• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

PS3 fixed watched the process of reflow and pasting. In and out just over an hour.

My training regime has gotten me pretty far with satisfaction.

Intro
Single note
leveler
Accelerator( I deliberately keep the speed at about 85 to 90% until I get good muscle memory).

Riff repeater, it has every thing you have learned in their for the intro. I stay here until I get good at muscle memory.

then start the process again adding another note.

EDIT: How can we get a patch with the devs. with an in game option to ask us too increase or decrease speed(dial up or down for speed). Also "add a note" option, I think this will make the game a little more enjoyable and aid the process much better..

firehawk12 said:
You know, I'm curious - is there a reason why HDMI introduces audio lag? Does it have something to do with the way the game processes sound or something?
It's your TV that does, if you have audio going through HDMI directly to your TV. Because when using HDMI the TV does processing on both the video and audio signals, which takes time.

Dynedom

LarryButz said:
Music Man Petrucci 7 string with whammy bar and piezo and other than that, Gibson SG Voodoo.

DSC00771-1.jpg

Omg hate you :( [/jealous]

Wag

Kind of dissapointed. No blues. You'd think they'd at least include a few BB King tracks like The Thrill is Gone, Freddy King, etc, etc.

noonche

So I've played for about 4 hours and I'm pretty impressed. I started playing with the rockband squire but that didn't seem to work very well. I was playing the ducks minigame and the game was always faiking to pick up the 3rd and 5th frets. I was only able to get to level 3, but when I switched to my ibanez I got to level 24 on my first try.

I think I find the notation in this a lot more intuitive compared to rock band 3.

The biggest thing is that since you can hear your guitar it feels so much better to nail something over rock band.

Also, I really like the technique challenges.

Edit: fixing my drunk-ass english.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Had my buddy over hanging out,hes never played guitar but wants to play Into the Void before he dies :)
Had him start from the beginning with different profile. HE was completely blown away.

At first he was really nervous..but did the little Satisfaction riff then started him on the song very easy, once it was done showed him the technique trainer and minigame that it unlocked.

The whole time he was laughing and smiling and after said "OK I'll learn to play guitar with that!"
So now I'm probably gonna sell him my Les Paul Standard for whatever the trade-in value is when I buy the Ultra III.

Part of why he was enjoying it so much is it didn't punish him for screwing up notes. We all know it doesn't sound right when he misses and having an artificial Clang/buzz noise makes it worse for new people trying the guitar.
He loved Ducks as soon as he saw it he was like " Ok I'm in!"

So great experience for complete newbie who's always felt "I'm to old to start now" kinda thing (we're both 40) to change that to "I could actually learn some basic songs and tecnicques with that" is pretty cool

Been playing some more this morning. Game's awesome. Love how it dynamically adjusts its difficulty to how well are you performing the song. Happened to me in Go With the Flow. I don't know the song, but once I got the main riff structure under my belt, I tried to show off my ass by hitting notes that weren't on screen (all correct) and then BAM! the game unleashes the full barrage of notes for me to play. It's almost like it said "too cocky, huh? well, have at it!".

Maddog

SteelAttack said:
Been playing some more this morning. Game's awesome. Love how it dynamically adjusts its difficulty to how well are you performing the song. Happened to me in Go With the Flow. I don't know the song, but once I got the main riff structure under my belt, I tried to show off my ass by hitting notes that weren't on screen (all correct) and then BAM! the game unleashes the full barrage of notes for me to play. It's almost like it said "too cocky, huh? well, have at it!".

Exact same thing happened to me with that song. Such an awesome feeling.

SteelAttack said:
Dude that's amazing. I'm really surprised they did such a good job with this title. I thought it would be a neat concept with a LOT of issues and limitations that I hopefully could get used to and work around, but it seems like it has gone above and beyond what anyone was expecting and simply works pretty much flawlessly.

jgkspsx

I love this game. I really wanted to love RB Pro Mode, but couldn't. It never believed I was doing the right thing, and not hearing what I was doing wrong was a killer.

Everything works so much better here. (Except palm muting and harmonics. It doesn't like my crappy guitar for those for some reason.) And keep in mind I'm still dealing with the HDMI lag, which I really need to fix one of these days.

Too bad you can't install it to hard drive. Load times are horrible, and the fact that it always wants to exit back to the "journey" menu is really irritating.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I regret not preordering to get the two free songs...what bugs me more is they aren't available to purchace now..not that I need new songs but goddamn i wanna play freebird now :(

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What's the lag difference between component and composite/RCA put through external speakers?

I imagine the difference being that my PS3 takes a little longer to pipe it all through an HDMI component cable than it would be to just send video through HDMI and audio through composite.

I don't really want to pick up composite cable when I have a component cable.

exhume

My weapon of choice :(

31TGBGhp2DL.jpg

Will be waiting on a domestic release in Australia as the company have hinted (stated?) that bass stuff will be DLC.

Ricker

toymachine said:

I will never be able to play that,even if I practice for 10 years lol...

What I`m finding hard right now is looking at the TV and not the guitar frets,especially for the notes,this isn`t GH with 5 keys to tap,are you really suppose to be able to never look at the guitar to learn basic stuff...(never really played any guitar besides some basic chords and silly stuff like Peter Gunn lol)

toxicgonzo said:
What's the lag difference between component and composite/RCA put through external speakers?

I imagine the difference being that my PS3 takes a little longer to pipe it all through an HDMI component cable than it would be to just send video through HDMI and audio through composite.

I don't really want to pick up composite cable when I have a component cable.
Composite/Component have zero lag. Both use RCA Red/White for Audio but different filters for video.

Medalion

Banned
Ricker said:
I will never be able to play that,even if I practice for 10 years lol...

What I`m finding hard right now is looking at the TV and not the guitar frets,especially for the notes,this isn`t GH with 5 keys to tap,are you really suppose to be able to never look at the guitar to learn basic stuff...(never really played any guitar besides some basic chords and silly stuff like Peter Gunn lol)
The game makes it look tougher than the song actually is, if you looked at a guitar tab it's much easier than you think, just gotta remember the sequence, minor variations, and play in time

Maddog

So my first day of owning this game is over and I played about 5 hours so far (3 hours of those were probably playing Rebel Rebel). It's definitely an amazing game and I'm definitely going to keep playing it for the foreseeable future.

However since I am a total beginner at guitar I'm afraid I may develop some bad habits. Can some of the more experienced guitar players here provide any tips as to what are common mistakes that new guitar players make?

DrBo42

shagg_187 said:
Ubisoft owes me DLC for life now... lol kidding.

Time to fire up the game! :D
Speaking of which, have they announced anything? I'm scared the sales for rocksmith are going to interfere with DLC plans. I hope it's doing well...I need updates on this.

DrBo42

Maddog said:
So my first day of owning this game is over and I played about 5 hours so far (3 hours of those were probably playing Rebel Rebel). It's definitely an amazing game and I'm definitely going to keep playing it for the foreseeable future.

However since I am a total beginner at guitar I'm afraid I may develop some bad habits. Can some of the more experienced guitar players here provide any tips as to what are common mistakes that new guitar players make?

I'd say a big mistake is using your index and middle finger for everything. Get your hand in the position the game describes (the 4 blue lanes). You need to build the dexterity in your ring and pinky. It sucks at first but it will help you so much down the road.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I messed around with the accoustic/electric for a few songs.
I think overall the game is more geared to electric in general. However if you go and pick the chord version of some songs(classic songs work) and strum along rhythm..it seems to work ok.

Not sure if game has an acoustic amp setup you can force to get the sound better or not..but haven't unlocked everything yet.

Inherently I think the problem with the acoustic is your not hearing the amplified sounds but the actual guitar..which even with the smallest latency ends up causing a slight echo effect of whats coming out of the tv or stereo speakers

Shadybiz

DrBo42 said:
I'd say a big mistake is using your index and middle finger for everything. Get your hand in the position the game describes (the 4 blue lanes). You need to build the dexterity in your ring and pinky. It sucks at first but it will help you so much down the road.

Yes, I never knew about these "anchor positions" before, and I can see how knowing them is vital to learning to play well.

I just got done "Go with the Flow." It was hard at first, but then I realized that they were calling for a "third fret A" and an "open E" at the same time, I did really well. At first, I thought they wanted a 3A and 5E, and it kept telling me I was wrong. Which..I was.

DrBo42 said:
Speaking of which, have they announced anything? I'm scared the sales for rocksmith are going to interfere with DLC plans. I hope it's doing well...I need updates on this.

I know of one DLC song coming they haven't announced.

I also hear it's going to be bi-weekly

Medalion

Banned
drtomoe123 said:
Just picked this up.

Can't wait to use my baby to play it.

keal4x.jpg
Better hope that thing stays in tune and you don't lose points for it going outta tune despite you hit every note perfectly :p

Maddog said:

I've made a few bad habits over the years that I can't really shake too well. One the way you hold the neck of the guitar. You're supposed to have it so that your thumb is arched with the pad of your thumb on the back of the neck (at least that's the way a book showed me how to do it). I never could get the hang of it that way and just sort of grip the neck.

Also, when you're playing lead or melody parts try and keep your fingers from lifting too high off the string. You want to keep them curved and close so you don't have to go far. Helps you play faster. You'll want to learn how to do alternating picking too. It's where you play with the pick going down and then up and keep reversing the direction. This is great for clean rhythm parts and solos. For power chords and sort of chugging rock rhythms, all down picks always sounds better to me.

For the best intonation, some people will tell you that you should just have your finger on the middle of the fret that you're holding down. I used to do this till a guitar teacher told me that playing with your finger on the edge of the fret, right next to the next one up, will give you a much better tone with less buzz. This isn't always possible, but when it is I suggest doing. Change your strings about once a month, or depending on how much you play. I normally change mine when they start to sound dull or become dirty and discolored.

Do a lot of stretches! Your wrists will hurt and you won't play as well if you don't stretch. Practice may make perfect, but don't over do it. Take frequent breaks.

I probably have more tips that I could give, but I can't remember them right now. I think that's enough sort of basic tips for right now though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dreamwriter said:
It's your TV that does, if you have audio going through HDMI directly to your TV. Because when using HDMI the TV does processing on both the video and audio signals, which takes time.
From reading the thread though, it seems to be worse than input lag found in the other rhythm games like RB or GH? Or is it just more noticeable because of the gameplay?

Fusebox

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
Not to blow my own horn, but I'm decent. I've got maybe 5 events left I think, although the last few have been recycling songs. It's really easy to start obviously, my issue is that it takes too long to get sections maxed out in difficulty. The events I'm at now you need to hit between 90-95 percent to progress, I got 95 percent on Rebel Rebel and ended up 300 points shy of the req, so that can be kind of frustrating. It gets challenging enough though, the solos are the slowest to progress, I recommend it if you have no problems with the set and want yet another reason to play your guitar.

Thanks for the pro impressions man, I can't wait until my copy gets here!

I'll probably alternate between using my RG550 and my S540 for this game, mostly because they weigh the least of all my guitars, here's some of them...

6274133487_7747d8fa2c.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Medalion said:
I hope y'all are better at playing Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones than Guitar World Paul was

He's actually a decent guitarist, I've been watching his gear demo vids for years - I think the problem is he's no gamer and isn't used to sight-reading a waterfall of multi-colored notes onscreen.

Fusebox said:
He's actually a decent guitarist, I've been watching his gear demo vids for years - I think the problem is he's no gamer and isn't used to sight-reading a waterfall of multi-colored notes onscreen.

That's why I looked like a fool in front of the cute girl who was doing the demo at PAX. I had no idea what I was doing when it came to reading those tabs, so I sort of sucked at it despite playing for so many years. I think when I get around to getting this, I'll have to get used to the tab set up.

jgkspsx

I think they did a great job with the tablature. Rock Band's wave is much harder to understand. I've never been able to understand how high-level Guitar Hero/RB guitarists play insane tracks, whereas the Rocksmith videos like (the admittedly easy) Bodysnatchers look perfectly understandable at first glance.

I hope this sells OK enough :(

I just reached my first 100K points in a couple songs (Satisfaction and Go with the Flow), they unlocked something called master events. I haven't tried them, because that sounds difficult, lol.

Xerxes

Neo Member
Weapon of choice: Godin SDxt

haU02.jpg

This game is so much better than I ever expected. This is what I've been waiting for since getting over my plastic guitar problem a couple years back. Some quick notes:

-Note detection is pretty much dead on. It's generous with the timing and pitch so if the game doesn't dectect your input, you probably messed up.

-HDMI audio lag is bad. The split-second delay is enough to make higher tempo playing echo-y and difficult. It's a good thing Ubi included the little pamphlet outlining better audio setups. Analogue audio almost eliminates the lag entirely.

-Like others have said, the UI is mighty awkward. I'm confused as to why they didn't include a simple vertical list for selecting songs. A lot of the menu design choices are a bit... odd.

-The colour coding of the strings works but it takes a while to wrap your brain around, especially if you're used to the GH/RB method of colours representing frets.

-I'm impressed by the amp/effect modelling. The tones match the originals as well as could be expected. It's a real treat to be able to plug in and play something that resembles the sound of the recording without having to dick around with your amps and pedals for ages trying to get close. Well done.

-The game plays back your recorded track during the post song stats screen. Fantastic idea, but I noticed my playing sounded fucking TERRIBLE during playback. It sounded like I was hitting everything a split second early. In order to fix the problem I had to turn off the lag compensation completely; tightened everything up. Since we play music with our ears rather than our eyes, a bit of video lag is more of a minor annoyance. If anyone else is having the same issue, I suggest giving that a shot.

Anyway, the game's a blast. Even after "mastering" a song I find myself going back again and again, trying to perfect my sound, eliminate excess string noise, to sound just like the recording. I cannot imagine a better practice tool. This has really given me the motivation to step up my playing.

Was waiting for this thread to start up.

I built guitars with a couple of friends back in 2005 and well I fell in love with the instrument but I've never been able to play (due to lack of time, motivation, girls etc...). There seem to be alot of seasoned players on GAF so I think this question won't fall on deaf ears.

For a complete novice, would this game be a good first stepping stone?

642j5s.jpg

Doubt it's a musicman Axis but it feels amazing. With all the guitars I've owned over the years, this is the only guitar that's felt more at home in my hands than anything else

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Cryptic Psychedelic said:
For a complete novice, would this game be a good first stepping stone?

Yep as long as playing something like Space Invaders or tetris, with a guitar works for you.

I ended up getting 100K on the chord version of Satisfaction, but when I heard the replay, the sound of my guitar was weird, like chopped. Sort of like the open chords never rang the whole way through.

Top Bottom