• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

So now that I've watched 8 episodes, I can I say I like the image quality. I swear something is out of order though? Shouldn't the episode preview come BEFORE the opening?

I believe that was pointed out before, but yes, that's how it usually was.

Make the songs a bit longer and cut it down to 2 per episode. Add henshins. (Maybe even for characters other than just Jem.)

I'd die. It would be perfect.

Since Jem changes outfits regularly, I'd feel really bad for the animators. Haha.

Who else would transform, though? Only Jem ever transforms. The Holograms sometimes get holographic outfits for concerts, but otherwise, they don't transform in any way...well, besides when they first met Synergy and that one time Kimber wanted to be turned into someone who couldn't be hurt.
Of course, they could change that, and give everyone a secret identity! Crazy love triangles for everyone!

I'd definitely like longer songs, though. Or at least longer versions available outside of the show. I'm saddened that all of the original songs were only around a minute long, even on all of those free cassette tapes you'd get with toys or mail-in offers. Heh.

Cheerilee

Transformation sequences and music videos? There'd be no time for a story!

I'd still love to watch a Jem henshin sequence, though, at least once. Hah.

The Amethyst shorts which I posted earlier crammed a whole season's worth of plot and two henshins into nine minutes. That's all the plot you really need. The rest can be music videos.

Since Jem changes outfits regularly, I'd feel really bad for the animators. Haha.

Who else would transform, though? Only Jem ever transforms. The Holograms sometimes get holographic outfits for concerts, but otherwise, they don't transform in any way...well, besides when they first met Synergy and that one time Kimber wanted to be turned into someone who couldn't be hurt.
Of course, they could change that, and give everyone a secret identity! Crazy love triangles for everyone!

I'd definitely like longer songs, though. Or at least longer versions available outside of the show. I'm saddened that all of the original songs were only around a minute long, even on all of those free cassette tapes you'd get with toys or mail-in offers. Heh.
I never understood why Jerrica was the only one with the secret identity. No one found it strange that everyone else ran around in full stage make-up all the time, but Jerrica was always the prim business woman who would always mysteriously disappear when Jem arrived? [/cartoon logic]

They're called the Holograms for goodness sake, despite the fact that none of them are. (Well, usually.)

Give the Misfits and the Stingers henshin sequences too, (or something equivalent), while we're at it. I'm too obsessed with this idea to let it go.

Cheerilee

I never understood why Jerrica was the only one with the secret identity. No one found it strange that everyone else ran around in full stage make-up all the time, but Jerrica was always the prim business woman who would always mysteriously disappear when Jem arrived? [/cartoon logic]

Jerrica wasn't a musician or a singer. She was the book nerd of the family. Her secret identity let her come out of her shell and stand out as a singer.
And also gave her a split-personality, resulting in a love triangle with herself.

Jerrica's secret was backed up by Jerrica appearing next to Jem, via holograms.

People did wonder who Jem was and where she came from. One thing I thought they needed to expand on a little more was that she appeared to be some sort of long-lost third sister of Jerrica and Kimber, possibly having something to do with their eccentric father.

The Amethyst shorts which I posted earlier crammed a whole season's worth of plot and two henshins into nine minutes. That's all the plot you really need. The rest can be music videos.

Well, when you put it like that, perhaps it's true. Hah.

I never understood why Jerrica was the only one with the secret identity.

Nobody else would get into trouble for signing themselves to their own record company? Plus what Cheerilee wrote, too.

People did wonder who Jem was and where she came from.

Yup, and the The Misfits even wrote a song all about it! (And performed it twice!)
Plus they also kidnapped her and almost drove her into having a complete mental breakdown trying to figure out who she was after some rich Jem fan hired them to.
So yeah, people were definitely curious.

By the way, how did Jem travel around the world? Did she create a fake passport? Not so goody-goody afterall, huh, Jem?
-----
Anyway, since this is technically a Sailor Moon thread, here, have some fanart: http://polarityplus.deviantart.com/art/Hello-Sailor-455020053

ibcSBnOhrw4EFl.jpg

Jerrica wasn't a musician or a singer. She was the book nerd of the family. Her secret identity let her come out of her shell and stand out as a singer.
And also gave her a split-personality, resulting in a love triangle with herself.

Jerrica's secret was backed up by Jerrica appearing next to Jem, via holograms.

People did wonder who Jem was and where she came from. One thing I thought they needed to expand on a little more was that she appeared to be some sort of long-lost third sister of Jerrica and Kimber, possibly having something to do with their eccentric father.

Well, when you put it like that, perhaps it's true. Hah.

Nobody else would get into trouble for signing themselves to their own record company? Plus what Cheerilee wrote, too.

Yup, and the The Misfits even wrote a song all about it!
Plus they also kidnapped her and almost drove her into having a complete mental breakdown trying to figure out who she was after some rich Jem fan hired them to.
So yeah, people were definitely curious.

By the way, how did Jem travel around the world? Did she create a fake passport? Not so goody-goody afterall, huh, Jem?
I've seen the whole series, so I do remember. I just think it's a funny example of cartoon logic, something many series are "guilty" of. (Including Sailor Moon.) I'm not bothered by it, just amused. And I'm not advocating that Jerrica lose the secret identity, but rather the rest of the band would also have them.

Though don't get me started on the Jerrica/Rio/Jem love "triangle". That's some messed up business.

I've seen the whole series, so I do remember. I just think it's a funny example of cartoon logic, something many series are "guilty" of. (Including Sailor Moon.) I'm not bothered by it, just amused. And I'm not advocating that Jerrica lose the secret identity, but rather the rest of the band would also have them.

If they all had secret identities, I imagine that stuff would get ridiculously complicated...then again, maybe not? The rest of the band doesn't have to be a record producer and a band member in disguise simultaneously...

Though don't get me started on the Jerrica/Rio/Jem love "triangle". That's some messed up business.

But we need to know who he's really kissing! But yeah, it's pretty crazy...if she told him the truth from the beginning, it wouldn't be so complicated, and she wouldn't be jealous of herself (or speak about herself in the third person so much). But that wouldn't be as fun, would it?

By the way, did you guys know that Sailor Moon and her crew are totally Jem Girls? (Yeah, yeah, "inferior" opening theme, but you know you eventually started singing along, anyway!)

Anyway, who had the better "She's Got the Power"? Sailor Moon, or Jem?

But we need to know who he's really kissing! But yeah, it's pretty crazy...if she told him the truth from the beginning, it wouldn't be so complicated, and she wouldn't be jealous of herself (or speak about herself in the third person so much). But that wouldn't be as fun, would it?
It doesn't help that Rio is an absolutely atrocious human being. I loathe him.

By the way, did you guys know that Sailor Moon and her crew are totally Jem Girls? (Yeah, yeah, "inferior" opening theme, but you know you eventually started singing along, anyway!)

Both songs are classic in their own right, but I think I prefer Jem's. It's a lot more catchy.

It doesn't help that Rio is an absolutely atrocious human being. I loathe him.

It's hard to find someone who doesn't. I don't personally have any strong feelings towards him one way or another, but his "two-timing" with Jerrica and Jem is all kinds of fucked up.

Still, he's mostly "just there" 90% of the time, I guess. Plus, his existence led to this glorious gif:

trLKyuW.gif

Both songs are classic in their own right, but I think I prefer Jem's. It's a lot more catchy.

Yeah, same here.

I prefer Stan Bush's "The Touch" from Transformers over "She's Got the Power," anyway.
----

Anyway, we're a month and a day away from Sailor Moon Crystal's release, and we still haven't seen anything besides some character art. He's hoping we see something soon...

For a second, I thought we'd see something soon because of that ViVi premiere event, but that's not until the 30th, so...yeah.

Cheerilee

I would give the edge to Stan Bush, but She's Got the Power might be his weakest song. If you notice, he runs out of material exactly at the halfway mark, and then he just keeps on going. The second half of the song is just a downward slide.

The Britta Phillips song though, is half as long. Similar content, but the Jem song knew enough to leave you wanting more, rather than wear out it's welcome.

Jem version wins.

MikeMyers

Anyway, we're a month and a day away from Sailor Moon Crystal's release, and we still haven't seen anything besides some character art. He's hoping we see something soon...

For a second, I thought we'd see something soon because of that ViVi premiere event, but that's not until the 30th, so...yeah.

I don't mind people gong off-topic as long as people are still civil. Hell, I've gone off-topic here bunch of times talking about stuff like Ranma 1/2 and Mobile Suit Gundam. As for the 30th, that's actually Usagi's birthday! Guess that was a good day to pick that event.

Also, I read Chapter 4 of the manga and PGSM Episode 12. The former featured them going to a ballroom-type thing to see a visit, and there is a hilarious gag
she looks like Umino, but when she loses her glasses she is really pretty, and thus the girls wonder if the same is true to Umino
. PGSM had some hilarious Usagi-stalking-Minako scenes. You know, Anime Minako would love that level of worship from Usagi. Lastly, I know the feeling to get paint on a brand new white jacket. :(

I don't mind people gong off-topic as long as people are still civil. Hell, I've gone off-topic here bunch of times talking about stuff like Ranma 1/2 and Mobile Suit Gundam.

There was Gundam talk besides just mentioning shared voice actors?

Anyway, I don't mind going off topic, either, but I try to stay at least somewhat on topic by including some sort of "on topic bonus" whenever possible. Hah.

As for the 30th, that's actually Usagi's birthday! Guess that was a good day to pick that event.

Yeah, they did it on purpose. :p

Jem version wins.

I think Jem songs always win. But that's personal preference. Aside from the opening themes, I don't really care much for the songs in Sailor Moon, English or Japanese.

One more Jem comment, and then back to our regular scheduled SM discussions.

The gif potential of the She's Got The Power video is OFF THE CHARTS. I forgot how hilariously insane it is.

I've been thinking about making some gifs from it, especially since I have a Tumblr page dedicated mainly to posting Jem gifs I make. Maybe I'll make some gifs sometime today or tomorrow.

I really hate the annoying 1MB file-size limit on gifs uploaded directly to Tumblr, though. It's so damn annoying. I keep having to cut gifs shorter than I want to, or compressing the hell out of them. Heh.

I really hate the annoying 1MB file-size limit on gifs uploaded directly to Tumblr, though. It's so damn annoying. I keep having to cut gifs shorter than I want to, or compressing the hell out of them. Heh.
*bookmarked*

If you do make gifs from that video, can you please do the part where Jem and the Holograms are just randomly flipping through space at the beginning. That part always cracks me up.

Same thing with Danse in the Only Me and the Music video. Her random somersaults through space are epic.

MikeMyers

There was Gundam talk besides just mentioning shared voice actors?

Well, it was because Animazement had various Mobile Suit Gundam stars there, and Sailor Moon has a lot of mutual voice actors.

I like to pretend that Toru Furuya, the voice of Amuro Ray and Tuxedo Kamen, manages to retain his youth is because he's a Newtype and his soul isn't weighed down by gravity. Even when Mamoru met his future counterpart, he still looked the exact same too. Well, then again, the Sailor Senshi did too.

[Regarding the June 30th Date] Yeah, they did it on purpose. :p

Thought so. I knew a girl that was born on June 30th and I was telling her about Usagi, and she decided to watch the series to see what I was talking about. Now she is entirely obsessed with the series and cosplayed as Sailor Moon for Halloween last year. I told her if she ever visits LA (she moved to Chicago) that we'll have to wear out cosplay outfits together.
KuGsj.gif

*bookmarked*

If you do make gifs from that video, can you please do the part where Jem and the Holograms are just randomly flipping through space at the beginning. That part always cracks me up.

Same thing with Danse in the Only Me and the Music video. Her random somersaults through space are epic.

i9DPY3wiqjR7j.gif

And here's a Danse one.

Even when Mamoru met his future counterpart, he still looked the exact same too. Well, then again, the Sailor Senshi did too.

Isn't that because Usagi/Sailor Moon/Neo Queen Serenity is keeping everyone young with her insane powers?

Thought so. I knew a girl that was born on June 30th and I was telling her about Usagi, and she decided to watch the series to see what I was talking about. Now she is entirely obsessed with the series and cosplayed as Sailor Moon for Halloween last year. I told her if she ever visits LA (she moved to Chicago) that we'll have to wear out cosplay outfits together.
KuGsj.gif

Haha. That's pretty awesome! Post some pics if you guys ever do!

MikeMyers

Isn't that because Usagi/Sailor Moon/Neo Queen Serenity is keeping everyone young with her insane powers?

Hey, in her defense, it's what I'd if I were in her position.

Only a month and one day until 1.) the Dub cast is revealed and 2.) Crystal debuts. This thread is gonna explode then.

Syrinx

Hey, in her defense, it's what I'd if I were in her position.

Only a month and one day until 1.) the Dub cast is revealed and 2.) Crystal debuts. This thread is gonna explode then.

Too bad I won't be around when Crystal starts, but I guess I've waited long enough that a few extra days wouldn't hurt me.

Honestly I think I'm waiting for a release date for Viz's first BD release more than anything else atm.

MikeMyers

Actually, I'm also looking more forward to the Blu-Rays myself. Would love to finally own the series. Feels like 2011 all over again where I could finally own the manga.

By the way, since we were talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer earlier, I started Angel. The lack of Willow hurts, but I do like Cordelia!

Actually, I'm also looking more forward to the Blu-Rays myself. Would love to finally own the series. Feels like 2011 all over again where I could finally own the manga.

I don't know which I'm looking forward to more...but maybe Crystal, since it's something new.

By the way, since we were talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer earlier, I started Angel. The lack of Willow hurts, but I do like Cordelia!
Good man! It's about time. I guess that Fred should help fill that empty Willow spot once she joins the rest of the team.

MikeMyers

So if Buffy is similar to Sailor Moon, what do we equate Angel to? PGSM?

I see this season correlates to Buffy S4. I thought that season was underrated, and I didn't really like the series too much after that.

So if Buffy is similar to Sailor Moon, what do we equate Angel to? PGSM?

I see this season correlates to Buffy S4. I thought that season was underrated, and I didn't really like the series too much after that.

I don't really think that you can compare Sailor Moon and Angel...

Sailor Moon and Buffy? Sure. But not Angel. At least I don't think so.

MikeMyers

Yeah Angel is more like Batman: The Vampire Slayer if anything.

I really need to check out Buffy S5 again at one point. It's the only one I don't really gave a solid opinion on, where as ever other season I know exactly how I feel about it.

Yeah Angel is more like Batman: The Vampire Slayer if anything.

I really need to check out Buffy S5 again at one point. It's the only one I don't really gave a solid opinion on, where as ever other season I know exactly how I feel about it.

More like the Vampire Vampire Slayer. But that sounds silly. Hah.

I liked all of Buffy and Angel. Don't really have a favorite or least favorite season or anything. I enjoyed all of both.

Same with Sailor Moon. SuperS and Stars gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed them about as much as the other seasons. Maybe I'm just too chill to be bothered by anything. Hah.

MikeMyers

Maybe I'm just too chill to be bothered by anything. Hah.

Years of film classes where we have to analyze things, makes me too critical on things. :(

Although, I think SuperS is a lot better than what people say about it.

The Batman joke comes from the show. Spike compares Angel to Batman when Spike first shows up in the series.

Years of film classes where we have to analyze things, makes me too critical on things. :(

Although, I think SuperS is a lot better than what people say about it.

The Batman joke comes from the show. Spike compares Angel to Batman when Spike first shows up in the series.

Well, I meant to write Batman: The Vampire Vampire Slayer, but then...I didn't.

Anyway, now I'm glad I didn't take film classes. Hah. I did take acting ones, though.

And yes, SuperS gets too much hate. :(

MikeMyers

Film Classes can be fun, but the one that I hated was Audio Production. 5 hours of adjusting volumes.

By the way, I wrote on Viz Media's Facebook page about the preview needing to come before the opening, but they haven't responded yet. Lame.

MikeMyers

Well there is this:

tumblr_n5cfw0KI0R1r9l4bco1_400.jpg

Temari and Ino being Makoto and Minako I can actually see. In terms of personality, I think Sakura is closer to Rei (in the anime) rather than Usagi, but I think they are just going by colors there.

I don't think I watched far enough into Naruto to know who any of those besides Sakura and Hinata are. I don't really remember the rest. But it's been years since I watched any of it. I watched up to the end of that ninja tournament thing, and then stopped. This was around...2006~2007?

Still, it's cute.

MikeMyers

Look forward to five hours from now then.

Also, I was watching the videos people recorded for the Gundam panel at Animazement 2014. Furuya mentions that Mamoru hasn't been casted yet. So I guess we still don't know if he or Keiko Han will return.

Top Bottom