• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Oppo

Game is stupidly good looking. But I share concerns about that embargo date – that cannot mean anything good.

r13_by_mpackart-d6uqija.gif

Holy shit!

That is seriously impressive stuff!

shandy706

But the Arkham games are also well-rounded metroidvanias. Would you enjoy the Arkham games if they were 100% focused on combat and it was just one room of bad guys after another? I don't think anyone would have given them a second thought if that were the case.

Sure I would have enjoyed them anyway. I never really thought about them as "metroidvania". Good comparison though...hmmmm.

I don't expect Ryse to deliver the same experience on Crytek's first try, I'm just pointing out that the combat appears to be both simple and complex, depending on the player.

Many "action/beat-em-up" games can be beat by button mashers. I have a 7 year old cousin that beat AA and watching him play was rough, but he still beat the game, lol. You never know how complex (or horribly simple) something is just watching people play. It's often a mix of both and up to the player if they expand on what is available.

Game is stupidly good looking. But I share concerns about that embargo date – that cannot mean anything good.

Game is just insanely good looking but I won't be surprised if it's the worst reviewed title at launch after Crimson Dragon

I played James Cameron's Avatar to completion and didn't hate it, I think I'll be alright if Ryse doesn't review well.

Haha oh man I think Ryse might end up being your GOAT

Thefriend

Banned
I really doubt Ryse will be scored well. I've been listening to impressions by people who have played it. They're really underwhelmed.

This might come as a shock. Graphics aren't everything.

Gestault

That doesn't necessarily indicate that all the cutscenes are real time, which I somewhat doubt that they are. Not that it really matters though, I have no real criticisms for the visuals of the game as a launch title. It looks absolutely stellar and it would be day 1 if I had an Xbone.

Right, I wasn't commenting on any of that, lol. Just what you were saying about what constitutes real-time or not.

Let's be honest guys, can it score lower than Heavenly Sword, with it's over the top dialogue, no multiplayer, and a shorter single player campaign than Ryse?

iUWDKWQcmFJt3.png

I bought HS on launch day and thought it was an awesome game. Getting the same feeling with Ryse.

gossi

Two points:

- I played the game with an August build number - it did not do 'Skull' to execute symbol. You just went straight into QTEs (and I hated that). So that has changed late in the game. Smart move by developers.

- The cut scenes are NOT pre-rendered like The Last of Us. (TLoU used a rendering farm to make videos files which get played from disc, using higher quality assets).

Watched the first two levels played through on Gamespot. The game looks really fun, art design is gorgeous and the story looks really interesting. They said the chat room was going nuts over Ryse when they were playing it. Definitely think this will become a big franchise on Xbox.

FrankT

I don't care if it scores 2-5 across the board. I can tell just by looking at it that it is something I'll personally enjoy. Because I love ancient Rome, gladiators and action games in general and this looks like it more than fits that bill. Hell, I even have fun with games like Golden Axe: Beast Rider and this surely will be better than that. These kinds of games never get old for me.

I'm starting to come around especially with those gameplay details posted earlier. Far from QTE fest. Still could be just my eye candy game but I'm coming around.

REV 09

maybe if it was at midnight or something. 6am day of release? how is that bad? if reviews are terrible then xb1 could be getting shit on all day till midnight. i think MS just wanted to spread the reviews out for their big titles.

REV 09

Let's be honest guys, can it score lower than Heavenly Sword, with it's over the top dialogue, no multiplayer, and a shorter single player campaign than Ryse?

iUWDKWQcmFJt3.png

I bought HS on launch day and thought it was an awesome game. Getting the same feeling with Ryse.

games seem to be reviewed more harshly than they were back then. i would be happy if Ryse average 70%, but i honestly don't know where it'll land.

Oppo

What about Forza being embargoed still; do you think that is a bad thing?

That's tomorrow, right? I think it was strategically placed mid-week because they know it's good.

maybe if it was at midnight or something. 6am day of release? how is that bad? if reviews are terrible then xb1 could be getting shit on all day till midnight. i think MS just wanted to spread the reviews out for their big titles.

That's only a day though. Better than a week of bad word of mouth.

Anyways, I'll be happy to be wrong – I like good games! – but super late embargo dates are almost universally a huge red flag in my experience.

This game have a different review embargo date than the other One games? If so... can't be good.

I'll be listening to this when the Ryse reviews are put up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECewrAld3zw

My mind is already made up, so they won't change anything, but I'm assuming some will be brutal.

Heh, I feel no shame.

I need Ryse to succeed so I can get a sequel. With the foundation laid out I think they could flesh out the combat and create a solid franchise.

Hell yea, I'm onboard with you guys. I want to see Ryse succeed, because I want to see it become a franchise. Games that look far less deserving tend to see sequels. This has promise and potential written all over it, and I'm not ashamed to say I'm rooting for this game bigtime.

KKRT00

Two points:

- I played the game with an August build number - it did not do 'Skull' to execute symbol. You just went straight into QTEs (and I hated that). So that has changed late in the game. Smart move by developers.

Game never went automatically to execution mode in public shows, not even at E3.
You always had to press button to activate this mode.

Mask

Just saw the advert for this here in the UK. Looked nice!

I won't be grabbing an Xbox until next year, so I look forward to seeing how well this reviews, and if it's worth getting. Not too enthusiastic about the embargo being the day before release though..

Game never went automatically to execution mode in public shows, not even at E3.
You always had to press button to activate this mode.

They don't help themselves by always doing the executions, but we've always known they were optional. I found them fun at the Xbox One tour.

ahartig

A new video documentary about the combat and execution system is up, forgive me if it has been posted already. Some really good info.

http://youtu.be/NJ1VSyH25Gw

Combat seems simple to pickup, but challenging to really master. I cannot wait to play this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK. I've talked some shit about how dull this game looks, but this recent footage has me really impressed with its graphics. I hope it turns out to be a meaty game with some exciting gameplay.

danwarb

Why hold Forza 5 back then? That should review well. Maybe they want to spread out the coverage to maintain maximum interest. Or maybe it has something to do with day 1 updates and XBL.

Excited for this. I keep getting down over news, and I have expectations that it's sort of like a heavy rain style game, but I'm still going to get it. I love roman stuff.

Bydobob

iUWDKWQcmFJt3.png

Memory playing tricks, I thought Heavenly Sword was rated much worse than that. I also enjoyed the game, style over substance perhaps but a flashy game that showed the console's potential. Every launch needs one.

nillapuddin

I played this game maybe 5 different times over the weekend at the Xbox One Area One event in SF, and I gotta say I was impressed.

The first 2 times I played it, I sucked, I was expecting to play Roman Batman, and that was not the case.

The main difference is this

* In Batman Arkham Series, when you "Counter" you block the enemy, cover ground, and attack
* In Ryse, when you "Counter" you only block the enemy

So Attacking, Blocking, and Rolling are all independent in Ryse, in Batman they can be all encompassed onto One button press.

Once I learned how to control my character properly, it was very satisfying to take down both grunts and larger enemies, and I also had the desire to weaken groups of enemies to try and chain executions, obviously not necessary, but it gives you that extra thing to shoot for as a gamer.

The executions were satisfying, specifically because the environment, direction and positioning of the enemies changed them. Although I naturally repeated certain animations more frequently than others, the variety was pleasant.

danwarb

That doesn't necessarily indicate that all the cutscenes are real time, which I somewhat doubt that they are. Not that it really matters though, I have no real criticisms for the visuals of the game as a launch title. It looks absolutely stellar and it would be day 1 if I had an Xbone.

Perhaps, but I think they've made a point of getting them real-time rendered. The engine and loads more memory allows for some fancy pre-calculated physics and character animations to run. This is kind of a console tech demo.

Rodelero

These look like... people faces.

EA need to hire whichever individuals were involved with achieving this, and make them do it for sports games. It doesn't mean much in actual gameplay - and I don't think much of the enemy faces - but these are marvelous. Best faces ever?

I played this game maybe 5 different times over the weekend at the Xbox One Area One event in SF, and I gotta say I was impressed.

The first 2 times I played it, I sucked, I was expecting to play Roman Batman, and that was not the case.

The main difference is this

* In Batman Arkham Series, when you "Counter" you block the enemy, cover ground, and attack
* In Ryse, when you "Counter" you only block the enemy

So Attacking, Blocking, and Rolling are all independent in Ryse, in Batman they can be all encompassed onto One button press

Once I learned how to control my character properly, it was very satisfying to take down both grunts and larger enemies, and I also had the desire to weaken groups of enemies to try and chain executions, obviously not necessary, but it gives you that extra thing to shoot for as a gamer.

The executions were satisfying, specifically because the environment, direction and positioning of the enemies changed them. Although I naturally repeated certain animations more frequently than others, the variety was pleasant.

This is what I've noticed also for some time, and I haven't even played it myself yet. Batman does a bit more than just block or counter. He often delivers a followup attack of some kind upon countering that helps to get the new combo going. Ryse comes off as being more manual in its approach to combat.

I think differently, Ms has a thing for letting info go in small tidbits to keep the hype flowing... If they left Ryse for last they must be very confident in it...

nib95

Banned

iUWDKWQcmFJt3.png

You realise every single exclusive on both of the two new consoles has a lower Metacritic average than Heavenly Sword right? To answer your question, yes it can go lower. Much lower. Evidently journalists have decided to rate these next gen games on a stricter scale than with previous generations.

Top Bottom