• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

MacBosse said:

You mean I can drive my bitch friend around in co-op in my pimp couch with an actual steering wheel?

OH YES!
That is correct.

Two caveats-
-You have to use a controller to get into the car, then switch to the wheel.
-The cars control pretty badly.

Still, it's amazingly fun cruising around the city like a pimp.

MrHicks said:
saints row is one of these rare "copycat" games thats actually better then the original

i like saints1&2 more then even gta3,vice,san andreas etc
lets not even mention "lets go bowling" and "lets go play darts" GTA4
I'm really enjoying Insurance Fraud, Demo Derby, and Fight Club. San Andreas killed it though with the gang wars, those were so fun to do.

risk

My bf beat this game sometime ago. My job was to run around and do random things in between missions. This game was so fun and there were a lot of things to do... I especially liked jacking almost every car and then fixing them up to make them look cute/cool. I played GTA 4 for a bit too, but there was almost nothing to do - it was almost too serious, but I guess thats just the direction they took. Can't wait for SR3!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Spider from Mars said:
Should I play the first game before jumping into the second one, or is it like GTA with stand alone stories and characters?

A lot of characters carry over from the first game, and a lot of plot points from 1 are referenced, but the game itself is not worth playing. Saints Row 2 does everything SR1 does, but better. It has better missions, more activities, more features like grabbing/tossing. Playing SR1 first will probably just burn you out on the games, and the stories are pretty much inconsequential, so might as well just start with 2.

I want to play this game again really bad but after everything I've heard, I'm not sure if I should buy the PC version. My shit should be able to handle it, though.

Bear

How is the PC version of this game? I have it sealed (found it on clearance) but I still haven't played it. Is it a good port, and are there any worthwhile mods?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Snuggler said:
A lot of characters carry over from the first game, and a lot of plot points from 1 are referenced, but the game itself is not worth playing. Saints Row 2 does everything SR1 does, but better. It has better missions, more activities, more features like grabbing/tossing. Playing SR1 first will probably just burn you out on the games, and the stories are pretty much inconsequential, so might as well just start with 2.

I want to play this game again really bad but after everything I've heard, I'm not sure if I should buy the PC version. My shit should be able to handle it, though.
Right on, I'll just read the wiki on the first and jump into the second one.

risk said:
yeah! Get on that! It's one of the better games I played last year.
I was eying this game for a while, but my backlog kept me from getting it. When it was on sale for 15 bucks, I was like, screw it, and got it, one of the best under $20 game purchases for me.

IMACOMPUTA

I've had this game for like 2 years and just realized you can get completely naked and streak. :lol

p.s. my character is a cutie. I'll post pics soon.

Dead Man

BobJustBob said:
Pfft, Saints Row 2 was only a sleeper hit if you didn't play the amazing first game. Some of us (click my tag) saw it coming.
Never played the first one, you're right, but I also meant sleeper in the sense of unpolished but great.

BobJustBob said:
I just like to point out my tag and how right I was.

yeah, some massive crow there, gta4 was like watching bret vs mcmahon at wm, you waited so long for it, and it was such a letdown you questioned your life afterwards.

Jhoan

After playing SR2, I can't get into SR1 for nothing; it's extremely hard for me to get into it. SR2 is a vastly superior game to SR1. Does anybody here still play the Xbox 360 version and would be willing to go through the game with me on co-op? The only problem is that I had to restart my record because I played with someone who had cheats enabled and he messed up my data, but send me an FR with a message, or an invite whenever I'm on, my GT's in my profile.

Just bought this off of Games on Demand on 360.
I'm out of work with a bad back and I have been bored out of my mind. Was a tough choice between this or Bioshock 2. Hope I made the right choice.

Dead Man

CitizenCope said:
I'm out of work with a bad back and I have been bored out of my mind. Was a tough choice between this or Bioshock 2. Hope I made the right choice.
Oh, you did.

CitizenCope said:
I think you did. How do you like it so far?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After watching the SR3 footage, I decided to continue my 50% save game of SR2 on the 360.

Is the frame rate really this bad, or is something wrong with my console? I did one stronghold mission where you attacked a fish warehouse. Inside the fish coolers there was this kind of wavy full screen effect, and it dropped my frame rate to about 5fps. Is that normal?

FlyinJ said:
After watching the SR3 footage, I decided to continue my 50% save game of SR2 on the 360.

Is the frame rate really this bad, or is something wrong with my console? I did one stronghold mission where you attacked a fish warehouse. Inside the fish coolers there was this kind of wavy full screen effect, and it dropped my frame rate to about 5fps. Is that normal?
Hmm I don't remember it ever being that bad. You might want to turn on Vsync to stop the tearing, which definitely does happen.

Drewsky

FlyinJ said:

I just started the game up again and the framerate is pretty fucking bad sometimes. At the beginning when you're on the boat escaping prison, it's a slideshow. It has been to bad since I got past that first mission, but I'm sure in some of the bigger story missions it's horrible again.

bengraven

I'm going to start this up again. I only got halfway through last time. Got to admit, the story was what did it for me: it's so fucking bad. lol SR1 was bad too but at least felt a bit more focused.

I turned off vsync for gameplay, I think I did anyway or was that only in saints row 1? But outside of the start of the game it's not too bad, game is still fully playable.

Kritz

Banned
You know, I've come around on the PC port of SR2. I'd already played the 360 version to completion and loved the game for its customisation and... well, its customisation.

I bought the PC port for like a dollar on Steam a year or so ago and hated it. The menus were absolutely terrible, the controls were crappy and the game ran like ass on my 8800GT even on the lowest graphical settings (yet the game ran fine on 360 hardware... baffling).

So, now I have a 5850, a wired 360 controller, have modded it with Gentlemen of the Row so the controller prompts actually show up, and most importantly have decided to play the game in coop.

I am fucking amazed that the coop in this game kinda actually works. We've only played like, a mission or two from the story, but it seems to do well enough. The rest of the time we've been dicking around the city and doing sidemissions, which are great in coop.

It's nice when a game can still surprise you. I really hope SR3 keeps the coop, as I'll probably play that as my standard mode.

Ploid 3.0

Kritz said:
You know, I've come around on the PC port of SR2. I'd already played the 360 version to completion and loved the game for its customisation and... well, its customisation.

I bought the PC port for like a dollar on Steam a year or so ago and hated it. The menus were absolutely terrible, the controls were crappy and the game ran like ass on my 8800GT even on the lowest graphical settings (yet the game ran fine on 360 hardware... baffling).

So, now I have a 5850, a wired 360 controller, have modded it with Gentlemen of the Row so the controller prompts actually show up, and most importantly have decided to play the game in coop.

I am fucking amazed that the coop in this game kinda actually works. We've only played like, a mission or two from the story, but it seems to do well enough. The rest of the time we've been dicking around the city and doing sidemissions, which are great in coop.

It's nice when a game can still surprise you. I really hope SR3 keeps the coop, as I'll probably play that as my standard mode.

It's in and they said they weren't going to drastically change it. I'll be just like SR2. They said it works and they don't feel they need to screw with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btQwBVBblvc&feature=player_detailpage#t=291s

Drewsky said:
I just started the game up again and the framerate is pretty fucking bad sometimes. At the beginning when you're on the boat escaping prison, it's a slideshow. It has been to bad since I got past that first mission, but I'm sure in some of the bigger story missions it's horrible again.
Yeah, the framerate was really bad for me. It's especially frustrating because the game doesn't even look that good. It's a shame because I think I would have enjoyed the game much more if it didn't run badly. I beat it but barely remember a thing about it, and i think this is largely due to how distracting the framerate was for me.

legacyzero

Banned
Insurance Fraud, all day, everyday. Hell I think they could have released this separately on the arcade and would have paid a nice price for it. Fun as hell.

kodecraft

Neuromancer said:
It warms my heart to see people enjoying this game, 2 years after it came out.

Ha!...thats how it is....new 360/PS3 users along with the hype building for SR 3...this is what happens.

I feel you though.

kodecraft

Neuromancer said:
I can blow through the co-op campaign with you, if you're interested (360 version). My gamertag's in my profile.

I think I've played through this game I don't know, at least 3 times, but I love it.

I'm looking to start this up....i am up to play.

XBL: Twenty1aboutdis

jgminto

Just out of curiousity, I have a copy of SR 2 on 360 and every freakin' day it freezes up at least once. Never happens with any other games, at least not on this scale. Does this happen to anyone else? Also I have been playing again for about a week and I have been teleported into buildings on three separate occasions.

Picked this up a few days ago and have been really enjoying it so far. I've got roughly half the territory under my control now. Try to do a couple activities and buy some stores between missions.

kodecraft said:
Ha!...thats how it is....new 360/PS3 users along with the hype building for SR 3...this is what happens.

I feel you though.

I found incredible how videogame are capable to sell copies only during the launch window. We need a structure more like movie, why don't advertise old titles like Nintendo does with touch generation?

SixStringPsycho said:
Got this today. Never played the first one. Am I gonna get lost if I didnt?
Nope you should be fine. All you need to know is the main character was in a gang (the Saints), got blown up in a boat 10 years ago and had been in a coma since.

They reference characters from the original game now and then but that's about it.

SixStringPsycho said:
Got this today. Never played the first one. Am I gonna get lost if I didnt?

No.

If you've seen Crank or Crank 2, Saints Row is that in videogame form

Pure awesome!

I'm super excited for SR:3rd

Trigunner

Dilly said:
Also just bought a new PC, so I think I'm safe there.

PC version is definitely the way to go (lack of DLC cars/clothing sucks, but at least there's the Gentlemen of the Row mod), and with a fairly recent system you'll have no problem running it at 1920x1080, everything maxed, with maybe only a few hitches here and there. I do get a fair number of crashes, though.

Never played Saints Row 1. Really debating getting this off games on demand for 360. Would I have fun with it if I found GTA4 to be boring and repetitive?

Jhoan

samus4ever said:
Never played Saints Row 1. Really debating getting this off games on demand for 360. Would I have fun with it if I found GTA4 to be boring and repetitive?

Hell yeah, you will! One word: online co-op and if you need a co-op partner, then I'll be down to do it. Insurance Fraud, Heli Assault, the Cop Activity, are great fun, and the story's pretty over-the-top and darker than the first SR. Plus you get to use a pimp cane that also doubles as a shotgun and has a pimp walking animation and there's several other things you can do like buy property and customize your gangs among other things. Need I say more? The only problem with the game is that the framerate dips whenever it gets too chaotic. Other than that, go for it.

Jipan said:
Hell yeah, you will! One word: online co-op and if you need a co-op partner, then I'll be down to do it. Insurance Fraud, Heli Assault, the Cop Activity, are great fun, and the story's pretty over-the-top and darker than the first SR. Plus you get to use a pimp cane that also doubles as a shotgun and has a pimp walking animation and there's several other things you can do like buy property and customize your gangs among other things. Need I say more? The only problem with the game is that the framerate dips whenever it gets too chaotic. Other than that, go for it.

Sold me. Downloading now. I'll probably just roam around awhile and get used to the game first but I'm always down for co-op. Gamertag is MattyIce1982 add me if you want.

Jhoan

samus4ever said:
Sold me. Downloading now. I'll probably just roam around awhile and get used to the game first but I'm always down for co-op. Gamertag is MattyIce1982 add me if you want.

Will do. One more thing: put the Cockney/British accent as the main character's voice if you plan on rolling with a male character for maximum hilarity. Although I personally didn't pick it and went with the Latino voice, it's a fan favorite voice and it's a GAF favorite.

Top Bottom