• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

The only real connection I see is that Naoko Takeuchi is a Pisces and based Neptune after that Astrology sign. I don't know much about her, so it's not for me to say which character is mostly a stand-in for her.

Some Sailor Moon-related news:

Linda Ballantyne, Katie Griffin, Susan Roman, Toby Proctor, Ron Rubin and John Stocker to appear at Wonderland Anime Festival in Winnipeg this weekend

A live concert to celebrate the Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary Memorial Tribute Album will be held February 27th

Also:

mbHIqgB.jpg

T-shirt/hoodie/etcetera on sale for the next 24 or so hours. There's also a Chun-Li Powerpuff-style one, too!

I'm too poor/cheap to buy any, of course. :(

I wanted to get one of the Hot Topic shirts, but they always only had the women's shirts. :/

There are a few men's/unisex shirts I've been wanting to get on Amazon for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
Okay so I am delving into I guess you can call it "The sailor moon mythos" today since I'll watch the anime for the first time. I'll get to the manga and the live action series later.

I'll write about what I think here :)

MikeMyers

Stars is actually my least favourite season. I love the Nelehenia arc in the beginning, and the Galaxia fight towards the end but its the stuff in-between that bothers me*. I know its popular arc among fans so I look forward to see the reviews for the rest of the season.

*There are a few gems though, like when everyone shows up at Usagi's house.

That blog...is kinda giving a headache. Heh.

I want to rewatch Stars. Gotta finish SuperS again, though...which I was watching dubbed. I forgot where I stopped.

cj_iwakura

Stars is actually my least favourite season. I love the Nelehenia arc in the beginning, and the Galaxia fight towards the end but its the stuff in-between that bothers me*. I know its popular arc among fans so I look forward to see the reviews for the rest of the season.

*There are a few gems though, like when everyone shows up at Usagi's house.

Stars is gem upon gem upon gem then SERIOUS EFFING BUSINESS. I love it so much.

Iron Mouse > Aluminum Siren > Lead Crow > Generic Youma > Tin Cat (Die in a fire).

MikeMyers

I generally rewatch PGSM every year. I might watch R and S again this year if I get ahold of them.

Edit: Those Stars villains are actually my least favourite. Witches 5 are best.

cj_iwakura

I generally rewatch PGSM every year. I might watch R and S again this year if I get ahold of them.

Edit: Those Stars villains are actually my least favourite. Witches 5 are best.

Agreed. But Iron Mouse is the only villain in SM history to leave during a speech. She ain't got time for that.

MikeMyers

I also really dislike the other two Starlights (Saint Seiya is tolerable though). I was happy when Haruka starting feuding with those asses.

Apparently it was through Haruka's VA that Naoko Takeuchi met her husband.

Cheerilee

Keyofnik has started her Stars review

I always enjoy reading her stuff.

I just clicked on that link and I was like "Jet Wolf? Jet Wolf? ... I know that name. I'm certain I know that name."

I had a guess, so I googled and found out she was a really prominent figure in alt.fan.sailor-moon. I don't think I ever really talked to her (I was a bit of a late arrival), but she was legendary enough so that even someone like me couldn't help but know her name.

I'm feeling a warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling like I haven't felt in years. I'm so glad that Sailor Moon is "on" again.

cj_iwakura

I just clicked on that link and I was like "Jet Wolf? Jet Wolf? ... I know that name. I'm certain I know that name."

I had a guess, so I googled and found out she was a really prominent figure in alt.fan.sailor-moon. I don't think I ever really talked to her (I was a bit of a late arrival), but she was legendary enough so that even someone like me couldn't help but know her name.

I'm feeling a warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feeling like I haven't felt in years. I'm so glad that Sailor Moon is "on" again.

I think I might have posted there too, but I didn't have this name back then. Anyone who frequented AOL's Sailor Moon rooms probably ran into me, I'll say that much.

Pluto

Okay so I am delving into I guess you can call it "The sailor moon mythos" today since I'll watch the anime for the first time. I'll get to the manga and the live action series later.

I'll write about what I think here :)
Awesome, I love reading first time viewers opinions. Do you watch the show subbed or dubbed?

Conan-san

More Sailor Moon Kai staff announced:

Character Deisgner:
Yukie Sako (chief animation director on Majestic Prince and Nyan Koi!)

Composer:
Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippūden, Fairy Tail, Precure franchise)

Art Directors Directors:
Takashi Kurahashi (Mononoke, Gatchaman Crowds, Hakaba Kitarō)
Yumi Hosaka (Mononoke, Gatchaman Crowds).

Suspect eye is on this one, they do to SM what Crowds did to Gatchaman then I'ma smack Japan's collective bitch up.

Syrinx

hosannainexcelsis in the anime thread said that the two art direction guys also worked on Kyousougiga and Tsuritama. Haven't watched those shows, but they're pretty well regarded in those parts. Take that for what you will.

Edit; The post, for posterity.

Conan-san

If it's Usagi and Crew done simmilary to JoJo's (maybe not onomatopoeia but you know given the style of the two involved, that suggests a similar bent then I'm excite.

I need the Crowds elephant gone from th' room before I can get hype though.

MikeMyers

Yup, that's her. She even has her old school AMV's on the internet.

I think I might have posted there too, but I didn't have this name back then. Anyone who frequented AOL's Sailor Moon rooms probably ran into me, I'll say that much.

Wow, I only got into online SM fandom in 2011. I don't even think I knew what AOL was when I saw the Ali & En arc dubbed on TV all those years ago.

Wish crunchy roll or netflix had all of it, I'd be up for some marathons :D

All I want is a Bluray release.....in 4:3!

Awesome, I love reading first time viewers opinions. Do you watch the show subbed or dubbed?

Without trying to sound elitist, I feel like everyone should start with the sub. Not that I'm some anti-dub dude, but the SM dub just makes so many altercations its really more of its own thing than a dub. Kind of like how the anime is its own thing to the manga.

Subbed of course, I don't like anime dubs or dubs in general.

I like some dubs, but the SM dub is awful in my opinion. That being said, I wont begrudge anyone who likes it.

Heh, Sailor Moon Kai.

hosannainexcelsis in the anime thread said that the two art direction guys also worked on Kyousougiga and Tsuritama. Haven't watched those shows, but they're pretty well regarded in those parts. Take that for what you will.

Edit; The post, for posterity.

Seems like they don't speak highly of the composer.

I wonder if that character designer has any work we can look at for design reference...

So much PreCure staff.

I have no idea what to say to this, but I quoted everyone else and didn't want you to feel left out.

cj_iwakura

This tumblr keeps delivering on so many levels. Hilarity and deep interpretation of the littlest things. I'll never look at Stars the same way again.

tumblr_inline_n1qfwrvYvB1r6uc34.png

SERIOUSLY

HOW FUCKING MUCH GROWING IS HAPPENING HERE

ARE YOU GUYS BREAKING OUT ELECTRON MICROSCOPES OR SOMETHING

MikeMyers

I kinda want to watch that early Stars arc, just for Hotaru.

By the way TheBatman, you know Hotaru has the same voice actor as Videl and Pan right?

MikeMyers

Heh, I'd like to see Chibiusa and the Amazon Quartet team up in the new anime.

Well cj you should send me your old avatar so I can save it. Was a classic.

I still want to cosplay as Tuxedo Mask some day. Been meaning to do it for a few years now, but I'm too cheap to do it...and I barely leave the house nowadays, so there's that, too.

I haven't been to a convention or gone out for Halloween since before I wanted to be Tuxedo Mask.

I did dress up as Link for Halloween years ago, though. My wig was kinda bad...

Oh, nice cosplay. I wrote this before that was there. Hah. You should have tucked that shirt in better, though!

Top Bottom