• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rzyen performance - Windows 24H2 vs 23H2 - performance bug fix

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
See the middle of this page:

This link says there will be an option of 'choose your insider settings', though I dont have any such option, as shown below. In fact it says check windows update for a newer and more secure build', but windows update says I am up to update. Stuck in a loop I guess. Anyway. Thanks for your help :)

W4fN0Jc.jpeg

winjer

Gold Member
This link says there will be an option of 'choose your insider settings', though I dont have any such option, as shown below. In fact it says check windows update for a newer and more secure build', but windows update says I am up to update. Stuck in a loop I guess. Anyway. Thanks for your help :)

W4fN0Jc.jpeg

Download the ISO, extract to your desktop, then execute the installer.
Or download Rufus and create a bootable Installation USB drive.

It's the Release Preview Channel Windows11 Build 26100.1150

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

W4fN0Jc.jpeg

click download iso, sign in and then look for the drop down and then select a Release Preview build
oRbvzSx.png

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Download the ISO, extract to your desktop, then execute the installer.
Or download Rufus and create a bootable Installation USB drive.

It's the Release Preview Channel Windows11 Build 26100.1150
Thank you and sorry just one last question. Will the ISO method keep all my settings and programs as it is? Or will it be a fresh install with everything gone?

Puscifer

Got to retest everything inclusive of Intel at this point - I cannot believe AMD left this much performance on the table with Zen4 and is only now realizing it.
It happened when 11 launched, it took 2 weeks to fix known performance issues. No idea why they didn't just wait a few weeks because this is an egg on the face moment

winjer

Gold Member
Thank you and sorry just one last question. Will the ISO method keep all my settings and programs as it is? Or will it be a fresh install with everything gone?

When you run the ISO, it will ask you what you want to keep. Including programs, settings and personal files.

BUT, remember this is a preview build. It might go wrong.
So it's better to have a USB pen drive, with an installation of Win11 23H2. Just in case things go wrong.

BTW, I don't know about you, but I have my main 2TB SSD partitioned into 2 drivers. One with 300Gb for Windows and programs. And the the rest for my files and games.
So when I need to reinstall Windows, I can easily format and do a perfectly clean installation.

nikos

You guys have really overcomplicated things in this thread for seemingly no reason. I just updated to 24H2 in 10-15 minutes.

Search "insider" on Windows Search.
Open Windows Insider Program Settings.
If you're not part of it, click to join. You'll have to sign in and enable diagnostics on your PC.
You'll be able to choose a release channel. Choose Release Preview.
Open Windows Update and continue to update until 24H2 is offered.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
You guys have really overcomplicated things in this thread for seemingly no reason. I just updated to 24H2 in 10-15 minutes.

Search "insider" on Windows Search.
Open Windows Insider Program Settings.
If you're not part of it, click to join. You'll have to sign in and enable diagnostics on your PC.
You'll be able to choose a release channel. Choose Release Preview.
Open Windows Update and continue to update until 24H2 is offered.

That's only correct if the Windows update works properly, which doesn't always happen.
There are plenty of bugs that prevent users from upgrading as seemingly as that.

Bojji

I would like to see Zen 3 performance difference.

It's fucking disgusting that Windows was optimized for Intel all this time and Zen performance was reduced, I wonder how Zen 3/4/5 compares to 13/14 gen with this patch.

Aretak

I would like to see Zen 3 performance difference.

It's fucking disgusting that Windows was optimized for Intel all this time and Zen performance was reduced, I wonder how Zen 3/4/5 compares to 13/14 gen with this patch.
Hanlon's razor applies here. Windows is just a big ol' pile of shit these days. Everybody from the glory days of Windows is long gone and been replaced with cheap labor. It's been said many times that the current devs are afraid to touch a lot of the legacy Windows code in case the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, because there's nobody left at the company who worked on it and documentation is poor. It always gets bodied by Linux in CPU benchmarks. Phoronix had one of the most positive reviews of Zen 5 day one and people chose to ignore those results in favor of the negativity circlejerk. Wendell has also done some good investigative work into the poor performance most people saw on Windows. Literally the only thing Windows has going for it is legacy software compatibility, and yes, it's impossible to downplay just how huge of a selling point that is. But as a modern OS it's a disaster, with a clusterfuck of a UI that's been half one thing and half another for well over a decade now, a severe lack of QA testing after Microsoft decided to fire all their testers to let you and me do it for free and legacy debt out the wazoo.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Just be careful while testing previews guys. Microsoft don't have test team anymore, so you can harm your computer in the process.

Last edited:
Inb4 MS "we can't comment on deals made with other platform holders"

In all seriousness, there's also a report that an unfixed bug with VBS/Core Isolation kills performance on 5800X3D even when Core Isolation is turned off, anybody else heard about this?

OverHeat

« generous god »
The issue with insider is that you need to reinstall windows if you want to get off the program.
Not true if you want to get out now yes if your willing to wait for the next update on normal channel you don’t have to do nothing

Last edited:
They only give 1080p results so useless for those who play at 1440+ -_-'
I don't bother with CPU reviews anymore - if I can't see the uplift at 1440p/4k then why bother? Whilst I used to sub to HU, I stopped as I found Steve arrogant and petty (lots of passive aggressive messaging when he *had* to do a 5800x3d benchmark vs the 7800x3d - "well if you really want to see those results then I suppose I'm going to have to do it". Also he mainly plays Fortnight @ 1080p and has little to no interest in single player games so there is that as well.

Pejo

Is the original problem (that 24H2 fixes) also present in Win10, or is this only a Win11 problem?

Bry0

You need optional diagnostics turned on to be in the release preview. Just a warning. One of the first things I did was turn that off, and I don’t think it’s really worth it. 24h2 should ship pretty soon. It’s already out on copilot PCs and has been in release preview for nearly 4 months.

b0uncyfr0

My extensive reddit investigation indicates this will come out in 2 weeks- still quite a way off. Can i install the update(iso i guiess?) now - then reinstall the regular version when its out? :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I played with Insider builds before - they're hard to get out of.

hinch7

I don't bother with CPU reviews anymore - if I can't see the uplift at 1440p/4k then why bother? Whilst I used to sub to HU, I stopped as I found Steve arrogant and petty (lots of passive aggressive messaging when he *had* to do a 5800x3d benchmark vs the 7800x3d - "well if you really want to see those results then I suppose I'm going to have to do it". Also he mainly plays Fortnight @ 1080p and has little to no interest in single player games so there is that as well.
Its to test the CPU's performance. The higher res you go, the more the results becomes GPU bound. You need to test CPU's at lower resolutions for that not to be a factor.

When at 1440P/4K, its the GPU is what you are testing and not the CPU.

Last edited:
Hanlon's razor applies here. Windows is just a big ol' pile of shit these days. Everybody from the glory days of Windows is long gone and been replaced with cheap labor. It's been said many times that the current devs are afraid to touch a lot of the legacy Windows code in case the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, because there's nobody left at the company who worked on it and documentation is poor. It always gets bodied by Linux in CPU benchmarks. Phoronix had one of the most positive reviews of Zen 5 day one and people chose to ignore those results in favor of the negativity circlejerk. Wendell has also done some good investigative work into the poor performance most people saw on Windows. Literally the only thing Windows has going for it is legacy software compatibility, and yes, it's impossible to downplay just how huge of a selling point that is. But as a modern OS it's a disaster, with a clusterfuck of a UI that's been half one thing and half another for well over a decade now, a severe lack of QA testing after Microsoft decided to fire all their testers to let you and me do it for free and legacy debt out the wazoo.
Thats why I've been following PopOS. If Windows is such a clusterfuck, I wonder how much Linux is a clusterfuck. The new version of PopOS aims to completely ditch any spaghetti code of Linux and unnecessary libraries calls. Its being rewritten from scratch on new modern code. Iced Rust gui- it's aimes to be a gaming Linux distro. We will see.

winjer

Gold Member
Does it do anything for my 7950x3d?

From the Guru3d forums, with a 7800X3D. Should be similar for the 7950X3D.

CONFIRMED MY SELF!!!

7800X3D CO -30
RTX4090 OC
32GB 6000MHz CL30 RAM

I just reinstalled Win 11 with my ventoy usb. Entered Dev channel of the insider build and updated to 24H2.

I ran Cyberpunk 2077 at the same settings I have ran the game at on 23H2 (latest official stable release).

23H2 was

AVG FPS 185FPS
MIN FPS 98FPS
MAX FPS 201FPS

24H2 is....

AVG FPS 199FPS
MIN FPS 107FPS
MAX FPS 226FPS

This is an insane jump for just a windows update. What the hell was Microsoft doing for all other versions of Windows 11? Everything needs retesting now because you can throw out all previous data for Zen4 & 5 and probably Zen 3 as well out the window.

nowhat

Thats why I've been following PopOS. If Windows is such a clusterfuck, I wonder how much Linux is a clusterfuck. The new version of PopOS aims to completely ditch any spaghetti code of Linux and unnecessary libraries calls. Its being rewritten from scratch on new modern code. Iced Rust gui- it's aimes to be a gaming Linux distro. We will see.
Can't speak of Gnome, but when it comes to KDE (these are the two main Linux desktop environments), I don't think you can fault it for having legacy cruft or spaghetti code, at least not nearly as much as Windows. This is why the move to KDE 4 was so painful, they basically rewrote it from scratch (and yes, when I migrated from 3.5.something to 4.2, it was still barely functional at the time, things have got much better since). Now with KDE Plasma 6 (I'm not going to go into the whole "Plasma" thing, the naming conventions are weird, just roll with it) you can have a fully functional contemporary desktop with all the bling you'd ever want. Or on a system with limited resources, just a basic but fast system, you can configure it to your liking. Incidentally, Steam Deck uses KDE when you switch to the desktop mode.

Iced looks like an interesting project (far from being completed though), and of course competition is welcome, but your view of the current state of desktop Linux may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Gubaldo

Neo Member
I am little bit out of the loop.
How did the performance increase that much.
Was it deliberate gimping in the previous version

Last edited:
Top Bottom