• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Precure is an iterative show. That is, most new series are brand new continuities with different staffs that all retain a selection of key elements that make them similar to each other. It's not like Sailor Moon or Ojamajo Doremi where one arc leads into the other with largely the same staff throughout. Basically Toei finally got what it wanted and has a show where it can freely ditch its audience every year and not worry about who has moved on or not. Worries about losing the original audience to age was what made Toei demand certain adjustments for Supers.

So the current series, Happiness Charge Precure is entirely separate from any other Precure show. It does, however, share the same director as Heartcatch Precure so while the character designers are different some other things are more similar than with other Precure shows.

Not as familiar with those shows, but I would presume so.

Yeah, it sounds like the same kind of deal. A few mechanical/thematic similarities across the franchise but all new casts/stories/designs/motifs/creative teams each year (though there tends to be a lot of reuse and moving of talent between SS and KR in terms of producers, action directors, writers, etc.). Just SS and KR are live action and made to shill toys to boys.

The original Precure is done by the director of the Dragon Ball anime.

You might appreciate that fact Mr. DBZ.

I don't really follow anime directors much (as far as I really get in terms of knowing anime creators beyond the studio level is Tomino of Gundam and Kawamori of Macross), but that's interesting. Might have to check it out some time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, it sounds like the same kind of deal. A few mechanical/thematic similarities across the franchise but all new casts/stories/designs/creative teams each year (though there tends to be a lot of reuse and moving of talent between SS and KR in terms of action directors, writers, etc.).
Yeah, Toei has a set quantity of resident staff to work with. There's a lot of carryover between various Toei titles.

I don't really follow anime directors (as far as I really get in terms of knowing anime creators beyond the studio level is Tomino of Gundam and Kawamori of Macross), but that's interesting. Might have to check it out some time.
Direction is a highly informative avenue to pay attention to, but keep in mind that just because somebody tends to do great work doesn't mean that everything will be. Different productions also differ in how much influence each role has. Sometimes it's the person doing the storyboard who has the most influence. Sometimes a series director will leave a profound influence despite not directing or storyboarding a single episode. AnimeNewsNetwork has an imdb-like database that's usually helpful for this stuff. Sometimes it's incomplete or simply wrong, though.

For reference, Sailor Moon was produced when Toei was big on episode directors doing their own storyboarding. Even though the three series directors set the overall tone and influenced the planning during their respective tenures, individual episode quality was HIGHLY dependent on who was episode director for it.

MikeMyers

Well I don't watch many anime series so I haven't paid as much attention to directors.. Although being a film major I do know I should be paying way more attention to the staff.

Episode 55:
tumblr_md38qkC9xY1ro8ba4o1_250.gif
tumblr_md38qkC9xY1ro8ba4o2_250.png
tumblr_md38qkC9xY1ro8ba4o3_250.png
tumblr_md38qkC9xY1ro8ba4o4_250.gif

tumblr_md3ar7u11x1ro8ba4o4_250.png
tumblr_md3ar7u11x1ro8ba4o6_250.png
tumblr_md3ar7u11x1ro8ba4o1_250.png
tumblr_md3ar7u11x1ro8ba4o2_250.png

Makoto develops a crush on En, but his sister Ali is getting pretty damn jealous about the situation. Love how when Ami falls her shoe falls off and lands on her head, and later how adorable she is when she's eating that sandwich. Also, is this the only time we see Jupiter use her Dragon Attack?

By the way, when I get to the Chibiusa stuff I'm going to keep track on what episodes focus on what characters. Should be interesting. Will save Precure Episode 2 for tomorrow as I'm going bed now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, those scenes are examples of a level of comic expressiveness that's actually not common for anime. When it comes to per-episode antics, the show's visual language flaunts its prowess in it.

Exactly one week left until the Sailor Moon press event. They should be revealing the cast of the new anime and the new musical and their staff...at least, I think that's what it says.

And here's a new Sailor Uranus t-shirt: Men's, Women's

And a new women's Chibi Moon t-shirt.

And here's some gif I made of the famous Pikmin Link (Li Kovacs) as Super Sailor Jupiter because...why not?

Anyway, I should finish rewatching Sailor Stars. I keep getting distracted by other stuff (mainly video games, the internet, and watching Jem on Netflix). I only have 6 or 7 episodes left to rewatch. Afterwards, I'll hopefully start watching Urasei Yatsura again, and I might also look into PreCure...and maybe JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, since my friends keep telling me to watch it. I liked the fighting games, so might get around to that soon.

I should buy a Sailor Moon t-shirt already. I keep posting about them, but I haven't actually bought one myself! I've had a few sitting in my Amazon cart for a while, though...

Anyway, Usagi always faces the most horrifying dilemmas:

ibth33BkW2WsYA.gif

MikeMyers

jbxn1dja7vR835.jpg

That's me wearing an Inner Senshi T-Shirt from about three years ago.

Happiness Charge Precure! 2

Queen Mirage doesn't like love? Looks like we found our Naraku. Antagonists are entertaining so far, looking forward to hopefully seeing more backstory on them.

Pluto

That's a nice shirt, I like it better than some of the newer ones.

Only one week until they reveal the cast and other infer about the new anime? That's awesome, I didn't expect it so soon.

With all this talk about Pretty Cure, did anyone watch Wedding Peach? It was another 90s magical girl anime, one season and a 4 part OVA, I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember liking it although the characters were never as memorable as Sailor Moon's.
What I remember the most is the finale, I liked the way they beat the main villain.

MikeMyers

Didn't see Wedding Peach but have heard of it. Hoping to get the old cast back for the new anime, or at the very least just Furuya.

Starting Episode 56 in the R watch, my favourite episode. It's the one with the Snow White play.

MikeMyers

Wait, apparently Kappei Yamaguchi voices Artemis in PGSM? How did I not realize this?

Episode 56:
tumblr_md5734qn4y1ro8ba4o3_250.png
tumblr_md5734qn4y1ro8ba4o5_250.png

Yup, it's the talent episode! I liked the scenario here that Mamoru gathered them for a play on Snow White.

Personally though, my favourite line is this:

tumblr_mqxw03DcyX1ro8ba4o1_500.png

I've always wondered how she manages to run in those high heels, mad props to her just for that.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 57

Usagi and En get stuck in detention together and the latter keeps trying to steal the formers energy. Meanwhile Ali releases a cardian that not even he can tame.

To be honest, while this episode wasn't bad, nothing really stood out in it. The only notable thing is this:

tumblr_md8kqhC5Jm1ro8ba4o1_500.png

That's meant to be a reference to Minako's British boyfriend from Episode 42 of Classic right? Also, is it me or did Usagi seem more naive than usual here? Like, I haven't had energy drained from me before, but I think I'd be able to realize it.

Will get around to watching more of this and Precure probably when I finish all my exams by Thursday.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon R 57

Usagi and En get stuck in detention together and the latter keeps trying to steal the formers energy. Meanwhile Ali releases a cardian that not even he can tame.

To be honest, while this episode wasn't bad, nothing really stood out in it.
The back and forth between Usagi and Ann as well as Ail failing make it a funny episode.

MikeMyers

Is it Ann or En? I always put En because, Ali + En = Alien.

And it was an entertaining episode, but it kind of falls short compared to 56. Although, to be fair, I'm completely biased as 56 is my favourite episode in the entire anime.

Pluto

I don't think the spelling matters, it pronounced the same way but personally I prefer Ann, it makes the pun less obvious.

They were called Ail and Anne in the german dub, I don't think I'll ever get these variations out of my mind just like I'll think of Usagi as Bunny.

MikeMyers

Episode 58

tumblr_md9fe2eLc11ro8ba4o1_500.png

"Yeah fuck you Jadiete"

Almost at the finale. Usagi goes into Ali & En's house and encounters The Doom Tree. Glad Pochantus never met this tree.

tumblr_md9fa1ry5m1ro8ba4o1_500.png
tumblr_md9flvFabH1ro8ba4o1_500.png

I like how in this arc they are self-aware of Naru's "butt-monkey" status. Poor Naru, always getting attacked! Do Naru and Umino show up in Stars? I don't recall, but that is the one I've seen least.

Off to watch Precure Ep3, then go bed.

Pluto

Do Naru and Umino show up in Stars?
No, I think the only recurring character who shows up there is Ikuko, everyone else is just gone.
Motoki and Unazuki might have shown up, I'm not sure, but I think they made their last appearances in SuperS too.

cj_iwakura

No, I think the only recurring character who shows up there is Ikuko, everyone else is just gone.
Motoki and Unazuki might have shown up, I'm not sure, but I think they made their last appearances in SuperS too.

Naru and Umino's last appearance was in Ami's First Love.

MikeMyers

Don't think Yuchiro was in it either. What's with all these side characters getting shafted?

Oh, it seems I forgot to post my thoughts on Precure.

Precure 3
Really entertaining episode! So we get the debut of Seiji, who is totally OTP with Megumi aha. Speaking of which, it seems established that the Precures cannot fall in love, which means they probably will. My favourite scene is when Megumi just came out in her pajamas. She should probably come to Los Angeles, where everyone I know seems to be okay going out in their pajamas.

MikeMyers

Precure 4
Oh hey, KirbYuuYuu is in this episode! Seeing Hime so enthusiastic over getting new friends makes me wonder if they'll do a scenario where she gets a Facebook. Glad to see that she's getting more assertive in battle. Also, her social anxiety is interesting trait, wonder how that will play out in later episodes. One more thing, is it me or are the transformation scenes in this show really long?

Episode 60
tumblr_mdaprnUe301ro8ba4o8_r1_400.gif

"Useless, useless, useless, useless" What is this the DBZ fandom shaming the humans?

Overall I really enjoyed this arc, there were fun scenarios and Ali & En were entertaining villains. However the final battle felt lacking. There was a lot of tension going on but then it just turned into the Doom Tree giving a big exposition dump and then Usagi healing her. Tomorrow the Chibiusa stuff starts, and I'll be keeping track on screentime that the Senshi get.

Also, where is this from?
tumblr_n412q6QVfg1tprgfdo1_500.gif

tumblr_n412q6QVfg1tprgfdo2_500.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Precure 4
One more thing, is it me or are the transformation scenes in this show really long?
Having the introductory pose attached to the transformation is a Precure thing. All of them do it. Also, HapCha stock is shorter and snappier than other Precure stock. So yes, they are long, but they are normally even longer!

Not to mention not all of them really do well in terms of transformation choreography. For example, a bunch exhibit what I like to call "drunken camera" where pans are made as a process of variant directions and rates and it kills the impact of each step. HapCha avoids this.

So everyone is going to get a Mecha except for Mr. Gundam himself? Poor Mamo-chan.

Thing is that set is just recolours of the Nobel Gundam (with appropriate hair thrown on) which is already designed like it's wearing a sailor suit, which is a lot easier than doing something for Mamo.

You could probably do a pretty cool Mamoru Custom of the RX78-2 or the Nu Gundam or whatever in black, white and red with the paint job made up to resemble a tuxedo with a rose insignia but it'd be more work than just recolouring the bits that look like a skirt and ribbon like the Sailor Guardian Nobel Gundams.

MikeMyers

Thing is that set is just recolours of the Nobel Gundam (with appropriate hair thrown on) which is already designed like it's wearing a sailor suit, which is a lot easier than doing something for Mamo.

You could probably do a pretty cool Mamoru Custom of the RX78-2 or the Nu Gundam or whatever in black, white and red with the paint job made up to resemble a tuxedo with a rose insignia but it'd be more work than just recolouring the bits that look like a skirt and ribbon like the Sailor Guardian Nobel Gundams.

Well the joke was mostly because Furuya was Amuro Ray, the great Newtype himself. Speaking of which, Furuya finally appeared in Buu Arc Kai today.

BmMCnjHCYAA1ZVV.png

What a happy family.

Also they played techno music when Goku first meets Goten, talk about cringe worthy. Makes me glad that Toei is flat-out remaking Sailor Moon instead of giving it the Kai treatment, which it doesn't need anyway.

Really, you could do like a Tuxedo Custom of one of Amuro's mobile suits, and a Moonlight Knight Custom of Ribbons Almark (Furuya's role in Gundam 00)'s Reborns Gundam.

If I wasn't so terrible with model kits and painting and detailing and stuff I'd probably do this, actually. Sounds like a fun project.

Hirotaka Suzuoki (Bright Noa, Tenshinhan)

Whoa, somehow I didn't know about this one. He played Yellow in Mospeada, too (and Kaifun in Macross but Kaifun was a little shit that deserved to cop several Bright slaps).

MikeMyers

Yup. Furuya and Suzuoki also co-star in Saint Seiya, which I still need to see.

Also, Toshio Furukawa voices Kai Shiden, Piccolo, and our very own Hawk's Eye.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
my biggest wish for the new series is that no matter what they change, that they keep Queen Nehelenia's arc exactly the same. She is my favorite villain from the anime version of SM and I just love her so much. She stunningly gorgeous, powerful, intimidating and flawless, and on TOP of that she gets a redemption ending where she is forgiven and gets a do-over! Anything other than that would be a complete disappointment for me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
my biggest wish for the new series is that no matter what they change, that they keep Queen Nehelenia's arc exactly the same. She is my favorite villain from the anime version of SM and I just love her so much. She stunningly gorgeous, powerful, intimidating and flawless, and on TOP of that she gets a redemption ending where she is forgiven and gets a do-over! Anything other than that would be a complete disappointment for me.
Haha, the Dream arc of the manga is probably the most different one. There's a ton to like though. The Sailor Soldiers legitimately have one of their hardest times with Nehelenia's work, who knows how to get down to business.

MikeMyers

I think the news is tomorrow? It's her hubby's birthday tomorrow as well. Or is it today since Japan is already on the 27th?

More importantly, Toshio Furukawa is Ataru Moroboshi, the infamous protagonist of Urusei Yatsura.

Still need to get around to seeing that but I got Mermaid Saga lined up first since that is much shorter. Will probably start that when I finish the semester next month.

Queen Nehelenia was my favourite villain too. Fisheye was an awesome henchmen as well. Hopefully he wont just show up and die in the new anime like he did in the manga.

MikeMyers

I thought most of the big bad's henchemen were more enjoyable in the anime. The manga doesn't really have much room for character interaction for those guys.

Top Bottom