• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

I made a post on fashion before.

tumblr_mpsvxfqtts1ro8ba4o1_500.png

As you can see, I really think it got better by SuperS (what's up with the bending though?)...

...Goddamnit Minako.

Kdash I've been wondering, what is you avatar meant to be off?

Kdash I've been wondering, what is you avatar meant to be off?

Jem and the Holograms. I made a set of avatars based on some fan art for it a few weeks ago. I thought it'd be truly outrageous if I switched between them randomly.

It's my other favorite female ensemble animated series besides Sailor Moon. It's a really fun '80s show that can get pretty over the top. Hah.
A lot of the music video sequences also had pretty impressive animation for the time. Most of the animation for the show (54 out of 65 episodes) was done by Toei. The whole series is on Netflix, by the way.

A lot (all?) of the writers for the show are also comic book writers for a lot of DC, Marvel, and other comics. Paul Dini wrote an episode, Marv Wolfman, the creator of Marvel's Blade, wrote a few, too, among others. The show creator herself, Christy Marx, is also a comic book writer.

Some consider the series an American magical girl show. Technically, there is no magic, but there is a super computer that can create holograms, so...that's sorta close?

From browsing the internet a lot recently, it seems that there's a lot of crossover between the Sailor Moon and Jem and the Holograms fanbases. I know that at least a few other people that post in this thread are also fans (I was actually talking to TheBatman about it not long ago). That "keyofnik" person you post about a lot is also a fan, along with the person that wrote that large Tumblr post about Sailor Moon having no filler which I posted not long ago.

There's also quite a bit of fan art of Jem characters as sailor senshi/soldiers/guardians/scouts/whateveryouprefer.

The show also got really popular randomly with the fighting game community a few years ago during the time leading up to the releases of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken. The official thread here for the latter has a title that references the show. A lot of people wanted her to get into the former, as the show was co-produced by Marvel. Sadly, that never came to pass, of course, though the colors scheme of one of Felicia's alternate costumes might be a reference to Jem.

A live-action movie based on the show also just finished filming about a week ago, too. That should be out sometime in 2015 or 2016. Apparently, the director, Jon M. Chu, had been trying to get it made for 8 years, but only recently got the go ahead for it. The rumors make it seem rather disappointing, though, if they're true, though some big fans got to be extras in the ending concert scene and were pretty excited for the full movie to come out, so who knows...maybe it won't be so bad.

Anyway, I should probably stop editing in a bunch of extra stuff into this post. It's probably gone on long enough. Hah. (I've still edited this multiple times after typing that, though...but I think I'm done now. Probably. Okay, maybe not.)

MikeMyers

Whoa, that sounds awesome, I'll have to look into it.

Apparently Anime Expo is having a big SM day on July 5th, anyone else going? I'll try to make it. I guess that will be where they announce the new dub cast, and I also believe it is the day Crystal debuts.

Whoa, that sounds awesome, I'll have to look into it.
Yeah, it's truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

I realize that I never mentioned anything about the story, though...but it's about two rock bands (later, three in the last season) and their crazy rivalries and adventures. Jem and the Holograms, The Misfits, and later on, The Stingers.

The Misfits and their record producer, Eric Raymond, do so many crazy things that really should have landed them in prison with multiple life sentences. But, as Eric said, "It's amazing what lawyers can do...when you pay them enough."

Oh, and I mentioned it before, but just like Sailor Moon, I also have a Tumblr page for it. Hah. I also made Jem and the Holograms my band in Rock Band 3. I also have Sailor Moon, Mercury, Mars, and Sailor V in there, though I don't have any pictures of them right now. My younger brother made Jupiter.

Apparently Anime Expo is having a big SM day on July 5th, anyone else going? I'll try to make it. I guess that will be where they announce the new dub cast, and I also believe it is the day Crystal debuts.

Didn't I post something about that? Or at least I remember reading about it...and yeah, that is the day that Crystal debuts. I remember them mentioning that they were announcing the new dub cast and other details there, like you said.

MikeMyers

Yeah post more, we haven't even heard your reactions to the episodes on Hulu yet.

Yeah, it's truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

I realize that I never mentioned anything about the story, though...but it's about two rock bands (later, three in the last season) and their crazy rivalries and adventures. Jem and the Holograms, The Misfits, and later on, The Stingers.

The Misfits and their record producer, Eric Raymond, do so many crazy things that really should have landed them in prison with multiple life sentences. But, as Eric said, "It's amazing what lawyers can do...when you pay them enough."

Oh, and I mentioned it before, but just like Sailor Moon, I also have a Tumblr page for it. Hah. I also made Jem and the Holograms my band in Rock Band 3. I also have Sailor Moon, Mercury, Mars, and Sailor V in there, though I don't have any pictures of them right now. My younger brother made Jupiter.

Didn't I post something about that? Or at least I remember reading about it...and yeah, that is the day that Crystal debuts. I remember them mentioning that they were announcing the new dub cast and other details there, like you said.

It's been mentioned a few times here that Viz will be announcing SM cast and stuff at Anime Expo, but today it was said July 5th would a special day for SM. I guess that makes sense since that is when Crystal debuts. I'll let you know if I get around to watching that show.

It's been mentioned a few times here that Viz will be announcing SM cast and stuff at Anime Expo, but today it was said July 5th would a special day for SM. I guess that makes sense since that is when Crystal debuts.

I remember them saying that July 5th was a "special" day before, though I can't remember where I read it.

I'll let you know if I get around to watching that show.

Cool, cool. No rush. Hah.

I named my RB2 group Gemini Sunrise. I wonder how many bandmates caught on.

You know, I've always been curious to try out the Sakura Wars games and watch the anime for years now. Maybe I'll at least do the latter soon.

MikeMyers

I've always wanted to play Sakura Wars. Much like Sailor Saturn, the Sega Saturn deserved more time to shine.

Speaking of which, I did play a Sailor Moon fighter for Saturn. The game was pretty mediocre, but it came with a mini-episode and is the only time I ever saw Hotaru actually transform in the series.

cj_iwakura

I've always wanted to play Sakura Wars. Much like Sailor Saturn, the Sega Saturn deserved more time to shine.

Speaking of which, I did play a Sailor Moon fighter for Saturn. The game was pretty mediocre, but it came with a mini-episode and is the only time I ever saw Hotaru actually transform in the series.

I own that awful game. Has the distinct honor of being my first import, when I was in the height of obsession.

At the time I thought it was incredible.

Had some good music, though.

And a Sakura Wars game was localized for the PS2. It's pretty great.

MikeMyers

My PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, and my PS2 is in the garage.

You have a Saturn? Awesome! Always had some great fighting games on there. Yeah I agree, the music was pretty good in that game.

I also played the Beat 'Em Up (think Streets of Rage) game for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive, which is pretty fun cover of the Dark Kingdom storyline.

Hmm, I wonder since we are getting a new anime and all, perhaps new video games are in order too?

Have one? It's always hooked up!

It's my favorite system.

You have good tastes.

All of my consoles are always hooked up, too...well, except for my PlayStation and Commodore 64. The former because I prefer to play everything on the PlayStation 2, and the latter because...I don't have space for it, and all I have on it is Frogger.

If anyone is curious, here's my game collection and my game/computer room.

The collection album is missing a few games I got recently, and the digital games collection is way out of date. The game/computer room is sorta my bedroom, too, but I don't really sleep in it anymore. I moved my bed, which was pretty big, into an extra room next door (where I now sleep) so that I'd have more space to walk around in and play games more comfortably. That bed was taking up almost the entire room...

cj_iwakura

I don't have enough room to hook up all mine, but at the moment it's something like:

Saturn|Wii - PS2
PS3 - oXbox
__Sega CD___
(It sits beneath the center.)

My NES, SNES and Dreamcast are shelved, but the DC can come out easily enough.

My collection. As much as I enjoy it, an entire bookshelf of boxed games(especially Saturn/Sega CD ones) is a nightmare to relocate with. Heaven help me if I ever move out of state.

MikeMyers

I don't really play much outside of fighters, although every now and then I pick up an Uncharted 2 to play.

I did make a Street Fighter film, and I did try to make a Sailor Moon film but it turned out completely different to what I imagined. Oh well....

What do you own on Saturn?

Also, I've never played Musou/Warriors.

We need to get this remedied, stat.

Samurai Warriors 2 XL I put about 1000 hours into it on 360.

Warriors Orochi 3 is amazing as well, Ultimate is coming this fall, and Samurai Warriors 4 to next-gen consoles.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Sakura Wars - So Long My Love.

Also I have my Saturn hooked up all the time too. 10 player Saturn Bomberman works great for parties.

I don't really play much outside of fighters, although every now and then I pick up an Uncharted 2 to play.

I play a lot of fighters, too. That's also actually most of what I bought this past generation. Hah. I have a lot of fighters spawning more than 20 years, though. It's one of my favorite genres.

I did make a Street Fighter film, and I did try to make a Sailor Moon film but it turned out completely different to what I imagined. Oh well....

Of course you'd have an Inuyasha mini-poster on your wall. Hah. Nice house, by the way.

I couldn't tell what "Bison" was saying at the end, but I did hear some sort of comment about "Tuesday" like in the Street Fighter movie. The music is too loud. Heh.

Warriors Orochi 3 is amazing as well,

I have the Wii U version. I should really play it more...I played it like 20+ hours the first week I got it, but then I didn't really play it after that. Heh.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I've heard that one about the audio a lot but I can't do anything about it as the files for it are on my old laptop which is broken. It's kind of easier to hear it if you use headphones though. Speaking of InuYasha, I do have the PS1 fighting game of it.

For fighting games I own of this generation: DoA on 3DS, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, and a DBZ HD Collection that didn't even include my favourite Budokai game.

I'd love something we could all play co-op together in. WO3U and SW4 is 2 player online co-op, but there's a few 4 and 6 player stuff out there.

cj_iwakura

Nik's dissection of Stars is becoming a touch grating. It's one thing to over-analyze an episode, it's entirely another to rip its guts open until there's no way to enjoy what's left.

MikeMyers

Nik's dissection of Stars is becoming a touch grating. It's one thing to over-analyze an episode, it's entirely another to rip its guts open until there's no way to enjoy what's left.

Link?

@TheBatman: I wish TTT2 let co-op online like SFxT does, then we could all do that.

Yeah, I've heard that one about the audio a lot but I can't do anything about it as the files for it are on my old laptop which is broken. It's kind of easier to hear it if you use headphones though. Speaking of InuYasha, I do have the PS1 fighting game of it.

For fighting games I own of this generation: DoA on 3DS, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, and a DBZ HD Collection that didn't even include my favourite Budokai game.

I too have that InuYasha game. I also have all of those other games besides the Naruto and Dragon Ball Z ones...though I do have the PlayStation 2 version of Budokai 3.

I'd love something we could all play co-op together in. WO3U and SW4 is 2 player online co-op, but there's a few 4 and 6 player stuff out there.

Speaking of online...I see that you're playing Mario Kart 8 right now, too! Wanna play a few races? Also, do you have Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper? I wouldn't mind playing that sometime, too. I tried to play with a friend of mine in Europe, but it looks like the different region versions of the game aren't compatible. :(

@TheBatman: I wish TTT2 let co-op online like SFxT does, then we could all do that.

omg I wish they would have added that, would have been the best thing ever =(

Speaking of online...I see that you're playing Mario Kart 8 right now, too! Wanna play a few races? Also, do you have Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper? I wouldn't mind playing that sometime, too. I tried to play with a friend of mine in Europe, but it looks like the different region versions of the game aren't compatible. :(

I just turned it off, but I could play a couple :D Also, no I just have Orochi 3 on the PS3. I'm debating about getting Ultimate on PS3 or just waiting to get the PS4 edition.

omg I wish they would have added that, would have been the best thing ever =(

I think it was left out due to issues with having four players at once online. I remember Street Fighter X Tekken being sort of a mess with four players online.

I just turned it off, but I could play a couple :D Also, no I just have Orochi 3 on the PS3. I'm debating about getting Ultimate on PS3 or just waiting to get the PS4 edition.

Yeah, I just saw that you went offline after I posted that. Looking forward to playing soon, though!

...four pages? God damn.

Anyway, that reminded me that I do have a cat named Luna...though, she isn't a black cat...and she was named after Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, not the Sailor Moon cat. Heh.

I do have a tiny black cat that's practically the perfect real life Luna, but she was named Kili, after a dwarf from The Hobbit...

MikeMyers

Up to Episode 10 on my PGSM rewatch, lots of Rei focus here. I also happen to find this:

tumblr_inline_n59rw04GbE1r6uc34.png

Since Rei is more aloof in the manga, I'm kind of curious how they'll handle the visual gags. Well, that is if there are any visual gags in the new anime anyway. Speaking of the manga, I actually did read her debut chapter today. Always funny how Mamoru shows up when Usagi is having a conversation with her cat, heh.

By the way, Cheerilee, that link is insane! It'll take me quite a while to see how many I pass for.

Pluto

Let's see, #3 (I have a ton of the japanese soundtracks), #4, #5, #7 (although they chose a really ugly picture), #9 and #10 apply to me.

Looks like I'm 60% obsessed with Sailor Moon. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure. ;)

All that Jem talk earlier made me curious, I'm interested in checking the show out but I'm a little bit worried, it is an 80s cartoon and most of those are not good. I guess I'll give it 5 or 6 episodes, I'll try to watch the first episode later today.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
10 Signs You Are Obsessed With "Sailor Moon"

I qualify for #4, #5 #6, #7, an #10. That's half of them...so I'm half-obsessed?
Moon Cosmic Power Make Up (Long Version) edges out the Neptune and Uranus transformation theme at the moment for me.

Haruka and Michiru are actually the first lesbian couple in a mainstream anime to be portrayed in a fully positive light rather than a tragic one.

After school? Pfft. Early mornings before school.

MikeMyers

I actually saw the episodes before school too, back when I was living in the UK. One of the channels (Fox Kids?) would play it in the morning and I'd catch it as I was eating breakfast. Although I think I only saw the Ali & En stuff. It wasn't until years later after I saw PGSM that I decided to check out the anime, and even then I avoided the dub there.

Wonder what games they play? Ami probably plays Brain Age.

All that Jem talk earlier made me curious, I'm interested in checking the show out but I'm a little bit worried, it is an 80s cartoon and most of those are not good. I guess I'll give it 5 or 6 episodes, I'll try to watch the first episode later today.

A litte warning: The animation for the first 5 or so episodes is noticeably worse than the majority of the rest of the show.

The first 5 were originally 7 or so minutes shorts with a continuous plot that aired during a Saturday/Sunday cartoon block in 1985. After it became the most successful show there, they edited them into a five episode version with some extra scenes and some redone shots, so you might also notice some random jumps in quality at random points. Then they renewed the show for a three season run, with a sudden cancellation, despite high popularity.

Since it is from the '80s, you can also expect a bit of cheesiness here and there, and a lot of ridiculous parts (rock stars driving in F-1 races?), and the last few episodes of season 1 have some short public service announcements at the end, but it's probably one of the better shows from its era. I tried watching some others show from that era again recently (He-Man, She-Ra, others), but I just couldn't do it, but Jem had me hooked. I watched all 65 episodes in about a week a month or so ago, in 5-14 episode blocks. Hah. I don't know if you'll enjoy it or not, since I don't know much about your tastes, but it's a fun show with lots of action, drama, a bit of romance, some comedy, catchy music, and likeable characters. It also doesn't really feel like it was dumbed down for kids, for the most part.

After school? Pfft. Early mornings before school.

I...might have watched some in the early morning? Or maybe it was the afternoon. I remember it playing after Hamtaro.

I only watched a few random episodes shortly before they stopped airing it on TV, I think. At least, as far as I can remember...but I used to watch a lot of Toonami before that, so maybe I watched more than I remember. Heh.

I do remember watching quite a bit of Cardcaptors, though.

Wonder what games they play? Ami probably plays Brain Age.

Brain Age isn't on the Famicom. :(

There are Sesame Street and other educational games with math and stuff in them, though! Haha.

But maybe her DS-looking computer can play DS games?!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ami crushed the top score on the Sailor V game and won a fighting game tournament with a low tier character without prior experience. She might not play many games because she's too good for them to hold her interest!

Top Bottom