• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

São Paulo council approves Heterosexual Pride Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/03/2343910/sao-paulo-council-approves-heterosexual.html

SAO PAULO -- The city council of South America's biggest city has adopted legislation calling for a Heterosexual Pride Day to be celebrated on the third Sunday of each December.
Sao Paulo Mayor Gilberto Kassab must sign the legislation for it to become law and has said only that he is studying it. His office declined Wednesday to say whether he supports the proposal.

The legislation's author, Carlos Apolinario, said the idea for a Heterosexual Pride Day is "not anti-gay but a protest against the privileges the gay community enjoys."
As an example, he mentioned how Sao Paulo's huge gay pride day parade is held every year on Paulista Avenue, one of the main thoroughfares in this city of 20 million people, while the March for Jesus organized by evangelical groups is not allowed on the same avenue.
"I respect gays and I am against any kind of aggression made against them," Apolinario said. "I have no trouble coexisting with gays as long as their behavior is normal."

The Brazilian Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Association criticized the legislation, saying it could provoke homophobic violence.
"How many LGBTs will be attacked because of the message that only heterosexuality makes someone a moral person and a good citizen," the association said in a statement.
"The celebration of heterosexual pride is inappropriate because it belittles the just cause of the LGBT community," the statement added. "Unlike homosexuals, heterosexuals are not discriminated against simply for being heterosexuals."

In a recent report, the gay rights group Grupo Gay da Bahia said 260 gays were murdered last year in Brazil, up 113 percent from five years earlier.

The "moral person and a good citizen" is a reply to one of Apolinario's quotes saying that the "heterosexual pride day" is to "conscientize and stimulate the population to protect the moral and the good citizen"

He also said in another interview that he "isn't an homofobic, his hairdresser is gay and talks to him"

These kinds of things makes me hate my country

oh here go hell come

pCJ3n.gif

Lemme break this down for y'all, specifically those posters above and below me. There's really no need for a hetero pride parade in an already hetero-normative society, as it would only serve to further disenfranchise the "other".

Kurdel

Banned
Heterosexual pride day is the other 364 days of the year.

If they want a parade, then have one.

We could probably fund an LGBT float to show our support for the heteros. My mechanic is hetero and I speak to him. No hate here!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Finally, an event that insecure teens can participate in.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The legislation's author, Carlos Apolinario, said the idea for a Heterosexual Pride Day is "not anti-gay but a protest against the privileges the gay community enjoys."
What would those be exactly?

Frankfurt

Banned
I never bought the "I'm a minority, so I deserve a day/celebration/event and you don't" argument, so I think it's fine.

I am a minority, BTW.

Frankfurt said:
I never bought the "I'm a minority, so I deserve a day/celebration/event and you don't" argument, so I think it's fine.

I am a minority, BTW.
Nobody's really bullied or discriminated against for being heterosexual, so I think there is some logic for homosexuals to "own" it, if you will.

Kurdel

Banned
Frankfurt said:
For the LGBT community, it stems from the fact that it was taboo for so long. Now they can not only say "I am who I am", but proudly be out so the whole world can see.

This isn't a minority issue, it's coming out from oppresion issue.

sk3

Banned
In a recent report, the gay rights group Grupo Gay da Bahia said 260 gays were murdered last year in Brazil, up 113 percent from five years earlier.
This means nothing.

ty_hot

This deputy just created this law project because he is in the far right wing religious party... so that he can get more votes in the next elections...

The heterosexual pride day by itself seems like a grat idea, but the way he justify is just rediculous, I hope the mayor dont sign this shit.

Sapiens

So, a gay bashing day, essentially?

Fuck this shit.

I bet Mayor Ford loves the idea.

Do people not "get it?"

tiff

Banned
Oh come on.

Orayn

Waiting for some other city to instate a White Pride Day. Powerful majorities need to band together!

Dreams-Visions said:
We need a Pride Day?

Really?

Isn't that every day?
That's the same argument my parents used in response to me when I was a kid and argued that if there was a Mothers' Day and a Fathers' Day, then there should be a Children's Day, too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
cooljeanius said:
That's the same argument my parents used in response to me when I was a kid and argued that if there was a Mothers' Day and a Fathers' Day, then there should be a Children's Day, too.
I had that conversation with my parents. I got the same response.

Orayn said:
Waiting for some other city to instate a White Pride Day. Powerful majorities need to band together!

I don't really follow. If you assume everybody who would participate in such a day was doing so because they thought they were oppressed that might be one thing, but why couldn't I be proud to be white? It's not like we're light on social, philosophical, technological and cultural achievements to be proud of, not least because "white" encompasses dozens of highly distinct ethnic and cultural groups, some of which were in fact quite oppressed in our recent history.

I doubt I would participate in such an event, mainly because I find the idea of being proud of something you had no control over (your ethnicity, your sexuality, your nationality etc) to be a bit absurd, but I am struggling to get offended by the notion that others might.

Platy

pyros said:
Isn't this just another excuse to get drunk, naked, and have sex

Actualy ... while searching for an english source i found this :

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bl...bermouth+(Blabbermouth.net's+Daily+Headlines)

JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford — who revealed he was homosexual during a 1998 appearance on MTV — has slammed as "childish" the newly adopted legislation calling for a "Heterosexual Pride Day" to be celebrated on the third Sunday of each December in São Paulo, Brazil.

[...]

Speaking to Brazil's Globo from his hotel room in Barcelona, Halford was astonished to hear the news. "'Heterosexual Pride Day'? Like the 'Gay Pride Day'? I think ... well ... [silence] Brazil has always had a straight-pride parade — it's called the Carnival, right?"

He continued, "[Gays] are a minority which has been terribly oppressed over the years. We need to have a voice. Once we have the same rights as heterosexuals have, we may no longer need a gay parade. But it is a party, that's all. It is no different than going to a metal show where everybody gets together and celebrates."

Orayn

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I don't really follow. If you assume everybody who would participate in such a day was doing so because they thought they were oppressed that might be one thing, but why couldn't I be proud to be white? It's not like we're light on social, philosophical, technological and cultural achievements to be proud of, not least because "white" encompasses dozens of highly distinct ethnic and cultural groups, some of which were in fact quite oppressed in our recent history.

I doubt I would participate in such an event, mainly because I find the idea of being proud of something you had no control over (your ethnicity, your sexuality, your nationality etc) to be a bit absurd, but I am struggling to get offended by the notion that others might.
I'm just trying to poke fun at the "reverse discrimination" rhetoric that drives some people to support this kind of thing. It's a persecution complex, combined with patting yourself on the back, with a hint of conspiracy theory, and it's all ridiculous.

tiff

Banned
Orayn said:
Don't even joke. Do you know how bad straight kids have it in school!?

Salazar

ThoseDeafMutes said:

The gay pride marches are about solidarity at least as much as they are about pride.

This march isn't about pride; it's a stunt from bigots who feel threatened by gay people in their city who don't accept second-class status.

Dali

260 gay people murdered and it wasn't even on hetero day. I already foresee a spike brought on by drunks celebrating the occasion.

We need an "It Gets Better" video for straight people too. These pride parades just aren't enough. It was so hard the day I discovered I was straight. I thought my peers, my friends, and even my family would reject me if they knew. I hid my straightness for years, until one day I had to out myself. It does get better. After college a lot of the petty bullying fades. I can be a lot more open now about liking the opposite sex. I no longer feel like a freak.

Salazar said:
The gay pride marches are about solidarity at least as much as they are about pride.

This march isn't about pride; it's a stunt from bigots who feel threatened by gay people in their city who don't accept second-class status.
Exactly, this idea that Gay Pride is only just about pride is not seeing the forest for the trees.

this is as insipid and stupid of an idea as White History Month or something else retarded like that. I love the "I am not an homofobic, I have a gay hairdresser!"

yeah

yeah

that doesn't defend you at all. It's a paper shield against a crushing axe.

Platy

Insane Metal said:
WTF? What does Carnaval have to do with this?

(links because they might be a little nsfw)

Because this
http://i.imgur.com/p1M8e.jpg

is the Hetero version of this

http://i.imgur.com/7fCP7.jpg

wich only shows how "men centric" is our society .. wich make the International Men's Day a little bizarre if you take it as a pride day (wich it isn't)

edit :
Obsessed said:
We need an "It Gets Better" video for straight people too.

It will be called .... "It Gets The Same"

Orayn

tiff said:
Don't even joke. Do you know how bad straight kids have it in school!?
As a white male heterosexual, I'll never forget all the times I was called a "hetero," or a "breeder" by kids at school, on top of the daily barrage of "honkey" and "cracker," of course.
Oddly enough, everyone was fine with me being an atheist. That's kind of the way things were in the Bizarro World public school system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom