• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 currently running at 35 FPS on Xbox Series S says GSC Game World, still have 'room to optimize'

So when will we get another round of MS "we don't comment on deals made by other platform holders" followed by bloggers who are known to be paid by MS implying Sony has double secret PS5 exclusive but somehow no marketing deals?

Will this strategy even work on Xbox console exclusive titles? Let's find out!

Last edited:

XXL

Playstation is obviously paying to keep Stalker 2 at 25fps on Series S.
Tom Cruise Tropic Thunder GIF by Giffffr

Ozriel

M$FT
do you think "a few months" of unpaid exclusivity for the biggest game of the year is not a big deal?

126 days of unpaid exclusivity... over 4 months... most of the people who wanted baldur's gate 3 would have bought it on PC or PS5... all of this contributes to lower sales and to a narrative which is continuing now with Wukong.

Baldur’s Gate 3 on PS5 didn’t set the sales charts on fire, and people didn’t rush out to buy consoles for the game.
You keep talking about it being GOTY, but the xbox release was announced simultaneously with the award so…

It was excellent forum fodder. That’s pretty much it.

Anyone who isn't locked into the xbox ecosystem the question of buying an xbox now is baffling. We'll see if CoD can bring in new GamePass users, but I doubt it will. Most of my friends who play CoD only play CoD. I don't think it's that much of a draw.

Jim Carrey What GIF

Who asked you anything about Call of Duty, or it being a draw? What’s that got to do with the discussion?

Ozriel

M$FT
So when will we get another round of MS "we don't comment on deals made by other platform holders" followed by bloggers who are known to be paid by MS implying Sony has double secret PS5 exclusive but somehow no marketing deals?

Will this strategy even work on Xbox console exclusive titles? Let's find out!

…What has the pre-optimization performance on Series S got to do with exclusivity deals? 🤣

30fps is kinda the norm with Series S for quite a while. You guys are certainly jumping out the woodwork with weird takes today.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nov 20th? There is still time....
Michael B Jordan Black Guy GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

I mean, even the last 'one more thing' was a whole seasons worth of late but ok :p

September 9th "We are proud to announce the PS5 Pro, additionally it will have an exclusive launch of STALKER 2 as the other versions have been delayed for optimization :messenger_smirking:"

adamsapple

126 days of unpaid exclusivity... over 4 months...

• PlayStation 5 6 September 2023
  • Xbox Series X/S 7 December 2023

The math isn't mathing, chief.

200.gif

most of the people who wanted baldur's gate 3 would have bought it on PC or PS5

The game was on top of the Xbox paid apps for weeks. Doesn't look like it deterred the game from being a financial hit on Xbox.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Baldur’s Gate 3 on PS5 didn’t set the sales charts on fire, and people didn’t rush out to buy consoles for the game.
You keep talking about it being GOTY, but the xbox release was announced simultaneously with the award so…

It was excellent forum fodder. That’s pretty much it.

How many units did Baldur's Gate sell? How many did it sell on PS5? I'm guessing you don't know, because we've never seen splits.

Jim Carrey What GIF

Who asked you anything about Call of Duty, or it being a draw? What’s that got to do with the discussion?

Notice how I started a new paragraph... not everything has to be a response. I brought it up because many people claim that the Series S is a good machine for GamePass, but moving forward, it's unlikely to be seen as such if it doesn't get all the games or if the games are playing like garbage on the S. My point is that CoD won't change that and it's the only positive change happening for GamePass.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It’s about to be a holiday weekend for us champions of 1776. Let’s drop this, make fun of Concord some more and get some nasty sex from our wives that don’t mind us playing games.

many people claim that the Series S is a good machine for GamePass, but moving forward, it's unlikely to be seen as such if it doesn't get all the games or if the games are playing like garbage on the S. My point is that CoD won't change that and it's the only positive change happening for GamePass.

The only real use of Series S is retrogaming. It's a superb device for that task....

For current games it's not a good machine at all

Ozriel

M$FT
How many units did Baldur's Gate sell? How many did it sell on PS5? I'm guessing you don't know, because we've never seen splits.

Aside from the first month where it hit #2 for the EU and US PlayStation top downloads charts (heavily boosted by the fact it was an all digital release on PS5), it barely clung to the top 10 PS5 downloads charts for October and November in both territories.
The December GOTY award? Only managed to hit #7.

October and November, it sold worse than Alan Wake 2 in both regions. And AW2 sold poorly.

As per Statista, it failed to make the top 20 list for best selling PS games in North America for 2023.

i think it sold quite decently on PlayStation, but the heavy lifting for BG3 came mainly from PC.

Anecdotally, many of the folks crowing about the delay on Xbox didn’t seem to have played it either.

Notice how I started a new paragraph... not everything has to be a response. I brought it up because many people claim that the Series S is a good machine for GamePass, but moving forward, it's unlikely to be seen as such if it doesn't get all the games or if the games are playing like garbage on the S. My point is that CoD won't change that and it's the only positive change happening for GamePass.

Not everything has to be a response, but it’s baffling you’re bringing up an argument you’ve had with someone else.
People who bought the Series S wanted a cheap machine for games, and they’re probably perfectly fine with 30fps titles that still look good. All the games are still arriving on the console and I don’t recall anyone saying anything about CoD here. Seems like just random warz BS at this point.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't understand the rhetoric here. They say they got it running at 25fps with more room for improvement.

How is that a bad thing again? Does the series X version run at a base 60 fps?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Framerate should be the last concern when it comes to a new STALKER game. Man I hope this one isn't riddled with bugs, would love to play it shortly after it releases, instead of a few years later.

126 days of unpaid exclusivity... over 4 months... most of the people who wanted baldur's gate 3 would have bought it on PC or PS5... all of this contributes to lower sales and to a narrative which is continuing now with Wukong.

Anyone who isn't locked into the xbox ecosystem the question of buying an xbox now is baffling. We'll see if CoD can bring in new GamePass users, but I doubt it will. Most of my friends who play CoD only play CoD. I don't think it's that much of a draw.
But Wukong is?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Aside from the first month where it hit #2 for the EU and US PlayStation top downloads charts (heavily boosted by the fact it was an all digital release on PS5), it barely clung to the top 10 PS5 downloads charts for October and November in both territories.

October and November, it sold worse than Alan Wake 2 in both regions. And AW2 sold poorly.

As per Statista, it failed to make the top 20 list for best selling PS games in North America for 2023.

i think it sold quite decently on PlayStation, but the heavy lifting for BG3 came mainly from PC.

Anecdotally, many of the folks crowing about the delay on Xbox didn’t seem to have played it either.

So you're talking out of your ass... Got it.

PS it's still on the NA chart in November and December... hell it's still there through April...

Not everything has to be a response, but it’s baffling you’re bringing up an argument you’ve had with someone else.
People who bought the Series S wanted a cheap machine for games, and they’re probably perfectly fine with 30fps titles that still look good. All the games are still arriving on the console and I don’t recall anyone saying anything about CoD here. Seems like just random warz BS at this point.

You're a weird dude.

Perfectly fine with sub 30 fps games and sub 720p games? Come off it. Fine with missing out on games entirely? You're silly.

Again, I brought up CoD because of whether or not the Series S has value moving forward. People call it a GamePass machine. And I was pointing out that I don't think that works for the Series S moving forward. i.e. the device doesn't have value anymore. It's an anchor to the Xbox Series.

Skifi28

I love how when people try to deride the Series S they only have once example, BG3, which released successfully on the console anyway 🤭
They had to throw away the parity clause between S and X so I'm not sure I would call it succesful. That was actually quite big and opens the floodgates for Series S owners getting an inferior version in the future.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
So you're talking out of your ass... Got it.

Nah. I brought up hard data which you’re unable to deal with.

PS it's still on the NA chart in November and December... hell it's still there through April...

I pretty much said it’s in the charts for November and December
Here’s what I said:

it barely clung to the top 10 PS5 downloads charts for October and November in both territories.

I will not be held responsible for your comprehension struggles.

You're a weird dude.

Perfectly fine with sub 30 fps games and sub 720p games? Come off it. Fine with missing out on games entirely? You're silly.

Majority of games have their Series S versions scaled down to 1080p/30fps. Or even 1440p 30fps. Nobody who owns a Series S has ‘missed out’ on any game as a result of that SKU existing. Where are the sub 30fps games bedeviling the Series S, as you claim?

People who pay for cheaper hardware usually expect worse performance than on expensive hardware.

Now my primary game system is a very high end PC, I’m pretty sure I’m gaming at better visual settings and performance than you at the moment 😛

Again, I brought up CoD because of whether or not the Series S has value moving forward. People call it a GamePass machine. And I was pointing out that I don't think that works for the Series S moving forward. i.e. the device doesn't have value anymore. It's an anchor to the Xbox Series.

the dude your opinion GIF

Subjective. And I think that’s best left to Series S owners to say. As it is, any Series S owner with GamePass is able to play the COD beta right now, with no disadvantage compared to players on other consoles.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Nah. I brought up hard data which you’re unable to deal with.

I pretty much said it’s in the charts for November and December
Here’s what I said:

I will not be held responsible for your comprehension struggles.

You think Statistica is data?

You said the game barely hung on in December, yet it was on the charts through April... This is clownish

Majority of games have their Series S versions scaled down to 1080p/30fps. Or even 1440p 30fps. Nobody who owns a Series S has ‘missed out’ on any game as a result of that SKU existing. Where are the sub 30fps games bedeviling the Series S, as you claim?

People who pay for cheaper hardware usually expect worse performance than on expensive hardware.

Now my primary game system is a very high end PC, I’m pretty sure I’m gaming at better visual settings and performance than you at the moment 😛

the dude your opinion GIF

Subjective. And I think that’s best left to Series S owners to say. As it is, any Series S owner with GamePass is able to play the COD beta right now, with no disadvantage compared to players on other consoles.

Definitely clownish. You're an xbox fanboy who is in heavy stages of cope pretending to be a PC gamer. Certainly there are people who had their grandparents buy them a series s that won't know/care about how garbage a console it is or that it isn't getting wukong, but the reality is the narrative controls adoption of products and we're nearing an end of the xbox as a console. We know the devs of Phantom Blade Zero have no interest in Xbox. We know that retailers in Europe have no interest in stocking Xbox.

The series s has no appeal, the day that halo or the first ps5 pro Microsoft game significantly outperforms the xsx version, the brand is dead.

I'm sorry that hurts you, but it is reality.

Ozriel

M$FT
You think Statistica is data?

You said the game barely hung on in December, yet it was on the charts through April... This is clownish

I provided data covering September to December 2023…you know, the logical time period to look at when the original discussion was about the incidental exclusivity period for the game on PS5.
BG3 was released December 8 2023 on Xbox.

Why would I look for data up to April 2024?
This isn’t rocket science. Surely, something this basic shouldn’t be that hard to understand?

Definitely clownish. You're an xbox fanboy who is in heavy stages of cope pretending to be a PC gamer.

Does it grieve you this much that you’re playing games at worse settings and framerates than I can? 🤣

I built a 7800x3D + RTX 4080 desktop. Then picked up an RTX 4080 laptop as a backup for my frequent travels. I’m sorted.

Certainly there are people who had their grandparents buy them a series s that won't know/care about how garbage a console it is or that it isn't getting wukong, but the reality is the narrative controls adoption of products and we're nearing an end of the xbox as a console. We know the devs of Phantom Blade Zero have no interest in Xbox. We know that retailers in Europe have no interest in stocking Xbox.

The series s has no appeal, the day that halo or the first ps5 pro Microsoft game significantly outperforms the xsx version, the brand is dead.

I'm sorry that hurts you, but it is reality.

It does seem that the possible demise of the Xbox hardware seems to put you In a state of arousal 🤡

Again, I have no idea why you’re wailing unceasingly about the Series S. For those who picked it up as a cheap entry point to current gen games - albeit at lower than flagship settings - they don’t seem to be complaining.

Have you asked the mods to confirm you as an Insider yet, since you claim to know something GameScience hasn’t disclosed yet (no more Xbox port of Wukong)?

kevboard

I don't understand the rhetoric here. They say they got it running at 25fps with more room for improvement.

How is that a bad thing again? Does the series X version run at a base 60 fps?

I also feel like not a single person here ever had a PS3 or 360 by the way they see this as some unheard of issue. on those consoles finished games ran like this:

tearing cross the entire screen all the time with 20fps being a common enough that they probably should have gone full N64 and just lock it at 20 🤣

Last edited:

Beechos

If series s can run this next gen euro jank at 30fps those other devs that complain about it need to step up their game.

adamsapple

If series s can run this next gen euro jank at 30fps those other devs that complain about it need to step up their game.

Star Wars Outlaws runs pretty reasonably at 30 while retaining all of its RT features from the PS5/SX versions.

I think it's just a matter of budgeting and time.

simpatico

Gold Member
The Series S prevents developers from going too far with Series X and PS5 games. It's a good mooring point to reality.

Three

The game was on top of the Xbox paid apps for weeks. Doesn't look like it deterred the game from being a financial hit on Xbox.
Why would it stop it from being a top seller on xbox specifically? The point was that the sales would be low relative to PC and PS5. Not to other xbox game sales.

adamsapple

Why would it stop it from being a top seller on xbox specifically? The point was that the sales would be low relative to PC and PS5. Not to other xbox game sales.

Ignoring that the post was wrong about the 4 months / 126 days in the first place, the point is that people who wanted to play BG3 on Xbox, in-fact may not have gone out to get it on other systems. Hence the games success for numerous weeks on top of the paid apps. Enough so that the games marketing guys thought to point it out despite it having a late(r) release.

Three

Ignoring that the post was wrong about the 4 months / 126 days in the first place, the point is that people who wanted to play BG3 on Xbox, in-fact may not have gone out to get it on other systems. Hence the games success for numerous weeks on top of the paid apps. Enough so that the games marketing guys thought to point it out despite it having a late(r) release.
That's just your speculation though. It would have charted on xbox regardless even if people did in fact do that. The chart on xbox as a whole is just much lower numbers and xbox didn't exactly have a great set of top selling games releasing that weren't on gamepass, so it's safe to say it would have charted regardless, especially as a GOTY.

Last edited:

adamsapple

That's just your speculation though. It would have charted on xbox regardless even if people did in fact do that. The chart on xbox as a whole is just much lower numbers and xbox didn't exactly have a great set of top selling games releasing that weren't on gamepass, so it's safe to say it would have charted regardless, especially as a GOTY.

In the absence of actual numbers, everything is speculation. For all we know, it sold more on Xbox than PS5 🤷‍♀️

Three

In the absence of actual numbers, everything is speculation. For all we know, it sold more on Xbox than PS5 🤷‍♀️
Sure, but I'm just saying this xbox specific chart of yours shows nothing to dispute the claim that most sales were on PC/PS5 nearer launch than at the tail end, as is ordinary with most games and why timed exclusivity exists (even though this was not that). Add to that a crappy install base and missing features and you will see it's pretty far-fetched.

Last edited:

Three

Breaking news: Developers are still optimizing an unreleased game. Back to you Jim.
Developers optimising a delayed game that possibly ran at 25fps (or apparently 35fps) on Series S, with significant support from Xbox to enhance performance ahead of release.

I'd say that's pretty newsworthy since it provides specifics. It's not just "we optimise games during development"

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Developers optimising a delayed game that possibly ran at 25fps (or apparently 35fps) on Series S, with significant support from Xbox to enhance performance ahead of release.

I'd say that's pretty newsworthy since it provides specifics. It's not just "we optimise games during development"
"I'd say that's pretty newsworthy since it provides specifics"

I would disagree. I can't find any novel information that I would consider newsworthy. The fact that more than half of the conversations in the thread are not discussing this "pretty newsworthy" information, lends credence to such a perspective.

Edit: scanning thread again, I would say significantly more than half.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Assuming everyone owns every system of course.

Mr Moose

Probably would've reached 30 if it was 25 now by launch anyway, isn't optimization the last thing they do normally? When does this even release?

Loboxxx

Neo Member
According to an insider, Sony may have paid the developer to delay the exclusive as long as possible...

Top Bottom