• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainpann

Can you play ps4 games on vita using wifi while you are on vacation and your console is at your home?

Ive been able to play Destiny on my Vita, 600 miles away from my console. There was a little lag but overall it worked really well. TBT, both the Vita and PS4 were on fiber line but still on wifi.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If LCGeek's info is legit, and that we have a range for the CPU, this should not end up as spectacularly bad as those Wii U threads at the worse case scenario.

Agreed, and I actually believe LCGeek's info the most because Nintendo is on record stating the CPU was the major problem that held back the Wii U, IIRC.

If the gimmick is in fact a screen in the controller, how is it a new concept like Nintendo highlighted?

Wi-Fi remote play is also nothing new.

Agreed, but with Vita, a separate $150 accessory purchase was required. This would be presumably included in the regular console cost.

KTO

Agreed, but with Vita, a separate $150 accessory purchase was required. This would be presumably included in the regular console cost.

people have gotten remote play working on the android tablets they already have with DS4 support. I don't know why none of the console makers have caught on to this yet, but people don't want to carry around a dedicated device for remote play. if the rumor is true nintendo already made a huge misstep by not making this an app.

ZOONAMI

Doesn't Vita already do this along with PS4?

Not very well in my experience, lots of video corruption, lag, and input lag. The vita also doesn't have l2 and r2 buttons. I have 40 meg Internet running through fiber, and a $200 Asus ac router. It doesn't even work well inside my apartment, even through a direct connection to the ps4. I have had 3 different vitas and remote play was garbage on all of them. I have done all the vita and router troubleshooting as well. I think a lot of the people who say remote play works great either don't have very high standards, have never played on the wii u gamepad for comparison, or may be somewhat blindly defending sony. I think it may work well for people with insanely fast Internet connections, but that's about it. Lots of people have remote play issues. It's no where near the same level as the wii u gamepad, imo.

Snakeyes

people have gotten remote play working on the android tablets they already have with DS4 support. I don't know why none of the console makers have caught on to this yet, but people don't want to carry around a dedicated device for remote play. if the rumor is true nintendo already made a huge misstep by not making this an app.

Yup, still don't understand what they're thinking here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I get this, but you still have to carry around a dual shock. Either way I gotta put SOMETHING extra in my bag to take with me.

KTO

Not very well in my experience, lots of video corruption, lag, and input lag. The vita also doesn't have l2 and r2 buttons. I have 40 meg Internet running through fiber, and a $200 Asus ac router. It doesn't even work well inside my apartment, even through a direct connection to the ps4. I have had 3 different vitas and remote play was garbage on all of them. I have done all the vita and router troubleshooting as well. I think a lot of the people who say remote play works great either don't have very high standards, have never played on the wii u gamepad for comparison, or may be somewhat blindly defending sony. I think it may work well for people with insanely fast Internet connections, but that's about it. Lots of people have remote play issues. It's no where near the same level as the wii u gamepad, imo.

Sounds pretty similar to my experience, until i disabled power save mode.

Fess

Ive been able to play Destiny on my Vita, 600 miles away from my console. There was a little lag but overall it worked really well. TBT, both the Vita and PS4 were on fiber line but still on wifi.
There was a little lag?
And I can't even get "a little lag" when I sit 3 meters from the console :/ Haven't bothered trying it in some time now though, maybe there has been an update.

WiiU streaming on the other hand is snappier than my TV. But the range is awful, the signal gets cut off if I go upstairs. Very useful when the TV is occupied if I sit in the same room though.

I think you've fucked up somewhere because I (and many others) have been able to successfully remote play with a pretty damn good experience (and I have had a 24 Mb connection). I think it's hilarious that you'd rather assume everyone else is a Sony Pony than think that maybe, just maybe, your experience isn't indicative of everyone else.

The WiiU gamepad has a bit less lag, but you've blown the difference between the two experiences WAY out of proportion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

We don't know that they aren't doing this yet. Perhaps this would be part of their big mobile push?

Sony clearly caught onto it, that's why they disabled it! It's still available on xperia I guess?

ZOONAMI

I think you've fucked up somewhere because I (and many others) have been able to successfully remote play with a pretty damn good experience (and I have had a 24 Mb connection). I think it's hilarious that you'd rather assume everyone else is a Sony Pony than think that maybe, just maybe, your experience isn't indicative of everyone else.

The WiiU gamepad has a bit less lag, but you've blown the difference between the two experiences WAY out of proportion.

Well, note that I say in my experience. Myself and many others think remote play is garbage, so your experience is also just anecdotal.

Could be Sony's qc regarding wifi and remote play on their vitas isn't very good as well, as every vita I've had has terrible wifi. If I I have to go through more than 3 vitas to find one with decent wifi, there's a problem. Turning off power saving didnt help. Sold all three and am not trying again though.

MK_768

Yup, still don't understand what they're thinking here.

Nah. You don't understand what they could possibly be thinking. The rumor is incredibly weak regardless of how much we've been talking about it lol.

I think we've forgotten the validity of this rumor was seriously lacking.

Pif

Banned
I think price alone wasn't the issue, nor the lag and image quality.

Demand for remote play seems very niche.

I'm still hoping for a never seen before gimmick.

lyrick

I can imagine that the image quality is okay on a small vita screen, but using both the PSTV or the PC Application the image is pretty low quality. I have a very similar experience and a gigabit Hardwired router (doesn't matter for PSTV, but should on the PC [although it doesn't seem to]. It's not unusable, but it's far from the smoke people are blowing up each others asses. There's noticeable latency [even Digital foundry sees a 6 frame lag time (adding an additional 100ms at 60fps/Hz) which some can adapt to without issue, while others will persistently notice it.

ultrazilla

Agreed. I'm keeping expectations extremely low. The things 10k posted seem way, way too good for what I've been conditioned to expect.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Sorry but I'm not buying any of these NX rumors.

NeoGAF really, really need to walk back their excitement.

I think you're being worked worse then a WWE crowd.

You can go to jail for breaking NDAs. There's no way developers are letting
things get out like specs, etc. At most, a few small things may be legit but other
pranksters are jumping in muddying the waters with outlandish claims.

For example, there's no way on Earth I see a Nintendo launching at a loss. They've always made positive money on their hardware launches. Heck, it's pretty much one of their philosophies.

As for system power, Nintendo has repeatedly said they don't see themselves in console
wars with MS or Sony. For the NX to be more powerful than a PS4 and possibly on par with a PS4K while still selling at an affordable price....I just don't see it.

Fair warning Nintendo fans. Dial back your expectations big time. Better to be surprised then let down.

KTO

We don't know that they aren't doing this yet. Perhaps this would be part of their big mobile push?

I honestly hope so, i mean personally i'm not even a nintendo fan, i'm only in this thread because its been on the front page for what seems like forever. If the NX reveal rolls around and they are touting a gamepad v.2 and calling it the future, i hope everyone has the foresight to see it as another failure, maybe not a failure in sales but certainly a failure in vision. the WiiU wasn't unsuccessful because people in mansions couldn't play offscreen in their pool houses. People are just over the idea of having dedicated devices in general. the whole console market is shrinking and it's in large part because devices that do one thing are niche, even if the do that one thing way better than a smartphone or tablet. This is a problem facing all three console makers and it's disappointing to hear that nintendo doesn't seem to even be making an attempt at a solution. If the rumored specs are true, the NX doesn't even seem like an attempt to bring people back to the console market, but rather an attempt to finish this gen somewhere between PS4 and Xbone, which as a fan of gaming at large seems like a shitty thing to aim for. I hope to god these rumors aren't true because they seem to lack any vision of the future.

things get out like specs, etc. At most, a few small things may be legit but other

For example, there's no way on Earth I see a Nintendo launching at a loss. They've always made positive money on their hardware launches. Heck, it's pretty much one of their philosophies.

As for system power, Nintendo has repeatedly said they don't see themselves in console
wars with MS or Sony. For the NX to be more powerful than a PS4 and possibly on par with a PS4K while still selling at an affordable price....I just don't see it.

Fair warning Nintendo fans. Dial back your expectations big time. Better to be surprised then let down.

Nintendo sold Wii U at a loss at launch, and was still selling at a loss 8 months after.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-nintendo-admits-wii-u-to-be-sold-at-loss
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/nintendo-wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss/

Anyway, I do think we're getting incredibly optimistic about the Nintendo NX. However, now that we have new President, things can be different. Nintendo's philosophy in regards to power and innovation can change easily this generation.How could they not learn after two generations?

Roo

Wii U was sold at a loss tho...

Hiltz

I thought it was a misconception that Nintendo generally sells its hardware for profit at launch, and that it just was often able to sell its consoles at an initial, albeit small loss so that it can break even and sell it a profit sooner rather than later compared to what Sony and Microsoft have historically done.

Miyamoto's already commented on what Nintendo cares about in regard to hardware from a June 2015 interview:

Interviewer: One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

Miyamoto: So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it.

Peterc

I honestly hope so, i mean personally i'm not even a nintendo fan, i'm only in this thread because its been on the front page for what seems like forever. If the NX reveal rolls around and they are touting a gamepad v.2 and calling it the future, i hope everyone has the foresight to see it as another failure, maybe not a failure in sales but certainly a failure in vision. the WiiU wasn't unsuccessful because people in mansions couldn't play offscreen in their pool houses. People are just over the idea of having dedicated devices in general. the whole console market is shrinking and it's in large part because devices that do one thing are niche, even if the do that one thing way better than a smartphone or tablet. This is a problem facing all three console makers and it's disappointing to hear that nintendo doesn't seem to even be making an attempt at a solution. If the rumored specs are true, the NX doesn't even seem like an attempt to bring people back to the console market, but rather an attempt to finish this gen somewhere between PS4 and Xbone, which as a fan of gaming at large seems like a shitty thing to aim for. I hope to god these rumors aren't true because they seem to lack any vision of the future.

What do you think Nintendo has to do(the vision you're talking about) ?

rardk64

If Nintendo doesn't talk about the NX until E3 and assuming Nintendo's presentation is after EA and Ubi you'd have to assume that Nintendo would receive no stage time during their (Ubi/EA) events when it comes to them demoing and announcing their own games on stage. Although Nintendo could come out on their own event and say "so and so from Ubi/EA is also coming to NX" after the fact, it'd be better to hear such announcements from the horses mouth, no? Assuming if course that they're actually working on NX.

What if they do like a Sunday before E3 reveal? Kind of like how last year they did the Smash Direct & NWC just before E3.

Peru

If people judge the system's value based on whether or not its controller has a screen or not I think they're in it for the wrong reason. In the end the only thing that matters is if has good games, ones you don't get elsewhere, and enough of them coming at a solid clip

Nintendo is better positioned as a maker of dedicated gaming devices than the other two because the product they offer, the experiences they offer, are ones you don't get anywhere else. You don't get them on PC.

Thraktor

Fair that it could scale up to at least 100GB/s, but does it seem like Nintendo to have a large system with 16 chips needed for that 256 bit bus.

Then again maybe we need to throw such assumptions about Nintendo out the door for this one, but if they could do that and more bandwidth in half the GDDR5 chips, I don't see why not. A large system with a load of LPDDR4 chips gets you only to 100, half the chips with GDDR5 can get you closer to 200.

There's power draw, but I hope Nintendo isn't too conservative there this round.

You've got the number of chips the wrong way round. Nintendo could get anywhere from 8GB to 24GB of LPDDR4 on a 256 bit bus providing 119GB/s with four chips. GDDR5 and GDDR5X aren't available in larger than 1GB capacity yet, so they'd need 8 chips for 8GB, 12 chips for 12GB, etc., although they'd get quite a bit more bandwidth in the process.

It's also important to note AMD's drive to make more efficient use of available bandwidth. With GCN 1.2 they implemented lossless color buffer compression, which they claim reduces bandwidth usage by about 40%. Real world benefits might be a little lower, but the GCN 1.2 Tonga-based cards manage to outperform the older Tahiti cards they replaced with about 35% less bandwidth (even on very high resolutions, which are usually bandwidth-constrained). On that basis 119GB/s is plenty for PS4-equivalent hardware using GCN 1.2. AMD have also listed "memory compression" as another added feature for Polaris, so if Nintendo go that route there could be further bandwidth savings (and there's certainly scope for it, as Nvidia still gets by on quite a lot less bandwidth than comparable AMD cards).

I know I'm a grumbly old 30+ gamer that re-calibrates happy go lucky NeoGAFer expectations regularly, but I do feel it is important to emphasize that starting potentially in about 2 weeks, we are in for the longest run of and possibly most important year of updates on Nintendo's future direction ever.

Zelda Wii U / NX, and the direction it was going before disappearing from the face of the planet, is a big enough deal to dominate game software talk for the next 6-12 months. Never mind everything else Nintendo has going on. The potential for success / failure / constant Nintendo news is immense in the next 12 month period, unlike anything I've seen since I started watching this industry as a 15 year old.

Should be very interesting.

Kimawolf

It's not just Nintendo fans who should want Nintendo to do well, its all fans. Here is the bottom line, unless something drastic changes, this generation less hardware will be sold than last generation as a whole. And i have a feeling we're seeing these "XB1.5" and Sony PS4k because they all have internal reports talking about a decline in sales sooner than they anticipated.

VR and "Enhanced" versions of consoles are all going to be used to ensure momentum continues, at least they hope.

Nintendo meanwhile HAS to kick start another generation simply because their own Wii U had failed. Sp yeah we all hope Nintendo does well, because Nintendo doing well ensures the industry as a whole, not just a few big whales in the ocean, eat well.

What happens if PS4K is way more powerful than NX and both have got revealed at the same time?

To me it'd signal the beginning of a new era in console gaming.

Plinko

What happens if PS4K is way more powerful than NX and both have got revealed at the same time?

Nothing?

I mean, like everything, it will come down to the games/price/is it enough to entice consumers.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Not that I disagree with your overall message, but the underlined part is not true - NDAs between individuals/companies are of civil statute, not of criminal statute. You can go to jail for breaking a state secret, but not for breaking an NDA.

Peterc

Sorry to say, but ps4k would fail. Or it does only vr and works together with pc gamws.

3rd party wouldn't make games for only 1 console.

Also when can we expect ps5? Over 4/5y?

Banned
You've got the number of chips the wrong way round. Nintendo could get anywhere from 8GB to 24GB of LPDDR4 on a 256 bit bus providing 119GB/s with four chips. GDDR5 and GDDR5X aren't available in larger than 1GB capacity yet, so they'd need 8 chips for 8GB, 12 chips for 12GB, etc., although they'd get quite a bit more bandwidth in the process.

It's also important to note AMD's drive to make more efficient use of available bandwidth. With GCN 1.2 they implemented lossless color buffer compression, which they claim reduces bandwidth usage by about 40%. Real world benefits might be a little lower, but the GCN 1.2 Tonga-based cards manage to outperform the older Tahiti cards they replaced with about 35% less bandwidth (even on very high resolutions, which are usually bandwidth-constrained). On that basis 119GB/s is plenty for PS4-equivalent hardware using GCN 1.2. AMD have also listed "memory compression" as another added feature for Polaris, so if Nintendo go that route there could be further bandwidth savings (and there's certainly scope for it, as Nvidia still gets by on quite a lot less bandwidth than comparable AMD cards).
So 4 X 2GB LPDDR4 chips for 8GB of DDR4 on a 256-bit bus at 119 GB/s is possible? Is ddr4 cheaper than gddr5?

bomblord1

Banned

Then one of the rumors is false. As the PS4K can't be both 2x the power of the PS4 and way more powerful than something notably better than the PS4

Also Sony would upset a lot of people.

Not much? PS4 and Xbone will be part of third party plans for years to come, Nintendo are unlikely to be making their pitch purely based around specs, and PS4K is more likely to be an enthusiast's system than the mass-market that Nintendo will be aiming for.

Proelite

So 4 X 2GB LPDDR4 chips for 8GB of DDR4 on a 256-bit bus at 119 GB/s is possible? Is ddr4 cheaper than gddr5?

Ddr4 would be 100 instead of 138 of the LPDDR4.

LPDDR4 and DDR4 are cheaper than GDDR5 and you have less chips and less cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom