• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksteady hit by layoffs after Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League underperforms

Fake

Gold Member
I was already expect some part because there was a source telling that some of the Rocksteady workers helping the creation of Hogwarts Legacy definitive edition.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

imagine having the license to justice league characters but making a team up game based on suicide squad

Arachnid

You really want the people that touched this game making batman ? .. be careful what you wish for
???

apps.48167.66605680773719506.5b3e4fed-0747-483d-b407-2d6f4da8c3ba.fee54f3f-3547-4f11-9d52-70aa2f8f87a5

Am I missing something?

imagine having the license to justice league characters but making a team up game based on suicide squad
WB seems intent on trying to turn the Suicide Squad franchise into a tentpole. Even as a big DC fan, I just don't think the concept or characters have that type of mass appeal. This is especially true when the most popular character (Harley) has been so watered down over the past 15 years.

recursive

This totally makes sense. Get rid of the quality team not the DEI hires that destroyed the company and came up with the design for suicide squad. Winning strategy here.

Mokus

You really want the people that touched this game making batman ? .. be careful what you wish for
I doubt most of the employees had any choice on this project. Most likely the leadership forced it on them. WB wanted badly a GaaS game and probably the woke theme idea belongs to them too.

I have sympathy for anyone who lost their job who didn't want to make the game. I am sure many knew it was a rotten idea from the start. For all those who imposed this on everyone else, you deserve it. Sadly, if it's like any company I have worked for, the ones responsible are rarely the ones who lose their jobs. They normally just pin it on the cleaner.

Elginer

Expected. Another Sweet Baby joint getting what it deserves. I hope these companies are paying attention, we’re voting with our dollars and our tired of this bullshit pandering, it’s why I stopped playing spiderman 2.

StereoVsn

WB seems intent on trying to turn the Suicide Squad franchise into a tentpole. Even as a big DC fan, I just don't think the concept or characters have that type of mass appeal. This is especially true when the most popular character (Harley) has been so watered down over the past 15 years.
Yep, Harley is the only somewhat popular (B tier) character there and the source of popularity was going along Joker’s craziness and her being somewhat hot.

Take away Joker and make the character look meh, and Harley is not a draw of interest anymore. But I am sure WB’s equity consultants told them that modern audience will lap it all up.

Well, except there is no mythical modern audience, lol.

peek

Better than being closed altogether I guess, but still....

Nah, the entire studio should be closed after that disastrous launch. Or at least just sold off to some other publisher. Complete failure AND it actively hurts the brand. I legit wont buy a game made by them in the future, unless it goes above and beyond like x100.

Mokus

Oh so they forced them to do this ?

5nwIE00.jpeg

Edit: and even if they were forced, and I dont believe for a second they were, the problem dosent change.
In life often you have to do things you don't like.

And yes you are right, the problem doesn't change. Rocksteady while is not closed, it's a doomed company. WB will send their own guy to boss around the employees without understanding the video game industry.

Quasicat

How is that legal?
I don’t know about this particular state, but Ohio is a Right to Work state which means they can let you go for any reason they want.

I thought this was happening everywhere. I work for a public school and we had 25% of the district let go due to budget cuts. One of the people cut literally had a baby a few days before finding out she was let go. As they mentioned in the article, the remaining staff have to shoulder the rest of the work…it’s not like our enrollment dropped when they cut the staff.

At least in education and the gaming industry, this is happening everywhere.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
When you're so adversarial to your audience, why would you expect your game to perform or for people to be sympathetic to the consequences of that?

From top to bottom (not just the DEI angle), this was a mess that felt designed to be actively antagonistic to gamers. Mission accomplished, I guess?

poodaddy

Gold Member
Sucks to hear QA got the big axe first when we know they didn't have a damn bit to do with how bad the general story and vibe turned out. They were more than likely just quiet nerds who were doing their job; the people who deserve to be fired are the writers, scenario designers, combat designers, and all project leads other than art.

mdkirby

I really think the industry needs to scrap the whole “our games is secret, nobody can know about it until we’re 4-5 years deep in dev”. Announce it early and show it early, like they do with films. That way you can gauge interest. If you announce it any everyone screams “THIS IS AN AWFUL IDEA!!!”, you have a chance to rethink before spending the best part of a decade and hundreds of millions.

If the initial announcement is mixed, then you show it off and people are “LMFAO, this looks terrible, what the hell are you thinking with xyz” , but you’re only 2 years deep, you still have time to fix it. Everything I’ve read suggests suicide squad was a troubled development and went through several redo’s along the way anyhow, but all of that was done in complete secrecy, none of those versions met public critique (maybe the public response to one of those would have been better).

Concord is ofcourse another example. If they hadn’t made the whole thing and 8 years in a bubble, and shown it much sooner people outside their bubble could have said “this is terrible, you will lose hundreds of millions if you don’t make big changes”. This would have been blindingly obvious by YouTube dislike rates etc.

Release early, listen to the masses, and put particular weight on the opinions of the core demographics of the genre, not small echo chambers, and people who are a minority demographic for the game you’re trying to make. It’s really not rocket science, but we keep seeing these massive companies making very very similar mistakes in both games and film, and consistently losing vast sums of money.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Belittle your characters. Change your characters into something they originally were NOT created as. Pander to the lowest common denominator. I mean seriously, when will these companies realise that gamers, the LARGE majority of us, are NOT lqbthudbu+ pronouns fuckwits who are just social justice warriors. We just want to play games with good stories, with characters we can appreciate without bullshit thrown in to appease the tiniest of tiny twitter fuckheads who make a big stink over nothing!? When does it all end?

Anyway, fuck all these idiots. I'm sad when anyone loses their job, especially people with families but what did they think was going to happen? Create games we WANT to play. Stop pandering and get back to basics you fucking idiots! Read the room fools. Stop pandering to these idiots and you can make money.

Top Bottom