• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rzyen performance - Windows 24H2 vs 23H2 - performance bug fix

winjer

Gold Member

WWP9L2v.png
adlf0i6.png

With Intel CPUs, the performance is identical for all games, except for Gears 5.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was just watching this video. This numbers cant be real?!? And would i also benefit from this new windows update with a 7600x? And is this only for win 11? As i am on win 10.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
AMD came back with receipts, love to see it.

Next up some counter arguments from certain someone ITT:

- Idle power consumption is still too stronk :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
- Doesn't matter to me, Intel is better :messenger_relieved:
- Gaming performance doesn't matter, idling is what people do 90 % of the time :messenger_savoring:
- The numbers are wrong, your mind is making up these numbers
- Intel is better, you can't prove me wrong

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I was just watching this video. This numbers cant be real?!? And would i also benefit from this new windows update with a 7600x? And is this only for win 11? As i am on win 10.

Of course you will.
But there are 2 questions to address. Windows 24H2 is still in a release preview state, so expect bugs and issues.
Besides, MS is supposed to release the patch for win 23H2 soon.
The second question is how much you are CPU bound. So it depends on your resolution, GPU and settings. But still, you will see performance improvements, especially for the 1% lows.

My advise, is to just wait a bit for the 23H2 patch.

winjer

Gold Member
Got to retest everything inclusive of Intel at this point - I cannot believe AMD left this much performance on the table with Zen4 and is only now realizing it.

It wasn't AMD that left this much performance on the table, it was Microsoft and their buggy Windows.
And it's not the first time this happens. From bugs that slow down SSDs, bugs that slow network, that slow boot time, etc, Windows is a freaking mess.
Ever since MS fired the Windows test team, that users became a guinea pig.

hinch7

Massive gains in some games. Can't wait for this update.

Hopefully Zen 3 gets a similar uplift too.

Rossco EZ

A user in the Guru3d forums tested with a 5800X3D and also found some big gains in some games.
Though he didn't test with as many games, as HU did.
Still, chances are we will see similar performance gains for Zen3.
Nice can’t wait to see results! Big ooof by windows though, crazy all this performance has been on the table.

winjer

Gold Member
Nice can’t wait to see results! Big ooof by windows though, crazy all this performance has been on the table.

Another question is if this update also benefits Zen and Zen2. That would also be impressive.
But most important, the Series consoles could also benefit from this new improvements, as a good deal of code is shared between.
And this could mean some performance gains in CPU bound games for these consoles.

Rossco EZ

Another question is if this update also benefits Zen and Zen2. That would also be impressive.
But most important, the Series consoles could also benefit from this new improvements, as a good deal of code is shared between.
And this could mean some performance gains in CPU bound games for these consoles.
If they see gains also thats really gonna be interesting, these YouTubers will have their time cut out with re testing for some time i think.

Never thought of the consoles seeing gains but you are right. Wonder how much of a difference they will see.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It wasn't AMD that left this much performance on the table, it was Microsoft and their buggy Windows.
And it's not the first time this happens. From bugs that slow down SSDs, bugs that slow network, that slow boot time, etc, Windows is a freaking mess.
Ever since MS fired the Windows test team, that users became a guinea pig.
And you know what’s wild, they have similar mentality in their Enterprise side. They cut testers and support team.

It’s beyond frustrating, but apparently nobody cares because their Cloud revenue is increasing at a very good pace.

My company pays MS a ton of $$$ for variety of services and more $$$ for support. And we still get bugs from rushed deployments and shit support all the time.

Now, take the Enterprise side and make it a lot worse on the consumer end. It’s a shit show.

Mokus

Wow! This is from two technology leading companies, Microsoft and AMD, that employs should be employing one the best engineers in the world. Embarrassing.
You think Sony's PS5 OS has the same bottleneck? If anything the Xbox Series S/X consoles that might suffer from unoptimized "tools".

Last edited:

Shodai

Zen 5 seems to be aimed more at data center / enterprise. They need to segment their consumer offerings better, make it clear x3d = gaming/brand it better, and release both variants at the same time...or their PR is going to get worse and worse.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Wow! This is from two technology leading companies, Microsoft and AMD, that employs should be employing one the best engineers in the world. Embarrassing.

You think Sony's PS5 OS has the same bottleneck? If anything the Xbox Series S/X consoles that might suffer from unoptimized "tools".

No. Sony's PS5 seems to be performing well in CPU bound games. It's the Series S/X that is underperforming in some CPU bound scenarios.
Microsoft is constantly screwing up with their updates, ever since they fired their Q&A team. And this is just another, among many, examples.
Fortunately for us, AMD was able to find this bug with Windows and have Microsoft fix it.

nowhat

I'd lay the blame definitely more on Microsoft here. According to Phoronix (no personal experience, but Phoronix is legit), Linux gaming saw immediate and larger gains with Zen 5 compared to Windows. Whether this is due to AMD engineers submitting patches or the kernel devs just having access to the specs of upcoming hardware is irrelevant. Microsoft surely had the same specs available well beforehand.

Not at all surprised considering someone already did some benchmarks on the 9700x and 7700x with Nobara and Windows (24H2). The percent gain in performance when going from the 7700x to the 9700x in Nobara is significantly greater than on Windows:
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - 7.7% gain on Nobara vs 5.3% gain on Windows
  • RDR2* - 11.2% gain on Nobara vs 5.3% gain on Windows
  • Horizon FW** - 7.5% gain on Nobara vs 5.4% gain on Windows
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 10.9% gain on Nobara vs 5.4% gain on Windows
  • World of Warcraft*** - 9.9% gain on Nobara vs 5.3% gain on Windows
*Linux performance on the 7700X was better than the Windows performance on the 9700X on RDR2
**Ditto with Horizon FW
***Performance on WoW was better on Windows than on Linux, but the performance differential was much smaller on the 9700x than on the 7700x.

intbal

Wasn't there a multiplatform game recently where the developers reported that threads were being incorrectly left disabled on Series consoles (but same didn't happen on PS5)? I think it was something maybe still in beta. Don't want to have to go through every game thread and DF video to find it. Maybe someone else recalls that.

winjer

Gold Member
Wasn't there a multiplatform game recently where the developers reported that threads were being incorrectly left disabled on Series consoles (but same didn't happen on PS5)? I think it was something maybe still in beta. Don't want to have to go through every game thread and DF video to find it. Maybe someone else recalls that.

Yes, there was. But I don't know if it's related, of if it's a different bug in Microsoft's software stack.

Last edited:

intbal

Yes, I there was. But I don't know if it's related, of if it's a different bug in Microsoft's software stack.
Not saying it was related to the issue from this thread, just that Microsoft's system software still isn't in perfect shape.

Mokus

I'd lay the blame definitely more on Microsoft here. According to Phoronix (no personal experience, but Phoronix is legit), Linux gaming saw immediate and larger gains with Zen 5 compared to Windows. Whether this is due to AMD engineers submitting patches or the kernel devs just having access to the specs of upcoming hardware is irrelevant. Microsoft surely had the same specs available well beforehand.
I agree with you. Only that not seeing for years that their own CPU could perform significantly better on Windows where are the majority of the gamers, is a stupid misstep from AMD's part.

But as the saying goes, better late than never.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
How to get this 24H2 update? I have insider builds on am stuck on 23H2. Windows update says everything is updated!

Top Bottom