• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rzyen performance - Windows 24H2 vs 23H2 - performance bug fix

lmimmfn

I tried this on Windows 10 running with/without admin account, i did 2 runs for each(without admin/with admin - to remove shader compilation issues), results are from second run for without admin account & with

Conclusion: On Windows 10, If you're gaming at 1440 and above with a decent GPU and on Windows 10(cant speak for Windows 11), this is a nothing burger. I gained 1.23 % in Cyberpunk and 0-1% in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Those results are within margin of multiple runs without any changes.
Result: On Windows 10 = Waste of time :)

Setup: 7800X3D, 4070Ti, NVME, and as said Windows 10. Screen resolution was 3440x1440 so GPU is limiting rather than CPU

Cyberpunk(In game benchmark):
Without Admin:
Avg: 66.70
Min: 33.22
Max: 81.63

With Admin:
Avg: 67.52
Min: 33.79
Max 81.59
Num Of Frames: 4336

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
Without Admin:
Min CPU Game: 246
Min CPU Render: 141
Min GPU: 96

Max CPU Game: 527
Max CPU Render: 513
Max GPU: 248

Average CPU Game: 358
Average CPU Render: 261
Average GPU: 125

95% CPU Game: 252
95% CPU Render: 141
95% GPU: 102

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
With Admin:
Min CPU Game: 244
Min CPU Render: 141
Min GPU: 96

Max CPU Game: 522
Max CPU Render: 525
Max GPU: 248

Average CPU Game: 358
Average CPU Render: 263
Average GPU: 125

95% CPU Game: 252
95% CPU Render: 141
95% GPU: 102

Last edited:

Allandor

No. AMD CPU's are also affected by Spectre/Meltdown until Zen 3/4/5

Intel CPU's were affected until 10th gen Core (Ice Lake)

Some ARM Cortex CPU's were affected too

Basically all CPU's with a speculative execution model were affected until the vulnerability was publicly known and designs could be changed
Yes and CPUs were also affected but only with a much lower chance that it was working, as and controlled full addresses while Intel only checked parts of the address to save performance.

But this was fixed via bios Updates yes ago. I can understand that Ms mitigated this via windows, but not deactivating it when it was fixed for a processor is really odd, especially as it was known that it costs CPU performance.

Von Hugh

Gold Member
The 5800X3D seems to be a gift that keeps on giving:

Gaming performance W11 23H2 → KB5041587 note
Ryzen 9 9950X +8.8% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 9700X +12.1% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 5 9600X +12.0% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 7800X3D +6.2% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 5 7600X +7.8% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 5800X3D +16.9% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 7 game tests

(https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...rsage-zen-5-mit-windows-11-24h2-getestet.html)

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
BTW, for anyone using 24H2, consider removing Recall.

atqlN3j.png

Rossco EZ

The 5800X3D seems to be a gift that keeps on giving:

Gaming performance W11 23H2 → KB5041587 note
Ryzen 9 9950X +8.8% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 9700X +12.1% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 5 9600X +12.0% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 7800X3D +6.2% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 5 7600X +7.8% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 8 game tests
Ryzen 7 5800X3D +16.9% 720p +DLSS/FSR avg fps, average 7 game tests

(https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...rsage-zen-5-mit-windows-11-24h2-getestet.html)
Said it before, the 1080ti of CPU’s :messenger_sunglasses:

winjer

Gold Member
I tried out a few UE4 games, with Windows 24H2 and found some really good performance gains.
For context, UE4 usually has it's performance limited by a couple of main threads, while the rest of the threads only get minor workloads.
Days Gone, original Outer Worlds, Ghostwire Tokyo, Destroy all humans 2, got 10-20 extra fps.
In the Outer Worlds, in the Byzantium plaza, it used to tank performance into the 60-70s fps. But now it stays in the 80-100 fps range.
My 5800X3D just got a new life.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Out of curiosity, I downloaded this 23H2 update KB5041587 and ran a benchmark nobody runs

FFXIV Dawntrail Benchmark

Before:
uyfIqOa.jpeg

After:
QyiWZ6Q.jpeg

So...about a 3.1% performance uplift. Hey, free is free I guess. Not gonna complain about free

Do you have VBS off?
Try going to Settings, Core Isolation and turn off Memory Integrity.

FireFly

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Time to upgrade to W11 then, the update is not yet officially released right?

Wait for October-November, that's when 24H2 will be released into the stable channel.

I got some really nice performance gains in many games, but it also has some bugs. I had a couple of crashes. My wallpaper keeps disappearing and repapering with every reboot. BBR2 protocol doesn't work with Steam.
And I saw some people complaining that Star Wars Outlaws doesn't work on this OS.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Wait for October-November, that's when 24H2 will be released into the stable channel.

I got some really nice performance gains in many games, but it also has some bugs. I had a couple of crashes. My wallpaper keeps disappearing and repapering with every reboot. BBR2 protocol doesn't work with Steam.
And I saw some people complaining that Star Wars Outlaws doesn't work on this OS.
God sometimes I can’t stand MS. And half of my day job is on MS platform. The other half is on Amazon’s side and I would rather work with them all day, every day.

Me too, it's pointless for normal users and hurts performance.
Try other games. I found that several UE4 games get some decent performance improvements.
Steve at HUB mentioned also there may be a bug where VBS (Memory Integrity) stays turned on and running even when you turn it off, I will eventually circle back and disable SVM (Virtualization) in BIOS which forces VBS off and run this benchmark again

Type_Raver

TL;DW: Windows 11 is a piece of shit, you can literally fresh install it multiple times and get different performance on Ryzen for reasons which are still completely unknown

Whats interesting is seeing that Windows 10 compared to all the versions of 11.

Anyone know how Zen 3 compares with win11 H24 vs win10?

winjer

Gold Member
Steve at HUB mentioned also there may be a bug where VBS (Memory Integrity) stays turned on and running even when you turn it off, I will eventually circle back and disable SVM (Virtualization) in BIOS which forces VBS off and run this benchmark again

I never encountered that bug. But Windows 11 has so many, it's very plausible.

Forget about silicon lottery. Now it's all about Windows install lottery. :messenger_beaming:

winjer

Gold Member
They were obviously not ready for release

It wasn't a problem with the CPUs of the AGESA. It was an issue about how the latency was being reported to the software.

Some believe the inter-core latency wasn’t actually a problem but rather an issue with how the tools measured it. AMD has likely addressed this in the benchmarks, which now show more accurate data. So, instead of a fix, this seems to be more of a parameter tuning.

ap_puff

It wasn't a problem with the CPUs of the AGESA. It was an issue about how the latency was being reported to the software.

If nothing changed besides reporting I'm not sure why people are reporting improvements in benchmark scores

Last edited:

marquimvfs

They were obviously not ready for release

I agree, to some extent. I've read reports that linux latency report wasn't as bad as windows. To me, that is an extension of the problem that AMD was facing with microsoft. Obviously, they could have nailed that before launch, but, I'm still glad that they're fixing things fast enough. And the fixes are improving things instead of tanking performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom