• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

Judging from previous Viz Media releases, it'd probably be divided into two separate releases. Which isn't so bad actually, as it means they can separate the two arcs in the DVD/Blurays.

Also, since Toei already remastered it for the Blurays, I do hope that means Viz can't mess this Bluray up...right?

MikeMyers

Still, Crystal has a chance to redeem itself with Black Moon. I can give them a free pass on Dark Kingdom since we still have PGSM.

Judging from previous Viz Media releases, it'd probably be divided into two separate releases. Which isn't so bad actually, as it means they can separate the two arcs in the DVD/Blurays.

Also, since Toei already remastered it for the Blurays, I do hope that means Viz can't mess this Bluray up...right?

As long as they're not expensive, sure, two releases is fine, I guess. I just like buying it all at once. I'm bad at finishing up buying anime or manga releases. >_>

Anyway, I can't see them messing up the releases...at least not picture-wise, anyway. It's already in full HD on Blu-ray. No need for them to spend money doing anything to it.

Still, Crystal has a chance to redeem itself with Black Moon. I can give them a free pass on Dark Kingdom since we still have PGSM.

I still like Crystal. :(

MikeMyers

Honestly, the writing didn't grate me until the last episode. I was happy to see the Shitennou stick around and then....

Also, if I calculated right,
La Smoking Bomba
debuts on my birthday week. I will GIF the hell out of that.

Conan-san

They fucked up a stright DVD to DVD release. What makes you think they won't make Crystal look awful if not to please Japan.

Just watch, they'll use the TV version of the episodes.

Ayumi

Would it really be such a shame to get new animators for Black Moon?

I can see how that can be both good and bad for them, but seriously..

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS 149
imW2vZJYzgJww.gif

The end of the Amazon Trio arc! I gotta wonder though, why Mamoru never informed Usagi that the orange jacket girl is in fact Fisheye in disguise, but okay. Kind of funny that we get an emotional ending for a bunch of gag villains.

Overall thoughts on Amazon Trio Arc: That was...uneven. Much like S, this seasons suffers from resetting Usagi's development and pacing issues. I know this version of series prioritizes characterization over plot development, but it definitely rushed the character building. For example, in the Nephrite arc of Classic, we had (1) Usagi/Mamoru/Rei love-triangle (2) Nephrite's rivalry with Zoisite and (3) Nephrite's friendship with Naru. Here, maybe the exception of Diana's debut, there really isn't much being built-up besides Chibiusa's friendship with Pegasus, which didn't really have much to do with this climax. Instead everything to do with Fisheye's dynamic with Mamoru/Usagi and the Amazon Trio's fate happens right at the end, and I wish the arc spent more time developing it overtime instead of pushing it all at towards the climax. However, this arc did have some gems. Makoto got two gems here (134 & 147), and Diana is just adorable. Plus, it's the last time we see certain side characters from Classic, so that is worth mentioning too. Time for Nehelenia!

Ayumi

If anyone wants to compare Chibiusa and Sailor Pluto in Crystal, you can see a thumbnail of the concept art on the first row here: http://sailormoon-official.com/

Don't bother checking the article or the source code for a bigger version, it's no there (for whatever reason). Also I'm too lazy to re-upload the image here.
You can also see Chibiusa in the new trailer linked somewhere above. And as you can see, Pluto has her chain here.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS 150 & 151
tumblr_ms9xrd6t1c1ro8ba4o1_250.gif
tumblr_ms9xrd6t1c1ro8ba4o2_250.gif

The Big Bad finally shows her face, new sub-bosses appear, and Ami gets a power-up. In the first episode Chibiusa's friend Momo gets attacked, and wasn't she brunette in R? Also, the second episode focuses on Ami. Nice to see Ami getting so much focus.

Sailor Moon SuperS 152
tumblr_msimisnvFR1ro8ba4o1_1280.png

A little girl idolizes Rei. By far my favorite SuperS episode, if only for the how well the animation was handled here. Figures they would go all out for a Rei episode.

MikeMyers

Double post but does anyone know who this is holding the Usagi drawing?

tumblr_n595iqe1BI1rma68xo1_500.jpg

Naoko Takeuchi is the one holding the Mamoru picture. I think the other one might be Kazuko Tadano, the character designer for the original anime.

Ayumi

Double post but does anyone know who this is holding the Usagi drawing?

tumblr_n595iqe1BI1rma68xo1_500.jpg

Naoko Takeuchi is the one holding the Mamoru picture. I think the other one might be Kazuko Tadano, the character designer for the original anime.

Can't remember which thread but I posted it a while ago. Yes, it's Kazuko. :3

MikeMyers

Yeah, it is like a lot of SuperS episodes were cheaply made, and now we are getting one where they go all out.

Then you get to Crystal, and the Rei episode is the one infamous for bad art.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS 154
tumblr_mt931eXCTl1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Makoto and Minako get into a fight and fall out, and it's one thing to force them the two of them to share an episode again, but they also basically just rehashed the plot of that one too. Still, I liked it, if only for how crazy Minako's idol outfit is.

Sailor Moon SuperS 156
tumblr_mubtl60aoj1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Usagi and Chibiusa meet a Starving Artist, and this is actually a pretty good episode showing Usagi and Chibiusa's relationship. I do wonder, how did Chibiusa go from disguising herself as Usagi's cousin in R to Usagi's sister in S and SuperS?

Bladenic

Makoto and Minako sharing episodes was bullshit. Just another example of Rei favoritism. Bitch.

Anyway I saw a tweet that said "a true Sailor Moon fan would love anything Sailor Moon" basically. Regarding Crystal, of course.

MikeMyers

The Rei stuff doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the entire first arc of S was full of Haruka worship, which bugs me because I don't like Haruka (and by extension Michiru) nearly as much as their manga counterparts. Thankfully the second arc clamed down on the Haruka obsession, and finally made S enjoyable for me again.

Bladenic

The Rei stuff doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the entire first arc of S was full of Haruka worship, which bugs me because I don't like Haruka (and by extension Michiru) nearly as much as their manga counterparts. Thankfully the second arc clamed down on the Haruka obsession, and finally made S enjoyable for me again.

Uranus is my second least favorite after Mars. And not that I would like either character regardless, but I especially hate when shows have blatant favoritism towards characters and do nothing to even mask it, instead they make it obvious to the utmost. And while Haruka favoritism lessened, Uranus/Neptune never really did.

Is it true Ami really appears in the most episodes or has most screen time? I remember you documented that Mike but I think it was only for one season? I dunno, it just doesn't feel like that at the point I'm at (where Hulu is). I mean, even the damn Chibi Usa dinosaur episode was somewhat Rei centric.

Anyway, the Ai No Senshi fight scene kinda sucks honestly. Song is good, but the fight scene is meh as heck. More importantly, they even shafted Makoto here. All her fight footage against Petz is lifted exactly from episode 65 except for possibly the backgrounds being different colors.

MikeMyers

I don't really hate any of them but Michiru is my least favorite. She kind of just feels like pairing fodder. Mamoru at least had two seasons to develop as a character before S turned him into pairing fodder, and Artemis never feels like one.

I documented it for the first two seasons. The first seasons should be pretty obvious, so here's the list I did for R:

Episodes
Usagi: 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 64, 66, 68, 69, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 79*, 82, 84, 86, 87, 88
Chibiusa: 60, 64, 66, 67, 68, 73, 74, 75, 76, 81, 82, 85, 86, 88
Ami: 55, 56, 58, 62, 71, 72, 76, 80, 82, 84, 86, 88
Rei: 54, 56, 63, 70, 72, 76, 82, 84, 86, 88
Makoto: 49, 55, 56, 58, 65, 72, 76, 82, 84, 86, 88
Minako: 52, 56, 65, 72, 76, 78, 79*, 82, 84, 86, 88
Mamoru: 50, 53, 56, 58, 59, 61, 64, 66, 69, 76, 77, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88

Tally:
Usagi: 28.5
Chibiusa: 14
Ami: 12
Rei: 10
Makoto: 11
Minako: 10.5
Mamoru: 16

The asterisk was actually a Luna and Artemis episode, but since it gave Minako and Usagi more screentime than the rest, I counted it.

Bladenic

Holy shit, Rei has LESS than both Makoto and Minako? I'm shocked.

It doesn't really matter much though, content matters more than time and Rei is the obvious favorite.

Anyway, the Ai No Senshi fight scene kinda sucks honestly. Song is good, but the fight scene is meh as heck. More importantly, they even shafted Makoto here. All her fight footage against Petz is lifted exactly from episode 65 except for possibly the backgrounds being different colors.
They did lift the Makoto/Petz fight but it's somewhat redrawn, at least the close-up of Mako's face, it's a huge difference considering how different (and better IMO) Ikuko itoh's style is to Masahiro Ando who did ep 65.
I LOVE that fight since it goes so well with the song and how it's drawn, the whole episode is the best looking episode in the series IMO, but I do wish there'd be more fighting, but as a whole, it's a amazing.

MikeMyers

I think PGSM had the best character balance, followed by Sailor Moon R if I was forced to pick from the anme. The original would be up there, but admittingly Minako did get shafted.

I already covered S, and SuperS/Stars felt like the story of Pegasus/Seiya.

Bladenic

I honestly can't wait to rewatch Stars, only because it's the one I sort of renember the least. Except for the Nehelenia arc, which might be my favorite in the series. Especially the pair ups and fights. And Makoto even gets the best one, imo of course (even though I wish her earring would have sparked Usagi to remember Makoto and her friends PLUS Mamoru, not just Mamoru but whatever).

MikeMyers

Makoto actually did better than the Inners and the Outers against the baddies in the S film:

tumblr_mj5ua6pfOW1ro8ba4o2_250.gif

I like the Nehelenia stuff in Stars, but I didn't like the main arc. I think I would have liked it better if it was more like the manga version since if I remember correctly the anime ended before the manga and a lot of the Stars manga plot points wasn't included in the anime.

Personally I prefer the straight happy ending from the anime opposed to the somewhat more esoteric ending from the manga.

In a sense it's a choice of which cliché you prefer: The pretty much totally happy ending where pretty much everything turns out well or a more bittersweet situation where, essentially, an attempted middle path between pure Order and pure Chaos is chosen because the costs of the former are deemed too great to accept despite the risks of the latter. I will say that the manga certainly gives Usagi more agency.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS 159
tumblr_muvux1QMC11ro8ba4o4_250.gif

After a MTV Music Video of Chibiusa riding Pegasus, the girls suspect Chibiusa has a boyfriend and try to interrogate her. Notably, Makoto trolling to Rei here is hilarious. Also, we finally are getting buildup about the Golden Crystal and Nehelenia, something that probably should have been done in the first arc.

tumblr_muy7jfCBcX1ro8ba4o1_500.png

I can't help but feel sorry for this guy. :(

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS 160
tumblr_mv5raoremg1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Minako gets the other girls to do volunteer work, but the Amazon Quartet are there. Pretty funny hijinks, and now Nehelenia is gonna make her move. Time for the 12-episode battle with Nehelenia that goes into another season. Don't worry, I wont be skipping anything here.

Ayumi

The Tuxedo Mask S.H. Figuarts figure is now up for pre-order on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEQZEZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It says that he'll be out...in May.

Not sure if you can get shipped from Amazon Japan (due to address field restrictions) but I once ordered from Amazon UK and that worked.. Anyway, he's cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00QEQZEZA/

3896 Japanese Yen equals
32.6504 US Dollar

Dunno about shipping though, but I can't imagine it's more expensive than $10.

Do all the main characters have a figure art now?

Depends on what you refer to as "main characters."

So far, Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Chibi Moon, Uranus, Neptune, Saturn, and Tuxedo Mask have figures released or announced.

There's no Pluto yet, no Starlights, or any villains.

MikeMyers

Poor Pluto, always getting shafted.

At least Crystal will finally give her the screentime she deserves....unless they change that too.

Pluto

Uranus, Neptune and Tuxedo Mask haven't been released and Chibimoon isn't even up for pre-order, I don't even remember her being formally announced, she was just shown at a Tamashii Nation event, I'm sure they will do Pluto, it's just too early for her to be announced or a prototype to be shown ... I mean, they can't just not do her, right?

Top Bottom