• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

jgkspsx

Spotify, sir.

Eh, I prefer the occasional misfire that benefits my local record store to paying for a service when I already have 120 GB of legit purchased music. And I don't like their coziness with Facebook.

Plus it's the Black Friday RSD limited edition, so I should be able to sell without taking a loss.

JaggedSac

Very glad about the DLC coming every two weeks. Glad I stacked up on points from that 4000 point sale that happened a while ago.

Gotta pick this up for Christmas now. Rocksmith will really get me playing guitar more.

Megadeth with a track from Th1rt3en? Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

Hope that the game and DLC do well enough to warrant continued support from Ubi. I only have played a bit of guitar in the past, but Rocksmith makes learning songs much easier to digest for me, so if the DLC keeps flowing I will be super happy.

DrBo42

Eh, I prefer the occasional misfire that benefits my local record store to paying for a service when I already have 120 GB of legit purchased music. And I don't like their coziness with Facebook.

Plus it's the Black Friday RSD limited edition, so I should be able to sell without taking a loss.

I agree with the facebook bit 100%. The problem is that it's so damn convenient for me. I've never been that big into having albums or physical media. I only really buy the big Radiohead collector's releases on vinyl but I've never actually been able to play it. Haha. In other news, bring on the metal. I wonder if they'll be doing any album releases like RB.

Raistlin

I have some interest in this title. Are there any differences in the game and DLC between PS3 and 360 like rockband?

Also, what's this audio configuration that's needed to reduce lag? Why is it necessary?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I have some interest in this title. Are there any differences in the game and DLC between PS3 and 360 like rockband?

Also, what's this audio configuration that's needed to reduce lag? Why is it necessary?

other then some time delay mess ups dlc is the same.

what is suggested is you use the composite analog (red and white) audio cables for sound and not hdmi sound to your tv ..the reason being is your tv will add about 100ms or more of audio latency if it has to convert the digital sound to analog for its speakers..if you use the red and white cables to your tv(or audio receiver) its already analog out of the game console and eliminates the whole lag conversion at the display/audio device.

I use hdmi out to tv for video and have analog composite audio to hooked up to a denon receiver..i set the receiver to direct(no post processing effects) and it has no lag. with virtual surround ect there's noticeable lag

dejay

Banned
Yeah, I noticed the same thing - I need my Yamaha amp to be set to direct too. Funny how the PS3/360 can do almost instant DSP with the amp modelling, but expensive receivers lag with DSP.

Anyway, been having a blast. Even if you think you're crap at a song and barely scrape through playing it, you find when you come back to it later it's just magically easier. The way in which the game progresses you in career is deceptively simple.

My fingers are pretty much up to long plays again. Feels good. I found a big splinter in my finger the other day - don't know how it got there and I didn't feel it come out either. If only my whole skin was that tough!

jgkspsx

Anyway, been having a blast. Even if you think you're crap at a song and barely scrape through playing it, you find when you come back to it later it's just magically easier. The way in which the game progresses you in career is deceptively simple.
But getting to rank 10 requires a lot of grinding, and I can't imagine how I will ever get to rank 11 (the final rank). I think you will need to do well on master mode for almost every song to do that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How likely is it that someone can learn to play the guitar with this game having never played the guitar before? Or is that a bit unrealistic?

I'd want to learn the piano actually, but never bothered:(

dejay

Banned
But getting to rank 10 requires a lot of grinding, and I can't imagine how I will ever get to rank 11 (the final rank). I think you will need to do well on master mode for almost every song to do that.

Well yeah, in the end you have to put some hours into learning the songs. I said it was simple, not easy. Anyway, I'm nowhere near 10 yet, so I can't comment.

How likely is it that someone can learn to play the guitar with this game having never played the guitar before? Or is that a bit unrealistic?

I'd want to learn the piano actually, but never bothered:(

It takes you from beginner. Beginning is hard, there's no two ways about it. Everything seems alien. However, if there's anything that's going to get you motivated and interested, this is it. Progress never seems like it's not happening, so the sense of getting better all the time is very encouraging.

Saying that, it's a bit light on some subjects though - which is why you'd ask some questions in this thread to fill in some knowledge gaps and also you can check out a good free online site like justinguitar.com (donate to him are at least buy some of his music on iTunes, he's doing a really good thing for internet guitar learners).

If you're more interested in piano, perhaps you wouldn't be motivated enough for guitar - it's going to take many, many hours of practice to even approach being proficient.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Saying that, it's a bit light on some subjects though - which is why you'd ask some questions in this thread to fill in some knowledge gaps and also you can check out a good free online site like justinguitar.com

I was just going to mention Justin Sandercoe's free beginners coarse.

I think playing the game and going thru the beginners coarse and subbing in game mini games for daily drills would work great. His basic videos help so much on proper techniques and basic timing ect.

Raistlin

other then some time delay mess ups dlc is the same.

what is suggested is you use the composite analog (red and white) audio cables for sound and not hdmi sound to your tv ..the reason being is your tv will add about 100ms or more of audio latency if it has to convert the digital sound to analog for its speakers..if you use the red and white cables to your tv(or audio receiver) its already analog out of the game console and eliminates the whole lag conversion at the display/audio device.

I use hdmi out to tv for video and have analog composite audio to hooked up to a denon receiver..i set the receiver to direct(no post processing effects) and it has no lag. with virtual surround ect there's noticeable lag
And what if your HDMI is going to your receiver first? Or in my case ... HDMI goes to my video processor ... and the video processor has a dedicated audio-only HDMI that goes to my receiver or pre/pro depending on which setup I'm using?

I'll have to do some testing if I pick this up.

Drakken

My copy has arrived! Any tips or suggestions for a new guitar player who's gonna be trying to learn (at least initially) through this game? What lessons/songs are good to start with, advice on holding/playing the guitar, anything of that sort that might prove helpful? If it makes a difference, I'm a drummer, so I already have a good sense of rhythm.

EDIT: Also, how is playing this with an acoustic guitar?

DrBo42

My copy has arrived! Any tips or suggestions for a new guitar player who's gonna be trying to learn (at least initially) through this game? What lessons/songs are good to start with, advice on holding/playing the guitar, anything of that sort that might prove helpful? If it makes a difference, I'm a drummer, so I already have a good sense of rhythm.

From what I've heard the acoustic guitars don't register that well but I'm not 100% sure.

1. Decide off the bat whether you want to view the guitar in standard or tablature style. If you're going to be working off of tab while you learn, use and embrace that option.

2. Pay attention to the 4 highlighted lanes on the fretboard, get your hand in that position. Use all 4 fingers accordingly.

3. Run through Ducks in the guitarcade to get a feel for the fretboard.

The game does a pretty good job choosing which songs to start with, I don't have much to say on that one. Song 2, Slow Hands, Use Somebody, all pretty easy. Once you're comfortable jump into some chords, hammer-ons, pull-offs etc. Above all, have fun and keep at it. Welcome to the club.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
And what if your HDMI is going to your receiver first? Or in my case ... HDMI goes to my video processor ... and the video processor has a dedicated audio-only HDMI that goes to my receiver or pre/pro depending on which setup I'm using?

I'll have to do some testing if I pick this up.
I don't know. You'll probably get less lag from a receiver then the tv itself but i'm sure there will be some..try hdmi to receiver and set to direct and do some tests..all i can say is when i used analog and direct its perfect.

My buddy that's a gigging musician noticed lag right away till i set it on direct,then said that was fine to his ear.

Raistlin

From what I've heard the acoustic guitars don't register that well but I'm not 100% sure.
I assume if there are issues, it's due to the extra resonance/feedback an acoustic chamber generates.

If that's the case, you could try using a soundhole cover (sometimes they're called silencers, feedback busters, etc). They're typically used to either quiet your acoustic (nighttime usage) or for preventing feedback when using an amplifier with some high gain (gigging). You can get rubber ones for well under $10, though there are fancy wooden ones, etc. if you're so inclined.

p46261.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CT9717NW2S60CSVFMGQ

I'm sure there are similar priced ones at the usual suspects (musician's friend, zzsounds, etc).

Drakken

Thanks for the tips guys! I just got done playing for a few hours using an acoustic guitar, and I have to say, I think they did a fantastic job with this. Played through the first couple events, doing all the technique practices along the way. The game does a nice job of ramping up the difficulty according to how you're playing. I finished off with Higher Ground into Go With the Flow. On the latter I did well enough that I was eventually playing all the notes during the verses, which felt really cool. No chords yet, though - I'm not quite there.

The Ducks guitarcade game is a lot of fun, and I'm sure it will be very useful. I think I got to level 21 my first try. My dad, who's been playing guitar forever, made it to level 24. He got a kick out of it.

My main issue so far is getting used to using multiple fingers instead of sliding up and down the frets with just one finger. Palm muting felt kind of awkward/uncomfortable too. Additionally, there was some occasional feedback since I'm using an acoustic. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on an electric soon. Not quite ready to buy one of my own.

The only issue I had with the game itself was with the double stops practice session - even when I was sure I had my fingers on the correct frets and was strumming only the correct strings, it didn't register. Not sure what the deal was with that. Seemed to happen mostly with the green and purple doubles (top strings?).

Animator

You dont want to play this with a acoustic. Most of the songs have sections that take place below the 12th fret and those will be a bitch to play on the acoustic. Just get a nice used electric from craigslist or something.

phinious

Im having trouble. The top string isnt being picked up correctly when I press the 3rd or 5th fret. There may be more, but im just beginning. Its really frusterating when it doesnt pick up an entire string correctly.

Maddog

Im having trouble. The top string isnt being picked up correctly when I press the 3rd or 5th fret. There may be more, but im just beginning. Its really frusterating when it doesnt pick up an entire string correctly.

What tuning are you using?

Gav47

To everyone that hadn't picked up a guitar before playing this, what are your impressions of the game now that you've had a while to play with it. Do you feel you have learnt anything from it?

I'm really tempted to import a PS3 copy and pick up a cheap second hand guitar how that I have some time over Christmas.

Animator

There is a chance your intonation is fucked up. Get your guitar tuned up.

Acoustic owners: My guitar doesn't have a volume knob, and no matter how hard I play, I can't get the sound check volume loud enough to get into the real game. Suggestions?

DrBo42

Thanks for the tips guys! I just got done playing for a few hours using an acoustic guitar, and I have to say, I think they did a fantastic job with this. Played through the first couple events, doing all the technique practices along the way. The game does a nice job of ramping up the difficulty according to how you're playing. I finished off with Higher Ground into Go With the Flow. On the latter I did well enough that I was eventually playing all the notes during the verses, which felt really cool. No chords yet, though - I'm not quite there.

The Ducks guitarcade game is a lot of fun, and I'm sure it will be very useful. I think I got to level 21 my first try. My dad, who's been playing guitar forever, made it to level 24. He got a kick out of it.

My main issue so far is getting used to using multiple fingers instead of sliding up and down the frets with just one finger. Palm muting felt kind of awkward/uncomfortable too. Additionally, there was some occasional feedback since I'm using an acoustic. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on an electric soon. Not quite ready to buy one of my own.

The only issue I had with the game itself was with the double stops practice session - even when I was sure I had my fingers on the correct frets and was strumming only the correct strings, it didn't register. Not sure what the deal was with that. Seemed to happen mostly with the green and purple doubles (top strings?).

Glad you're having a good time. Using multiple fingers and some of the advanced techniques will be awkward, but stick with it, it'll pay off. I was having some issues with the B and high E strings as well (green and purple) but adjusting the volume on my guitar/tuning outside of the game seemed to alleviate issues. When you're playing the double stops, try muting the other strings instead of just missing them, there might be some vibration throwing it off.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Acoustic owners: My guitar doesn't have a volume knob, and no matter how hard I play, I can't get the sound check volume loud enough to get into the real game. Suggestions?

does the pickup use a battery? perhaps its low and needs replacing, sounds like the preamp isn't doing its thing

phinious

does the pickup use a battery? perhaps its low and needs replacing, sounds like the preamp isn't doing its thing

Ill have to check it out. If I lightly press the fret it sometimes picks it up. If Im the only one with this issue its gotta be something with my rig.

My buddy brought his gauitar, and it makes the same error. Him and I used the same strings. Wonder if thats it, or maybe my cord is defective

dejay

Banned

Do make sure the volume on the guitar is turned up all the way. Fiddle with the tone knobs and try different pickups. Your intonation might be off. Even after I set up my intonation, the 1st and 11th fret positions aren't being picked up properly when the game says it's in tune. I found that tuning to the bottom of the acceptable in-tune range on the top string helped with this.

To everyone that hadn't picked up a guitar before playing this, what are your impressions of the game now that you've had a while to play with it. Do you feel you have learnt anything from it?
I didn't know how to hold a guitar before playing Rocksmith.

I definitely have learned a lot from the game, but I feel that learning the songs is too difficult for me. I'm doing my best, but it seems that Rocksmith is intended for those who already have had some guitar experience. My main gripe is that the stuff gets hectic very quickly and there's no way to play it at a slower pace (alas, the Riff Repeater doesn't let you set the desired speed manually).

Still, it might be just me, and you will have an easier time with this. :) I'm not giving up too (never!), and the game has showed me that playing guitar is not impossible. I've started attending guitar courses too, as I've figured the game alone wouldn't be enough for me.

dejay

Banned

I definitely have learned a lot from the game, but I feel that learning the songs is too difficult for me. I'm doing my best, but it seems that Rocksmith is intended for those who already have had some guitar experience. My main gripe is that the stuff gets hectic very quickly and there's no way to play it at a slower pace (alas, the Riff Repeater doesn't let you set the desired speed manually).

Still, it might be just me, and you will have an easier time with this. :) I'm not giving up too (never!), and the game has showed me that playing guitar is not impossible. I've started attending guitar courses too, as I've figured the game alone wouldn't be enough for me.

I do agree that sometimes the game seems to progress too fast. It would be nice if you could choose to master what simple notes are presented first before allowing it to add new notes.

It's not like you can improve your skills by using the arcade games when many of them are locked until you've reached a certain level. I would just choose one or two songs and try and get better at them for a couple of night. Getting the riff down for Satisfaction, for example, is pretty satisfying (no pun intended) and not too hard (you can ignore the pulloffs for the time being, or just play them as normal notes, the game can't tell the difference).

_RT_

Hoping someone can make a recommendation for me.
I've been entertaining the idea of picking up the guitar. Thought this might be one way to get some experience playing.

I'm hoping someone could make some recommendations on a guitar I should consider. Obviously I'd like to keep price reasonable as I don't know if I'll enjoy it. At the same time, I don't want to spend money on crap that I won't be able to sell if I decide to part ways with it.

Suggestions?

Hoping someone can make a recommendation for me.
I've been entertaining the idea of picking up the guitar. Thought this might be one way to get some experience playing.

I'm hoping someone could make some recommendations on a guitar I should consider. Obviously I'd like to keep price reasonable as I don't know if I'll enjoy it. At the same time, I don't want to spend money on crap that I won't be able to sell if I decide to part ways with it.

Suggestions?
You could pick up the bundle which includes a guitar, which supposedly isnt that bad. The dude from justinguitar.com (a site you should really visit besides playing Rocksmith to help with your practising) recommends a Yamaha Pacifica 112v, which are around €250. A bit more expensive (around €325), the Squier classic vibe Stratocaster 50's/60's are really good value for their money, and so is the Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's.

No idea how much they are in dollars, but you can probably substitute the euro with the dollar sign.

Zeliard

I'm assuming you've tried the Accelerator.

I don't have an amp. Before I got the game all I had was my acoustic.

The game recognizes that I'm making noise, I just can't get the sound check volume high enough to progress into the game.

I've got a cheap chinese Strat knockoff. A total generic.

I had to REALLY bang on the strings to get through the sound check. This is with the volume knob on my guitar turned up to 10. It's kind of silly, because at this level in the regular game I get lots of string noise, basically accidental hammer ons.

Just use a thick pick, strum all six strings rapidly in both directions and eventually you'll hit the level high enough, I think. I probably stretched a couple strings out of tune but the tuning is after this part anyway.

EDIT: Shit, I misread your post. They *do* make soundhole pickups with adjustable volume, sounds like you might want to swap yours.

Fou-Lu

I'm a bass player, but I'm considering picking up Rocksmith to give guitar a try. My guitarist cousin may lend me a guitar for it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I really regret not picking this up on BF. I will absolutely have to jump on board next time it goes on sale.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

The game recognizes that I'm making noise, I just can't get the sound check volume high enough to progress into the game.

try taking your guitar and pickup to a local music store and tell them your looking to maybe rent or buy an acoustic amp <G> if it sounds really quiet with your pickup ask them what they think is the problem is it the amp or the pickup..then say thanks you'll think about it and leave.

while your there try another acoustic with a built in pick up and compare the volume

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

oh wait aminute is that the part where it says "play some noise!"
just strum up and down smoothly and fairly quickly seemed to do it for me..when i tried to just play with an aggressive attack and really fast it didn't seem to help

Top Bottom