• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

I made some more avatars:
ec4tPNM.png
ppcZfZj.png
JLJqwAU.png

ly7MV0z.png
kJyNXwy.png
xpiOXIA.png

The art is from Marco Albiero, official merchandise and DVD artist:

Edit:

mV1r0XU.png

MikeMyers

Just read Makoto's debut in the manga.

Best Line: Rei saying "These high heeled legs will deliver your punishment"

She says a similar line in the Snow White episode of the anime, but it's even more amusing here due to her more aloof personality.

MikeMyers

That explanation works for me.

So what is everyone looking forward to the most

(1) Original Anime being released on DVD/Blu-Ray
(2) Original Anime being redubbed by Viz Media
(3) New Anime being made by Toei Animation

Personally, it's #1 for me.

Also, I watched another PGSM episode. I like how Naru even knows Mamoru's blood type. Now that is stalking.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
By the way, is there any place where I can legally buy the music from the first cartoon? Like the score or the image songs?
Ebay, I guess, but don't expect anything to come cheaply. Last I looked the MMB/MSB went for absurd prices on Amazon Japan's Marketplace.

Which makes me cry considering what I let my copies go for.

3, 2, 1, I guess.

Anyway, here's more art from Marco Albiero:

I may have posted the second one before...not sure. Anyway, he's teasing Sailor Venus images, so we'll probably see the standalone Crystal-style art for her that's above posted soon, just like Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter a few posts above, so expect some more avatars soon.
He also posted casual and transformed artworks of them in the original anime style. I might post those later and make avatars, too.

He also redrew the Sailor V manga covers:

(He also posted work-in-progress Jem and the Holograms art a few hours ago, which got me all giddy. It's based on an old poster.)

Anyway, I fully expect to see his art all over the new Blu-ray/DVD releases from Viz Media, since every other release outside of Japan has used his art. Same with all of the recent merchandise.

Here's his official website, by the way: http://www.burningblood.it/marcoalbiero/index.html
His Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marco-Albiero-Art/309139625895581
And a Minus album I just made of his art: http://kdash31987.minus.com/mH85fA92DASOe

Pluto

Without a doubt 3 for me, I already own the japanese DVDs and I'm getting the german ones for the dub so I really don't need another release and I couldn't care less about the new Viz dub, it's not the original version and there's no nostalgia involved.

By the way, is there any place where I can legally buy the music from the first cartoon? Like the score or the image songs?
Amazon.co.jp, a ton of soundtracks were re-released in 2010, they're still available and not even that expensive, i've seen several for 2500 yen each.

Stulaw

Added some pink to the moon (I'm colourblind, so I think it's pink), might add some to the clouds and I need to make the sky a bit darker I think.

Yeah, that's pink. Just add some shading to the sky, I think it should look better.
-----
Anyway, here's the 100% original, true Sailor Moon (Really! Honest! Usagi over there isn't Sailor Moon!), by Marco Albiero:

3, 1, 2

I'm glad a way to be able to own the original show is coming out and I'll definitely be picking it up, but there were ways to watch it even when you couldn't buy it legitimately so that's not as exciting for me as Crystal. New dub is pretty much a distant third since while I don't mind a decent dub it's pretty much just a "whatever" thing at this point.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'd prolly go with 1 if I had an ounce of faith in Viz. Since they went to the effort/expense of getting the whole series I doubt they'll drop it partway through but given their history I can't bet against it! Gotta go with 3 cause its something people are gonna be able ta see through to the end undoubtedly!

MikeMyers

BpcVOdFIAAAwEl8.jpg:large

Ebay, I guess, but don't expect anything to come cheaply. Last I looked the MMB/MSB went for absurd prices on Amazon Japan's Marketplace.

Which makes me cry considering what I let my copies go for.

Yeah I did find a cheap OST with the dub songs. I gotta admit, I actually like those dub sons even if the dub wasn't too good. Fighting evil by moonlight.

Amazon.co.jp, a ton of soundtracks were re-released in 2010, they're still available and not even that expensive, i've seen several for 2500 yen each.

How much is that in US money?

Best SM cat.

Yup, Diana is the cutest!

3, 2, 1, I guess.

Anyway, here's more art from Marco Albiero:

I may have posted the second one before...not sure. Anyway, he's teasing Sailor Venus images, so we'll probably see the standalone Crystal-style art for her that's above posted soon, just like Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter a few posts above, so expect some more avatars soon.
He also posted casual and transformed artworks of them in the original anime style. I might post those later and make avatars, too.

He also redrew the Sailor V manga covers:

(He also posted work-in-progress Jem and the Holograms art a few hours ago, which got me all giddy. It's based on an old poster.)

Anyway, I fully expect to see his art all over the new Blu-ray/DVD releases from Viz Media, since every other release outside of Japan has used his art. Same with all of the recent merchandise.

Very cool! I wonder if they'll put the Senshi on the covers like another DVD release did? If they are doing two sets a season, that's ten of them. There's 10 Senshi, but some characters dont appear in certain seasons. Like Hotaru would only really available for Season 3's second half, but we'll see.

I drew this this morning in Art Academy on Wii U, it's not finished yet. but it looks good from a distance. ]

Nice

3, 1, 2

I'm glad a way to be able to own the original show is coming out and I'll definitely be picking it up, but there were ways to watch it even when you couldn't buy it legitimately so that's not as exciting for me as Crystal. New dub is pretty much a distant third since while I don't mind a decent dub it's pretty much just a "whatever" thing at this point.

Yeah don't really care for the new dub, but I'm glad it is there for dub fans.

I'd prolly go with 1 if I had an ounce of faith in Viz. Since they went to the effort/expense of getting the whole series I doubt they'll drop it partway through but given their history I can't bet against it! Gotta go with 3 cause its something people are gonna be able ta see through to the end undoubtedly!

I feel like SM is popular enough to ensure Viz releases the entire thing, but we'll see.

OMG, this is amazing. I started cracking up just remembering that episode lol

I have nothing to say to this, but since I quoted everyone else I quoted you so you wont feel left out.

I do like a woman with nice long legs.

Amen to that, brother.

Very cool! I wonder if they'll put the Senshi on the covers like another DVD release did? If they are doing two sets a season, that's ten of them. There's 10 Senshi, but some characters dont appear in certain seasons. Like Hotaru would only really available for Season 3's second half, but we'll see.

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of packaging they use. Will it be a box with multiple disc cases inside, one case with all of the discs in it, or a foldout case?

I think they said that they were doing something similar to the Ranma ½ ones, but I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that. But the Ranma ½ Blu-rays are the second option, one case with all of the discs inside.

Here are a few samples of the covers from other countries:

I think the last one is the release that showed up on a bunch of sites like Best Buy and Amazon, among others. The US trailer from Viz Media has the same logos as these other releases, so I expect the art on the cases to be similar.

Cheerilee

Yeah I did find a cheap OST with the dub songs. I gotta admit, I actually like those dub sons even if the dub wasn't too good. Fighting evil by moonlight.
Hito was talking about the Memorial Music Box and Memorial Song Box.

Sailor Moon has dozens of soundtrack CDs in Japan, and they're all collectors items, and even if you buy two of them, you might not get all the songs you wanted, while you're sure to double up on other songs (especially Moonlight Densetsu). But then after the anime ended, they came out with two mighty box sets, the Music Box for BGMs, and the Song Box for vocals. Those are the ones you want, if you just want everything.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005ENMY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005ENKJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do you happen to have $3000 burning a hole in your pocket? o_o

Hito used to own these.

How much is that in US money?
General rule of thumb is to knock off two zeroes, or turn them into pennies.

2500 yen becomes $25.00.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I sold them during a time I thought I was through with Sailor Moon. I didn't even get that much. :(

Also, the MMB is NOT comprehensive! There is some stuff on the SM Extra Collection like "Pinchi soshite Ketsui" that was played only twice in the entire show and isn't found on it. Some BGM like the dirge-like theme for Nehelenia at the very start of episode 150 is not found on ANY CD. Some vocal songs are missing from the MSB, like the R Maiden Poem singles, the UNC Plus album, and La Soldier. Also, who the hell knows what happened to Saturn and Pluto's singles for Sailor Stars.

The MMB does cover the vast majority, though, and came with a great booklet that charted all music used in every episode.

Cheerilee

I remembered hearing that La Soldier isn't in the Song Box. That omission is kind of unforgivable.

Plus there's stuff like the Another Story soundtrack CD. It's a merchandise of a merchandise!

Edit: Hey Viz, can you release Another Story? My Super Nintendo still works...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The game soundtracks are separate, but they are all arranged. Another Story pulls music from the previous game soundtracks, like the Silver Millenium theme is from the first game and the airship theme is from the R game.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Non-duplicating list I wrote two years ago:

You'll pretty much have everything minus some karaoke and dialogue tracks with the following...

BGM:
Sailor Moon Memorial Music Box
Sailor Moon Music Collection Extra Version
(Note: some BGM tracks, like what plays at the start of ep 150, are simply not available on soundtrack)

Vocal albums:
Sailor Moon Memorial Song Box
Sakurakko Club - La Soldier single
Sailor Moon R Maiden's Poems Collection
Sailor Moon S UNC Plus
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Merry Christmas
Sailor Moon Supers Christmas For You
Sailor Moon Supers in Paris
Sailor Moon Choral (the one by Society of Kalmia)
(Note: first Stars ED is not available on disc)

Misc instrumental:
Sailor Moon Music Fantasy
Sailor Moon Brass Fantasy
Sailor Moon R Symphonic Poem
Sailor Moon S Music Fantasy
Sailor Moon Supers Orgel Fantasia
Sailor Moon Supers Piano Fantasia

Games OSTs:
Sailor Moon Game Music
Sailor Moon R Game Music
Sailor Moon S Game Music
Sailor Moon S Game Music PSX/Saturn Version
Sailor Moon Another Story

Drama albums:
Sailor Moon Sound Drama Collection 1 (Ikuhara directed!)
Sailor Moon Sound Drama Collection 2 (Ikuhara directed!)
Sailor Moon Sound Drama Collection 3 (Ikuhara directed!)
Sailor Moon R Sound Drama Collection 1
Sailor Moon R Sound Drama Collection 2
Sailor Moon S Sound Drama Collection

Live action:
PGSM DJ Moon 1
PGSM DJ Moon 2
PGSM DJ Moon 3
PGSM Moonlight Real Girl

Plus some Musical albums I've never really gone into.

MikeMyers

Now that's a list.

Hito was talking about the Memorial Music Box and Memorial Song Box.

I know, but I was surprised to see a OST for the dub. I remember liking the actual songs, but the score was merely okay. I didn't think the score was bad, just not as good as the one in the Japanese version. What mostly annoyed me about the DiC dub was the acting.

Edit: Hey Viz, can you release Another Story? My Super Nintendo still works...

Could try writing this on their Facebook page lol.

MikeMyers

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of packaging they use. Will it be a box with multiple disc cases inside, one case with all of the discs in it, or a foldout case?

Whoops didn't even see this lol.

Well, the manga went like this for covers.

Usagi/Ami
Rei/Makoto
Minako/Chibiusa
Haruka/Michiru
Setsuna/Hotaru

That wouldn't really work for the anime, because it means Uranus/Neptune will be on the cover of SuperS, and they don't even appear in that season. Unless Viz doesn't give a fuck.

Amalthea

Banned
Mamo Mamo Mamo! :]
Never liked the OG anime design of Mamoru but when I saw the manga version I understood what Takeuchi was "going for". ;o

MikeMyers

I believe he's a lot younger in the manga/remake. In the manga, he shows a card displaying his age as 17, where as in the anime I think he's already in college.

By the way, in about half an hour, Episode 9 and 10 of Classic will be on Hulu. The latter debuts Rei Hino, also known as Sailor Mars.

MikeMyers

Liking the Minako avatars.

Sailor Moon 9
tumblr_mmptsnbXw51ro8ba4o1_500.png

Now Jadiete wants to make humans work harder to increase their energy output that he can steal...um okay. Well I do like the Usagi solo episodes, it is enjoyable seeing her actually interact with another Senshi. Also, I have a friend who ensure that I wake up in time for my College Courses too. :p

It looks like the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal will be called "Act.1 Usagi – Sailor Moon," like in the manga, according to a scan from what I think is Animedia.

Episode plot synopsis (translated from Japanese to Portuguese, and then to English with Google Translate):

As an ally of justice Sailor V is trying to solve a robbery at the grand opening of jewelry, Usagi decides to visit Naru-chan back in the house ...

Zoe

I believe he's a lot younger in the manga/remake. In the manga, he shows a card displaying his age as 17, where as in the anime I think he's already in college.

Yeah, they're three years apart in the manga and at least five apart in the anime.

As an aside, I've noticed in my reread that a year is lost somewhere in the first three arcs. It's really bothering me :lol

Scavenger

It looks like the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal will be called "Act.1 Usagi – Sailor Moon," like in the manga, according to a scan from what I think is Animedia.

Episode plot synopsis (translated from Japanese to Portuguese, and then to English with Google Translate):
I'm not that good at Japanese but, I would've translated it to something like this.

Many robberies at jewelery stores are solved by the ally of justice Sailor V. Returning to the day this hearsay was told, when Usagi visits Naru-chan's home....

MikeMyers

Yeah, they're three years apart in the manga and at least five apart in the anime.

As an aside, I've noticed in my reread that a year is lost somewhere in the first three arcs. It's really bothering me :lol

Never noticed that, I'll look into it.

Does anyone know what years the musicals went for? Or if they are still going today?

Zoe

Never noticed that, I'll look into it.

Does anyone know what years the musicals went for? Or if they are still going today?

Yeah, there are a few hard dates given along the way. The first year starts in the spring, they meet Makoto around June, and then the incident at Mamoru's apartment happens before the summer is over. The second year starts off in May with Rei's school festival. The third year they start celebrating birthdays, and Rei's (April) happens in the first chapter.

The second year is given as 1993. I can't remember if the year was revealed before that.

This seems to be a comprehensive list for the musicals:
http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Sera_Myu

MikeMyers

I gotta check the dates thing out myself.

Thanks for information about the musicals. So they are mostly just loose adaptations of the anime and manga? That means there must be at least like four different versions of the Dark Kingdoms storyline. Crystal could be number five, but I think it is just going to be an animated version of the manga rather than a loose adaptation.

Top Bottom