• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Ayumi

@MikeMyers

Seeing as not everyone has caught up with the classic series, it would be easier for more people to join Sailor Moon 20? But any is fine with me! Sounds good either way.

Cheerilee

Watching this episode made me realize Mamoru is the anime version of Fred from Scooby-Doo; he gives orders and transports people but is pretty useless.

I recommend Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's really very good, although some people can't get past the rampant character assassination (example:
Fred has aspergers
).

Ayumi

Actually, while we are at it, do you think you can translate this interview for us? Don't feel obligated though, you don't have to do it.

Part 2: Toru Furuya (again, briefed version)

"I'm Toru Furuya - Tuxedo Mask! That sounded good, didn't it?!"

Q. Tell us about the character
A. "About my character.. so far I've always been voicing the hero in the story."
He also talks about his other voice actor roles and how they kind of match up with each other as secondary characters.
And he says he feels bad that no matter how much effort and emotions he puts into a character, they never really become popular. Wow, he's modest!
"Although this time, I'm voicing a mysterious character with a mask and a cape. I feel so happy about his! I got very excited because I really wanted to voice this kind of character.
It's a good thing that I'm not voicing the main character since I can now make great appearances and the proper time, like saying something great! That's my most favorite thing about him, it makes me feel great!"

Q. Any improvising in the story?
A. "I'll drive. Hurry!"* (or whatever the English subtitles say) was my improvisation. This is something that made Tuxedo Mask into a more comical character. But regardless of that, I've always tried to be great to attract fans. I think we've stayed very loyal to the manga with the anime. We will do our best and we hope that Sensei* will be proud.
* He's referring to Sailor Moon 10.
* Naoko Takeuchi. The staff refers to her as either Takeuchi-Sensei or Sensei.

Q. A message to the Sailor Moon fans?
There is now a new season on TV (Season 2). I hope that you all stay with us for the final. I have faith in you. Goodbye, see you!
ms_pg05toru.jpg
Didn't watch this part until today. He's so cute! When he mentions Naoko, his voice suddenly becomes really soft and sincere. His Japanese is also very old sounding (not surprisingly) and it's very funny.

Do you guys want the end of the clip? Keiko Han as Luna.

MikeMyers

Episode 20 it is.

Thanks for the Furuya interview. Yeah, do the Keiko Han one next. Weird hearing a cat voice coming out of her.

People didn't like Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated? Well I did see it and personally I thought it was pretty well-done. It was a refreshing adaptation.

MikeMyers

Oh, and since I saw in the K-ON! thread that you were watching Evangelion, I'd mention to you that Eva!Rei was apparently named after Sailor Mars. Shinji and Misato are voiced by Haruka and Usagi. Haruka will show next season if you don't know who she is.

Oh, and since I saw in the K-ON! thread that you were watching Evangelion, I'd mention to you that Eva!Rei was apparently named after Sailor Mars. Shinji and Misato are voiced by Haruka and Usagi. Haruka will show next season if you don't know who she is.

Heh. Weird.

Conan-san

It's always been one of those anime rumours that Anno respected the work that went on in Sailor Moon and wanted Ikuhara on board for Eva but that might just be one of those airyfairy things like how apparently Anno went all Blue Blazes on a banpresto dood for suggesting that Evangelion wouldn't fit into SRW.

Though, honestly, I don't think there's much Ikuhara could do to make Eva even more out there. It's pretty damn cat drugs as is.

MikeMyers

It's always been one of those anime rumours that Anno respected the work that went on in Sailor Moon and wanted Ikuhara on board for Eva but that might just be one of those airyfairy things like how apparently Anno went all Blue Blazes on a banpresto dood for suggesting that Evangelion wouldn't fit into SRW.

Though, honestly, I don't think there's much Ikuhara could do to make Eva even more out there. It's pretty damn cat drugs as is.

Hmm, I remember Hitokage telling me about the naming. Well I did find this source, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Already did on IRC/pixiv but I kinda didn't care enough (about anime birthdays or birthdays in general) to post about it everywhere I frequent. www
Ah okay. What do you mean by "www" by the way? I think I've seen you say that before. Oh and nice Halloween Usagi avatar.

Cheerilee

People didn't like Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated? Well I did see it and personally I thought it was pretty well-done. It was a refreshing adaptation.

I don't think that "dislike" is a common opinion. I was in a group recently and the topic of modern good American cartoons came up, and someone suggested Mystery Inc. Just about everyone agreed, but one person became livid, because that show ruined their beloved characters.

Fred has aspergers.
Shaggy is a manchild.
Velma is a bitch, first trying to make Shaggy into something he's not, then giving up on him and turning lesbo.
Daphne betrays Fred's eternal love.

Common consensus seemed to be that Mystery Inc did take liberties with the characters, but that they were trying to make entertaining stories, and it's okay if some people can't handle the changes. We'll just be quiet about how awesome Mystery Inc is while the upset people are within earshot.

MikeMyers

You can say "www" here, I was just curious to what it means. Also I have no idea how to Halloweenfy my avatar.

As for Scooby Doo, I'm happy the new one took liberties. Otherwise it'd be the same thing again again and in my opinion that wouldn't be as exciting.

Ayumi

Hmm, I remember Hitokage telling me about the naming. Well I did find this source, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン』の綾波レイの名前のモデルは火野レイからである[4]。

Rei Hino's Wiki page confirms it, actually. The one you linked is a translated version of the original source.

Can you explain to me how sad that number is?

(Not sure how fair it would be to compare to Free though, since that's just top fanservice for whoever likes half-naked anime men with muscles.)

It's closer to Wake Up Girls sales than Love Live sales if one compares to idol anime :p

Pluto

Is it really that sad? Many people might be waiting for the regular BD release next month or are special editions usually the majority of sales?

I said screw it and just ordered the limited edition of Vol. 1, I wasn't going to at first but it's just money, if I don't spend it on Sailor Moon I'm just going to buy some other shit.

Is it really that sad? Many people might be waiting for the regular BD release next month or are special editions usually the majority of sales?

By the site author when somebody asked:
For the anime industry, LEs are the only versions that matter. Nobody buys REs. Most releases only have “limited editions” and in 99% of cases they’re not “limited” at all. So basically, it’s a marketing gimmick, not an actual product anyone is expected to buy. The only exceptions are, occasionally, movies and boxsets.

SMC will add more in a month, but not from the “regular edition” of the BD, but rather from the (only version of the) DVD, which is coming out for the first time next month. Some people still prefer DVD in 2014, for some reason! But it’ll only be maybe 500 additional sales.

Pluto

So they are releasing a regular BD that they're not expecting so sell just to make the (not) limited edition look special and not "regular" ... that's some dedication, it's also very weird.

Still, there were only 3 releases that sold more than Sailor Moon, looking at the sales numbers the majority of titles in the top ten sold between 2 and 3000 copies. Were the expectations for SMC that much higher?

I looked up what the newest One Piece volume sold that was released October 1st, just a little bit over a 1000 DVDs and a few hundred BDs in the first week and One Piece is considered a big hit, is everyone waiting for the Log Collections these days?

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 63
iVemUmHGl9fGW.gif

Rei's grandad starts a Wrestling Federation as a ploy to lure girls to the Shrine, and Koan targets it. We get some good character moments from Rei here, including a new attack being used for the first time. Tuxedo Kamen does his thing and anything with Yuchiro is highly enjoyable.

『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン』の綾波レイの名前のモデルは火野レイからである[4]?

Rei Hino's Wiki page confirms it, actually. The one you linked is a translated version of the original source.

Thanks, and hey, I noticed this thread has been getting more active recently!

So they are releasing a regular BD that they're not expecting so sell just to make the (not) limited edition look special and not "regular" ... that's some dedication, it's also very weird.

Still, there were only 3 releases that sold more than Sailor Moon, looking at the sales numbers the majority of titles in the top ten sold between 2 and 3000 copies. Were the expectations for SMC that much higher?

I looked up what the newest One Piece volume sold that was released October 1st, just a little bit over a 1000 DVDs and a few hundred BDs in the first week and One Piece is considered a big hit, is everyone waiting for the Log Collections these days?

Expectations should maybe have been kept low, but the original series seems to have sold 20K a volume on average back in the day. 2-3K is closer to a 'break-even, but might not get more made' point than a hit.

Of course, anime sales is just one part of the picture and there's also all the goods, CDs and such too. Of course, a lot of other anime is made to drive manga/LN sales, but I'm not sure Sailor Moon can rely on that.

Oh, and I'm not an expert at this at all.

Ayumi

I said screw it and just ordered the limited edition of Vol. 1, I wasn't going to at first but it's just money, if I don't spend it on Sailor Moon I'm just going to buy some other shit.
No idea, I actually never bought any physical anime or checked any sales number, so I just wanted to know what it looked like. Perhaps people are just waiting?

[
Thanks, and hey, I noticed this thread has been getting more active recently!

Isn't that great? :3
Let's post here every day~

Cheerilee

(Not sure how fair it would be to compare to Free though, since that's just top fanservice for whoever likes half-naked anime men with muscles.)

As I've heard it explained, most modern anime is fanservice of some sort, because anime sales are in the toilet in Japan, and the only people who show up to buy it are the hardest of the hardcore. So the otaku became anime's target audience. Moe isn't killing anime, low sales are killing anime, leading to the rise of moe as anime's only way to survive.

Can't blame Free for experimenting with fanservice, when half the reason Sailor Moon Crystal got greenlit was likely the show's former hold on otaku.

Once they've made the BD for the LE, it's a simple matter to release a BD without any trinkets. The LE is expensive and targets the otaku, while the plain BD and DVD are cheaper and target the average consumer. Nobody expects the average consumer to show up, but if they do, you have to have something to sell them, because every sale counts.

Ayumi

As I've heard it explained, most modern anime is fanservice of some sort, because anime sales are in the toilet in Japan, and the only people who show up to buy it are the hardest of the hardcore. So the otaku became anime's target audience. Moe isn't killing anime, low sales are killing anime, leading to the rise of moe as anime's only way to survive.

Can't blame Free for experimenting with fanservice, when half the reason Sailor Moon Crystal got greenlit was likely the show's former hold on otaku.

Wasn't actually blaming them, because they're doing great and they knew exactly how to target the proper audience. Though there are many anime that became big hits and slowly died out, I believe that Free will keep its fans and stay strong, because of how well executed it was. But who knows, maybe it *will* die out eventually.

Wasn't actually blaming them, because they're doing great and they knew exactly how to target the proper audience. Though there are many anime that became big hits and slowly died out, I believe that Free will keep its fans and stay strong, because of how well executed it was. But who knows, maybe it *will* die out eventually.

Well, sales for Free are down for S2 compared to S1, but they're still good, and they're much much higher than any other anime men shows this year anyway.

Cheerilee

Don't worry, I wasn't using "blame" in any negative sense.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anno worked on the stock animation for Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, so it doesn't sound farfetched to me.

Ayumi

Got a new big drawer today, and decided to put my Sailor Moon stash on it. :3

Not much as of yet as I haven't even unboxed it all, but I'll take a picture tomorrow or something, if anyone wants to see my shy figure/plush collection.

Yukiari

I want to see, I want to see.

I can't wait for season one to release. Got to get used to the new voices.

Do you think we'll see a release of Crystal in the states?

Ayumi

Some were talking about predicting that SMC might end up on Toonami. And I wouldn't be surprised if they also put it on Spanish TV - the Spanish Sailor Moon fanbase is quite large. But to be frank, I don't see it coming to Japanese TV anytime soon.. But who knows?

Love your avatar. Sami is one of my favorite Sailor Moon fanart artists, Nardack being the first. :3

Edit: I.. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to resize your avatar in a better quality.
Though, the original image is very large, so I had to crop a lot to prevent sharp lines and a choppy look.
Don't feel obligated to use it, though! My image editor is super crappy.. especially when it comes to resizing large images.

If anyone can do it better, here is the original image.
(Artist Source)

p3WBYdj.png

But all in all, I wanna blame GAF's terrible avatar dimension requirements. :<

Yukiari

Some were talking about predicting that SMC might end up on Toonami. And I wouldn't be surprised if they also put it on Spanish TV - the Spanish Sailor Moon fanbase is quite large. But to be frank, I don't see it coming to Japanese TV anytime soon.. But who knows?

Love your avatar. Sami is one of my favorite Sailor Moon fanart artists, Nardack being the first. :3

Edit: I.. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to resize your avatar in a better quality.
Though, the original image is very large, so I had to crop a lot to prevent sharp lines and a choppy look.
Don't feel obligated to use it, though! My image editor is super crappy.. especially when it comes to resizing large images.

If anyone can do it better, here is the original image.
(Artist Source)

p3WBYdj.png

But all in all, I wanna blame GAF's terrible avatar dimension requirements. :<

I don't mind at all, it's even cuter close up. Thank you.

Conan-san

Expectations should maybe have been kept low, but the original series seems to have sold 20K a volume on average back in the day. 2-3K is closer to a 'break-even, but might not get more made' point than a hit.

Of course, anime sales is just one part of the picture and there's also all the goods, CDs and such too. Of course, a lot of other anime is made to drive manga/LN sales, but I'm not sure Sailor Moon can rely on that.

Oh, and I'm not an expert at this at all.

Honestly as this point if you told me Toei had set up this whole thing to fail as a "now shut up" thing I'd mighta buy it.

Conan-san

Was there ever a reason given for SMC not being on TV?
Nope. Presumably Toei wanted to arse off with this and no TV station was going to stand to get buggered with a fortnightly cartoon that looked like arse (as opposed to the rest of Toei's output which is a weekly cartoon that looks like arse).

MikeMyers

Isn't that great? :3
Let's post here every day~
Yeah. Let me know when you do Keiko Han's interview.

Anno worked on the stock animation for Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, so it doesn't sound farfetched to me.
Wow, I didn't know that before. That is interesting.

Crystal is available to watch legally in the US through Hulu. As for a DVD/Blu-Ray release, I think Viz will probably release one once they finish dubbing it. Although they might wait until they release the the entire 90s TV Series before releasing Crystal.

Ayumi

Off-topic, but I dislike how Sailor Moon became a huge competition for posting news and pictures. It just seems so incredibly obnoxious and insincere. I find it kind of hard to find fellow SM fans on Twitter who post for themselves and not everyone else.

I do have many followers who came to me just because of my SM tweets/posts, but I don't really post stuff I don't care about. And most SM Twitter people do that. They post every little thing they find, trying to gain followers or become the "BEST SOURCE FOR SAILOR MOON NEWS".

Unfortunately this has been happening ever since Sailor Moon Crystal was announced. And it screwed up the Tumblr tags, it still does. Sometimes it's very hard to find certain things in the Sailor Moon tags because it's just 100 posts of the same content, all trying to raise to the top by who gets the most notes. I guess my point is that it's so hard to find sincere fans on social networks. Not saying that "YOU'RE NOT A FAN IF YOU POST A LOT OF SM STUFF", just that it's difficult to see who's posting for passion and who is posting to become popular.

Edit: I still post news and stuff here and there, but I don't care if I'm days late posting it. Though, I post a lot less now than before because of these people. :v

Top Bottom