• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber CEO: Space Marine 2 a response to "games that made him want to cry with their overblown attempts at messaging or imposing morals on gamers"

Bartski

Gold Member
“We just want to do some glory kills and get the heart rate up a little. For me that is what games should be about,” he concluded.

v0vOXi2.jpeg

https://www.dicesummit.org/dice_speakers/details.asp?idSpeaker=482

In a comment on a video of the Asmongold TV YouTube channel where Asmongold reacts to Legendary Drops’ “Space Marine 2 is a reminder of what we lost,” Karch made his opinion clear.

He wrote, “Hey man. CEO of Saber here. I love your videos. When we signed the deal to make Space Marine 2, all I wanted was a throwback game. We had the change to work on something which by its nature was ‘old school’.”
“I can’t even comprehend many of the current games that we play these days. They are too complex and too much of an investment,” he added.
Next, he shared that he was inspired by Halo, “We worked on Halo back in the day, and that game could be distilled down to the simplest of shooting loops, but it was entirely addicting. That is what we wanted to recapture.”

Space-Marine-2.png

Karch then shared his hope that Space Marine 2 and Black Myth: Wukong are the start of a revival in the video game industry to get back to fun and immersion.
He wrote, “I hope that games like Space Marine 2 and Wukong are the start of a reversion to a time when games were simply about fun and immersion.”

more:

but-wait-theres-more-gif-14.gif

The World is healing!!

SQFZerJ.png
SQFZerJ.png

Last edited:

simpatico

If we can confirm this post is really from him, I will buy SM2 today
I hope it proves to be a fake account. Last thing SM2 needs is to be caught in the middle of the culture wars. This is why we can’t have nice things.
BS. Someone needs to go first. I think they’ll get more support than you can imagine. We can’t even point to an example of it backfiring because no one has had the balls to try.

Roberts

Great, there is always room for a game like that. And I say that as someone who actually loves when games are political, personal or just about something in general, like all art should be. There is a big difference between a game that wants to say something that developers found important and a game that tries to shove its morals down our throats.

Last edited:

DJ12

He speaks only the truth, but he's about to get cancelled.

How dare he suggest gamers of all persuasions and beliefs want an escape not some side shaved purple haired they protagonist that less than 10% of the population can actually relate to.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love me some narrative heavy games that try to make me feel something. Spec Ops the Line is still to this day has the best depiction of PTSD ive ever seen in any medium. Red Dead 2 has the best protagonist of any game ever. TLOU1 absolutely devastated me by the end.

Just because TLOU2 failed to tell a good story on any level and GOW ragnorak was turned into a marvel movie doesnt mean there is no place for good storytelling in video games. There is a reason why we shifted from those basic ass mindless shooters to these story driven games. Simply having good combat isnt enough. there has to be more.

Wukong is my GOTY but they took a phenomenal story and completely butchered it. Its the biggest disappointment in the game for me. All the cool shit happens in anime flashbacks that honestly dont even make any sense in the context of the game. I had to watch youtube shorts to understand the story. Fuck that.

There has to be a balance between preachy storytelling and simply piss poor storytelling. You can have both great gameplay and great storytelling. MGS3, RDR2, TLOU1, Uncharted 2, mass Effect 2, All three Batman Arkham games, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman games, Titanfall 2, GOW 2018, GOW2 and GOW3, AC2, AC Brotherhood, Horizon ZD all did both and succeded. The last four years have sucked ass because ND, SSM, GG, Rocksteady, Ubisoft, Bioware have all dropped the ball with their latest games, but that doesnt mean we have to go back to the 50s and play basic ass games again. Fuck that. I dont play most nintendo games because im pushing 40. And im not going to play games made for dude bros because i aged out of that demographic 2 decades ago.

Bartski

Gold Member
I love me some narrative heavy games that try to make me feel something. Spec Ops the Line is still to this day has the best depiction of PTSD ive ever seen in any medium. Red Dead 2 has the best protagonist of any game ever. TLOU1 absolutely devastated me by the end.

Just because TLOU2 failed to tell a good story on any level and GOW ragnorak was turned into a marvel movie doesnt mean there is no place for good storytelling in video games. There is a reason why we shifted from those basic ass mindless shooters to these story driven games. Simply having good combat isnt enough. there has to be more.

Wukong is my GOTY but they took a phenomenal story and completely butchered it. Its the biggest disappointment in the game for me. All the cool shit happens in anime flashbacks that honestly dont even make any sense in the context of the game. I had to watch youtube shorts to understand the story. Fuck that.

There has to be a balance between preachy storytelling and simply piss poor storytelling. You can have both great gameplay and great storytelling. MGS3, RDR2, TLOU1, Uncharted 2, mass Effect 2, All three Batman Arkham games, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman games, Titanfall 2, GOW 2018, GOW2 and GOW3, AC2, AC Brotherhood, Horizon ZD all did both and succeded. The last four years have sucked ass because ND, SSM, GG, Rocksteady, Ubisoft, Bioware have all dropped the ball with their latest games, but that doesnt mean we have to go back to the 50s and play basic ass games again. Fuck that. I dont play most nintendo games because im pushing 40. And im not going to play games made for dude bros because i aged out of that demographic 2 decades ago.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Madflavor

Gold Member
Regarding...
“I hope that games like Space Marine 2 and Wukong are the start of a reversion to a time when games were simply about fun and immersion.”

2023 had an old school turn based RPG win GotY, and sold 15 million copies. 2024 had games like Stellar Blade, Space Marine 2, and Black Myth: Wukong find success, where games like Concord, Dustborn, Star Wars Outlaws have fallen on their face. So far it looks like DA: Veilguard and AC: Shadows are poised to underwhelm with sales. We're probably witnessing a turning point where AA games might make a comeback in a big way.

Considering how long it takes to make games, we probably won't see the change really take hold for a few years, but we'll still see them trickle in before that happens.

Generic

Regarding...

2023 had an old school turn based RPG win GotY, and sold 15 million copies. 2024 had games like Stellar Blade, Space Marine 2, and Black Myth: Wukong find success, where games like Concord, Dustborn, Star Wars Outlaws have fallen on their face. So far it looks like DA: Veilguard and AC: Shadows are poised to underwhelm with sales. We're probably witnessing a turning point where AA games might make a comeback in a big way.

Considering how long it takes to make games, we probably won't see the change really take hold for a few years, but we'll still see them trickle in before that happens.
Stellar Blade flopped. It only sold 1m of copies in 3 months.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

You do know Arnold and most of the cast in Predator were around 40 years old.

Rudius

I want to support those guys now. Please tell me: do I need to play the first game to understand the second one? Would it be of any benefit?

Top Bottom