• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Is the rumor true that the game goes in a supernatural direction at some point? Has anything been shown that supports this? Spoiler tag the answer if necessary.

Rodelero

Looking at this thread I feel I must have missed something: such positivity. I played a demo of this game last night - on the Gladiator mode - and really didn't like it. I love Batman and God of War - surely the games it is aping - but between the awkward camera, clunky controls and repetitive QTEs, it just made me pine for those other games. There are obviously a lot of differents action games which deal with combat in a lot of different ways - it just feels like this one is a shoddy copy of those that came before.

Is there something extremely redeeming about the SP that I've missed? I mean,'other than the fact the game is about Goddam Romans - nowhere near enough of them.

Jezehbell

ibtHoK94MlqbCI.gif

Damn, I laughed so hard.

Why wouldn't it?

It has an awesome setting, I don't see why it shouldn't have a pretty great story. Especially considering what it has to top.

Because Crytek makes games with shit stories and writing? Seriously, it's like people are expecting a good story just because the character models and animation look great....

When the review embargo lifts this thread should be a lot of fun.

If the previews are any indication.. its going to be a blast lol

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/r...-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

"Im hoping that later levels introduce some more difficult enemies, as the dozens of encounters I had consisted of all the complexity of dialing phone numbers. Almost every fight started with me hitting the attack button a couple of times, then pushing the enemy in an effort to stop him from breaking my combo. Then, Id continue attacking until he was weak enough for the execution sequence. Once this occurs, the game slows down and the enemy flashes various colors. You press the face button of the appropriate color, and your protagonist Marius dismembers or murders the foe in dramatic fashion.

Its so basic and predictable, I began testing to see if I could get past most combat situations with one hand. With my left hand completely off the controller, I was able to slice and dice through tons of enemies simply by inputting the same sequence ad nauseum."

Game looks so fucking awesome. Personally loving the combat as well. Some don't, but it looks like it plays out far better than I could have expected of a Roman combat game from Crytek, considering they don't have much experience making these kinds of games. I can tell I'm going to have a ton of fun playing the singleplayer. The rest after that depends on how much I enjoy the story and the enemy variation in combat.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
For those interested:

They are playing the FIRST TWO LEVELS on the Gamespot Live stream:

http://l.gamespot.com/I02g68

The cardinal sin of livestreaming a new game "Add 3 people with no wit, humour or tact to talk over every cutscene providing no useful information" The game is literally being drowned out by 3 people who love the sound of their own voices.

Unity2012

Some great gameplay moments on that Live stream; and the game is Stunning! is it Friday yet?

EDIT: Agree with Mr Cola; they've also had a weird cynical attitude for all the games; I dont get it.

Gamespot dude is getting better. His combos were getting more advanced, and his timing is improving.

This game looks so awesome. You actually get to run through that whole rome environment they showed in the flythrough!!!

Just saw one of the mythical elements. I like! :D

magic

i knew it

crytek can't resist nonsense

At least it wasn't the player using magic. A female, which was clearly a spirit or god of some sort, showed up and compelled him to go in a different direction, which ended up saving his life. Had he gone the other way, he would've run into a pretty large group of enemies that would've killed him.

I know in one of the streams they said all of the cutscenes are real time. But are we sure yet?

Sometimes I have my doubts as well as sometimes doubting my doubts

I know in one of the streams they said all of the cutscenes are real time. But are we sure yet?

Sometimes I have my doubts as well as sometimes doubting my doubts

They've been confirmed as all in-engine, not pre-rendered. Crytek have a way to pre-calculate complex things relating to physics and other simulations, and then play them back in real-time. So, we're looking at real-time stuff, just with some very clever tricks to make the real-time stuff look even more incredible.

The cardinal sin of livestreaming a new game "Add 3 people with no wit, humour or tact to talk over every cutscene providing no useful information" The game is literally being drowned out by 3 people who love the sound of their own voices.

I hate that, too. The combat training session with his father was a really nice touch that I wasn't expecting from this game, showing the player different aspects of the game's combat, but mixing it into the larger story.

jem0208

Because Crytek makes games with shit stories and writing? Seriously, it's like people are expecting a good story just because the character models and animation look great....

No, I think the story looks like it might be good because the setting is fantastic and from what I've heard it sounds pretty good.

No, I think the story looks like it might be good because the setting is fantastic and from what I've heard it sounds pretty good.

They clearly seem to have put more work in the story than they ever have with their previous titles, and it shows. Even should it be a story that doesn't end up living up to promise, based on what has already been shown, I already feel pretty confident I'm going to enjoy this more than the story in previous Crytek titles, and the setting and characters shown so far rightfully play a big role in that.

jem0208

They clearly seem to have put more work in the story than they ever have with their previous titles, and it shows. Even should it be a story that doesn't end up living up to promise, based on what has already been shown, I already feel pretty confident I'm going to enjoy this more than the story in previous Crytek titles, and the setting and characters shown so far rightfully play a big role in that.

I actually quite enjoyed the story in Crysis and Crysis 2 so I'm pretty confident about Ryse having a good story.

KKRT00

Animation does bug out a lot. Performance capture for gameplay hurts them a lot.

Wounds look outstanding, they look even better than in latest videos.

zorbsie

Watching that gamespot stream kind of sold me on this. Game look like loads of fun and graphically outstanding stuff.

Demon Ice

Banned

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/r...-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

"Im hoping that later levels introduce some more difficult enemies, as the dozens of encounters I had consisted of all the complexity of dialing phone numbers. Almost every fight started with me hitting the attack button a couple of times, then pushing the enemy in an effort to stop him from breaking my combo. Then, Id continue attacking until he was weak enough for the execution sequence. Once this occurs, the game slows down and the enemy flashes various colors. You press the face button of the appropriate color, and your protagonist Marius dismembers or murders the foe in dramatic fashion.

Its so basic and predictable, I began testing to see if I could get past most combat situations with one hand. With my left hand completely off the controller, I was able to slice and dice through tons of enemies simply by inputting the same sequence ad nauseum."

Polygon Review: "Crytek has truly gone the extra mile and managed to craft a combat system that is richly and viscerally exciting, yet simultaneously so accessible and intuitive that even gamers with unilateral hand amputations will be able to enjoy it. Truly, truly a game for the ages, and only possible on the Microsoft XBox One multimedia entertainment system. 10/10, Citizen Kane of Gaming"

They've been confirmed as all in-engine, not pre-rendered. Crytek have a way to pre-calculate complex things relating to physics and other simulations, and then play them back in real-time. So, we're looking at real-time stuff, just with some very clever tricks to make the real-time stuff look even more incredible.

Lmfao. You do realize that there's a difference between "in-engine" and "real-time" right? If there's pre-calculated stuff happening, it's not being rendered in real-time. It's in-engine.

"Play them back in real time" is a hilarious phrase. Yes, when you record something and play it back, it's being played back in real time. I can record video with my iPhone and play it back to me in real time. Amazing.

Eoin

I hope anyone who reviews this game and complains it's too easy, at least bumps it up to hard first. Otherwise it would be like playing a Halo game on normal and bitching about a lack of challange. No shit Sherlock, Normal is for 5 year olds and Jeff Gerstman ( I love Jeff, but watching him play Halo is painful).

Top Bottom