• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MWR standalone out June 27, $39.99

40 bucks you say? Okay Activision let me check my pocket....
eoylg.gif

JoeLT

I'm still incredibly salty they released the game in the amazing form they did, and then dumped microtransactions, new weapons and attachments not in the original game all AFTER people had bought it.
Honestly I would have 100% not bought it if I knew they were going to do any of this, before the game came out their marketing was "keeping it 100% faithful to the original, right down to the hitboxes in multiplayer" Then AFTER the game has come out they destroy it. This shouldn't be legal with the marketing they had tbh, not that any of their fanbase seems to give a crap.

Why are warning labels that a game includes Microtransactions still not a thing yet?

At least put a disingenuous quote on the box:
"I love maxing out my credit cards to buy better stuff to kill freeloaders!"
- Whale

Daffy Duck

I'm still incredibly salty they released the game in the amazing form they did, and then dumped microtransactions, new weapons and attachments not in the original game all AFTER people had bought it.
Honestly I would have 100% not bought it if I knew they were going to do any of this, before the game came out their marketing was "keeping it 100% faithful to the original, right down to the hitboxes in multiplayer" Then AFTER the game has come out they destroy it. This shouldn't be legal with the marketing they had tbh, not that any of their fanbase seems to give a crap.

Agreed. I should've known Activision wouldn't be able to help themselves though, the writing was on the wall the moment IW fell on deaf ears.

Why are warning labels that a game includes Microtransactions still not a thing yet?

At least put a disingenuous quote on the box:
"I love maxing out my credit cards to buy better stuff to kill freeloaders!"
- Whale

Should use their beloved YouTubers

PrestigeisKey said:
I spent $1,000 dollars on supply drops and didn't get the new weapons.

JoeLT

OléGunner;241297356 said:
Wow 40 bucks!
So probably about £35-40.

Horrible price, not to mention all the micro's, loot boxes and additional weapons they added.

In case you need reminding on how much of a cluster fuck this remaster is by Jim Sterling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANu0vnISD0E

Can't believe I hadn't seen this. Sums it up, but I don't know how we're supposed to stop this? I love the CoD games and want to keep playing them, but how else am I supposed to do my part I stopping this other than not buying the game?

Can't believe I hadn't seen this. Sums it up, but I don't know how we're supposed to stop this? I love the CoD games and want to keep playing them, but how else am I supposed to do my part I stopping this other than not buying the game?

Buy used or really cheap.
Hit 'em where it hurts while still playing the game you love.

Yukinari

Im sure the community for this game is happy that their once beloved entry is back with overpriced everything.

Also im gonna need that tagline for future game covers.

So double the price compared to its value in the IW special edition, microtranscactions, continuous addition of non-cosmetic weapons/attachments that weren't in the original, and still likely having to buy the DLC pack with the """new""" maps. In a remaster, for a 10-year old game.

No thanks. $40 (whatever that ends up being in Euro) isn't worth it for a 6-7 hour campaign I've already played.

Also, lol at the guy who was comparing this to Mario Kart 8 and other recent enhanced ports. This isn't even remotely the same. For starters, this comes with LESS content than the original GOTY edition.

Catvoca

Banned
- Still 40 bucks
- Full of micro transaction loot boxes with game altering stuff
- Selling 15 dollar map pack separately.....that cost 10 bucks when it launched in 2008

7iDmZAa.gif

JoeLT

OléGunner;241299339 said:
Buy used or really cheap.
Hit 'em where it hurts while still playing the game you love.
Hadn't thought of that, might even just rent it for the campaign tbh.

Shiggy

This is no rumour. It's coming. It's also releasing in Europe. These are the product codes: 5030917214653 (PS4) & 5030917214578 (X1)

I just want my digital copy work without the IW disc. Any chance this happens now? I would play more Modern Warfare but the hassle to put the disc in ruined the experience for me.

Oynox

Diaregarding the price: is it really not worth picking up? I probably would not play it as "competitively" as back in the days anyways so are the microtransactions really that bad?

40$....

Wait... Are the DLC packages, that cost now more than they did back in 2008, included in this standalone package?
If not, holy cow.

alexbull_uk

$40 is asking far too much for a nearly year old remaster. Especially one with a $15 DLC map pack.

However, I think the reaction to micro transactions is way overblown. The supply drop weapons are all equalled or outclassed by base game weapons, and there are no extra perks or attachments to gain.

I wonder how many people complaining about supply drops have actually played this game, as it's by far the fairest implementation there's ever been.

Been waiting for this to release, and we all knew it would eventually.

On the fence though due to that price and micro transactions.

Lucifon

$40 is asking far too much for a nearly year old remaster. Especially one with a $15 DLC map pack.

However, I think the reaction to micro transactions is way overblown. The supply drop weapons are all equalled or outclassed by base game weapons, and there are no extra perks or attachments to gain.

I wonder how many people complaining about supply drops have actually played this game, as it's by far the fairest implementation there's ever been.

There very well may be but it's meant to be a remaster. This was the chance to re-experience mw4 as it was in its hay day but with improved visuals. Adding all these new weapons etc makes it a different game.

I think this is where the frustration stems from. Not to mention charging for the variety map pack again, and a higher price than on 360 for that matter.

alexbull_uk

There very well may be but it's meant to be a remaster. This was the chance to re-experience mw4 as it was in its hay day but with improved visuals. Adding all these new weapons etc makes it a different game.

I think this is where the frustration stems from. Not to mention charging for the variety map pack again, and a higher price than on 360 for that matter.

I honestly feel that if they had left it exactly as it was 10 years ago the population would have dropped off very quickly. Nostalgia only goes so far.

GenericUser

I'm surprised how many people didn't expect that price tag. It's basically textbook marketing what Activision does.

Selling it down from enthusiasts, to fans, to casuals, to newcomers. Recucing the price bit by bit. The cod franchise is way to big for such a title to directly go to a below 20 bucks price point.

Not saying it's good what Activision does, but Activision is running a business and not some kind of charity organization.

Fuck these guys man. I guess between boxing this with IW, the micro-transactions, shitty drops, lag compensation AND fucking kill trades. Don't these guys tire of fucking people over?

Unless people keep supporting this greedy shit, Activision wont stop being greedy.

well.

MWR ended up being my most played multiplayer game of last year (out of BF1, Titanfall 2, IW, OW and Blops 1 BC) and when it first released, it was literally an excellent remaster and played pretty much the same it did before, just with really nice graphics and sound updates.

Then they added the lootbox stuff after a month or so. It didn't really change the game in any meaningful way (though you could now play as a female character if you wanted to). As someone who never buys DLC or MT, I never felt that the game was ruined for me by the changes.

That said, yeah, just get a version of IW that has MW:R since IW (while having terrible multiplayer, made by worse by having access to MW:R) has a really good space opera single player campaign and its cheaper to get both. And zombies.

I'm surprised how many people didn't expect that price tag. It's basically textbook marketing what Activision does.

Selling it down from enthusiasts, to fans, to casuals, to newcomers. Recucing the price bit by bit. The cod franchise is way to big for such a title to directly go to a below 20 bucks price point.

Not saying it's good what Activision does, but Activision is running a business and not some kind of charity organization.

Depends if they have judged the marketplace correctly doesn't it? If they can three times as many copies at $20 than they can at $40 and have three times as many people to sell DLC/MTs to, then $20 is a better price given that marginal cost is very low.

I have no idea if they can do that but being business-like does not necessarily mean high prices. Sometimes you can make better profits with lower prices.

I would guess that the people that really wanted this, already have it. There are probably many more people that would buy it if the price was right. I'm not sure this is the right price for those people.

VariantX

Switch owners are paying $60 to play Skyrim and a years-old Mario Kart port. I don't see how MWR is a ripoff by comparison.

Switch owners are at least getting ALL the content the originals had, DLC included. MWR doesn't even give you all the maps and charges you for the rest, adds microtransactions, alters MP balance further with new weapons behind said microtransactions.

I would have been a over this for $40 if they had kept the game the way it originally was.

Loot crates and microtransactions and new weapons means I'm out unfortunately.

Damn shame.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Switch owners are at least getting ALL the content the originals had, DLC included. MWR doesn't even give you all the maps and charges you for the rest, adds microtransactions, alters MP balance further with new weapons behind said microtransactions.

I haven't really found this to be true to be honest. Not that there's no weapons behind supply drops, of course there is, but I haven't really found any to be better than the best weapons in the game like the M16 which is still godlike. However maybe there are actual tests etc that show otherwise, just going purely from experience here. But you're not going to be obviously outclassed by using the base weapons or anything.

Not including the DLC maps in even the retail edition is some moneygrabbing shite though, I'm going to be very curious how this sells.

forms

Well, that is exactly it.

I was extremely interested in this until I read about their plans for micro transactions etc. Nope. So many games, so little time for bullshit.

Daffy Duck

In all this I really feel for Raven, they did nail the game from the singleplayer aspect, it is still a top notch game and well worthy paying for again IMHO, the issue comes with the greed from Activision and the downright lies we had before the game released that it would be the game we remember, all those hands on from CoD VIP's giving it glowing reviews of being excellent, then Activision come along and force the microtransactions into the game.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Diaregarding the price: is it really not worth picking up? I probably would not play it as "competitively" as back in the days anyways so are the microtransactions really that bad?

The map pack is separate, despite this being $40. That and the microtransactions aside, it's not worth picking up given the changes they keep making to it.

Mad late, I was interested when they announced the remaster last year but I didn't want Infinite Warfare. They can keep the remaster now. Definitely not paying $40.00 for it. I'd only play it if it's free.

Top Bottom