• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What part of "first and third saturdays of each month" is giving you difficulty?

You're going to sit here and tell me that Dark Kingdom is all you want to see ever?

I'm going to sit here and tell you that I'll finally get to see the manga version of the Dark Kingdom arc animated, and there's a chance at getting all of the manga animated as a straight adaptation. If it takes five years to get through, it'll be a great five years.

duckroll

Not really, I had my fill of Dark Kingdom with BS and PG. The reason JoJo's season 1 got away with being Phamtom Blood and Battle Tendency is because those two chapters had not been adapted (In any meaningful way).

Well, do you think the recent Berserk movies "got away with it"?

Conan-san

Well, do you think the recent Berserk movies "got away with it"?
No, not particularity.

What part of "first and third saturdays of each month" is giving you difficulty?
What part of "Announced 2012, released 2014" is hard for you to grasp?
I'm talking about A, you're talking about Z.

I'm going to sit here and tell you that I'll finally get to see the manga version of the Dark Kingdom arc animated, and there's a decent shot at getting all of the manga animated as a straight adaptation. If it takes five years to get through, it'll be a great five years.
That pamphlet is saying 26. I dare say, after everything that's happened that the chances of a second season is downright laughable. 26 episodes is what we're getting and no more. Ether we're getting a heavy squeezed 1:1 adaptation of the manga or, once again, we're going to play the first verse of a song that has five.

Conan-san

So you want them to simply skip to the end? You don't see the problems in doing that?
No, I have issues in them only doing the one god-damn thing (Or rushing through five under a rushed schedule)! That's my issue! The ep count suggests ether a rushed adaptation or a partial one, nether scenario is entirely enticing with the only hope being a 1 in a million shot at a sequel.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No, I have issues in them only doing the one god-damn thing (Or rushing through five under a rushed schedule)! That's my issue! The ep count suggests ether a rushed adaptation or a partial one, nether scenario is entirely enticing with the only hope being a 1 in a million shot at a sequel.
No, it's fairly obvious they're doing the first arc, or more of the cast would have been discussed, and it's also the arc that focuses on the Silver Crystal. Doing all 60 chapters in 26 episodes is too stupid to even consider.

Again, though, you're despairing and throwing a fit based on your own pessimism and nothing else.

Conan-san

No, it's fairly obvious they're doing the first arc, or more of the cast would have been discussed, and it's also the arc that focuses on the Silver Crystal. Doing all 60 chapters in 26 episodes is too stupid to even consider.

Again, though, you're despairing and throwing a fit based on your own pessimism and nothing else.
Yeah well fuck me for wanting to see things other than the Dark Kingdom, I guess I'm just the bad-guy for wanting to see other things like time travel, science gone mad and such.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah well fuck me for wanting to see things other than the Dark Kingdom, I guess I'm just the bad-guy for wanting to see other things like time travel, science gone mad and such.
You seriously think that if this goes well for Niconico they'll just pack it up? This is a potential gold mine for them. Maybe it pans out, maybe it won't, but it all starts at the beginning.

Conan-san

You seriously think that if this goes well for Niconico they'll just pack it up? This is a potential gold mine for them. Maybe it pans out, maybe it won't, but it all starts at the beginning.
I seriously think Naoko Takeuchi will make it completely not worth the effort shy of it doing Doreamon numbers, yes.

Again, Two years of gaestration time, most of which I will grantee you was her going Thatcher every time anyone so much as sneezed.

Also, has anything anime wise NicoNico done internationally not been a complete disaster?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just because the project got greenlit then doesn't mean any actual production had started on it.

The sky is not falling.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Because twiddling your thumbs until you have to knock a series back a year is totally a thing you do.
When you don't have the resources and staff lined up yet, sure. Hell, they probably weren't even sure what concept they were working with for a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they fell back on just doing a straight manga adaptation as a default.

Conan-san

When you don't have the resources and staff lined up yet, sure. Hell, they probably weren't even sure what concept they were working with for a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they fell back on just doing a straight manga adaptation as a default.

That paints this whole endeavour under a poor light.

Conan-san

No, because if you were doing a proper adaptation of the full manga that's still cramped.
Honestly I disagree; that's one episode per chapter and I think you could get most of the material of the chapter done from each of those with time to add in incidentals to spare.

DB Kai seemed to do it perfectly fine with a ratio of a chapter per two episodes (dividing the number of chapters from Raditz to Cell, 226 by 4 (56 (and a bit)) to account for SM's monthly publication run) over 90 some episodes

Look, all I want is R, S, a proper version of SS and Stars, is that really unreasonable here?

Is being forced to wade though an expanded version of what is essentially the origin story reasonable?

Conan-san

The Sailor Moon manga is 60 chapters.

The main story is 52, those extra eight are side stories with only one of them (the one with the NASA dood and Luna) being anywhere near important to the main story.

The misadventures of Osaka's insane sister and her wierdo Ganguro buddy do not rank high on my list of "Things to addapt in a new version of Sailor Moon".

Conan-san

*grabs copy*

On page 228 of the japanese PGSM edition manga volume 12 table of contents, it says "Act 60 - Stars 11".
I repeat; the extra 8 are extra side storys (Like Ami's first love, the verious asides with ChibiUsa et all) so there's 52 chapters to the main story.

And besides all that, is there enough origin story to spread over 26 episodes? Fifteen Chapters, that's spred awful thin, isn't it?

MikeMyers

The new Kodansha release has 16 chapters for Sailor V, 60 chapters for Sailor Moon, and 7 chapters for Sailor Moon Short Stories.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Volume 1 (First)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Volume 2 (First)

7 8 9 10 11

Volume 3 (First/R)

12 13 14 15 16

Volume 4 (R)

17 18 19 20 21

Volume 5 (R)

22 23 24 25 26

Volume 6 (Infinity)

27 28 29 30

Volume 7(Infinity)

31 32 33 34 35

Volume 8 (Infinity/Dream)

36 37 38 39

Volume 9 (Dream)

40 41 42 43 44

Volume 10 (Dream)

45 46 47 48 49

Volume 11 (Stars)

50 51 52 53 54

Volume 12 (Stars)

55 56 57 58 59 60

No numbers skipped. Side stories are in two separate volumes.

I'm right. You're wrong. I have the actual manga on my desk, and I know SM better than you.

Conan-san

The new Kodansha release has 16 chapters for Sailor V, 60 chapters for Sailor Moon, and 7 chapters for Sailor Moon Short Stories.
The actaul story chapters equal 52 (and were numbered as such in the orgional as noted on Wikipeida) with the extra eight being side story stuff that wasn't numbred before hand

My point stands, this needed to be 52 and it needed to be the entire story. I'm bored with only doing Dark Kingdom. Let's have the origin story and then do things, let's only murder the Wanes once

I'm right. You're wrong. I have the actual manga on my desk, and I know SM better than you.
I'm sure you do. But I ask again; why just only Dark Kingdom when there's so much more to be had?

MikeMyers

Well I'm sure if Dark Kingdom is successful enough we'll get to Black Moon.

Personally I'm reserving judgement until I actually see the damn thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Dark Kingdom arc isn't an origin story. It's the story of how Usagi and Mamoru get together and how Usagi comes to learn and accept who she truly is.

I'm sure you do. But I ask again; why just only Dark Kingdom when there's so much more to be had?
Again, nobody has said this. You're being whiny and self-entitled on assumption and it's annoying as hell.

Conan-san

I'd love to be wrong. Really. But if this is only the dark kingdom then it's all been a wadte of time.

Well I'm sure if Dark Kingdom is successful enough we'll get to Black Moon.

Personally I'm reserving judgement until I actually see the damn thing.

Any other show and I'd agree.

Sailor Moon just has too much nonsense around it to make a simple commission of a second sesson a thing.

The pessimist in me says that this series will only get one season. Though Toei is definitely experimenting with this project, so at this point it's harder to predict what they will do. A full adaptation does seems extremely unlikely if they keep the same production/distribution model, however.

Conan-san

Nonsense such as?
In list form and off the top of my head:

Show taken off western market in 03.

All attempts to licence show or live action veriant stonewalled.

Manga version going oop and revised version taking shy of ten years to be printed in english.

SMC announced '12 for' 13 only to be punted to '14. Event for show turned into adver for musical whist editor dodges qustions.

Narag

In list form and off the top of my head:

Show taken off western market in 03.

All attempts to licence show or live action veriant stonewalled.

Manga version going oop and revised version taking shy of ten years to be printed in english.

SMC announced '12 for' 13 only to be punted to '14. Event for show turned into adver for musical whist editor dodges qustions.

• dont' see how that's relevant
  • thought high licensing costs was what was preventative
  • Kodansha in NA is still a relatively recent thing and Tokyopop couldn't renew the SM license in '08
  • You really don't want a rushed production.

Not that I'm an expert but seems like getting ducks in a row to make some money on the property again directly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The initial announcement for the new show mentioned that they weren't doing the Dark Kingdom, presumably because they had an original story in mind either as a reboot like the other installments or a followup to one of them. However, clearly this fell through and I don't blame them.

Cheerilee

Heh, I was mainly poking fun out of back in the day Cartoon Network would get up to Goku beating Recoome and then go all the way back to Raditz, which has been repeated on a few home video releases.

Funny thing is, I thought that the show had been cancelled at that point. That assumption made sense to me. Goku's arrival on Namek was so similar to his arrival on Earth to fight Nappa that the show had obviously been cancelled for running out of original ideas!

YTV in Canada did that too. I got so sick of that stupid farmer. The show would just start to heat up and get exciting, and then *wham*, first episode of DBZ all over again.

And then, do you just lie back and watch beginning of the show for the upmteenth time? Because if you don't, Murphy's Law says new episodes will start airing as soon as you're not paying attention, and you will miss one or two of them.

The worst was when the show wrapped around and reached the point where it reset last time. Is it going to reset again, or is it going to spill into new territory?

MikeMyers

It got to the point where I just discovered the International Channel later on and started watching the series in Japanese. The channel had Slayer subtitled, but not DBZ and GT.

Even though I couldn't understand anything they were saying, I did get to hear Tuxedo Mask, Sailor Saturn, and Hawk's Eye playing minor roles!

EDIT - Lunch is also Esmeraude, but I don't remember her having any dialogue in later storylines.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
YTV in Canada did that too. I got so sick of that stupid farmer. The show would just start to heat up and get exciting, and then *wham*, first episode of DBZ all over again.

And then, do you just lie back and watch beginning of the show for the upmteenth time? Because if you don't, Murphy's Law says new episodes will start airing as soon as you're not paying attention, and you will miss one or two of them.

The worst was when the show wrapped around and reached the point where it reset last time. Is it going to reset again, or is it going to spill into new territory?

The rage that would build seeing those blue sparkles across the screen as Raditz's capsule zoomed towards Earth.

Never forget.

Pluto

I mean, christ, how annoying would it be if every Dragonball product kept starting at the Sayian arc and never went anywhere else?
1. The Saiyan arc is not the start of Dragonball, it happens about one third into the manga, so if a new Dragonball would start there, isn't that pretty much what you want, skipping the beginning and getting to the good stuff (although I'd argue that early Dragonball is much more fun than the Saiyan stuff and beyond).

2. The newer Dragonball stuff is a continuation of the original story, Sailor Mmon crystal os not, of course they start with the Dark Kingdom

What I'm saying is that there's better things after Beryl, much better things.
That's a matter of opinion but no matter what, Beryl is the start of the story, this arc introduces the main characters, brings the team together, reveals the backstory, features 90% of the development in Usagi's and Mamoru's love story.

And you talk of a continuation, I say look to the two years we had to trudge though to get to this point and then tell me we'll get another shot at this.
Once the show's running it will be relatively easy to extend it if it's successful, it's not like they'd fire everyone, burn the character designs and start from scratch for the Black Moon arc if it happens.

MikeMyers

Yeah the first two arcs in Dragon Ball, Emperor Pilaf Saga and the 21st Budokai Saga, are my favourties. Although I generally like the series until the Cell and Buu arcs.

Sailor Moon 64
tumblr_mdi50tZy661ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mdi5eoqe2T1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

In this episode, the characters job to gravity poor Chibiusa is lost in a rainstorm and Usagi goes out to look for her. Here we see the four sisters interact with each other, and I alwys compared to them to my aunts because I had four of those too.

Conan-san

Here we see the four sisters interact with each other, and I alwys compared to them to my aunts because I had four of those too.
Serious shop talk, I know they're as good as dead in Crystal but I really liked the wierd gem sisters in R. I'm going to miss the bad guys having redeeming arcs.

Also Gravity strongest there is.

Except for James in WVGCW but that's for another thread.

Pluto

Yeah the first two arcs in Dragon Ball, Emperor Pilaf Saga and the 21st Budokai Saga, are my favourties. Although I generally like the series until the Cell and Buu arcs.
I generally liked Dragonball from start to finish but the first few arcs will always be the best, my favourites are Pilaf, 21st Budokai and Red Ribbon. The Piccolo stuff was good too but I resent how it introduced the Dragonballs' power to revive people, death becoming meaningless was annoying.

Serious shop talk, I know they're as good as dead in Crystal but I really liked the wierd gem sisters in R. I'm going to miss the bad guys having redeeming arcs.
Who says they won't have them? It's still not confirmed how close to the manga the new series will be. Closer to the manga does not mean zero original elements.

Top Bottom