• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rzyen performance - Windows 24H2 vs 23H2 - performance bug fix

Codeblew

I am little bit out of the loop.
How did the performance increase that much.
Was it deliberate gimping in the previous version
To fix a CPU bug on older AMD chips, windows put in a fix that flushed the branch predictor often (which hurts performance). The problem is they did this for past and future AMD CPU's. AMD fixed the old bug in newer chips, but windows never fixed their code to leave the branch predictor alone in later AMD chips. That is my understanding, somebody I am sure will correct me if I am wrong.

Filben

They only give 1080p results so useless for those who play at 1440+ -_-'
With higher res you're probably in GPU-bound territory. If you're mainly within the GPU limit you probably won't notice anything anyways. Maybe in some CPU-bound scenarios it could reduce some occasional stutter. But if it's unoptimized code with microstutter... a few % more of CPU power won't overcome this. And at 1440p it's probably your GPU doing the heavy lifting unless you have a 4090, avoid ray tracing and aim for +120fps.

marquimvfs

One more thing. Regardless of people having AMD or Intel CPUs, if you install Windows 11, for any version, do this

I use Virtual machines in an almost daily basis. Wil test that later, if the performance increase is enough, I will keep a secondary OS installation just for gaming.

winjer

Gold Member
I use Virtual machines in an almost daily basis. Wil test that later, if the performance increase is enough, I will keep a secondary OS installation just for gaming.

No need to do that.
Just disable SVM in the UEFI and restart, and it will disable virtualization based security in Windows.

You can verify is it's enabled or not by running sysinfo app. (msinfo32)~and checking if Virtualization-Based Security is enabled.

marquimvfs

No need to do that.
Just disable SVM in the UEFI and restart, and it will disable virtualization based security in Windows.

You can verify is it's enabled or not by running sysinfo app. (msinfo32)~and checking if Virtualization-Based Security is enabled.
Thank you very much. Will do that.
And wow at those Guru 3D findings. Now, I'm more anxious about Intel new gen benchmarks. They will have to be about 15% better than Zen 4 to surpass AMD in gaming. Not betting in that, especially given that Intel is arguably trying to improve their efficiency numbers. I'm betting its numbers will be shy at most scenarios.

winjer

Gold Member
Thank you very much. Will do that.
And wow at those Guru 3D findings. Now, I'm more anxious about Intel new gen benchmarks. They will have to be about 15% better than Zen 4 to surpass AMD in gaming. Not betting in that, especially given that Intel is arguably trying to improve their efficiency numbers. I'm betting its numbers will be shy at most scenarios.

HU only tested a handful of games with an 14600K, in Windows 24H2 vs 23H2. Only one of them had some improvement, Gears 5.
But there might be more. Steve said he was doing more tests, so he should expect another follow up video by the end of the week.
I suspect that 24H2, besides the improvements to Zen's scheduler, also has more things that are improving performance, not solely directly related to Zen.

winjer

Gold Member
Where is that this is Sparta guy? 😂
YI3Jv0p.gif

Mp7EsYC.jpeg

winjer

Gold Member

Rossco EZ

The new update will be listed under the Windows Update menu in the "Optional Updates" section as "KB5041587" which makes things a lot easier for those who haven't updated or opted into the 24H2 preview.
updating now

You do realize that AMD doesn't control Windows.
I realize this, do you realize that AMD apparently doesn't test their CPU performance when running a normal user account like 99.99999% of end users instead of an admin account?

AMD should have found this problem on day 1 more than 3 years ago

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I realize this, do you realize that AMD apparently doesn't test their CPU performance when running a normal user account like 99.99999% of end users instead of an admin account?

Probably because they require full system control for testing and debugging.
But thanks to that, they found another Windows bug and now we get some nice performance gains.
Now, normal user accounts perform as it should.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

AMD should have found this problem on day 1 more than 3 years ago
Yeah, just like Intel corrected they shitty big-little thread director ahead of 12th gen launch. /s

People tend to forget that Microsoft is always slow at releasing patches, that the established test suite that AMD uses didn't catch the problem, and that the main competitor also suffered (or still suffers) from similar optimization problems.

Yes, big-LITTLE was launched 2 generations ago, and to this day there's (underground, i know) software that still is assigned to run only on LITTLE cores, despite needing a high amount of performance. Intel managed to improve it with a better solution (Intel Aplication Optimization), unfortunately, not available to some skus.

So, no, that's not AMDs fault. But now we hope that they factor Microsoft's incompetence in their testing and do test some more scenarios ahead of launching. Like I said, even the main competitor suffered similar problems.

Also, I could bet that if AMD didn't doubled down on their results, fighted some independent testers, conducted an internal investigation and reported the failure to Microsoft, this failure would never be disclosed and we wouldn't see a fix in a matter of days.

Last edited:

misterxyz

Neo Member
It's insane how this situation is the complete opposite of what's happening with Intel. Raptor Lake chips are frying themselves 2 years after release while the Ryzen ones just keep getting better.

peish

The new update will be listed under the Windows Update menu in the "Optional Updates" section as "KB5041587" which makes things a lot easier for those who haven't updated or opted into the 24H2 preview.

Updated and nothing burger on 7950x3d, HUB done goof, youtubers and their paparazzi rush!

winjer

Gold Member
Updated and nothing burger on 7950x3d, HUB done goof, youtubers and their paparazzi rush!

From what I see in other forums, the 23H2 update did nothing.
The only way to get the performance gains is with 24H2. Too many people and reviewers have confirmed the gains with 24H2.

peish

From what I see in other forums, the 23H2 update did nothing.
The only way to get the performance gains is with 24H2. Too many people and reviewers have confirmed the gains with 24H2.

Sounds like snake oil and poor test controls by HUB, keep waiting for nuthing

As my spartan bro will say

winjer

Gold Member
Now, that I have 24H2 installed, I did a few quick tests.

Remnant 2 - went from ~90 fps to 100 fps
Y-cruncher 1B - just beat my all time record with 5800X3d. ~33s -> 32s

Pyprime, Cinebench R23 multi, and 7 zip, got the same result.

Smiggs

Now, that I have 24H2 installed, I did a few quick tests.

Remnant 2 - went from ~90 fps to 100 fps
Y-cruncher 1B - just beat my all time record with 5800X3d. ~33s -> 32s

Pyprime, Cinebench R23 multi, and 7 zip, got the same result.
Have you seen any real improvement with the 1% lows on what you tested? That gains on Fortnight is absolutely absurd.

Top Bottom