• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

I'm loving this game! BTW, something interesting happened yesterday.

So my friend purchase the Season pass for Ryse and when we went on to play Gladiator mode I could simply join his DLC maps. Was this already known? That only one person is required to have the season pass to play the maps together.

Ya, it's been known, or at least I remember MS saying you could play the maps as long as your partner had them unlocked.

Adam Blue

I went back and read some reviews of Ryse. Many inaccuracies. Like the Polygon review says the executions do nothing (like you can just let the controller sit) - when in fact they replenish your specials that you choose. On legendary you have to do them correctly and timely or you won't get a thing.

A lot of misinformation and I admit I went along with it.

I went back and read some reviews of Ryse. Many inaccuracies. Like the Polygon review says the executions do nothing (like you can just let the controller sit) - when in fact they replenish your specials that you choose. On legendary you have to do them correctly and timely or you won't get a thing.

Reviewers don't have the time to dig into launch titles. Don't ever trust console launch reviews. Lococycle and Crimson Dragon are indeed bad, though.

I don't think it was known for the Season Pass DLC, but I'm sure this was known for the Day One DLC map. This is a pretty awesome feature actually.

Ya, I mean, I knew it about the Day One DLC, but I kind of always assumed the same would happen with the season pass maps. Good to see ocnfirmation though, you are right.

Sadly, a lot of people do. Game Informer's review is almost laughable in that sense.

It's a shame that many won't play the game due to these "professional" reviews. MS needs to release a Ryse demo so people can experience it if they are on the fence, even if it is just 1 MP arena.

ElRenoRaven

Sadly, a lot of people do. Game Informer's review is almost laughable in that sense.

It's a shame that many won't play the game due to these "professional" reviews. MS needs to release a Ryse demo so people can experience it if they are on the fence, even if it is just 1 MP arena.

I agree. I took a chance and I'm honestly glad I picked up the game. It's damn fun. Sure it's combat is a bit shallow and repetitive but it is in a fun way. Kind of reminds me of batman in how it's really takes timing your blocks etc and keeping your combo flowing. Also I'm finding the campaign entertaining.

imtehman

Banned
holy crap this game is amazing. Coming from a PC enthusiast, the
wickerman boss figtht
is some of the best lighting i've ever seen. I thought that nothing would come close to some of the best looking PC games i've played e.g. metro:last light but if this is what we can expet from next gen consoles, wow.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I just beat the Edge of the World level - I believe that's the
Wickerman
level and I have a question on the cutscene after that level:

When the emperor's son kills King Oswald with the emperor's seal - and Marius is looking at the seal, and then exclaims that it wasn't the barbarians that killed his father (or family) but Rome.

Now, my question is - how did he get to that conclusion based on the events that just happened?

With that said, I must say that I really like the combat even still (I'm over half-way through the game at this point, I think), and I also really like the somewhat unique take on Roman mythology -
where the gods are there but not outwardly there - they are mysterious - and how the Minotaurs turned turned out to be just humans wearing masks.

Also, the acting and story are really great too, so far. Much surprised on that one!

Tsukumo

So I just beat the Edge of the World level - I believe that's the
Wickerman
level and I have a question on the cutscene after that level:

When the emperor's son kills King Oswald with the emperor's seal - and Marius is looking at the seal, and then exclaims that it wasn't the barbarians that killed his father (or family) but Rome.

Now, my question is - how did he get to that conclusion based on the events that just happened?

With that said, I must say that I really like the combat even still (I'm over half-way through the game at this point, I think), and I also really like the somewhat unique take on Roman mythology -
where the gods are there but not outwardly there - they are mysterious - and how the Minotaurs turned turned out to be just humans wearing masks.

Also, the acting and story are really great too, so far. Much surprised on that one!

It will be explained/shown in the ending of the game.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It will be explained/shown in the ending of the game.

Okay. Good. I'm on the last level (at the beginning of it now) and all they say is that
Nero ordered the attack on Marius' family and that Nero thought that Leonitus was causing the people of Rome to notice Nero and his sons' incompetent, crazy leadership. That doesn't explain how Nero got the barbarians to slay Marius' family or really why Marius suspected Nero of orchestrating such an attack since the barbarians were involved.

With that said, really enjoying the story and even the gameplay. It hasn't really gotten stale at all.

Tsukumo

Okay. Good. I'm on the last level (at the beginning of it now) and all they say is that
Nero ordered the attack on Marius' family and that Nero thought that Leonitus was causing the people of Rome to notice Nero and his sons' incompetent, crazy leadership. That doesn't explain how Nero got the barbarians to slay Marius' family or really why Marius suspected Nero of orchestrating such an attack since the barbarians were involved.

With that said, really enjoying the story and even the gameplay. It hasn't really gotten stale at all.

Nero ordered the attack and Zeus, Mars, Apollo, whoever is the guy always at the emperor's side, put the whole thing in motion. The god (whoever he was) made it so that either Leonitus or Marius would end up knowing Nero was behind it by giving one of the barbarians a dagger with the Nero family insignia. He probably "hypnotized" the barbarians with the same powers he used on Boudica to stop her from killing the Romans at the moment they slayed her father.
The reason why the god did that was that he wanted Rome destroyed: its military/senate against their own city's leaders, an emperor and his entire bloodline dead, and the city sacked and ruined by barbarians.

mdubs

Banned
Played through the game on Normal and then again on Legendary, I loved it the entire way. More people need to give this game a fair shot

KOCMOHABT

Would somebody be kind enough to take a recording of a fight with lots of QTEs and speed them up to normal speed?

I am just curious how crazy Marius' moves are when shown in realtime.

PG2G

Beat the game last night. Definitely enjoyed it, worth the money spent for sure. I hope the game sells well and we get sequels or similar games in other time periods

Does anyone have a good way of taking out the archers quickly when you're storming the beach on Legendary. At the fort bit i can't kill them quickly enough before the men lose moral.

Aimed fire seemingly takes too long and quick throws are too inaccurate.

Got the game at Christmas, just finished it on Sunday. Really fun game and looked amazing. I'm hoping for a sequel and I can kinda see how they could do that. I've only done Solo multiplayer so far, but my goodness it's tough.

I'll probably replay it on Legendary, but I have a few other games I want to go through first.

So now that Ryse is officially selling pretty well... LET'S TALK SEQUEL!!!

What is your preferred setting? I like the King Arthur rumor stuff, personally. Gimme dragons too!!!

m23

What is your preferred setting? I like the King Arthur rumor stuff, personally. Gimme dragons too!!!

I would like another game in the Roman era, I just really love that time period. Something in the medieval times would be good too. Not sure about dragons and stuff though.

Redshirt

Banned
I wouldn't mind if the sequel is Rome-centric. I also wouldn't mind if it explores a prequel story about Boudica.

I think a King Arthur setting would probably be the ideal choice, and there's an obvious tie-in there. The atmosphere of the King Arthur movie with Clive Owen seems like a natural fit.

Phreaker

holy crap this game is amazing. Coming from a PC enthusiast, the
wickerman boss figtht
is some of the best lighting i've ever seen. I thought that nothing would come close to some of the best looking PC games i've played e.g. metro:last light but if this is what we can expet from next gen consoles, wow.

Right? I just started playing it this weekend and I was in awe the whole time with the graphics. Amazing looking game.

Didn't know where else to put this but if anyone wants them here are so codes for a weapon and shield.

Blade of Favour (sword):

XM29F-YY2K6-WGGFG-X7RPV-CPHGZ

Gorgon’s Fury (shield):

FYXCM-P2WQW-Q3VMC-3H7YC-X3HHZ

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Didn't know where else to put this but if anyone wants them here are so codes for a weapon and shield.

Blade of Favour (sword):

XM29F-YY2K6-WGGFG-X7RPV-CPHGZ

Gorgon’s Fury (shield):

FYXCM-P2WQW-Q3VMC-3H7YC-X3HHZ

Both already used. :(

Owned the game since launch, but started playing today. Reviewscores kinda ruined the game before I even tried...silly me. This game is nowhere as bad as the reviews said. Graphics are stunning. Fighting can become repetitive for sure, but this game is worth playing, It's no goty material but nevertheless, I'm enjoying it a lot.

derFeef

Friend of mine just told me she could not do execution moves outside the tutorial. The online help apparently has the wrong button (bumper instead of trigger) as the execution move?

Anyway, thinking of either wait for her to finish the game and borrowing it, or finally buying it myself, argh! She enjoys it and does not understand the reviews, good news!

Southside Jim

Neo Member

Well, my dream setting/storyline would be post-Romanic Britain, when King Alfred and the Saxons were fighting against the invading Danes and trying to piece together what would become England.

Basically, give me Bernard Cornwell's fantastically bad-ass Saxon Chronicles book series with the Ryse treatment! (If you haven't read this series and remotely like historical fiction, go forth and do so immediately.)

Also, Ryse on Legendary is so great; challenging, tactical and white-knuckle all the way through.

What about that DLC Crytek? Get some more of these packs out man. Maybe even with achievements this time.

Seen a couple of mentions on twitter from MS staff that the next DLC will add some achievements, first pack was out last months, i'd expect news soon.

Redshirt

Banned
I finally got the Day One bundle. I got it through a friends message from Xbox Live, and it looks as if this was not specific to me, so if you purchased Ryse digitally in the first two weeks of launch, look for it.

Even though this is very late, it's good of Microsoft to finally fix this.

Sioen

After hating the xbox one for a time, I've actually went out and ordered one with ryse. Looking forward to playing it soon.
Oh and is there like a thread for Xbox live accounts to add friends, can't find it and really need some friends on xbl. :)

Sioen

I actually really like this game. The combat feels very brutal and the graphics are truly a sight to behold. The story aswell seems ok-ish at the moment but my standards for that are not that high. (Yes I liked final fantasy xiii and xiii-2 story)

Finally picked it up, Damn it's pretty fun to play and intense when your surrounded. Played through the highest available difficulty.

-SD-

Banned
Does it really look THIS good in-game?

ryse_oswald_level_828vvjfb.jpg

ryse_oswald_level_8571eket.jpg

ryse_oswald_level_226v3ksp.jpg

ryse_oswald_level_56689kq2.jpg

ryse_oswald_level_8982wkvi.jpg

Source: http://cghub.com/images/view/743089/

shandy706

Beat the game last night and loved it. I have so many games to play and Ryse is very "different" from the rest of them. I say this as 100% a positive. Love the setting, enjoyed the combat, and Graphically it makes my PC side just stare and drool at times.

I hope it's alright if I post a wall of gifs...:) Possibly SPOILERS...just some combat and tiny moments from late in the game.

SCROLL BY IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT SEEING SOMETHING

3w3tbwdn7y8x8e56g.jpg

81ulys8fa8mbdse6g.jpg

h7latmfibhlb2666g.jpg

Top Bottom