinite for God's sake?

Haven't tested the the event crashes yet, but despite how shoddily this game has been handled I still can't imagine them having the gall to release a patch without that fixed.

Also, apparently next Tuesday will see the next DLC release, which will consist in some way of Pearl Jam track(s).

I messed around with it a little as well.

The lag calibration is usable now. The improved tuner is just the same tuner as in the Tuning section but, you can access it before a song...which I guess is better. Other than that it was getting too late for me to run an 8 song set list so I'm going to check on that tonight. I hope it's fixed....

Also, WTF @ 30 lives? Why 30?

EDIT: Seems like they fixed the crashing!!!!!!!

So can anyone give me an update on the lad calibrator stuff?

I have yet to buy the game, but I was just wondering if lag through HDMI still happens? Or if the calibration is something different?

Fixed1979

Patch is out now!

Just quickly messed about with it before bed. They've made some interesting changes to the riff repeater:

Good

Pressing start while playing now reveals an extra menu option that lets you change the mastery level. You can use this to boost a level up to 100% (and interestingly you can also de-level a section, even back to the start level). It seems if you beat it you go straight to that level, so I assume now you could jump to 100% instantly if you were good enough?

Bad

You no longer have 5 lives in riff repeater!
...But instead you now have 30. There seems to be no way to change this that I noticed, either. Might sound a lot to the uninitiated, but trying to learn the most difficult solos in this game (i.e. Free Bird) will probably take the average player easily ten times as many lives to achieve. Why was this not made infinite for God's sake?

Haven't tested the the event crashes yet, but despite how shoddily this game has been handled I still can't imagine them having the gall to release a patch without that fixed.

Also, apparently next Tuesday will see the next DLC release, which will consist in some way of Pearl Jam track(s).

Has the tuner been fixed?

Also the lives thing is bullshit, it was shitty to have 5 lives and changing it to 30 lives is no better.

I messed around with it a little as well.

The lag calibration is usable now. The improved tuner is just the same tuner as in the Tuning section but, you can access it before a song...which I guess is better. Other than that it was getting too late for me to run an 8 song set list so I'm going to check on that tonight. I hope it's fixed....

Also, WTF @ 30 lives? Why 30?

EDIT: Seems like they fixed the crashing!!!!!!!

So the tuner still doesn't tune properly...fucking hell.

Has the tuner been fixed?

Also the lives thing is bullshit, it was shitty to have 5 lives and changing it to 30 lives is no better.
It's not ideal but 30 is definitely better than 5. I don't know what the perfect number would be (aside from the obvious infinite or removed) but I think 30 is pretty close to the maximum number of attempts that anyone would want before moving onto something else, and the effect should be more pronounced if the ability to maximize level works as it sounds.

Also, what's the tuner complaint? That it's too loose with tuning? I use my clip-on for fine tuning so I guess it doesn't bother me much but I can see how it could be annoying if you don't have a clip-on.

Fixed1979

It's not ideal but 30 is definitely better than 5. I don't know what the perfect number would be (aside from the obvious infinite or removed) but I think 30 is pretty close to the maximum number of attempts that anyone would want before moving onto something else, and the effect should be more pronounced if the ability to maximize level works as it sounds.

Also, what's the tuner complaint? That it's too loose with tuning? I use my clip-on for fine tuning so I guess it doesn't bother me much but I can see how it could be annoying if you don't have a clip-on.

It is incredibly loose with tuning, my Gretsch has a hard time staying in tune for very long and eventually it gets to a point where I have to plug into a separate tuner to get back in tune. I had purposely put it ~full step off before (on one of the strings) just to see what would happen, the tuner didn't notice...

http://theherofeed.com/3790/rocksmith-1-02-patch-released/

1. The user is now able to select ‘Songs’ from the Multiplayer Post Play screen, allowing them to select a new song without having to re-calibrate the guitar each time
2. A fix has been entered to disqualify any Guitarcade Game score that was gotten through exploitation of the Pause Button. A warning message appears on the Pause Screen informing the user that pausing the game again will disqualify their score from the leaderboards
3. The amount of lives that the user has in Riff Repeater has been increased to 30 when selected from Event Manager or Song selection.
4. The user is now able to invoke the precision tuner before quick-tuning in any song or event, excluding multiplayer
5. The user is now able to select their own “Phrase Mastery” level in the Pause Menu of Riff Repeater activities. Completing the phrase on the set level carries that progress into the full song, unless the new phrase level is LOWER than what has actually been achieved naturally
6. The user can now start new songs at a HIGHER phrase level if they are good enough (Level 7 as opposed to Level 5), and they can also level up high-level phrases with fewer correct repetitions
7. A fix has been implemented so that the “Satisfaction” Single Note arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode
8. A fix has been implemented so that the “Do You Remember” Chord arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode.
9. Lag Correction will be a new feature in the Options menu to adjust the difference between sound and how fast notes appear
10. General stability improvements to fix crashes

- The Songs menu option is also in the Post Play Menu. Select this option after a song to jump straight to the song list.
- When the user sets Phrase levels to Highest in the Options menu, the game will return their base difficulty level for new songs to their higher phrase level.

Figured I'd post the full patch notes from FB here

So can anyone give me an update on the lad calibrator stuff?

I have yet to buy the game, but I was just wondering if lag through HDMI still happens? Or if the calibration is something different?

All the lag calibrator does is adjust VIDEO lag. The game can be altered to show the notes too soon, which then counter-acts any lag caused by processing of the picture. It's physically impossible to "fix" the audio lag without a time machine.

On the same subject, I originally started playing the game using optical audio out. This seemed fine, but there was a very slight lag that I only really noticed in a few situations such as the loading screen when you can play, and a few songs. Even so, it made certain songs (e.g. Kings of Leon's 'Use Somebody') ridiculously hard to play in time. I had my Onkyo receiver set to direct audio, but it made no difference.

In the end I fixed it by plugging in a component cable at the same time, and using the analogue audio. This made things absolutely perfect. I assumed before with the optical out that maybe this was just how the game was supposed to be, with a tiny lag, but now it's genuinely imperceptible. I really don't think it's possible to play this game properly without a seperate hifi/receiver and ANALOGUE (audio) cables.

jgkspsx

So the tuner still doesn't tune properly...fucking hell.
The tuner IS fixed. There's the useless quick tune before a song, or you can hit a button and it brings up a real tuner. It's 1000% better for me. Then again, I can tune by ear pretty well.

The tuner is better in that you can use a more precise one before a song. I still found the precision tuner to not be as accurate as the tuner that I use outside of (and before playing) the game.

It will work for the game, I'm just uber-picky about being perfectly in tune.

So they didn't change anything in the accelerator? For example, the ability to manually set the speed and level?

You can set the level in the accelerator but I didn't see anything for speed. IMO being able to set the level to 100% and have the accelerator knock me down to, say, 85% speed is an acceptable fix, although not ideal, and it doesn't "save" your level if you beat it at 100% speed/level in the accelerator (it only does this in the leveler).

At this point there needs to be either a Rocksmith 2 or a PC version that gets modded. The patch wasn't nearly comprehensive enough to fix a lot of the small issues that build up to a larger negative, although I will say that the leveler option is a big help both in progress and enjoy-ability, as at least a few of the songs have an unpleasant gap around the 80-90% level range where they are harder than 100% due to chord display and note inclusion.

DrBo42

Is there someone in here that owns the Epi Ultra III? Or the Ultra 339? Looking to pick one of these up for the nanomag feature, but I've heard tons of complaints about buzz on the Ultra III.

In other news, riff repeater changes actually make it do-able now. Cheers Ubi.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Is there someone in here that owns the Epi Ultra III? Or the Ultra 339? Looking to pick one of these up for the nanomag feature, but I've heard tons of complaints about buzz on the Ultra III.

In other news, riff repeater changes actually make it do-able now. Cheers Ubi.

Ya I own an Ultra III. I'm enjoying it..tho I don't use the nanomag all that much with Rocksmith. I usually just plug game cable into the stereo magnetic pickup jack and bypass the nanomag.

I've noticed some fret buzz since getting the setup done after purchasing it..I've been meaning to take it in to a local guitar Lutheran to get a fret dressing and more thorough setup(the one i got as free one with guitar was obviously a quick and easy only).

Other thing I noticed that wasn't listed in this patch.
When you get a new set list and start practicing songs if you fail to meet the score needed to qualify after around 3 tries it will ask if you want to lower the qualify value.

This to me is a great addition to keep the fun game factor going since I found once I hit 7th and 8th level the difficulty level ramped up to much for my skill level to keep up with.

Onemic

It's my guitar!(plus a floyd rose)

Honestly, Ubisoft needs to realize that the core of this game is Accelerator and they should work on improving it. right now, although leagues better than pre-patch, you still can't manually choose your speed and have it stay there even when you are perfect at that speed. AS it stands right now I have to purposely do terrible on a song in accelerator to get to an acceptable speed for me where I can actually learn the phrase at an optimal level. Even when that happens when I get perfect at that speed it jumps up to a faster speed, thus destroying my efforts of being able to practice at a speed that is comfortable to me. Lives need to be infinite, speed needs to be able to be set up manually, and you should be able to practice at any given speed for as long and as much as you like.

Ubi has to stop seeing this game as a "game" and more of a learning tool. The lives aspect is just stupid and needs to go away. Ideally they should have accelerator as it is now and the manual speed/infinite lives option in the system settings as well.

And question to those that have Bodysnatchers DLC, how do you play the main riff at 100%? It seems like some crazy mix of strumming/picking that I can't even begin to wrap my head around.

Hey guys! I'm finally ready to buy Rocksmith! But I figured I'd buy the game and guitar separate.

What is a solid guitar I can get? I'd prefer nothing over $200.

Top Bottom