• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

MMaRsu

Neuromancer said:
According to Major Nelson some avatar martketplace stuff will be available for this game on the 22nd.

A pimp cane would be great.

Edit: I'm hoping the pimp cane animation from the game comes with this prop.

SR2XBLAvatars.jpg

Too bad I only have 100 MS points otherwise I would buy that pimpcane ( if it has the walking animation )

If I'm doing my math right, to buy the pimp outfit (hat comes separate) and the cane, it'll cost you $9. That's just crazy. If all that had been a bundle or something for $5 I would have bit, just to be funny.

I think this is the best thread to leave my feedback on the game (watch the title change to |OT| too!) Back last christmas I was given this game as a gift on the 360 by a good friend but never played more then an hour or two of the game, had a little fun then shelved it, biggest reason being that I also just bought GTA4 for £5 on steam at the time and was also trying that game out, I am lttp for both games.

Anyway, last few days I have been back into Saints Row 2 and now that I am nearing 50% complete all I can say is that it's the most fun I have had with this kind of game for a long long time, since gta3 actually back when the experience was fresh. The best thing I love about this game is that it blends in fun with a story which is rather entertaining, plenty of slapstick laughs around but at the same time some main story chapters play the serious card well. I love how if you bail from a flying vehicle you can freefall correctly, do stunts on the way down and if you wish use a parachute which seems to appear out of nowhere, but it works! All the added elements of silly things is what makes this game perfect.

Plenty of the buildings have full interiors too, the hideout and crew editor are great if you want to funk up the game a bit, Ninja homies? :lol

My one complaint is that the vehicles have too much grip and handle like go karts, I would love to see them slip a little more as they are extremely easy to control even at high speeds.

I want to keep playing it more but it's getting in the way of other things like finding a job! I would suggest to people who are thinking about buying this game still, go buy it already.
Neuromancer said:
Haha just found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4&

Someone stitched together all 6 different player characters singing along to Take on Me by A-Ha (something that happens more or less randomly with certain songs/characters when they're driving around). :D
This is amazing :lol another great thing about this game, it gives you an achievement too.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Yeah, the game is epic and holds up pretty well. A friend and I recently went back to pick up the Confidence Men 'cheev. It was great, but WOW does that take a lot of time to clear all levels of all Activities.

And sadly buggy game is still buggy. The patch cleared up a really big problem with completing missions in co-op and it fails to set the co-op flag in one or the other's mission history. But when we did the Activities, I started a new Save Game specifically so we would be able to see which ones we'd finished and which remained. Unfortunately my friend used an older save of his own, and the game popped the 'cheev for me, but not for him. Probably about 12 hours of gameplay for a 25 point 'cheev. Fortunately it was still plenty of fun.

Two weeks ago I played some good Strong Arm matches, but yesterday it was like a ghost town. Don't know if I'll ever be able to pick up enough Badges.

two things that really make it hard to play/get into sometimes

- Cars handle absolutely terrible ...and not even in an amusing way, just aggrivating

- World is so very very ugly. Tough to look at when you been playing pretty much any other open world game

Still chip away at this from time to time in coop though :D

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
The world is pretty far from ugly, though I don't think it's as atmospheric as GTA IV's Liberty City, or even Volition's other OWG, Red Faction: Guerrilla.

I don't see what you're saying about the cars' handling. If anything the earlier complaint about go-karts is spot-on. Every car seems to be defined by only three variables: weight, acceleration, cornering radius, and top speed. But getting to top speed is always a function of dividing the acceleration by the car's weight, so the game's trucks and vans are always gutless tanks, and the sports cars zip around like they're made of cardboard.

And even at top speed, every car drives like it's on rails, but the arc defined by those rails is defined by a bigger or smaller radius. On the other hand the much-maligned driving physics of GTA IV simulates a number of variables such as weight displacement, number of wheels in contact when accelerating, and I'm pretty sure acceleration is represented in front-, rear-, and all-wheel drive.

When I get used to GTA IV's cars, I prefer their depth, but when I want comic-relief, SR2's world, story, weapons, and driving physics are all at least internally consistent in their craziness.

MMaRsu

Anybody wanna get together soon and kick up some dust in coop? :)

AgentOtaku said:
two things that really make it hard to play/get into sometimes

- Cars handle absolutely terrible ...and not even in an amusing way, just aggrivating

- World is so very very ugly. Tough to look at when you been playing pretty much any other open world game

Still chip away at this from time to time in coop though :D

You have this on 360?

Alex

Picked this up for the co-op on a whim, played for about two and a half hour or so thus far, does it pick up specifically at any point or is it just safe to say early on that it isn't for me?

I'm just finding mission and world structure to be some of the worst ever and the dialogue seems to want to lay itself more on cringe-worthy seriousness than the goofy levity I expected thus far. For every joke, there's three straight faced cutscenes of badly acted ghetto talk about reforming the gang and things revolving it.

I have to assume it does get better, I'm just meh on it so far. At the moment it just feels like they took GTA4, smashed it with a sledge hammer, then put a pimp hat on it.

Alex said:
Picked this up for the co-op on a whim, played for about two and a half hour or so thus far, does it pick up specifically at any point or is it just safe to say early on that it isn't for me?

I'm just finding mission and world structure to be some of the worst ever and the dialogue seems to want to lay itself more on cringe-worthy seriousness than the goofy levity I expected thus far. For every joke, there's three straight faced cutscenes of badly acted ghetto talk about reforming the gang and things revolving it.

I have to assume it does get better, I'm just meh on it so far. At the moment it just feels like they took GTA4, smashed it with a sledge hammer, then put a pimp hat on it.
Probably just not for you.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Alex said:

If you're not into it in the first 90 minutes, assuming you're actually doing missions and activities, then it's probably not for you.

The game involves driving and shooting in an urban setting, but the number of things it does right in excess of GTA is substantial; you might want to try a little longer and see if you can pick up on them, find that it's a diamond in the rough.

Hey while we have this thread bumped, I wonder what the 3DS Saints Row game is going to be like. All I know is its called Saints Row Drive-by which sounds kind of funny.

Dennis

Banned
JAVK said:
Dam I just brought this game and read that it plays like shit on PC.

Who else is in this boat?
It plays awesome on PC - if your rig can handle it.

Played with 360 controller - perfect.

Dead Man

JAVK said:
Dam I just brought this game and read that it plays like shit on PC.

Who else is in this boat?
Can't help, sorry, played it on console.

DennisK4 said:

Not the most helpful post I have ever seen. I believe the hardware requirements would be what the first poster was referring to.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DennisK4 said:

I have a 5850 and an i5 750 and it still looked and ran like poo. It's just not a very good port.

Daigoro

no fair, you created the thread!

but yeah, ive ignored this game alltogether since it was released pretty much.

guess i cant really go wrong for $15 (especially since i have a couponn for it) :lol ill do it just for you then.

edit: i just randomly picked a page and started reading. found this:

FF_VIII said:
Wow, I didn't know this, but unlike SR1 you no longer need the vehicle for drug trafficking :D

I just called Vehicle Delivery and did all 12 levels with the bear, lol

guess i shouldve done that before asking. that pretty much sold me right there. :lol

Sullen

My ps3 controller doesnt seem to work right with the PC version. Anyone had experience with this? The game just endlessly tries to cycle through options in the menu when I hook up the controller.

Ledsen

Daigoro said:
360 version of this game is on sale for $15.

is it worth it?

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAF?

Only in co-op! Or wait, I'll rephrase: this is a co-op only game. Pretend the single player doesn't exist, and you'll have more fun than you've ever had with a game.

Alex said:

I assume you're actually playing it in co-op then? If you're not having fun, you might want to check with your doctor :D All jokes aside, just do some Insurance Fraud, then steal a plane and do a simultaneous bail out at maximum height, doing some tricks as you hurtle towards the ground watching the plane go down in a blaze of fire. You'll understand.

I'd like to be the voice of dissent here. Yes co-op in this game is better (as it is in most games). However the single player in this game still rocks.

Daigoro

good to know guys. got my 360 repaired and i get to try this game out for the first time ever today.

looking forward to infecting zombies with my pimpcane. or something...

MMaRsu

Daigoro said:
good to know guys. got my 360 repaired and i get to try this game out for the first time ever today.

If you want to play some coop later today, my gamertag is MMaRsu NL

Dead Man

Daigoro said:

Be interested to see what you think of it. I played it again for the first time in months last week. I still love the gameplay and controls, but the graphics have not held up well in light of other recent open world games. They were never awesome, but for the first time they were actually a distraction.

Daigoro

MMaRsu said:
If you want to play some coop later today, my gamertag is MMaRsu NL

cool. if we cant hook up today then definitly some time this week. ill send you a friend request.

i think i tried to do that back when we played Bad Co 2 with Relix but your list was full, or something. i forget what the issue was.

Dead Man said:
Be interested to see what you think of it. I played it again for the first time in months last week. I still love the gameplay and controls, but the graphics have not held up well in light of other recent open world games. They were never awesome, but for the first time they were actually a distraction.

yeah im not too hung up on graphics. not the games strong suit anyways from what ive read.

im just looking forward to some fun wackiness. it being $10 will help the cause as well. :)

Raide

How odd! I have just picked Saint Row 2 up today. One of those, got spare money and I want to buy something days. :lol

Is the Zombie thing DLC or an unlock?

Daigoro

Raide said:
How odd! I have just picked Saint Row 2 up today. One of those, got spare money and I want to buy something days. :lol

good question! i have no idea myself. dont really know much about the game at all actually. i thoroughly ignored its release and never played the first one. :lol

guess we'll find out soon.

MMaRsu

Hey thanks for the title change MODS

NOT. That line was awesome, why just remove it? Just put it after |OT| ????????

THANKS

:(

Dead Man

Daigoro said:
cool. if we cant hook up today then definitly some time this week. ill send you a friend request.

i think i tried to do that back when we played Bad Co 2 with Relix but your list was full, or something. i forget what the issue was.

yeah im not too hung up on graphics. not the games strong suit anyways from what ive read.

im just looking forward to some fun wackiness. it being $10 will help the cause as well. :)
Don't let my comments stop your from enjoying the game., I think it ranks only a very small bit below RDR for my favourite game this gen. It was just quite a contrast in graphical style going from RDR to SR2. The amount of stuff to do alone is worth the less than perfect graphics.

Daigoro

boo that mod!

Dead Man said:
Don't let my comments stop your from enjoying the game., I think it ranks only a very small bit below RDR for my favourite game this gen. It was just quite a contrast in graphical style going from RDR to SR2. The amount of stuff to do alone is worth the less than perfect graphics.

will do, thanks.

Raide said:

It's a minigame you can play at any TV, also there some arcade games here and there.

Daigoro

i absolutely love it. it actually had me laughing out loud often.

i couldnt get out of the character create screen without laughing my ass off and it only got better from there. actually taking that character i created and going forth into the world was a great experience.

it took me over 2 hours to get my first achievement (very unusual). i screwed around and got sidetracked so much before i bother doing any of the story missions. vey much unlike GTA5 where i felt like i was rushing through the story and wasnt overly compelled to go and screw around in the city.

i went to bed about 2 hours late because i didnt want to stop.

definitly looking forward to trying out some co-op. wont be home for about another 9 1/2 hours from now though. lets hook up if youre around.

i cant wait to play some more. :D

Hyunkel6

Just finished it 2 hours ago. What a great game. Took me around 30 hours which is really unusual for me for these types of games. They really took a different direction from the GTA series. It's just so easy to get distracted by all the activities or just messing around with the cars and weapons. And the level of character customization was just insane. Started as a regular male thug, and ended up as a female stripper. One-piece bikini FTW. :lol

I did encountered some bugs though, the worst being my character being stuck in a car's passenger seat. Happened to me 2 times, and had to reload a savegame.

There was also some frustrating moments during the last missions, such as when I would get immediately rammed by a security car as I was getting out of mine, lose 1/2 of my health, and just lay there on the floor as swarms of enemies calmly shoot the remaining 1/2.

I'm taking a break from the game, but I'll definitely get back to it for the coop. :D

Neuromancer said:
It warms my heart to see people enjoying this game, 2 years after it came out.

Me too. Loved the first, loved the second even more. Probably put close to 100 hours in the game because of the co-op, and all the crazy stuff they let you do.

GAF I've made a startling discovery today.

You can use a racing wheel (specifically the MS Wireless Racing Wheel) to drive around Stilwater in Saints Row 2.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

MacBosse

Neuromancer said:
GAF I've made a startling discovery today.

You can use a racing wheel (specifically the MS Wireless Racing Wheel) to drive around Stilwater in Saints Row 2.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

You mean I can drive my bitch friend around in co-op in my pimp couch with an actual steering wheel?

OH YES!

Dead Man

deVIZtator said:
Wondering if anyone is still playing this game? Just got it a week ago, and am enjoying it way too much.
I go back to it every now and then, I think it is a lot like GTA:SA for me that way. I kept playing that until GTAIV came out.

Striker

deVIZtator said:
Wondering if anyone is still playing this game? Just got it a week ago, and am enjoying it way too much.
I have it but have not played it in a while. Finished the story and some side missions. Will go back to it especially once we hear more news regarding the 3rd installment.

AliceInJam said:
Been looking for a good co-op game and this seems to fit the bill! How is the online co-op on the ps3? any issues?
Haven't played online yet, just fooling around with some activities and diversions.

MrHicks

Banned
saints row is one of these rare "copycat" games thats actually better then the original

i like saints1&2 more then even gta3,vice,san andreas etc
lets not even mention "lets go bowling" and "lets go play darts" GTA4

Top Bottom