• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rzyen performance - Windows 24H2 vs 23H2 - performance bug fix

walter568

Neo Member
A quick test with the CP2077 Benchmark on my Zen3 5950X.

The last time I run the Benchmark,
averageFps: 80.42170715332031
minFps: 40.668094635009769
maxFps: 96.4668960571289

After the Windows 11 Patch 23H2 with KB5041587, and running the program in administrator mode,
averageFps: 86.76786804199219
minFps: 44.04840087890625
maxFps: 99.67555236816406

OverHeat

« generous god »
At this point MS would have to ship two separate builds for Intel and AMD because when they try to fix the mess one of them makes it affects the other.,

0xyCfer.jpeg

LEONIDAS!!!!

This is why I'm more looking forward to the eventual release of desktop SteamOS than Windows 24h2. SteamOS-like distros such as Bazzite and ChimeraOS have shown good results, but they are still missing some notable features like TDP control. Also, having a gaming distro maintained by Valve is a different beast and gives a sense of official-ness.

i've not been following but is valve working on a desktop release?

after i got my steam deck i gave linux a try as my one and only OS for gaming. i was surprised how well it worked but there were a few issues (not necessarily all Linux related) and I went back to Windows.
Valve has stated on record that they will release SteamOS on other PC handhelds first before moving onto desktop. And since we're talking about Valve-time, who knows when it'll eventually happen.

I just hope 24H2 installs because since KB5041585 Windows Update is driving me crazy..

2024-08 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5041587)
Install error - 0x80070002

winjer

Gold Member
I just hope 24H2 installs because since KB5041585 Windows Update is driving me crazy..

2024-08 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5041587)
Install error - 0x80070002

Run the update troubleshooter
Settings -> Update & security -> Troubleshoot
On the left, click windows update then click the run the troubleshooter button.

Run the update troubleshooter
Settings -> Update & security -> Troubleshoot
On the left, click windows update then click the run the troubleshooter button.
I already tried Troubleshoot, reset Register, delete SoftwareDistribution folder, download through Microsoft Update Catalog and failed. Maybe I'll give up and try Recovery/Reinstall Windows.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
anyone with a 7800/7950X3D who plays at 1440p or 4K that can speak about performance improvements? i get the idea behind testing at 720/1080p but most of us aren't playing at those resolutions with powerful gpus like 4080 or 4090.

It all depends on what game you're playing and what GPU you're pairing it with. If the GPU is the bottleneck, extra CPU performance isn't going to help you much outside of maybe 1% lows.

Last edited:
Did you also try DISM to restore health. And sfc /scannow.
Tried both a moment ago. Still the same error. I even tried a 2nd time and rebooted before retry Windows Update.

DISM Check+Scan+Restore = The operation completed successfully
sfc /scannow = Did not find any integrity violations

Thanks anyway!!

winjer

Gold Member
Tried both a moment ago. Still the same error. I even tried a 2nd time and rebooted before retry Windows Update.

Thanks anyway!!

You can try using Cris Titus tool. Just run this command in powershell, as Admin.

In the config tab, there are some troubleshooting tools.
One is to do a reset of Windows Update.
Might be worth a shot, before using the nuclear option.

BTW, have you tried downloading the KB5041585 from the Windows catalog and installing it directly.

GamersNexus is looking pretty right now, because they were the outlet that most aggressively stood by their stance that the 9000 Ryzen generation is just wasted potential, and that he power efficiency gains don't make up for it. They got criticized by the community for their stance and then published a follow-up piece defending it. That is probably the GN video with the most negative comments under it I have seen yet. Now, their take wasn't even wrong, because in the end they just report the numbers. And since PBO is not activated by default - and as a reviewer you should review at default settings - it was basically up to the user to decide against power effiency in favor of performance gains.

But the problem also remains that Level1Techs did comparisons of Ryzen 9000 performance under Linux vs. under Windows, and the numbers under Linux did look a lot better in terms of generational gain. And at the time I thought - and I was not the only one - that there is probably some sort of patchable problem under Windows, or in the microcode for the mainboard BIOSes, or both. The fact that GN never picked up on this makes them look worse than usual, imho.

marquimvfs

GamersNexus is looking pretty right now, because they were the outlet that most aggressively stood by their stance that the 9000 Ryzen generation is just wasted potential, and that he power efficiency gains don't make up for it. They got criticized by the community for their stance and then published a follow-up piece defending it. That is probably the GN video with the most negative comments under it I have seen yet. Now, their take wasn't even wrong, because in the end they just report the numbers. And since PBO is not activated by default - and as a reviewer you should review at default settings - it was basically up to the user to decide against power effiency in favor of performance gains.

But the problem also remains that Level1Techs did comparisons of Ryzen 9000 performance under Linux vs. under Windows, and the numbers under Linux did look a lot better in terms of generational gain. And at the time I thought - and I was not the only one - that there is probably some sort of patchable problem under Windows, or in the microcode for the mainboard BIOSes, or both. The fact that GN never picked up on this makes them look worse than usual, imho.
I get them. Not every outlet has te tools to test under Linux environments

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

I dunno, im not seeing much difference on my 7800xt/5800x3d.

Jedi Survivor played a tad better but forbidden west seems the same.

You can try using Cris Titus tool. Just run this command in powershell, as Admin.

In the config tab, there are some troubleshooting tools.
One is to do a reset of Windows Update.
Might be worth a shot, before using the nuclear option.

BTW, have you tried downloading the KB5041585 from the Windows catalog and installing it directly.

Just tried Reset Windows Update, System Corruption Scan, Microsoft Update Catalog.. Nothing, fails everytime.

Like i said, will wait for 24H2 to appear or Recovery / Reinstall if this problem still persists. I don't remember having troubles with Windows Update until this time.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Just tried Reset Windows Update, System Corruption Scan, Microsoft Update Catalog.. Nothing, fails everytime.

Like i said, will wait for 24H2 to appear or Recovery / Reinstall if this problem still persists. I don't remember having troubles with Windows Update until this time.
In my experience, that error code you are facing will just be solved in the next big update. Sometimes, the PC doesn't even update anymore, as the update you're unable to install is essential to the next one. Wait a little bit and if the sistem is not installing any update, do a fresh install.

peish

Thanks anyway!!

Had this error. I did sfc/scannow first then dism restore health next. both run as admin.
i had the pc connected to internet using lan cable.

winjer

Gold Member

Try using the iso from Microsoft.
The link id in the firdt page.

This is why I'm more looking forward to the eventual release of desktop SteamOS than Windows 24h2. SteamOS-like distros such as Bazzite and ChimeraOS have shown good results, but they are still missing some notable features like TDP control. Also, having a gaming distro maintained by Valve is a different beast and gives a sense of official-ness.
I don't believe it's coincidental that Valve has not released Steam OS as a general software distribution. Valve isn't in the position where they can actively bite the hand that feeds them, since regular Steam runs on Windows and there is no benefit to them to openly antagonize Microsoft

winjer

Gold Member
I don't believe it's coincidental that Valve has not released Steam OS as a general software distribution. Valve isn't in the position where they can actively bite the hand that feeds them, since regular Steam runs on Windows and there is no benefit to them to openly antagonize Microsoft

Valve has already said several times they don't like Microsoft and especially the Windows Store.

They might have not released SteamOS for desktops, but they have released the most important part: Proton.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
At this point MS would have to ship two separate builds for Intel and AMD because when they try to fix the mess one of them makes it affects the other.,

Wait this was caused by a fix for an Intel problem? Is that what this is saying?

twilo99

Gold Member
Wait this was caused by a fix for an Intel problem? Is that what this is saying?

It's not that far fetched really considering how many parts they have to support and optimize for and they are obviously not doing enough testing for every single one.

This one is a big release tho so not sure how AMD didn't hold off until they had an optimized OS to ship on

No. AMD CPU's are also affected by Spectre/Meltdown until Zen 3/4/5

Intel CPU's were affected until 10th gen Core (Ice Lake)

Some ARM Cortex CPU's were affected too

Basically all CPU's with a speculative execution model were affected until the vulnerability was publicly known and designs could be changed

Top Bottom