• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Round Four of the The NeoGAF N/A Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

ZZMitch

I am still OK to record both sides even when it is me vs. ZZMitch in the finals.

Kappa?

Lol, maybe I am being too modest but I don't feel so good about the tournament this time around. The new meta
Patron Warrior
has really forced me to reevaluate my deck choices. My go to Priest deck just isn't cutting it any more :( I am still trying to figure out a deck to use that speaks to me like Gazlowe Priest did for the last few months haha.

Hutna and TheChewyWaffles played with TheChewyWaffles advancing 3-1. I'm gonna chalk it up to good mulligans. Normally they aren't so favorable as they were today. Nice games Hutna! I have a feeling luck was on my side.

Fixed1979

That's only the second match of the tourney but, I'm putting it under "upset". Congrats and good luck in round two.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Can the match rules be clarified? Outside of the nominated class it seems like you can just replay your decks regardless of win or loss, is this the case? For example you could just play the same class for every game for a bo5. Or is this like conquest, one win per class

Can the match rules be clarified? Outside of the nominated class it seems like you can just replay your decks regardless of win or loss, is this the case? For example you could just play the same class for every game for a bo5. Or is this like conquest, one win per class

Like Conquest, but in reverse. Once a hero/class loses, you can't use it for the rest of the round.

Slashlen

What's the significance of the nomination then?

It's significant when you lose a game. Each side has 3 classes, and each time you lose with a class, that class is "knocked out". If you lose your Warrior in the first game for example, you can't play Warrior for the rest of the match. If your Warrior wins, you can pick it again for the next match or pick something else. Because you only have a few classes and certain decks are natural counters for others, losing a single class can be very significant. For example, if your opponent has Hunter and only your Warrior deck is a good counter, losing your Warrior before the opponent pulls out their Hunter could be bad. But if you're winning, then you have a better idea of what your opponent will be playing. If your opponent is down to just Hunter, you know they're playing Hunter and you can play Warrior for your best chance of winning.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I can see that this probably means normal last hero standing, but there is one issue with the wording that I found confusing, I guess the could've been a pm.

Each round will start with a player selecting one of their three submitted heroes to play. When a player looses a game that hero can no longer be used for the remaining games in the round.

I think the bolded is just a term mistake from Fixed. As it stands this says that each round, meaning bo5, will start with a hero selection presumably different from the hero per game selection, see games v round in the second bolded portion. I know it's probably just normal, but it is the official rules and I want to be sure before the tournament starts in earnest. Switching that first "round" to "game" makes everything make sense.

Fixed1979

I can see that this probably means normal last hero standing, but there is one issue with the wording that I found confusing, I guess the could've been a pm.

I think the bolded is just a term mistake from Fixed. As it stands this says that each round, meaning bo5, will start with a hero selection presumably different from the hero per game selection, see games v round in the second bolded portion. I know it's probably just normal, but it is the official rules and I want to be sure before the tournament starts in earnest. Switching that first "round" to "game" makes everything make sense.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree with your correction. The only time both players get to choose from all three of there submitted heroes is the first game in each round (or the start of the round).

By changing the the first use of the word round to game the entire tournament format would change because it would mean that each game in a round a player would have access to all three of their selected heroes, this is obviously not the case.

I tried finding some official rules from Blizzard on Last Hero Standing, this is as close as I could get. Swap any mention of deck with Hero class and we should be good.

best-of-five “Last Hero Standing” format, with 3 classes per player each match. In a “Last Hero Standing” format, when you lose a game, you must change the deck you are currently playing. Each player brings three decks and plays until one player wins three games.

If I do need to make a change to the rule or clarify further let me know, I'm not adverse to making changes for the sake of clarification. I spent nearly a full page replying to questions and fixing the rules the first time we did this tournament!

In the end; the only difference from the GAF version of LHS and the standard LHS is that we allow the winner to change classes between matches. This is because we don't do deck submittals and we allow changes to your deck between matches, it prevents the loosing playing from putting together a perfect counter deck for the one he just played as he can't be sure he's facing the next deck again.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Alright I get you, my correction was wrong as well. I think the clearest statement would be:

The first game of each round will start with a player selecting one of their three submitted heroes to play. When a player loses a game that hero can no longer be used for the remaining games in the round.

Make sense?

I'll probably just 0-3 who cares lol

Fixed1979

Alright I get you, my correction was wrong as well. I think the clearest statement would be:

Make sense?

I'll probably just 0-3 who cares lol

Yup, I'll look into clarifying it in the rules later today, but at least we're all on the same page. =)

No offense to Hutna but that's not how he explained the rules to me in game. I can blame only myself, though, for not reading up on the tournament format prior to playin. I used all three of my classes to go 3-1.

Fixed1979

No offense to Hutna but that's not how he explained the rules to me in game. I can blame only myself, though, for not reading up on the tournament format prior to playin. I used all three of my classes to go 3-1.

You could have used all three if you wanted to obviously, so no harm there. The minimum you could have used was two because the hero you played for the one loss would have been banned for the remaining games in the round. You made it through to the second round so no harm done, hopefully everyone is clear going forward.

EDIT: If there's something specific in the rules that would have caused you to make an error while playing let me know, but from the sounds of it we're all good.

hutna

Yeah I could have sworn it was worded "if a player wins with a hero they may no longer use it." I even double checked before starting our matches; it is also entirely possible that I suck at reading and it's completely my mistake. Either way Waffles won so there's no bad feelings on my end (other than feeling like I fucked up). I offer my apologies if it was my mistake. If you folks want me to recuse myself from future rounds I understand.

Fixed1979

Yeah I could have sworn it was worded "if a player wins with a hero they may no longer use it." I even double checked before starting our matches; it is also entirely possible that I suck at reading and it's completely my mistake. Either way Waffles won so there's no bad feelings on my end (other than feeling like I fucked up). I offer my apologies if it was my mistake. If you folks want me to recuse myself from future rounds I understand.

Not a bid deal at all. =) We'll see ya next round.

Wondering if you might've looked at last rounds thread by accident? We played Conquest last round and you would have been right!

bbutbut xanathus is like rank 5

Gotta watch out for those unranked players, some of them kids got da skills.

Xanathus

I think if you got some surprise good decks you might upset some longtime players

I've played it long enough to know that as long as your decks are good and you play optimally which isn't too hard, you're good enough to beat any "pro" player like Kolento because it's 90% RNG including randomly picking the counter deck to another deck. The tournaments are entertaining to watch but in the end Hearthstone is like playing poker without the bluffing element (ignoring secrets of course but bluffing those doesn't really happen often) which makes it an RNG game.

Dahbomb

GGs. God draw on the Priest vs Druid and after that it was Hunter city!

My fault though, I should've known to come in with a Warrior deck but I don't have Warrior cards so those were my best classes (plus I am really bad with Grim Patron).

I could've gone Zoolock instead of Handlock but I don't think it would've made a difference, Zoolock loses to Hunter about as much as Handlock.

Goodness, no. Sorry, I wasn't trying to point fingers at all. Honest mistake on the part of everyone.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Damn, I'm sad I missed out on tourney sign ups, i'll definitely sign up for the next one.

Victory Red defeated Special C 3-2

88iTjCU.jpg

Awesome games. Thanks.

Fixed1979

Alright, three matches left to go in round one, these should be completed tomorrow afternoon, if any of the six players left are having issues making their matches happen please post here or PM me...

The second round officially starts tomorrow (though the matches can be played at any time). If you haven't contacted your opponent yet, now's a good of a time as any to try to arrange a match for the weekend. Remember: The rest of the rounds are only three days long!

Top Bottom