• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Conan-san

Who says they won't have them? It's still not confirmed how close to the manga the new series will be. Closer to the manga does not mean zero original elements.
To the degree where they will be let off the hook and allowed to live normal lives? I kinda doubt that.

They did some abhorant shit in the manga (That one girl springing to mind).

Pluto

To the degree where they will be let off the hook and allowed to live normal lives? I kinda doubt that.
What about the kind where they redeem themselves and are then killed off like Nephrite? I think some kind of redemption has to happen for some villains, otherwise everyone will be killed off as an unrepentant bad guy until the amazoness quartet shows up. That's kinda boring and predictable.

MikeMyers

Will post about SM in a bit, in a hurry.

I generally liked Dragonball from start to finish but the first few arcs will always be the best, my favourites are Pilaf, 21st Budokai and Red Ribbon. The Piccolo stuff was good too but I resent how it introduced the Dragonballs' power to revive people, death becoming meaningless was annoying..

Agreed on those three arcs being the best one. Do you count the Baba tournament as part of the RRA Arc?

I do think every saga has its moments, but once Piccolo shows up it starts to hit a formula:

New Big Bad appears and is really strong.
Goku meets a new rival, or the rival is the big bad.
The new rival is somewhere around his power.
Goku beats the Big Bad and/or New Rival and surpasses him.
The new rival is now Goku's friend.
Being Goku's friend means you're now outpaced and inferior in the next arc.

I do think every arc has its moments, but the pre-Piccolo stuff is my favourite.

MikeMyers

Glad to see so much love for the adventure parts of DB, Mamoru seems to like the earlier parts better too.

BmqNRSsCMAAu8E3.jpg:large

Where is this from? She looks like Aino Minako.

Pluto

Agreed on those three arcs being the best one. Do you count the Baba tournament as part of the RRA Arc?
Not really, I see it as a break between the bigger arcs, the Red Ribbon Amy has been defeated at that point.

New Big Bad appears and is really strong.
Goku meets a new rival, or the rival is the big bad.
The new rival is somewhere around his power.
Goku beats the Big Bad and/or New Rival and surpasses him.
The new rival is now Goku's friend.
Being Goku's friend means you're now outpaced and inferior in the next arc.
The rival becoming a friend part of that formula has been there since the beginning, Yamcha, Kuririn and Tenshinhan all fit the description.

MikeMyers

Best Buy selling Sailor Stars?

Wonder what that is all about.

@Pluto:

Well some people consider it part of the Red Ribbon Army arc, as he's still looking for the DBs at that point. What did you think of the Baba arc?

Yeah you are right on the friendship part but I liked the dynamic that Yamcha, Krillin, and Tenshinhan brought to the series. Then like about three chapters he adds Tenshinhan and Chaozu to the group, he adds Yajirobe! That's one of my problems with these series. Develop your existing characters, don't add new ones.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dragonball is even worse at throwing characters under the bus than Sailor Moon. Only Goku and Bulma really stay relevant throughout.

MikeMyers

Even Bulma does nothing in the Buu Arc. She just finds the DB's with Yamcha so Yamcha can bring back the people Majin Vegeta killed, but even then that is a minor role. Also, Oolong is best character.

I've actually been keeping track on which characters appear in R the most and Chibiusa is surprisingly quite low at the moment. Then again, doesn't help that she wasn't even in the Ali & En arc.

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna not include the Ali & En arc when I tally it up, makes it more interesting that way.

Pluto

Well some people consider it part of the Red Ribbon Army arc, as he's still looking for the DBs at that point. What did you think of the Baba arc?
some plot points carry over but I still don't consider it part of RRA, it's somewhere in between. I didn't like it that much to be honest, it was a "tournament" right before the proper tournament started again, it was nice to see Pilaf again and I liked Gohan showing up, but the rest was forgettable imo.

Yeah you are right on the friendship part but I liked the dynamic that Yamcha, Krillin, and Tenshinhan brought to the series. Then like about three chapters he adds Tenshinhan and Chaozu to the group, he adds Yajirobe! That's one of my problems with these series. Develop your existing characters, don't add new ones.
I didn't mind adding Yajirobe, his character was very different from the others but I wouldn't have minded if Kuririn had stayed dead to thin out the herd of supporting characters. I liked him very much and his death had a big impact, it would have been a great exit from the series had it stuck. After they brought him back he became useless as a fighter in the next arc, was killed off and revived again and then faded into the background.

MikeMyers

some plot points carry over but I still don't consider it part of RRA, it's somewhere in between. I didn't like it that much to be honest, it was a "tournament" right before the proper tournament started again, it was nice to see Pilaf again and I liked Gohan showing up, but the rest was forgettable imo.

I thought the way they beat Dracula and The Invisible Man were quite creative. Then Goku just started to one-shot everything and I was like, "what was even the point of having Yamcha and Puar fight if Goku can do everything?"

I didn't mind adding Yajirobe, his character was very different from the others but I wouldn't have minded if Kuririn had stayed dead to thin out the herd of supporting characters. I liked him very much and his death had a big impact, it would have been a great exit from the series had it stuck. After they brought him back he became useless as a fighter in the next arc, was killed off and revived again and then faded into the background.

Funny thing is apparently Toriyama made Yajirobe so Kuririn's VA wouldn't be out of a job when Toei adapted that arc. I agree that some characters should have stayed dead.

Furuya considers Hirotaka Suzuoki his voice acting rival/friend, which makes it amusing that they played rivals on the show too. He was married to Mami Koyami, who plays Lunch (and Green Esmeraude)!

Conan-san

Best Buy selling Sailor Stars?

Wonder what that is all about.

Best Case; Funi finaly got the rights and are putting Stars out.

Worst Case; Toei is putting out Stars

Likely Case; Some clown is pulling the "Bootleg Sailor Moon on Amazon" Routine.

Glad to see so much love for the adventure parts of DB, Mamoru seems to like the earlier parts better too.

BmqNRSsCMAAu8E3.jpg:large

Where is this from? She looks like Aino Minako.

To Answer your question; You don't want to know, she is a false profit from a barron country of a desolate land where nothing happens over the course of 120 chapters.

That land is, of course, Weekly Shonen Jump.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 65
tumblr_mdjkjfPvAu1ro8ba4o1_500.png

A Makoto and Minako episode, how come they share an episode while Ami and Rei get their own? I'm pretty sure this happens in SuperS too. Well, they have a big argument over men while talking to Chibiusa (no marrying your dad Chibiusa!) and briefly fall out. Later, they reconcile while battling the men-hating sisters. Didn't realize that Megumi Ogata also voice the oldest of the sisters, Petz.

The action here was really well done too, is this first time we see Sparking Wide Pressure?

No Precure as I'm tired as hell, but here are some GIFs:
tumblr_mdjo13jEGw1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mdjqevo6OQ1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mdjw7vU5rq1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

To Answer your question; You don't want to know, she is a false profit from a barron country of a desolate land where nothing happens over the course of 120 chapters.

That land is, of course, Weekly Shonen Jump.

I have to admit there are plenty of times when I see an interesting series, but then I see the length and am just like "eh, maybe during the summer"

Pluto

It also popped up on YesAsia and GoHastings. Weird.
That has to be a bootleg, right? A DVD release doesn't just fall from the sky, so far every new international license was known months before the first release. What company is releasing those DVDs and why Sailor Stars of all seasons?

Edit: GoHastings lists "Import Vendor" as the studio, so maybe it's an international release? Aren't DVDs from the Philippines usually dubbed in english, maybe it's from there?

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
(please excuse my writing, I am in bed and feeling rather sick but I don't want to delay my comment much longer)

I just finished the first season of Sailor Moon and I really liked it, though I don't think it made a fan out of me just yet.

Firstly I loved the humor and the character interactions, they're are wonderfully done. Story-wise however it's not as good. I liked Usagi's character development and reconciling with who she truly is and what she need to become in order to fulfill her duty, and the romance between her and Momorou is well done as well, it's not the deepest love story I've seen in anime but it gets the job done. I love the fact the the princess of the moon and one of the most powerful being in the Solar System is this little goofball lol. I do love the personalities of the other sailor senshi as well with Jupiter being my favorite of them, I love how she is the muscle of the group and her awesome lightning abilities, she even kicks an enemy's ass before she gets her senshi powers ! If I had any criticism is that Ami doesn't get much development in this season, she never goes beyond the "nerd" role and even her supposed romance turns out to be shallow in the end. Hey maybe the other seasons have better developments for her.

The other thing I didn't like is the action scenes, they're rather repetitive and follow a very specific formula that rarely changes, I know action isn't exactly the main focus of the series but I mean with all the senshi's abilities they could have made rather exciting scenes with them fighting all these monstrosities in each episode and I thought it was a missed opportunity.

Overall I enjoyed the first season I shall give it.

moon83.gif
moon83.gif
moon83.gif
moon83.gif
/5 :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The other thing I didn't like is the action scenes, they're rather repetitive and follow a very specific formula that rarely changes, I know action isn't exactly the main focus of the series but I mean with all the senshi's abilities they could have made rather exciting scenes with them fighting all these monstrosities in each episode and I thought it was a missed opportunity.
It's important to note that while fights largely happen along the same lines, the show doesn't miss an opportunity to play with its own conventions, like Usagi seen bullshitting her speech in ep 6 with Luna correcting her, to which Usagi complains they wouldn't have known if she hadn't spoke up.

Pluto

I just finished the first season of Sailor Moon and I really liked it, though I don't think it made a fan out of me just yet.
That's because you haven't met the best soldier. ;)

It's important to note that while fights largely happen along the same lines, the show doesn't miss an opportunity to play with its own conventions, like Usagi seen bullshitting her speech in ep 6 with Luna correcting her, to which Usagi complains they wouldn't have known if she hadn't spoke up.
My favorite examples of that are in Sailor Stars, with Iron Mouse leaving during Usagi's speech, there's another one (or is it the same one?) where Usagi just won't finish (I think the background music starts over several times) until either Mars or Venus snaps and tells her to finish already.

MikeMyers

My biggest problem for the first season is how Minako and Artemis are not the biggest presence here, which is a shame because I'm a big Minako fan.

The character development was good though, really enjoyed the love story between Usagi and Mamoru. The Zoisite episodes were my favourite of the original because he is such a bastard that he's the type of villain you love to hate, and I loved his little feud with Tuxedo Kamen.

Bladenic

Sailor Moon R 65
tumblr_mdjkjfPvAu1ro8ba4o1_500.png

A Makoto and Minako episode, how come they share an episode while Ami and Rei get their own? I'm pretty sure this happens in SuperS too. Well, they have a big argument over men while talking to Chibiusa (no marrying your dad Chibiusa!) and briefly fall out. Later, they reconcile while battling the men-hating sisters. Didn't realize that Megumi Ogata also voice the oldest of the sisters, Petz.

The action here was really well done too, is this first time we see Sparking Wide Pressure?

No Precure as I'm tired as hell, but here are some GIFs:
tumblr_mdjo13jEGw1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mdjqevo6OQ1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mdjw7vU5rq1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

I have to admit there are plenty of times when I see an interesting series, but then I see the length and am just like "eh, maybe during the summer"

Yeah I love Mako and Minako together but it's not fair that they didn't get their own episodes against the sisters. Also they love showing Venus being weak, like how Calaveras restrains her easily while Jupiter had to be restrained by the monster against Petz. Jupiter rules.

MikeMyers

Awesome Saturn Gif. Hopefully she'll get a proper transformation in the new anime, and not in some Sega Saturn game.

Sailor Moon R 66
tumblr_inline_n4tam2Vp3a1r6uc34.gif

Usagi tries to make curry for Chibiusa and Mamoru, but comes across a youma at the supermarket. However, the best scene is when Minako thinks she has completely cut part of her finger off but it turned out to be a little scratch!

Happiness Precure 8
Girls go to a festival and meet Rei Hino a fortune teller who turns out to be a Precure, but doesn't seem interested in socializing with the others.

Pluto

Awesome Saturn Gif. Hopefully she'll get a proper transformation in the new anime, and not in some Sega Saturn game.
Hopefully the anime makes it that far. But if it does, Sailor Saturn definitely needs a transformation sequence.

I preordered my Saturn Figuarts a few days ago. :) And that reminds me that my Venus still hasn't arrived, she's stuck in customs since April 20. :(

Conan-san

Sailor Moon R 66
tumblr_inline_n4tam2Vp3a1r6uc34.gif

Usagi tries to make curry for Chibiusa and Mamoru, but comes across a youma at the supermarket. However, the best scene is when Minako thinks she has completely cut part of her finger off but it turned out to be a little scratch!
I think Mina is just a walking "Make funny shit happen" device. Whilst I'm an Ami kinda guy, I wouldn't mind sitting back and watching Minako nonsense fireworks go off every darn time.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 67
tumblr_mdmecoz1tw1ro8ba4o2_250.png

Rei has gone to a private resort, and the other girls follow her out of jealously. While there, Chibiusa befriends a dinosaur.

Pretty fun episode, but Chibiusa complaining about the fish was kind of annoying. That being said, I haven't had much of a problem with her in this arc. Last time I saw it I remember hating it, but not so much this time around. This episode was the first time I was like "eh" but that's about it.

On a flip note, why is this episode so controversial? Like I remember it wasn't on the DVD releases, and I've heard rumors that Naoko Takeuchi hates it herself.

Conan-san

Sailor Moon R 67
tumblr_mdmecoz1tw1ro8ba4o2_250.png

Rei has gone to a private resort, and the other girls follow her out of jealously. While there, Chibiusa befriends a dinosaur.

Pretty fun episode, but Chibiusa complaining about the fish was kind of annoying. That being said, I haven't had much of a problem with her in this arc. Last time I saw it I remember hating it, but not so much this time around. This episode was the first time I was like "eh" but that's about it.

On a flip note, why is this episode so controversial? Like I remember it wasn't on the DVD releases, and I've heard rumors that Naoko Takeuchi hates it herself.
At a guess, whilst the show is about Magic and bullshit, Dinosaurs were just a little too out there by anyone's standard.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker

True, but it is still not enough IMO.

That's because you haven't met the best soldier. ;)

image.php

I guess that goes without saying :p

My biggest problem for the first season is how Minako and Artemis are not the biggest presence here, which is a shame because I'm a big Minako fan.

The character development was good though, really enjoyed the love story between Usagi and Mamoru. The Zoisite episodes were my favourite of the original because he is such a bastard that he's the type of villain you love to hate, and I loved his little feud with Tuxedo Kamen.

Yeah I would have loved tp see more of them, it seems like they have more screen time in R.

Conan-san

Nothing Quite beats Jadeite getting a plane in the face.

Really, Death by Plane to the Face is something I wish to write into a novel someday.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True, but it is still not enough IMO.
Of course, I actually agree with you to a large degree here. I don't think they're a total waste of time for the reasons I mentioned, but they are certainly not the strength of the show even if they are the hook. What gets people watching? Girls fighting. What makes the show enduring? Character interaction and its sense of style.

It's always best when they overlap, of course, like the gang introducing themselves in a fight next to Chibiusa while all assuming that the situation involves her leading to her becoming progressively agitated and embarrassed. (Ep 166)

MikeMyers

At a guess, whilst the show is about Magic and bullshit, Dinosaurs were just a little too out there by anyone's standard.

It was the lack of Mamo-chan, same reason why Stars didn't come to America!

Nothing Quite beats Jadeite getting a plane in the face.

Really, Death by Plane to the Face is something I wish to write into a novel someday.

Did he actually die from that? I thought Queen Beryl just put him to sleep for eternity? I know it was discussed early on in the thread.

Yeah I would have loved to see more of them, it seems like they have more screen time in R.

They do! Minako's solo episodes in S/SuperS are among the best.

MikeMyers

Yeah, doesn't get much worse than being stuck inside a television set.

Pleasantville, a film directed by Gary Ross, starring Mimete of the Witches 5.

On a flip note, there's something about Jadiete that annoys me immensely. Mostly a jerk, but without the charisma that Zoisite had.

Pluto

I'm not the biggest Jadeite fan either but I think some of the problems come from the fact that he had no one equal to interact with in the Dark,Kingdom.
Nephrite, Zoisite and Kunzite all overlapped. Jadeite just talked to the boss and then he was pretty much on his own barking orders at youma.

MikeMyers

That's true.

Despite the personality changes in PGSM, Zoisite still remained my favourite. I really enjoyed how he was trying to be loyal to Endymion despite being under Queen Beryl's authority. Jadiete still annoyed me, but I liked his final moments. Kunzite was a straight-up badass. Nephrite got turned into a butt-monkey though, poor guy.

Pluto

Despite the personality changes in PGSM, Zoisite still remained my favourite. I really enjoyed how he was trying to be loyal to Endymion despite being under Queen Beryl's authority. Jadiete still annoyed me, but I liked his final moments. Kunzite was a straight-up badass. Nephrite got turned into a butt-monkey though, poor guy.
Jadeite was played by an awful actor, too much squinting going in with that guy. But I liked his final moments too, the scene between him and Beryl was touching.
I was disappointed that she never showed up again after that. Jadeite decided to stay with Beryl, he didn't have to, she had lifted the curse so in that moment he decided to screw loyalty and Endymion but he still got his "here's your ugly picture/life" redemption moment and then fought as a good guy for Endymion in the special act. Beryl was just gone. :(

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 68
tumblr_mdo0dyeu5k1ro8ba4o2_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mdo0dyeu5k1ro8ba4o1_r2_250.gif
tumblr_mdo0dyeu5k1ro8ba4o7_r2_250.gif

Chibiusa pisses her pants and Luna thinks Usagi did it-ah who cares about that. The four sisters and the four Inner Senshi come face to face and the rivalry has begun. We also get to hear "Ai no Senshi" here. Good stuff, but now I'm about to pass out and go to sleep.

Zoe

The original DiC run went like this:

S1 -> R 60-72 -> R 47-59

I was there. :(

Oh, that's right, I completely forgot it went out of order.

I'm actually pretty sure I saw the original pilot. Though according to the Wiki that aired on 9/2/95, and I could have sworn I saw it on Labor Day (the 4th, the real run started a week later).

Top Bottom