• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

news_header_nakayoshi60th_logo.jpg

Nakayoshi celebrates its 60 year anniversary.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon S 115
ilM76uFY84gxB.gif

We learn more about Hotaru background here. I see we've gotten to the point where other characters don't even show up unless it is time to fight the MOTW. Oh well, at least we got Hotaru.

Goldfish Warning! is up there with the big leagues! Good on Nakayoshi to give it some representation!
That is what I'm gonna watch when I finish Sailor Stars. I guess I should blog that here? Not really SM, but I guess I can post about how its similar to SM in terms of direction.

MikeMyers

How familiar are you with the manga? Because it follows the manga more closely than the 90s anime did, but IMO it doesn't really do the manga's art or characterization justice.

MikeMyers

The manga/new anime was more plot driven than the anime. It moves at a much faster pace, but this also means some of the character-building maybe rushed and certain characters feel underdeveloped. It mostly focuses on Usagi and Mamoru. Also note that personalities in the manga/remake may be different from the 90s anime. The new anime does do action scenes really well, which is something it has other the manga, but I don't think it does the art justice.

Sailor Moon R 13

Holding hands is some serious shit.

Things gets worked out thanks to the power of love, we get to know the history of the Makai Tree and Moonlight Knight's identity gets revealed. It's a touching enough end of the arc.

MikeMyers

I really enjoyed the Makaiju mini-arc. Ali & Ann are hilarious counterparts to Usagi & Mamoru and their story is very touching. The villains in R are my favorite.

Sailor Moon R 14

What are these kids up to then? :p

Anyway... Chibiusa appears and makes a mess. One of the new enemies gets dirt on her face too.

I really enjoyed the Makaiju mini-arc. Ali & Ann are hilarious counterparts to Usagi & Mamoru and their story is very touching. The villains in R are my favorite.

That last episode was touching at least.

MikeMyers

Anyway... Chibiusa appears and makes a mess. One of the new enemies gets dirt on her face too.
Chibiusa gets a lot of criticism for being bratty, and she kind of is at first, but I really enjoy her development in R. Watching her team up with Usagi and Mamoru in the latter parts of the season were a real treat.

There's a shitload of childhood memories in those numbers. lol
I've read Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, and will be watching the anime adaptation of Goldfish Warning! once I finish the SM anime. I should probably look into more Shojo comics.

Cheerilee

I've read Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, and will be watching the anime adaptation of Goldfish Warning! once I finish the SM anime. I should probably look into more Shojo comics.
I read Osamu Tekuza's "Princess Knight" (middle one with the big hat). A mischievous angel gives a medieval Princess two hearts, one boy and one girl. Result is a swashbuckling Princess, simultaneously feminine and masculine, crossdressing to save her kingdom.

I'm sure I've read some of the others, but their names escape me at the moment.

That is what I'm gonna watch when I finish Sailor Stars. I guess I should blog that here? Not really SM, but I guess I can post about how its similar to SM in terms of direction.
AFAIK, Community topics are allowed to drift off-topic, within reason. Goldfish Warning is slightly related to Sailor Moon, and people here seem interested in it, so I would think it's fine even if you don't focus on the similarities.

If anyone disagrees, we're all reasonable people here. A polite objection could be raised, but I don't see anyone doing that.

MikeMyers

10805692_871383199579468_3614539205732887685_n.jpg

10730184_871382256246229_4834960857184816314_n.jpg

(Shamefully stolen from the Memes Facebook Page)

AFAIK, Community topics are allowed to drift off-topic, within reason. Goldfish Warning is slightly related to Sailor Moon, and people here seem interested in it, so I would think it's fine even if you don't focus on the similarities.

If anyone disagrees, we're all reasonable people here. A polite objection could be raised, but I don't see anyone doing that.
I'm aware community threads can go off-topic, but I just wanted to know if people were interested in seeing me share my reactions about it here or not.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon S 116
tumblr_mjw5b0LfEy1ro8ba4o1_500.png
tumblr_mjw5b0LfEy1ro8ba4o2_500.png

Mamoru takes the Usagis and Hotaru to a picnic, and basically this is just similar to the previous episodes events except the Inner Senshi don't show up at all here as opposed to yesterday where they at least showed up for the fight. Decent character moments for the Usagi family and Hotaru here though.

Also, usually I post GIF instead of screenshots, and I did make actually make a GIF for this episode. However, the GIF features Hotaru electrocuting something and it is rather flashy, which some people are sensitive too. You can view the GIF here.

Amalthea

Banned
Chibiusa gets a lot of criticism for being bratty, and she kind of is at first, but I really enjoy her development in R. Watching her team up with Usagi and Mamoru in the latter parts of the season were a real treat.

To be honest I only watched Ribbon no Kishi and Good Morning Spank! as anime when I was little and I started the Kaito Saint Tail manga in my teens but never finished it (I couldn't have anyway since they canceled the series in my country a while after I stopped reading it). Sailor Moon is obvious but I really want to read Cardcaptor and finish St. Tail.

MikeMyers

To be honest I only watched Ribbon no Kishi and Good Morning Spank! as anime when I was little and I started the Kaito Saint Tail manga in my teens but never finished it (I couldn't have anyway since they canceled the series in my country a while after I stopped reading it). Sailor Moon is obvious but I really want to read Cardcaptor and finish St. Tail.
Actually there's a recommendation section in the opening post but it only caters to fans of the anime. Perhaps we need one for people looking something similar to the manga?

I'd let Tuxedo Kamen throw his rose at me, if you know what I mean.

tumblr_n23jwa3vYC1r46ugeo1_500.jpg
tumblr_muy5woNl171ro8ba4o1_500.png

tumblr_inline_muy5vx5Rrv1r6uc34.gif

Ayumi

Heh. Browsing the SM tags on Tumblr isn't what it used to be like. Not sure about you guys, but I was an active SM fan before the announcement of the new anime. I don't mean like "being a fan before Crystal" but actively searching for new artwork and what not, pretty much every day. So I was still searching/checking when the announcement came. It turned Tumblr upside down. Right before the announcement, the Sailor Moon tags (on pixiv too) were completely dead and the only new posts were occasional old recycled gifs and reaction images. It was a lot more easy to find good reaction images and gifs back then!

Believe it or not, I've only been a fan of the SM series since around 2010/2011. That's when I started watching/caring for it. Before that I was always way more interested in manga (I love the Sailor Moon manga a lot more than both of the anime).. I was always impatient and preferred to read at my own speed instead of watching (and skipping OP/ED, lol). And I was never really much into "girly" anime either, which is why it took me a long time to give SM a chance, although there are some girly stuff I do like! I've actually not cared to watch much anime since reading manga was always better for me. And I was also a lot more into video games than anime so I spent more time on that (JRPG, FPS, etc). But, I do love some aspects of anime - like amazing figures, artwork and merchandise. :3

Amalthea

Banned
I became a fan instantly after seeing a toy commercial in 96/97. Sadly it turned out that my class (wich was a bunch of borderline facist psychopaths) hated everything Anime or Sailor Moon. The way they harrassed the girls who were fans of the show made me not eager to admit my own love for SM since I had to represent as a boy wich made me fair game for daily beatings.

So I started to act as if I hate SM.

Ironically it turned out that in my old class (we moved in 96) Sailor Moon was pretty big among all the kids. Fucking worst move ever.

I actually felt betrayed by the fact that all those gender-bending characters in SM could summon monsters or earthquakes and stuff while I was totally helpless.

Conan-san

It was the thing on before Digimon (1999, I think*, Fox Kids UK OG Group, Represent!) which I taped and I taped SM for my sister.

Pretty standard stuff really.

Ayumi

I'm sad by the lack of Mamoru avatars in here. Then again, I wouldn't recognise you guys anymore if oyu changed your avatars.

As a person who loves to change their avatar very often elsewhere, I feel prisoned on NeoGAF, haha. But at least I got stuck with a good one, if you don't count this green Christmas edition.

I'm sad by the lack of Mamoru avatars in here. Then again, I wouldn't recognise you guys anymore if oyu changed your avatars.

As a person who loves to change their avatar very often elsewhere, I feel prisoned on NeoGAF, haha. But at least I got stuck with a good one, if you don't count this green Christmas edition.

I've got a Tuxedo Mask avatar on another website (the windsurfing one). Not sure if I'll change my avatar on GAF now, it's good enough as it is!

MikeMyers

My username and avatar goes together ;p
That they do.

I've got a Tuxedo Mask avatar on another website (the windsurfing one). Not sure if I'll change my avatar on GAF now, it's good enough as it is!
My facebook avatar is me as Tuxedo Kamen.

I'm sad by the lack of Mamoru avatars in here. Then again, I wouldn't recognise you guys anymore if you changed your avatars.

Yeah, I think I'm stuck with this current one. I used to have a Fisheye avatar early on though.

It was the thing on before Digimon (1999, I think*, Fox Kids UK OG Group, Represent!) which I taped and I taped SM for my sister.

Pretty standard stuff really.
My family didnt like me watching SM, then again they only like watching EastEnders.

I became a fan instantly after seeing a toy commercial in 96/97. Sadly it turned out that my class (wich was a bunch of borderline facist psychopaths) hated everything Anime or Sailor Moon. The way they harrassed the girls who were fans of the show made me not eager to admit my own love for SM since I had to represent as a boy wich made me fair game for daily beatings.

So I started to act as if I hate SM.

Ironically it turned out that in my old class (we moved in 96) Sailor Moon was pretty big among all the kids. Fucking worst move ever.

I actually felt betrayed by the fact that all those gender-bending characters in SM could summon monsters or earthquakes and stuff while I was totally helpless.
That sucks man. My friends werent SM fans but they were indifferent to me being one. I do have a SM t-shirt bought from a friend though.

Heh. Browsing the SM tags on Tumblr isn't what it used to be like. Not sure about you guys, but I was an active SM fan before the announcement of the new anime. I don't mean like "being a fan before Crystal" but actively searching for new artwork and what not, pretty much every day. So I was still searching/checking when the announcement came. It turned Tumblr upside down. Right before the announcement, the Sailor Moon tags (on pixiv too) were completely dead and the only new posts were occasional old recycled gifs and reaction images. It was a lot more easy to find good reaction images and gifs back then!

Believe it or not, I've only been a fan of the SM series since around 2010/2011. That's when I started watching/caring for it. Before that I was always way more interested in manga (I love the Sailor Moon manga a lot more than both of the anime).. I was always impatient and preferred to read at my own speed instead of watching (and skipping OP/ED, lol). And I was never really much into "girly" anime either, which is why it took me a long time to give SM a chance, although there are some girly stuff I do like! I've actually not cared to watch much anime since reading manga was always better for me. And I was also a lot more into video games than anime so I spent more time on that (JRPG, FPS, etc). But, I do love some aspects of anime - like amazing figures, artwork and merchandise. :3
I just like looking at Jet Wolf's tumblr haha.

I change my avatar every little while. I don't think that anything but a King of Fighters avatar would go with my name. Heh.

I didn't get into Sailor Moon until 2010, but I knew lots of people that liked it. After I started watching it on my own, I started rewatching every episode with a group of five friends every day. Sometimes we'd voice the subtitles. My younger brother reading Jupiter's dialogue as Foghorn Leghorn was pretty hilarious. Hah.

We got up to around halfway through R together before I had to move away. :/

MikeMyers

Speaking of R, we still need to watch the R film. Maybe before the new Crystal? Helps that MikeHattsu has gotten to Chibiusa in his own watch.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon S 117
iNkza5USyOtly.gif

Random recap of Mamoru giving exposition on the Outer Senshi that we already knew, and then we get a Usagi/Chibiusa/Hotaru episode of them finding Hotaru's favorite celebrity so they can give him a love letter written by Hotaru. You know, this already feels like a foreshadow of SuperS given how Usagi/Chibiusa centric it has gotten, but Hotaru is a lot cooler than Pegasus.

Sure. Before the new Crystal sounds good.
Sweet. Who else is down to watch with us on Skype?

Here's how far back I go: who else remembers Miss Haruna's Classroom?
Actually, no I don't. Could you elaborate?

Pluto

It was a 90s website that had downloads of clips from the JP series, mostly attacks and openings. Back when it took hours to get a 30 second clip and you liked it.
I remember that (the slow connections, not that specific site), I blocked the line for 6 hours (remember that you couldn't use the phone while you were online?) and then became the proud owner of a 5 minute clip that had the size of a stamp.

I remember my mom's reaction, "... the entire afternoom and that's it?!", that was the last thing I was allowed to download that month, shit was expensive back then. I remember when we finally got DSL, a flatrate, 100 kb/s and you could use the phone at the same time, we had finally arrived in the future. Lol

MikeMyers

That's a funny story. I didn't properly get into this series until PGSM so I didn't really get into the anime until later and missed out on things like that.

Well, I just figured it out, so...I guess that I should send you a PM, right?

Edit: I sent it.

Added you. Let me know if I added the right person.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon S 118
ibb16GDxX04rQV.gif

Hotaru and Chibiusa get transported to another dimension and Usagi's team has to save her. Well I can see the Utena parallels here. Good character moments and visual flair in this episode.

Ayumi

I'm just gonna ask this straight forward.

Do any of you want an unopened S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon? I ended up with 3 (people really like to gift things to each other in Japan, and 3 people thought they were clever). I would do a giveaway on Twitter, but I honestly feel like it isn't right since they were gifts (I don't want the person that gave it to me to see it).

Any suggestion on how to determine who I can give it to if more than one of you want it? Alternatively, I'm willing to trade for Sailor Saturn. If you can trade me (I don't care if it's opened, as long as it has no damage & all parts are there) then it's yours. The biggest problem is that it might be kind of expensive to ship it to Japan.. I still have to ship mine so it would be kind of equal, I guess.

MikeMyers

Well, I'd accept one from you, but I'm all the way in California which means you'd have to ship from Japan to America. That would cost a lot to ship. :/

eastx

Do any of you want an unopened S.H. Figuarts Sailor Moon? I ended up with 3 (people really like to gift things to each other in Japan, and 3 people thought they were clever). I would do a giveaway on Twitter, but I honestly feel like it isn't right since they were gifts (I don't want the person that gave it to me to see it).

Any suggestion on how to determine who I can give it to if more than one of you want it? Alternatively, I'm willing to trade for Sailor Saturn. If you can trade me (I don't care if it's opened, as long as it has no damage & all parts are there) then it's yours. The biggest problem is that it might be kind of expensive to ship it to Japan.. I still have to ship mine so it would be kind of equal, I guess.

I'd totally give one to my daughter. USA here.

Ayumi

The shipping rate is the same everywhere in North+Central America. So that'd be my choice over Europe/South America, at least.. I won't be able to send it out at the moment so I'll see how I can do this. I got some other stuff to ship (SS) and prioritise right now, but I'll ask about this later. :3

eastx

The shipping rate is the same everywhere in North+Central America. So that'd be my choice over Europe/South America, at least.. I won't be able to send it out at the moment so I'll see how I can do this. I got some other stuff to ship (SS) and prioritise right now, but I'll ask about this later. :3

No rush! Would be nice if we could pay you some way other than PayPal, like Amazon credit, but I don't even know if Amazon JP sells credit like they do over here. Paypal would still work if needed though.

Ayumi

Don't worry about it. Whoever gets it won't be paying anything. I just need some time, figure out how to decide or whatever. I could do a giveaway and use a number generator. It would be between members in this thread and the other, maybe with "at least x amount if posts in at least one of them".

Conan-san

Sailor Moon S 118
ibb16GDxX04rQV.gif

Hotaru and Chibiusa get transported to another dimension and Usagi's team has to save her. Well I can see the Utena parallels here. Good character moments and visual flair in this episode.

If only Sailor Moon Abridged made it to this part, it would have been YuGiOh abridged refrences untill the cows come home.

cj_iwakura

Sure, I'd like one, but I can pass if someone needs it more(like eastx for their daughter).

MikeMyers

Just a reminder anyone who wants to join me and Hattsu to watch the R Film tomorrow before Crystal is welcome. Just PM me your Skype details.

If only Sailor Moon Abridged made it to this part, it would have been YuGiOh abridged refrences untill the cows come home.
It's like a sequel to the Berthier battle from Episode 71.

Sure, I'd like one, but I can pass if someone needs it more(like eastx for their daughter).
Yeah, I'd say eastx's daughter should get it.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon S 119
i8WMD1OCO4UCA.gif

The cast learns more about the Messiah of Silence and Sailor Saturn. Decent episode, certainly helps build up for the climax. Also I like how Tuxedo Mask ended up being so useless he made the battle even worse in this episode.

Top Bottom