• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

oVerde

Banned

iMeoLAiyGmwaf.gif

Gestault

Lmfao. You do realize that there's a difference between "in-engine" and "real-time" right? If there's pre-calculated stuff happening, it's not being rendered in real-time. It's in-engine.

"Play them back in real time" is a hilarious phrase. Yes, when you record something and play it back, it's being played back in real time. I can record video with my iPhone and play it back to me in real time. Amazing.

It sounds like you may be slightly confused yourself on this. In-engine can just as easily mean real-time. There are games which use video files of game assets, but they aren't being rendered in real-time. In-engine is a less specific description, as it can be real-time or not. From my understanding, "in-engine" used to refer to real-time, but many studios began mixing both methods, and you end up with situations like the Uncharted games where many of the story scenes are described as "in-engine" even when they're pre-rendered videos being played off the game media. If something is specifically being described as "real-time" (in-engine or otherwise), that means every element is being computed and displayed frame-by-frame on-the-fly, which means camera angles or (for example) costumes could be changed by player input.

Based on the data size of Ryse, I'd imagine they used a similar solution of mixing both real-time and pre-rendered scenes of game assets to mask load times.

Demon Ice

Banned
It sounds like you may be slightly confused yourself on this. In-engine can just as easily mean real-time. There are games which use video files of game assets, but they aren't being rendered in real-time. In-engine is a less specific description, as it can be real-time or not. From my understanding, "in-engine" used to refer to real-time, but many studios began mixing both methods, and you end up with situations like the Uncharted games where many of the story scenes are described as "in-engine" even when they're pre-rendered videos being played off the game media. If something is specifically being described as "real-time" (in-engine or otherwise), that means every element is being computed and displayed frame-by-frame on-the-fly, which means camera angles or (for example) costumes could be changed by player input.

Based on the data size of Ryse, I'd imagine they used a similar solution of mixing both real-time and pre-rendered scenes of game assets to mask load times.

Yes, exactly. That was the point I was trying to make, sorry. The cutscenes are in-engine, but they are NOT being rendered in real-time, as Senjutsu himself has stated that there are elements that are precalculated.

The Uncharted cutscenes are what I expect Ryse cutscenes to be. Technically in-engine, but still pre-calculated and pre-rendered.

Polygon Review: "Crytek has truly gone the extra mile and managed to craft a combat system that is richly and viscerally exciting, yet simultaneously so accessible and intuitive that even gamers with unilateral hand amputations will be able to enjoy it. Truly, truly a game for the ages, and only possible on the Microsoft XBox One multimedia entertainment system. 10/10, Citizen Kane of Gaming"

Lmfao. You do realize that there's a difference between "in-engine" and "real-time" right? If there's pre-calculated stuff happening, it's not being rendered in real-time. It's in-engine.

"Play them back in real time" is a hilarious phrase. Yes, when you record something and play it back, it's being played back in real time. I can record video with my iPhone and play it back to me in real time. Amazing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

Cevat Yerli: We have many new features in Ryse. On the rendering side the main focus was on moving to more physically-based paradigms but we have a lot of improvements for animation and physics as well. For example, all the cloth and armour parts are moving dynamically but we can also pre-bake complex simulations now and replay them in real-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8rF257WwE#t=2m17s

He explains their support for alembic, which allows them to import Hollywood style alembic files from VFX companies, and a game development artist on beyond3d suggested that's how they pulled off the water in the opening cutscene of Ryse.

Moronie

Banned

New Ryse impressions:

"One of the glaring issues with the early demos of the game was the scripted combat, which has been addressed with the removal of the QTE floating button and replaced with a small skull to indicate that you can trigger an execution. The executions are quite striking, with detail down to the expression on the poor souls face, after you have just plunged your sword into his neck. It is worth bearing in mind that these execution sequences are optional; the player is more than welcome to not press the dedicated execution button (RT) following the prompt, but I found myself wanting to do this to most of the enemies as it was so satisfying. There is nothing better than queuing up more than one enemy for a double execution, it’s the goriest kill you will see on Xbox launch day."

"The lack of depth in combat has also been replaced with a challenging but rewarding system, not dissimilar to those featured in the God of War series or the Batman Arkham trilogy. The familiar press ‘X to swing sword’ was present along with ‘Y for a secondary attack’; in this case a bash with the shield. However, it was the fluidity of the defence system that really won me over. Pressing ‘A’ in the direction of an incoming attack would block that combatant and if timed correctly, leave the enemy open for a counter. The ability to chain together sword and shield attacks whilst blocking blows from a group of enemies really helped me feel like a skilled gladiator. Other noteworthy additions to the combat system include, the ability to slow down play for a short period of time, allowing you to escape some tricky situations. As well as select certain attributes, such as gaining a small amount of health after each execution."

http://www.16bitkings.com/xbox-one-h...son-of-rome-2/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just watched some of the gamespot steam today and I have to hand it to Crytek, those environments look fucking stellar.

The non-fodder characters look good too, but as a personal matter of taste I think photorealistic humans are boring as fuck no matter how real they look. Moreso for Marius than Nero. The further they deviate from generic man the better.

I guess I can't really tell from a stream, but I think 900p is a complete non-issue in this case.

shandy706

Yes, exactly. That was the point I was trying to make, sorry. The cutscenes are in-engine, but they are NOT being rendered in real-time, as Senjutsu himself has stated that there are elements that are precalculated.

The Uncharted cutscenes are what I expect Ryse cutscenes to be. Technically in-engine, but still pre-calculated and pre-rendered.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about do you...lol.

mm04

After all the launch titles I really wanted got moved back, this is the ONE game that I wanted to play that was left. It looks pretty damn cool, but I can't justify any console purchase (I cancelled my PS4 pre-order, didn't pre-order XBone) at this time. I really hope it turns out well. I'd like to play it someday.

New Ryse impressions:

"One of the glaring issues with the early demos of the game was the scripted combat, which has been addressed with the removal of the QTE floating button and replaced with a small skull to indicate that you can trigger an execution. The executions are quite striking, with detail down to the expression on the poor souls face, after you have just plunged your sword into his neck. It is worth bearing in mind that these execution sequences are optional; the player is more than welcome to not press the dedicated execution button (RT) following the prompt, but I found myself wanting to do this to most of the enemies as it was so satisfying. There is nothing better than queuing up more than one enemy for a double execution, it’s the goriest kill you will see on Xbox launch day."

"The lack of depth in combat has also been replaced with a challenging but rewarding system, not dissimilar to those featured in the God of War series or the Batman Arkham trilogy. The familiar press ‘X to swing sword’ was present along with ‘Y for a secondary attack’; in this case a bash with the shield. However, it was the fluidity of the defence system that really won me over. Pressing ‘A’ in the direction of an incoming attack would block that combatant and if timed correctly, leave the enemy open for a counter. The ability to chain together sword and shield attacks whilst blocking blows from a group of enemies really helped me feel like a skilled gladiator. Other noteworthy additions to the combat system include, the ability to slow down play for a short period of time, allowing you to escape some tricky situations. As well as select certain attributes, such as gaining a small amount of health after each execution."

http://www.16bitkings.com/xbox-one-h...son-of-rome-2/

Sooooo were those scathing GameInformer impressions based off of an older build? Or are we just looking at two opposite opinions of the same gameplay? Because this seems to go completely against it what that dude said...

If so, then you and the people who made this game are in strong disagreement. Crytek explicitly say that the cutscenes aren't pre-rendered. They may have some impressive tricks or two up their sleeves to pull off effects that normally wouldn't be possible if calculated in real-time, but they manage to get some of those calculations or effects into their game in real-time. The few pre-calculated elements of real-time rendered scenes don't automatically qualify the whole scene as pre-rendered.

I think you even see that same water used during the opening cutscene of Ryse during actual gameplay at 11:21 http://www.twitch.tv/microsoftstudios/b/477303820 running around some dead bodies in the water. The difference in this instance, though, I think, is that it isn't fully interactive, at least not there it isn't.

r13_by_mpackart-d6uqija.gif

Dat transition

olGaLwV.gif

Gestault

Precalculated means something other than what you're suggesting here. With what we've heard with almost all of this material, it's rendered and animated on the fly. Some actions (like collapsing stonework) are using predetermined "events" for their motion (the same way motion capture for characters would work), but it's still real-time execution. Unless you'd make the point that any character animation in any game's story scene can't be considered real-time. Also, this:

jem0208

Precalculated means something other than what you're suggesting here. With what we've heard with almost all of this material, it's rendered and animated on the fly. Some actions (like collapsing stonework) are using predetermined "events" for their motion (the same way motion capture for characters would work), but it's still real-time execution. Unless you'd make the point that any character animation in any game's story scene can't be considered real-time. Also, this:

Hnnnng.

Do want.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This game have a different review embargo date than the other One games? If so... can't be good.

They spread out their 3 big games over the week. Dead Rising was today, console is tomorrow, Forza is Wed and Ryse is Thurs. They didn't want all the reviews to come out today and then nothing for the rest of the week leading up to launch.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sooooo were those scathing GameInformer impressions based off of an older build? Or are we just looking at two opposite opinions of the same gameplay? Because this seems to go completely against it what that dude said...

I doubt anything changed radically since the GI impressions. I think we're going to see a wide range of opinions on this game and the crucial point of divergence will be between reviewers who felt empowered by the combat system's simplicity and those who felt it was shallow, repetitive, and boring.

As a melee combat genre lover, I'm going to listen to those who assess its depth and ignore those who felt empowered merely by being able to successfully mix blocking and attacking.

That doesn't necessarily indicate that all the cutscenes are real time, which I somewhat doubt that they are. Not that it really matters though, I have no real criticisms for the visuals of the game as a launch title. It looks absolutely stellar and it would be day 1 if I had an Xbone.

shandy706

I'm most likely not going to buy Ryse until later on, but I very much feel like it's similar to Batman. Maybe not as well rounded combat wise, but that's up in the air for 99% of us right now.

I can win nearly any normal battle in Batman (any of them) with only two buttons. Only one button if the enemies are just your regular thugs. Heck, I can win nearly any fight with just attack and a spin of the cape. Obviously I can string things together and make it more complicated/smoother if I want, but button mashing works outside of harder settings.

The ground knockouts (finishers) are the same thing every time too. Counter button + crouch. You can't fail it, and it carries out the action on its own...just like in Ryse. Granted, I think Ryse has the upper hand in varied "finishers" with over 100...correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. (I own and have played all 3 batman games).

Doffen

Updated the OT with those two new videos from XboxUK.

This game have a different review embargo date than the other One games? If so... can't be good.

Yeah, but it's strange that they didn't decide to hide it amongst the other reviews if they knew it was bad. Maybe both Microsoft and Crytek got faith in the title.

Forza 5 also got it's own date.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm most likely not going to buy Ryse until later on, but I very much feel like it's similar to Batman. Maybe not as well rounded combat wise, but that's up in the air for 99% of us right now.

I can win nearly any normal battle in Batman (any of them) with only two buttons. Only one button if the enemies are just your regular thugs. Heck, I can win nearly any fight with just attack and a spin of the cape. Obviously I can string things together and make it more complicated/smoother if I want, but button mashing works outside of harder settings.

The ground knockouts (finishers) are the same thing every time too. Counter button + crouch. You can't fail it, and it carries out the action on its own...just like in Ryse. Granted, I think Ryse has the upper hand in varied "finishers" with over 100...correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. (I own and have played all 3 batman games).

But the Arkham games are also well-rounded metroidvanias. Would you enjoy the Arkham games if they were 100% focused on combat and it was just one room of bad guys after another? I don't think anyone would have given them a second thought if that were the case.

ironcreed

Banned

I don't care if it scores 2-5 across the board. I can tell just by looking at it that it is something I'll personally enjoy. Because I love ancient Rome, gladiators and action games in general and this looks like it more than fits that bill. Hell, I even have fun with games like Golden Axe: Beast Rider and this surely will be better than that. These kinds of games never get old for me.

Top Bottom