• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber CEO: Space Marine 2 a response to "games that made him want to cry with their overblown attempts at messaging or imposing morals on gamers"

Toots

Gold Member
Wukong is my GOTY but they took a phenomenal story and completely butchered it. Its the biggest disappointment in the game for me. All the cool shit happens in anime flashbacks that honestly dont even make any sense in the context of the game. I had to watch youtube shorts to understand the story. Fuck that.
If you go in totally blind it might not make much sense, except if you take the time to read the creatures entries of the encyclopaedia. If you read every creatures entry for one chapter you'll understand their story and how they are linked to each other and Wukong.
But the game story isn't about the journey to the west myth (it strays very far from the original at times), it's a journey about freedom and legacy.
Even not knowing the original characters, you must be able to understand you are retracing the steps of a legend who changed things for everyone around them, but still the game is about what is not what was.

Saying Wukong story is about what factually happened after Journey to the west is like saying For whom the bell tolls is a story about some dude blowing up a bridge. True but missing the essential.

Wukong is my GOTY for its presentation, gameplay and story, not because i knew journey to the west, because
it was the first time a game made me feel like taking Sun Wukong mantle after him meant something important for me and the characters that accompanied me on the journey. It made me think about what truly makes a hero, and what is a legacy. Im wondering what the people responsible for the story will do next, but i think it will be stellar.

Last edited:
Its much less about teams and much more what Kremlin and its pawns aka citizens are doing, but that would be politics, thus not allowed in here

Unless you have evidences of those people being agents of the FSB, your comment is very unfortunate, to say the least.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Kotaku caught word...:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Saved ya the clicks

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh it’s so beautiful. Seeing all the legacy activist gaming media crying helplessly when they realize that the vast majority of gamers hate them and their abhorrent worldview, and they won’t be intimidated into compliance anymore.

With Kotaku promoting the game like this, it might really blow up in sales even more.
For sure. I think the CEOs comment really resonated with gamers and nicely summed up what everyone likes about this game. If I didn’t own the game already, that comment definitely would’ve piqued my interest.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope it proves to be a fake account. Last thing SM2 needs is to be caught in the middle of the culture wars. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Too late for that. The comments are out and the game is part of the divide.

Here are some of the comments from Eurogamer.

jZ5eP5y.png

GC_DALBEN

This game is a lot of fun!!! The CEO didnt say anything wrong, ppl that are mad at this arent the target for this game, just go play the game and have fun (is GREAT in coop too!)

Kacho

Yea lol. There's a reason why some companies and gaming sites are scared of influencers these days. That and IGN are continuing their awful takes and moving further into irrelevancy.

Wouldn't surprise me if they end up like the next Kotaku within several years; going the way they are.
They should be. How do they cope with giant influencers like Asmon shining a spotlight on everything shitty they do? They can't control the message like they used to and it's changed the online meta.

simpatico

IGN used to be the tip of the bullying spear. Devs no longer need IGN to promote their games and it seems to be taking a while for IGN to realize the new position they find themselves in. Just a dinosaur that hasn’t died yet. All the full time salaried people working there will have a very hard time finding new work. No one wants to hire from the games industry. Has a certain stigma. I imagine most of their writers will end up waiting tables at Outback or Chilis. If you see one at your next visit, make sure you run them around for a while. Just for kicks. They deserve much worse, after all.

Zathalus

We've already got female representation with Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle).
So? As mentioned there is absolutely nothing that prevents a girl being offered up for the Custodes process, as you would end up with the same result, a 9 foot tall demi-god. Most factions within the Imperium have both genders but Space Marines specifically cannot have females in it due to the gene-seed requirement. Custodes are quite different as each are individually handcrafted and have no such restrictions. There are still the dozens upon dozens unique Space Marine chapters that are men only.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What’s wrong with a female Custodes? Nothing in the lore prevents a girl from becoming a Custodes. They’re not Space Marines.

From the Codex: Adeptus Custodes (8th Edition), page 14:

It is known that all Custodians begin their lives as the infant sons of the noble houses of Terra. It is a mark of incredible prestige to surrender one's child to this most glorious of callings within the Imperium, and many notable clans amongst the Terran aristocracy have willingly given up almost entire generations of newborn sons to earn it.

They blatantly retconned existing lore purely to score DEI points.

Zathalus

They’ve blatantly retconned the lore far worse in the past, I’m unsure why this is a problem now? The changes they have made to Necrons and the Emperor himself change the setting in a far more dramatic way. Not to mention the recent changes with the Votann. But even the snippet you posted doesn’t say the process is not possible for a girl to go through, or that it is lethal to them, as the Space Marine lore does.

It doesn't really say custodes are incapable of being female though, especially since the rest of the codex also says:
A Space Marine is created by the introduction of gene-seed to the body, as well as the implantation of supporting organs. Between them, these modifications reshape those who receive them into living weapons. By comparison, whatever mysterious bio-alchemy is used to trigger the transformation into a Custodian occurs on an entirely deeper level, taking root in the cells, perhaps even the soul, of an aspirant.
Since it seems custodes are nearly rebuilt from a cellular level, there doesn't seem to be any physical property that stops it from working on a female, at least nothing that has been documented, unlike with astartes.

hinch7

They’ve blatantly retconned the lore far worse in the past, I’m unsure why this is a problem now? The changes they have made to Necrons and the Emperor himself change the setting in a far more dramatic way. Not to mention the recent changes with the Votann. But even the snippet you posted doesn’t say the process is not possible for a girl to go through, or that it is lethal to them, as the Space Marine lore does.
Not being funny but aren't Custodians meant to the elite and very peak of the Imperium. If there are no female space marines because biology and all that it makes 0 sense that there are just female Custodies. I know its a fantasy but this is stupid AF.

Zathalus

Not being funny but aren't Custodians meant to the elite and very peak of the Imperium. If there are no female space marines because biology and all that it makes 0 sense that there are just female Custodies. I know its a fantasy but this is stupid AF.
There are no female Space Marines because the gene-seed is incompatible with them and kills any who try.

The Custodes don’t rely on the gene-seed, the process that makes them is unique to each individual and is applied to children and remakes the body entirely. Something as mundane as testosterone is not going to matter at all to a being capable of bench pressing a tank.

They should be. How do they cope with giant influencers like Asmon shining a spotlight on everything shitty they do? They can't control the message like they used to and it's changed the online meta.
I'm not into YTers and all that shit but it is absolutely funny to see these sites get roasted every time they post yet another dumb article. Like anyone talking shit unchallenged, they deserve it in whatever format it arrives in.

hinch7

There are no female Space Marines because the gene-seed is incompatible with them and kills any who try.

The Custodes don’t rely on the gene-seed, the process that makes them is unique to each individual and is applied to children and remakes the body entirely. Something as mundane as testosterone is not going to matter at all to a being capable of bench pressing a tank.
Idk even so, it makes no sense biologically speaking. Even if we talk about a complete bio-engineering to create the peak of human or superhuman evolution; they'd be males or might as well be considered one. Not that I'm invested in the lore or care, it just seems so dumb to retcon something like that. And we all know why it was done.

Just bad timing to announce something like that when there's a huge WH player base who do care for it. I used to collect it years ago but didn't delve into the stories.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Idk even without all that it makes no sense biologically speaking. Even if we talk about a complete bio-engineering to create the peak of human or superhuman evolution they'd be males or might as well be considered one. Not that I'm invested in the lore of care, it just seems so dumb to retcon something like that.
They are almost all certainly ripped under the armour, and make Space Marines look small. But physics go out the window when you get to the level of a Custodes and beyond. They certainly are not powered by biology as regular science understands the term. Its basically space magic.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Idk even so, it makes no sense biologically speaking. Even if we talk about a complete bio-engineering to create the peak of human or superhuman evolution; they'd be males or might as well be considered one. Not that I'm invested in the lore or care, it just seems so dumb to retcon something like that. And we all know why it was done.

Just bad timing to announce something like that when there's a huge WH player base who do care for it. I used to collect it years ago but didn't delve into the stories.

If you’re not invested in the lore… maybe stop commenting on it.

Yes, female custodes have been introduced for the sake of diversity, but nothing about them breaks the lore. It’s fine. The Tithes does a very good job of showing what is right in the lore: female custodes are no different from their male counterparts.

PeteBull

Holy shit, I'm so tired of culture wars in general, and in gaming in particular. My once beautiful hobby is now a battlefield for two sides I hate almost equally depending on how extreme they get.
Just stay strong bro, all the wokeness gonna make more and more games bomb, latest by end of next gen we will be back to normal and sane takes, w/o any politics or agenda in videogames, it takes time and massive losses of cash till publishers learn but they learn eventually.
Look at share price of ubisoft for example, if their next AC doenst have amazing sales numbers they gonna get fked =D

Sephimoth

Before I looked at the IGN article I knew in my head it'd be by one of the two (or three?) main activist writers there.
I was correct.

Last edited:

hinch7

If you’re not invested in the lore… maybe stop commenting on it.

Yes, female custodes have been introduced for the sake of diversity, but nothing about them breaks the lore. It’s fine. The Tithes does a very good job of showing what is right in the lore: female custodes are no different from their male counterparts.
I can comment and talk about my interests, thank you. And yes it is. Just an observation from someone who isn't THAT invested in it but enjoy the franchise.

FunkMiller

I can comment and talk about my interests, thank you. And yes it is. Just an observation from someone who isn't THAT invested in it but enjoy the franchise.

Fine. But you whining about how it sounds wrong for females to become custodes sounds very stupid if you do know the way the lore functions around their creation.

Top Bottom