• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber CEO: Space Marine 2 a response to "games that made him want to cry with their overblown attempts at messaging or imposing morals on gamers"

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I definitely prefer games that just focus on gameplay and not be bloated.

Wu Kong isn’t that but space marine 2 is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's cool but the game looks kinda generic.

vKpD7Mv.jpeg

MiguelItUp

Yeah, a lot of games are trying too hard to be something else these days. They really just need to focus on being fun and enjoyable.

Assuming this is real, it's cool to see. But it's also funny as I've seen people trying to say the game is "woke" as well, lmao. I never got it, but like I've said before, it's likely my woke barometer is broken as I feel immune to most of that. I just want to play good and fun games, I don't pay attention to anything else.

I'm still having issues with weird bugs in the game, but I hope they continue to improve optimization and the overall experience. Excited to see how it evolves throughout development. I mean, World War Z got a lot of love and only got better and better.

MacReady13

So any bets on when he will be making an apology on what he said? Cause this kind of language can not go undisciplined... especially not in the video game sector.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Stellar Blade flopped. It only sold 1m of copies in 3 months.

Okey dokey here we go:

• They never said it sold 1 million. The head of SHIFT Up said they don't have an exact figure, but they know it sold at least 1 million, and that was announced in June 25th, which was 2 months after release, not 3. (https://gamestalk.net/post-192947/)
  • Unless your name is Devil May Cry, 1 million is fairly standard for this particular genre. For comparison, it took Bayonetta 3, a series that's been around a lot longer than Stellar Blade and has a bigger following, just as long (potentially longer) to cross 1 million units. So for a brand new game in this genre, by an unproven studio making their first console game, 1 million in two months is really good.
  • SHIFT UP announced they're making a PC Port and DLC for Stellar Blade. Doesn't seem like the type a thing a studio would invest money in if their game "flopped".
  • A month after Stellar Blade released, SHIFT UP announced that Stellar Blade's sales were exceeding expectations.
  • On the off chance you want to bring up Black Myth: Wukong, that game was a special case. Journey to the West is often regarding as the most popular literary work in Asia, and that game was China making a big footfall in the single player console market. It's popularity and sales were immensely boosted by China.

Vyse

Gold Member
Regarding...

2023 had an old school turn based RPG win GotY, and sold 15 million copies. 2024 had games like Stellar Blade, Space Marine 2, and Black Myth: Wukong find success, where games like Concord, Dustborn, Star Wars Outlaws have fallen on their face. So far it looks like DA: Veilguard and AC: Shadows are poised to underwhelm with sales. We're probably witnessing a turning point where AA games might make a comeback in a big way.

Considering how long it takes to make games, we probably won't see the change really take hold for a few years, but we'll still see them trickle in before that happens.
I had mentioned this in another thread. Would think that developers and publishers would take a pause and try to reset based on all of these flops. Provided the game is fun and plays well, changing character models, minimizing GAAS, and tweaking dialogue should not be a major concern.

Give the people what they want. Plus many of these companies are publicly traded and have shareholders to answer to.

yogaflame

Stellar Blade flopped. It only sold 1m of copies in 3 months.
For a new IP and first time in console gaming, this is a big success and it's not even a multiplatform game. In just two months, as reported by Shift Up, it estimates that Stellar Blade sold over 1 million copies, generating $15.8 million in royalties. And to define "over 1 million", it implies that it is more than 1 Million.

Over a million is > 1,000,000

Under a million is < 1,000,000

And as per Shifts up, ""While sales have slowed, they are still “steady,” with Shift Up adding that the game “has established itself as a large global IP.”"

Last edited:

samoilaaa

I hope it proves to be a fake account. Last thing SM2 needs is to be caught in the middle of the culture wars. This is why we can’t have nice things.
not true , just look at kingdom come deliverance devs , journalists kept saying that their game lacks diversity and needs people of color and the devs said "FUCK YOU , were making kingdom come deliverance 2 the way we want " and its getting way more support than the first game

GymWolf

Gold Member
You hit the nail in the head there.

In addition they made Kratos too soft. He should feel deep regret and shame for what he did in Greece, but still mantaining the spartan composture. The 2018 game did that well, but Ragnarok was a disappointment for me.
But the rest of the game was better then 2018 for like every other aspect except pace and writing?!

combat was better and more varied
way better enemy variety and boss variety
better builds possibilities
better location variety
better sidequest
a new weapon that was cool as hell, both thematically and mechanically.
even a great dlc

I still prefer ragnarock kratos over the completely one dimensional costantly angry kratos from the previous games before 2018 but i prefer the writing of 2018 over ragnarock, you call him soft but he still solve 95% of the problems by beating the shit out of everything and he doesn't become a forgiving dad until the end, he constantly try to be a dictator with little shit, they constantly fight for the whole game.

Last edited:

Killer8

This sounds like a great way to get blacklisted from a notoriously progressive leaning industry. I'd love for it to be a sign of the pendulum swinging back in the direction of sanity (any day now...), but I think that will take another few years. This is too early.

A lot of the DEI stuff went into overdrive because ESG funding increased rapidly during the Summer of Love 2020. Now that some of that shit has been through the development wringer and bombed harder than Hiroshima, the funding for that sort of thing will no doubt start to dry up.

Sanity's re-introduction should be a natural one, responding to what the market wants with plain old capitalism - not posturing in some Youtuber's comment section.

ReBurn

Gold Member
A CEO using "addicting", instead of the correct "addictive", sounds fake, especially since he is supposed to have a "Juris Doctor from University of Pennsylvania".
Addictive is an adjective. Addicting is a verb. In the context of "it was entirely addicting" he's probably using addicting correctly if his intent was to say "the act of playing the game was causing players to become addicted" instead of just generalizing the nature of the gameplay, in which describing it as "addictive" would be appropriate.

In the context of "it was entirely addicting" he's probably using addicting correctly
No, it's never correct unless there's a direct subject, "it was addicting me/my coworkers" would be correct, but not just by itself, in that case it has to be "it was addictive".
Using addicting when actually meaning addictive is just a gross Americanism anyway, so maybe this juris doctor from pennsylvania doesn't know any better. 🤷‍♂️

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So it ends up that just doing the game you want to do without the white noise of DEI and SBI can result in success?

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Bry0

I don’t know much of anything about 40k but I got this game because I saw gameplay of a giant armored space marine cutting a horde of aliens into piece with a chainsaw sword.

This game is dope. If you miss the glory days of like, gears 1 style games you’ll probably dig this. It’s just a fun cool game with a lot of cool modes and a really incredibly done dark gritty atmosphere. Really awesome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, it is probably the best shooter of the year gameplay wise.
The gunplay is easily among the best in the business, nerfed weapons or not.
They're rebuffing so many for next week, which makes me think they're gearing up for the third more difficult faction soon.

I had a blast with Space Marine. I am very interested now in the universe of Warhammer. Before this game I didn't knew anything about Warhammer.

Okey dokey here we go:

• They never said it sold 1 million. The head of SHIFT Up said they don't have an exact figure, but they know it sold at least 1 million, and that was announced in June 25th, which was 2 months after release, not 3. (https://gamestalk.net/post-192947/)
  • Unless your name is Devil May Cry, 1 million is fairly standard for this particular genre. For comparison, it took Bayonetta 3, a series that's been around a lot longer than Stellar Blade and has a bigger following, just as long (potentially longer) to cross 1 million units. So for a brand new game in this genre, by an unproven studio making their first console game, 1 million in two months is really good.
  • SHIFT UP announced they're making a PC Port and DLC for Stellar Blade. Doesn't seem like the type a thing a studio would invest money in if their game "flopped".
  • A month after Stellar Blade released, SHIFT UP announced that Stellar Blade's sales were exceeding expectations.
  • On the off chance you want to bring up Black Myth: Wukong, that game was a special case. Journey to the West is often regarding as the most popular literary work in Asia, and that game was China making a big footfall in the single player console market. It's popularity and sales were immensely boosted by China.
Stellar Blade is also going to be in the first DLC drop for Astro Bot

People tend to forget Soulslikes aren't big sellers if they aren't made be by From Software. Wukong is quite literally the only exception to that rule after nearly 2 decades

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Okey dokey here we go:

dave chappelle ko GIF

Top Bottom