• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

1995? Heh, you guys are making me feel young.

I did see R 47-59 though. Somtimes when I read the manga I hear those dub voices in my head.

Conan-san

Thumbing through R to make the Kai playlist.

I realise just how perfect Mako using his Aku voice would have been for Wiseman. Alas, not to be.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I remember having to go to Miss Haruna's Classroom for clips of what happened after. I was so hyped to see Esmeraude and Demand in action.
I was there the first time, so we didn't have internet video, only text synopsis on Hitoshi Doi's website.

Thumbing through R to make the Kai playlist.
Jexhius asked me to make a list for people who are absolutely pressed for time, and rest assured it will not be primarily plot/nonplot.

MikeMyers

I wouldn't skip any episode in R or S, but your mileage may vary.

Classic is a season that is really high in my books, but I remember thinking some episodes were a bit lacking. SuperS was mostly hit and miss until the Amazon Trio was replaced, and I felt entirely compelled to skips Stars on a rewatch.

tumblr_inline_n54yeerMzh1r6uc34.gif

MikeMyers

Didn't like the Starlights, and Chibichibi is no Chibiusa!

I do like a few episodes. My favourite is the episode where everyone (except Saturn and Pluto I think) are all in Usagi's house and the whole place is crammed up.

Stars is actually my favourite in the manga, that or SuperS

Conan-san

I was there the first time, so we didn't have internet video, only text synopsis on Hitoshi Doi's website.

Jexhius asked me to make a list for people who are absolutely pressed for time, and rest assured it will not be primarily plot/nonplot.
Oh I mean that list that popped up on Animania (here) and from it I'm picking up the Black with the Reds being whatever I feels make sense at time of poke.

MikeMyers

Less Makoto though, and the real best thing to come out of the Starlights was this.

Well, I dunno. There's a few things I like about Stars, but it's my least favourite. I'm actually most curious to see this and SuperS re-adapted, since those were my favourties in the manga.

MikeMyers

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed Nelehenia return and the final Galaxia battle.

The pop culture references were quite funny too, like the Top Gun and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre one.

Conan-san

Honestly if not for how they utterly bungled the Starlights (really now, writing Sayia as a love interest for Usagi, come on Toei of 96, I knew you were hit over the head by GT but that's no excuse!) we could have just about have fanegled something into a working form for Toonami / YTV.

Cheerilee

I remember I was captivated by the show (the dub, in Canada) and then I saw a report on CBC news about the Sailor Moon phenomenon. They showed all sorts of import merchandise in specialty shops, and they mentioned Hitoshi Doi's website. I burned his name into my brain while I continued to watch the rest of the feature, then I ran off to my room, wrote his name on a scrap of paper, and put it safely in my pocket (although I probably didn't need to, because I've never forgotten that name).

The next day I ran over to the public library, which had just installed Windows 95 and had free Internet, and searched for his name using Metacrawler (I didn't Google him, because Google did not exist yet). I soaked up info until they tossed me out, and then I came back the next day, and the one after that.

Good times, good times.

MikeMyers

For me SuperS wasn't as good as S, but there's a things I like about it a lot. The solo episodes that the Inner Senshi got were amazing, and this had my favourite villains.

Syrinx

How long has it been since you've seen the series? I think every season is at least worth one viewing.

Been two and a half years since I started. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, but it was before I really started watching more anime, so in terms of anime the series kinda seems like a more distant memory than it actually is, if that makes any sense.

Also I didn't pace myself very well the first time around. To go from not watching any anime (or very much of anything, that was kinda a busy time in my life what with preparing for my move to North Carolina) to watching up to eight episodes on some days wasn't the best ways to handle things.

MikeMyers

I'd also recommend the live-action version, which is my favourite.

The execution was somewhat iffy, but I really like how they made the characters more conflicted and interesting. Mostly improved where the Four Devas, but your mileage may vary.

Syrinx

I'd also recommend the live-action version, which is my favourite.

The execution was somewhat iffy, but I really like how they made the characters more conflicted and interesting. Mostly improved where the Four Devas, but your mileage may vary.

Yeah that's true, I've never seen that. The production values look about equal to those of a 10-piece McNugget meal, but it seems pretty popular in the SM community so I should keep it in mind.

cj_iwakura

Yeah that's true, I've never seen that. The production values look about equal to those of a 10-piece McNugget meal, but it seems pretty popular in the SM community so I should keep it in mind.

It's not bad, but it really throws a wrench in the works, and has a lot of comedy(both unintentional and otherwise).

If the first anime series was getting a Blu-ray release, we would have heard by now right? :( I was hoping they might do something to coincide with the new series.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 69
tumblr_mdpbbw6Ivt1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Mamoru gets a new girlfriend to make Usagi feel jealous. While fighting an enemy, Usagi is put to a deep sleep and the others need to get her to break free of it before Freddy Krueger gets to her. This episode was okay; is this the first time we see Motoki's sister?

Also:
tumblr_mdp7ptqxl51ro8ba4o1_500.png

Lady and the Tramp: Cat Edition

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
So I was watching an anime called Ebiten with the GF and came across this :

tumblr_mcp1ddRjyw1ruo577o2_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mcp1ddRjyw1ruo577o4_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mcp1ddRjyw1ruo577o6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mcp1ddRjyw1ruo577o8_r1_250.gif

Apparently it's a show the spoofs popular anime in each episode, the show itself is pretty hit and miss but the Sailor Moon Episode is great.

Pluto

Interesting.

So what's the story behind this? Is this even a real thing?
Some guys in the fandom did some research and it looks like those are the chilean Sailor Stars DVDs, they had english subtitles and the UPC code of Vol. 1 matches, the entire season should come on 9 DVDs. Apparently the quality was mediocre, it looks like they used fan subs and someone claims an entire episode was a ripped fansub.

MikeMyers

So nine releases, that seem to be about $10? That's a total of $90; I think I will pass if it is fansub quality.

I'd buy an official release of Stars though.

Some guys in the fandom did some research and it looks like those are the chilean Sailor Stars DVDs, they had english subtitles and the UPC code of Vol. 1 matches, the entire season should come on 9 DVDs. Apparently the quality was mediocre, it looks like they used fan subs and someone claims an entire episode was a ripped fansub.

I ran into eBay listings for those while trying to find info. Heh. At least we have some idea of what they probably are now...

Venus would be my #1 pick today. How about you guys?

I...don't know. I don't like picking favorites very much. I like them all. :(

MikeMyers

Minako is definitely my favorite of the Inner Senshi, she just has such an extreme personality. Rei is a close second.

Out of the Outers? Hmm, always found Hotaru's mysteriousness to be interesting. So I guess her.

Can't really say I dislike any of them.

Top Bottom