• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

malfcn

It's sad that the companion app for smart glass only supports tablets. Sometimes my phone will sneak launch it, but it's unusable.

"You've seen all the executions after a couple hours."
What is absolutely nonsense, because you unlock new executions (including some bonus attributes like strenght or a bigger focus bar) with your Singleplayer XP and you cant even nearly unlock all of them in one playtrough

Anybody knows that the 3GB update today was good for?

It's sad that the companion app for smart glass only supports tablets. Sometimes my phone will sneak launch it, but it's unusable.
Yep this is a big disappointment. I have the app on my win8 laptop, but having a phone at the ready is so much easier/sensical.

I did noticed the new challenges last night though, glad to see more!

Jsheldon

Did any one else grab the season pass for dlc?

6 new skins I believe we're supposed to be included and I'm still stuck with the basic skin and the Praetorian one I just paid extra for.

Anyone have extra skins?

Stantron

I have the season pass. I did a quick check this morning and saw two new skins. The
last(?) boss guy's
golden outfit, and another one with a black and purple outfit. Both of them have a sideways mohawk helmet.

I Just beat this the other day and i have to say i am glad i got it. I had tons of fun , enjoyed the graphics
They are beautiful!
and i also enjoyed the story (keep in mind i went in thinking that the story wasn't going to be that great)

All in all i think this game was worth my purchase and i am glad i gave it a chance!

StUnNeR H2K

Just looked at my stats for this game on smartglass... 41 hrs played, 6628 total kills & 37.4 million valor. I'm not really tired of it yet either, could mindlessly play the multiplayer all night.

Sobriquet

After the patch, every time I get a collectible, it no longer tells me how many I have in total. No more "15 out of 30" or whatever.

sangreal

After the patch, every time I get a collectible, it no longer tells me how many I have in total. No more "15 out of 30" or whatever.

That's dumb, but they added a whole collectibles menu to track it now. You can also now actually view the collectibles on the console

On another note, what's with the rewardless challenges? At least give us some gold

Redshirt

Banned
Did any one else grab the season pass for dlc?

6 new skins I believe we're supposed to be included and I'm still stuck with the basic skin and the Praetorian one I just paid extra for.

Anyone have extra skins?

I have two extra as well. Push over to the right to see them.

EDIT: It looks like there's at least two new MP too.

Bsigg12

Is anyone else having an issue with not being to collect all the chronicles? I'm missing the very first one apparently but I know I had already gotten it but there's nothing I can think to do to allow me to get it.

DirtyLarry

Okay, I have to admit, just played the game for about 70 minutes just now, and it is pretty damn entertaining, and it does no doubt look great.

Pretty much my one and only complaint is the camera in certain areas. Unless I am missing something, it is impossible to counter an attacking enemy if they are out of the camera's lense. I have had some pretty high combos only to have them broken by an enemy I could not see at all. Am I missing something that indicates an enemy off screen is about to attack?

Otherwise, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I also went in with no real expectations at all, so that has probably helped things tremendously.

But yeah, I actually really like the game right now.

StUnNeR H2K

Great update. Not sure how this slips out with nobody mentioning all the details. Also 3 GB is no small update. Excited for what's on the horizon...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Okay, I have to admit, just played the game for about 70 minutes just now, and it is pretty damn entertaining, and it does no doubt look great.

Pretty much my one and only complaint is the camera in certain areas. Unless I am missing something, it is impossible to counter an attacking enemy if they are out of the camera's lense. I have had some pretty high combos only to have them broken by an enemy I could not see at all. Am I missing something that indicates an enemy off screen is about to attack?

Otherwise, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I also went in with no real expectations at all, so that has probably helped things tremendously.

But yeah, I actually really the game right now.

Do you mean the red aura attacks that are harder to block? Enemies yell out and scream before charging into those. Otherwise you just have to watch out for that, but the camera has been good for me to avoid being blindsided.

Stantron

Major change to how the Jupiter focus power works after this update. It used to be that you could rack up to 9 additional hits on an enemy before killing him regardless of how much health he had when you started the focus attacks. This allowed you to build your combo number before executing. Not anymore. Enemies will die now if their health depletes. No more crazy high combos. :p

ElRenoRaven

But yeah, I actually really the game right now.

Same here. Played the first chapter before going to work this morning and I'm actually really enjoying it. I went in expecting to hate it but I'm glad I got it so far. Combat while simple is surprisingly fun.

Krilekk

Banned
The multiplayer seems pretty good if you just want to enjoy the combat without all the muss and fuss of the story and minigames. My main problem is that it just feels a little busted in terms of progression, and that progression will be slow unless you have a good deal of mastery. I also don't understand why they didn't include the gear system from multiplayer as a part of the singleplayer game (or at least as a part of a NewGame+ mode). I would be a lot more motivated to replay the game if I could do it with my own custom equipment.

Apparantly some of the cutscenes are prerendered, I guess they didn't bring customization into singleplayer so you don't see the difference.

KOCMOHABT

3d Modeler/Artist Finn Meinert Matthiesen - "MadMaximus83" - has uploaded some Ryse shots from locations he worked on.

http://cghub.com/images/view/756844/
and
http://cghub.com/images/view/756854/

495_max.jpg

991_max.jpg

... and many more!

KKRT00

Those shots + even more on an art dump at polycount: Ryse Art Dump

People in that thread about resolution or effects, should really have a good look at these and see what resolution (IQ) does to an environment/game.

Damn, thats awesome thanks for that!

-------

1920x-1

SjlL3wA.jpg

=======

Some are excellent, like those. Trees and grass look so naturally:

JegcoJW.jpg

LOCOemq.jpg

EIYD6Xe.jpg

Now i really want PC port ;\

Grisby

Beat this a few days ago. I had an alright time although I was ready for it to end an hour or so before it did.

The combat felt heavy and weighty which was nice but there wasn't enough there. Graphically, the game looks ridiculous and some scenes blew my freaking mind. The setting is so refreshing and visiting Rome and the surrounding areas were a blast.

I enjoyed the story as well and it didn't hurt that the cutscenes also had the same awesome graphics. You notice a lot of little things too, like the fur on the Chieftain's coat or the flower wreath that adorned that womans hair.

So yeah, better than I thought it would be. Super short, but a fantastic rental and I hope for a sequel with more combat and level design depth.

Damn, those graphics.

sangreal

MS sent me an ad for the daily deals that included something about a free shield for ryse but I have no idea how to redeem it. clicking it just brings me to the redeem code page. anyone else?

Kajiba

MS sent me an ad for the daily deals that included something about a free shield for ryse but I have no idea how to redeem it. clicking it just brings me to the redeem code page. anyone else?

I got the email too. I manually just put the code in and it unlock something called Dawning Victory.

sangreal

I got the email too. I manually just put the code in and it unlock something called Dawning Victory.

ah thanks, gmail cut the message off so I didnt see the code

I also got the dawning victory. wonder what the difference is to the Gemma Augustea

Grisby

I was entertained by the way, in response to the thread title.

Also, I want to suggest everyone check out the show Rome. I'm on the second season and it's fantastic. Really good mix playing this game and watching that series.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there a reason that solo arenas only have 3 maps? I haven't tried co-op yet but I noticed there are a lot more maps in there.

I assume the new DLC maps require 2 people as well?

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah, the new maps require two players. Henge probably isn't even doable solo because co-op is required to open up a series of gates.

I'm not sure why they don't have more of the maps available for solo play.

Redshirt

Banned

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which is a tablet, and the Ryse app refuses to run on it because it's "not."

sangreal

Is there a reason that solo arenas only have 3 maps? I haven't tried co-op yet but I noticed there are a lot more maps in there.

I assume the new DLC maps require 2 people as well?

There are 4 if you have Day One, but to answer the question I think it's because the other maps can spawn co-op objectives, like having to stand on a switch while the other player goes through a gaate, or two scorpios, the wickerman etc

Unity2012

I was entertained by the way, in response to the thread title.

Also, I want to suggest everyone check out the show Rome. I'm on the second season and it's fantastic. Really good mix playing this game and watching that series.

Thanks man; I've been wanting to watch that show for a while. I'm going to get the BD set this week.

The game's new maps look interesting. I also want to see the new enemy turrets and reward statues added to the gladiator mode events.

sangreal

I saw the turrets and statues both in my first solo arena after the patch on Oasis

the turrets seemed functionally equivalent to the catapult events. didn't realize at the time that the statues were knew, thought it was just something I missed before but you get a big green highlight prompt when you go up to them. I guess I got focus out of it because it was a jupiter statue, but I'm never low on focus or health so who knows

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There are 4 if you have Day One, but to answer the question I think it's because the other maps can spawn co-op objectives, like having to stand on a switch while the other player goes through a gaate, or two scorpios etc

I bought it digitally but on launch day so I apparently supposed to get the day one stuff, not sure why I didn't. That makes sense though, thanks. I'll see if I can get my gf to join me in slaughtering some barbarians.

sangreal

I bought it digitally but on launch day so I apparently supposed to get the day one stuff, not sure why I didn't. That makes sense though, thanks. I'll see if I can get my gf to join me in slaughtering some barbarians.

Yeah, they backed out of the whole "digital copies within 2 weeks get it" thing; I had to get it from Support. There is a lot of discussion about it on the last page (100ppp)

Which reminds me...

Well, I've been pushed along to the next level of support, and they'll apparently email me at some point. I guess I'll have to wait a week like sangreal did. I hope I don't have the problem Banjo-Kazooie did.

I also emailed Crytek. Not sure that will help, but it can't hurt.

The experience with tier one MS support was kind of painful for me. They asked me where I purchased the Xbox One and then suggested I contact Amazon because it was their problem. *sigh*

did you ever hear back?

Stantron

question for the season pass/dlc owners... does the booster pack gear show up on the skins at all?

No, you get all the attributes of your gear, but the skins look the same regardless.
edit: Scratch that. Your sword and shield actually uniquely show on your selected skin... but armor does not.

Grisby

Thanks man; I've been wanting to watch that show for a while. I'm going to get the BD set this week.
I had the first season dvd's sitting under my tv for the better part of a year. Finally sat down to it when I was playing Ryse. Man, do I wish I had started it sooner. I thought it was going to be something low budget but I've been impressed by the detail and all of the major characters feel like they've been perfectly cast.

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah, they backed out of the whole "digital copies within 2 weeks get it" thing; I had to get it from Support. There is a lot of discussion about it on the last page (100ppp)

Which reminds me...

did you ever hear back?

No. Support never sent me an email. I did get a reference number, so I'll try to ask for an update today.

No. Support never sent me an email. I did get a reference number, so I'll try to ask for an update today.

After at least 6 hours on the phone through multiple calls I'm not getting help me either. I have been back and forth with support since November. At this point I'm about to ask for digital refunds for both Forza and Ryse since MS is not honoring their promise. It's been a nightmare dealing with MS support for this case.

Netprints

In an email from Xbox, I got a free shield to use in MP. I don't know the stats on it but just posting it as a heads up. It was in the email for daily deals. I think you get one or the other.

3AvPWG5Gu1MGBhdDYmaSeYgSKZE6PpvNp1pWx0nkogkHPNJeMyJFAmMH76-KmGDkkqfQBPVpmFhhBStGwZESSiiPVscn8ao8dhbWOjX6gbdqdxt81R00qLtTZwyk3vkEWw=s0-d-e1-ft

Top Bottom