• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS Special #2
tumblr_mnukkdvNYI1ro8ba4o10_500.png

#1 is just a recap, so not much to say here. The second special has Neptune and Uranus, but since Haruka is sick, it's basically a Michiru special. It's actually pretty interesting we finally get to see Michiru by herself, but I didn't think this special really expanded her character like the R film did with Mamoru. Although to be fair, there probably wasn't enough screentime for that.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperS Special #3
tumblr_mnw32wKAfg1ro8ba4o1_500.png

So, during an entire season of Chibiusa & Friends, we get a special about Chibiusa & Friends? Um okay. Well, Chibiusa suspects a girl at her school is a vampire, and the Inner Senshi has a fun time trolling her about it. Okay episode.

Time to start Stars. It isn't my favorite season, so I wont blog much about it.

MikeMyers

Sailor Stars 167
tumblr_n1ks7cU4ua1ro8ba4o3_500.png

Haruka and Michiru are attacked, and Pluto returns. So the justification for Pluto's return is that the time was fucked with and that allows her to come back to life? Hmm. Also, nice opening and ending themes. Eyecatch isn't bad either!

A mix of comedy and sad stuff and with a better looking fight than the one 2 episodes ago. Really liked this one.
Yup, the this half of Black Moon is my favorite batch of episodes.

You know, for something that was so cack handed by Saban, Kamen Rider Black RX is just so good music wise eng or jp (Even if it fitted Digimon better)
Haha, there's something vintage about seeing the anime in low quality footage.

Ayumi

I'm just gonna occasionally post some cute/weird/scary reaction gifs when I wanna post but have no idea what to say.

tumblr_n0hi4vAhXi1r46ugeo1_500.gif

MikeMyers

Sailor Stars 169
tumblr_inline_n1xqgcBS7r1r6uc34.png

Minako whaaaaaaaat? Also, Mamoru gets kidnapped. How many times do Mamoru or the Inners get kidnapped anyway? Feels like it happens all the time.

Sailor Stars 170
tumblr_n23cynkDY31ro8ba4o1_1280.png

The girls go to rescue Mamoru and get segregated. I like the pair-ups here actually, makings for interesting interactions.

taoofjord

I used to love Sailor Moon when it came out in the US in 1995. After seeing the episodes available on Hulu I got excited to watch some of it again. I'm rather enjoying it for what it is but episode 4 was extremely off putting. The one where the gym opens up and Sailor Moon is fretting about gaining weight while her family, Tuxedo Mask, and Luna ALL tell her that she needs to stay fit or lose weight. For a show with female protagonists this is a pretty awful message for young women. How do future episodes handle this or similarly off putting episodes? Is this episode a strange fluke? If not I don't think I'll be sticking with the show.

MikeMyers

I used to love Sailor Moon when it came out in the US in 1995. After seeing the episodes available on Hulu I got excited to watch some of it again. I'm rather enjoying it for what it is but episode 4 was extremely off putting. The one where the gym opens up and Sailor Moon is fretting about gaining weight while her family, Tuxedo Mask, and Luna ALL tell her that she needs to stay fit or lose weight. For a show with female protagonists this is a pretty awful message for young women. How do future episodes handle this or similarly off putting episodes? Is this episode a strange fluke? If not I don't think I'll be sticking with the show.

The early episodes can be a bit bad like that. The show relies a lot on character interaction, and so for some people, it wont pick up until Sailor Mercury and Sailor Mars debut (#8 and #10 respectively). You can try skipping ahead, although a lot of fans (including me) really like Episode #6.

taoofjord

But it does get more positive? I can't imagine any parent nowadays letting their daughter watch this show if episodes like that are common.

I found it especially shocking because I didn't remember anything like that in the show. Then again, I was in High School and probably wouldn't have been offended by it back then.

MikeMyers

Hmm, there's a similar episode to it in SuperS where she's mocked for her weight.

But I can't recall any other episode in the first season as offputting as Episode 4, except Episode 42 which features
Sailor Moon trying to kill a cop who stole Sailor Venus boyfriend

Ayumi

If I may:

The original manga and anime are now around 24 years old. Things were WAY different back then. That's why it was like this because it wasn't a controversial subject anyway. Usagi sounds like she was supposed to be short and chubby but isn't actually drawn that way because it was all played off as jokes. I believe it was because Usagi wanted to feel like she had to work hard to become a good Senshi and that's why she was kind of teased into "staying fit" by some other characters. I also believe we were meant to get an idea that she ate too much so it was based on her food habits and not her appearance.

P.S. You would be shocked to know what's considered fat and chubby in Japan. It's almost unreal.

I'm writing this on mobile and wanted to add some things later once I get on my laptop, so please consider this post as [Part 1].

Conan-san

If I may:

The original manga and anime are now around 24 years old. Things were WAY different back then. That's why it was like this because it wasn't a controversial subject anyway. Usagi sounds like she was supposed to be short and chubby but isn't actually drawn that way because it was all played off as jokes. I believe it was because Usagi wanted to feel like she had to work hard to become a good Senshi and that's why she was kind of teased into "staying fit" by some other characters. I also believe we were meant to get an idea that she ate too much so it was based on her food habits and not her appearance.

P.S. You would be shocked to know what's considered fat and chubby in Japan. It's almost unreal.

I'm writing this on mobile and wanted to add some things later once I get on my laptop, so please consider this post as [Part 1].
and once you factor in the fact that she clearly has Lina Inverse's powers of metabolism all bets are off.

MikeMyers

Aha nice, I like the Ami one.

Started reading the Dream arc. It's pretty funny that parts of it were adapted into SuperS anime and some into the Stars anime. Also, it seems pretty weird that Usagi is being viewed as immature here, since the previous arcs seem to indicate she was pretty mature. Oh well, at least she isn't as lacking in brain cells as he was in the S and SuperS anime. :/

Aha nice, I like the Ami one.
They're all adorable, though! The sprites are from the Quiz Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon arcade game, by the way.

Oh well, at least she isn't as lacking in brain cells asshe was in the S and SuperS anime. :/

You know...I never really thought anything of it. I always thought Usagi was just being her goofy, Usagi way. I wouldn't really have it any other way.

Lina Inverse

Anyway, since I just watched the Gundam movie trilogy this week, here's this:

Sayla Mass = Sailor Mars...get it?
I don't know what else to post anymore.

MikeMyers

Well, the first season ended with a literal reset, and she certainly seems to be doing well for herself in R. Then we get to S and within the first 5 minutes she is interrupting a serious discussion to make jokes about her and Mamoru overdosing in food, and is even getting scolded by Minako over it. That said, it does seem like Stars is doing an alright job with her characterization so far.

Oh and I'm surprise you didn't make a joke about my typo there.

Super cute! Did you make them or just found them? Lots of cute Sailor Moon pixel art on Tumblr, if anyone wants more.

They're all adorable, but I really like Venus in that one.

I found them buried in my desktop somewhere. I don't remember where I got them from originally, though, but they're from the Quiz Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon arcade game. That game is adorable.

My number one post on Tumblr is of a gif I made of the game years ago: http://sailordash.tumblr.com/post/74888700817/heres-an-old-gif-i-made-of-the-quiz-bishoujo

Ayumi

The only thing done right in Sailor Moon Crystal is shirtless Mamoru.
Including what looks like a person under his blankets.

xK46Ifl.jpg

Ayumi

Before I forget, was looking at a Sailor Moon scenery blog and noticed a few things I hadn't cared for before. Like how Naoko used 10BAN on a lot of buildings (which is pronounced "Juuban"). Also saw a restaurant sign saying なかよし (Nakayoshi). Pretty sure tons of people have pointed out every single reference (we all know of OSA・P and other major ones) in the anime by now but I still enjoy discovering them. Because I'm usually not good at noticing when watching. And it's no fun if I go look it up.

Also ironically, I'm going to move to a new apartment next month, pretty close to one of the major Sailor Moon "real life locations". And it was just a huge coincidence. Maybe destiny.. Maybe Mamo-chan is calling for me~

Also ironically, I'm going to move to a new apartment next month, pretty close to one of the major Sailor Moon "real life locations". And it was just a huge coincidence. Maybe destiny.. Maybe Mamo-chan is calling for me~

You should try throwing crushed up paper around then ;)

Ayumi

Looks like Naoko's paycheck and success is reflecting in Mamoru's new bed and apartment.

Here is the old for comparison (episode 31).

tumblr_mnhm9fiLpT1s1odqho1_500.png

Edit: Felt an earthquake as I hit submit on this post.. I'll never make fun of Naoko again. D:

Ah, cool! I followed you on Tumblr, hope you don't mind. :3
No problem! I don't mind! Plus you single-handedly revived my activity meter. Hah.
:O So cute.
Yeeesssssssssss~
What's going on here? ;P
The internet has discovered .gif!
The only thing done right in Sailor Moon Crystal is shirtless Mamoru.
Including what looks like a person under his blankets.
XrZeD2q.gif

Top Bottom