• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 |OT|

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
After finishing all the barnstorms a couple days ago (good fun, that; some spectacular crashes when flying the biplane through the mountain's aqueduct tunnel) I stayed up too late last night playing this, thinking I was about to finish the stunt jumps. Sadly I only have 79 of 80. I hate that. There are 6 or so that didn't trigger the "N of 80 Jumps" notification; I probably did them earlier and forgot. But re-re-re-doing them isn't triggering the notification and completing the set of 80.

Is there any way of showing the found/completed stunt jumps on the map?

Offhand, I can't remember doing the Airport's truck-trailer ramp, and it looks like it should lead up the the roof, but no matter what I drive/ride, I can't get enough speed to get onto the airport roof, so that may be the missing one. Any advice?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
idahoblue said:
okay, just downloaded the DLC. Not impressing me so far. I haven't started the mission yetr, but it is a bit light on content. The new vehicles are nice, some cool cars. No new weapons I could see, most of the stores have 1 or 2 new items, some are good, some not. The mission better be good or I'm going to feel a bit ripped off. Oh well, still fun to fuck around with.
So better than the first one or no?

hulot

shrinkingviolet said:
After finishing all the barnstorms a couple days ago (good fun, that; some spectacular crashes when flying the biplane through the mountain's aqueduct tunnel) I stayed up too late last night playing this, thinking I was about to finish the stunt jumps. Sadly I only have 79 of 80. I hate that. There are 6 or so that didn't trigger the "N of 80 Jumps" notification; I probably did them earlier and forgot. But re-re-re-doing them isn't triggering the notification and completing the set of 80.

Is there any way of showing the found/completed stunt jumps on the map?

Offhand, I can't remember doing the Airport's truck-trailer ramp, and it looks like it should lead up the the roof, but no matter what I drive/ride, I can't get enough speed to get onto the airport roof, so that may be the missing one. Any advice?
Did you get the one at the end of the game? It's coming out of a tunnel during the last story mission.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Ah, yes, thanks. I did finish the whole game before embarking on the jumps and barnstorms and tags. That would have been an easy one to miss prior, otherwise. :D

What's bugging me is, I could load a new game, do ALL of them over again and make certain that I've got them by the camera-angle-change/text that appears, but then I'd have to redo so much of the rest of the game to get 100% completion. I'm at 90% without having done the CDs and Tags.

Actually, there's one helicopter race I'm not even certain I /could/ finish again -- that one near the Ultor condo just about killed me. I think I must have tried it 15 times before I got the lines right, and finished with 1 or 2 seconds left.

edgefusion

idahoblue said:
okay, just downloaded the DLC. Not impressing me so far. I haven't started the mission yetr, but it is a bit light on content. The new vehicles are nice, some cool cars. No new weapons I could see, most of the stores have 1 or 2 new items, some are good, some not. The mission better be good or I'm going to feel a bit ripped off. Oh well, still fun to fuck around with.

After their horrible and horribly overpriced first piece of DLC I'll think be giving this and future SR2 mission packs a miss. Volition obviously haven't grasped how to deliver good quality DLC.

Dead Man

XiaNaphryz said:
Better than the first, for sure. Still not really good enough, to me. The missions were okay, but pretty simple. The ending with Dex was a bit of a needless cliffhanger too.

edgefusion said:
After their horrible and horribly overpriced first piece of DLC I'll think be giving this and future SR2 mission packs a miss. Volition obviously haven't grasped how to deliver good quality DLC.
Yeah, which makes me sad, since I love their games.

Striker

DLC isn't worth it, but I do like SR2 over SR1. Tons more stuff to do and more vehicles/planes.

I wish games like these can get a decent online structure.

I tried once, but it lagged to hell. GTA was also putrid.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
XiaNaphryz said:

Yes. It's pretty much everything from the first game, taken a step or two further, and then they threw in all the R3 missions from GTA that were dropped for GTA IV, and included additional minigames in them as a cherry on top. Pretty much improved everything across the board.

The multiplayer /should/ be excellent. The new Strong Arm mode takes the "activity" style of gameplay (Snatch, Race, etc.) and makes teams compete in them. However, the only games I ever have been dragged into were typical DM garbage with lagswitch cheaters and team quitters. Still, nothing like the monkeys in SR1 who team-killed their way through all the Protect Tha' Pimp missions.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
FerranMG said:
A quick one: does the last DLC (which is free) add any avhievements to the game?
:)

The UNKUT Pack is just a bunch of clothes and tattoos, according to the Xbox.com Marketplace product description.

Keep in mind that of the two paid DLC packs Volition has released, only one of them added Achievements. Anybody know which one it is that adds the points?

Or if it still interferes with the ability to play the main game with people who don't have the DLC? (or was that just a filthy rumor?)

While this is bumped, no trophies confirmed. Oh well.
SR2 PS3 will not be getting trophies. The final decision has been made.

In addition to that, we just announced our 3rd DLC package, which will be free to everyone on PSN / XBL.

blogs/?p=576

Since this topic now has an official answer, I'm going to lock this down. I'll also add it to the first post.
Link

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
shrinkingviolet said:
The UNKUT Pack is just a bunch of clothes and tattoos, according to the Xbox.com Marketplace product description.

Keep in mind that of the two paid DLC packs Volition has released, only one of them added Achievements. Anybody know which one it is that adds the points?

Or if it still interferes with the ability to play the main game with people who don't have the DLC? (or was that just a filthy rumor?)

Yay, quoting myself!

I played some SR2 with a friend over the weekend, and while I had the UNKUT DLC, he'd not downloaded it yet. He couldn't join my game without having downloaded that additional DLC. His network connection is crap for download speed, so I quit my game, deleted the UNKUT Pack DLC, and restarted the game. He was then able to join with no problems.

Of note: Any Save Data created with active DLC becomes inaccessible once the DLC is missing or inaccessible. This applies to the above scenario, as well as anyone who plays offline on a console other than the one on which the DLC was purchased. You'll not only lose the DLC, but the ability to load your most recent saves.

Hootie

I'm wondering if I should buy the 1st DLC pack...is it worth it? I really want that SWAT outfit!

Also, I was playing earlier today and I got the "Still addicted to tha Row" achievement for playing 50 hours. I had no idea it even existed :lol

Dead Man

Hootie said:
I'm wondering if I should buy the 1st DLC pack...is it worth it? I really want that SWAT outfit!

Also, I was playing earlier today and I got the "Still addicted to tha Row" achievement for playing 50 hours. I had no idea it even existed :lol
The second one is better value, but if you really want that outfit, buy it.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Does the free UNKUT Pack add clothes for multiplayer, or just singleplayer?

I remember in SR1 the bonus clothes made it pretty easy to unlock the Achievement for 100 items of clothing in multiplayer.

beat the game months ago, but went back and started the "after you beat the game" mission and the dlc a few questions

the terra patrick one is dlc? what about the dex one with the nuclear waste truck guarding?

also, the "extra mission" after the ending is some cold blooded shit :lol

they so need to get roland kickinger to due a VA for one of the archtypes (arnold...) in saints row three, the game is like a ghetto ass version of the movie "Commando" as it is :lol

mrbagdt

i wanted to make a lttp thread, but those usually are annoying...

i picked up this game last week and started playing it this weekend, and i have to say that it is seriously the most fun i have had with a game in years. everything that i enjoyed in GTA3, the original, is exactly what this game has. the missions are FUN, the activities are FUN, i just find myself having a good time while playing and people that are watching usually have something to laugh at and it can be entertaining.

i know i am beating a dead horse here, but GTA4 was just so 'serious business' to me and focused so much on the story that i didnt do the mindless stuff which i actually enjoyed from the other games. sure, driving a taxi is dumb, doing the cop chases are dumb, putting out fires is dumb, but those were things i liked to do if i just picked up the controller and wanted to kill some time. those are all the same things that exist in this game!

i am doign it on normal difficulty, and that actually seems pretty easy so far, but i am still having fun. i am sure people will complain about it being choppy sometimes and slowdown occuring, but honestly, i dont really give a shit about that stuff if i am still having a good time.

anyway, thats all i wanted to say. i wish i had picked this game up earlier and now that the price has dropped i would recommend it to anyone who just wants to have some fun. i have not even stepped into any of the online stuff with it yet, i guess i need to read through this thread and see what people thought of it. this game gets two big thumbs up from me!

After trying this out in my immediate post-GTA4 days, I hated it. Washed out colours, derivative gameplay, immature sense of humour: Everything I didn't want in a 3rd person game.

However, whilst working through my backlog, I came across the SR2 disc, and decided to give it another try. I have no idea why, but I really like this game now.

Up for co-op on PSN: bonesmccoy

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone still play this game? I'm looking for someone to co-op with to achievement whore on the X360 version.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Wario64 said:
Anyone still play this game? I'm looking for someone to co-op with to achievement whore on the X360 version.

I'm playing out of GMT+9 (Japan), usually on in the evenings. PM me for Friend invite if that timing works for you.

Linkhero1

Wario64 said:
I'm not playing it now, but I need the achievements too. How long do you think it will take us to finish this? I am free Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Well finished the main story off yesterday. So good.

Best bits:

1. Pimp Cane. Ludicrously powerful plus you get to rock the awesome pimp-limp.

2. Was doing Heli assault listening to the reggae station. My wife told me to change the music, so I switched over just as Ride of the Valkyries started and powered thorugh the last two levels of Heli Assualt in some serious style.

3. getting attacked by a huge flock of rainbow pimps all at once.

4. Hilarious 'Gangsta' lines said in a dodgy British accent.

5. Massive fat guy in a white suit with Zombie mask = Zombie Kingpin.

6. Pimping every ride I get my hands on in more and more garish and unpleasant colours.

7. Samurai sword executions.

8. 300 Helmet. This. IS. SPARTAAA.

9. Throwing people. off bridges, off cliffs, into fires, down hills, in the sea, into their mates, in front of trains. Never gets old.

10. Ninja henchmen. Who teabag.

11. Car Surfing

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Nice list. My faves:
1. Dressing as a bright pink ninja, playing co-op with a friend and having him wig out because a bright pink ninja is throwing fireworks out the back of the truck as he drives.

2. Insurance Fraud in co-op, catching Adrenaline on the freeway, and gliding in slow motion past a friend in the air, like synchronized swimmers

3. Finally passing the damned "protect the celeb" missions, even in the (broken) cemetery map.

4. Getting a canary nearly all the way through the big canal/tunnel while completing the barnstorming diversions. Nearly.

5. Driving around, seeing a cop roust a prostitute, only to be descended upon by a gang of newspaper vending machine-wielding rainbow pimps.

6. Nailing the BASE Jumping diversion on the first try.

7. Stealing the SWAT tank (Bear?) and repainting them in Saints' colors.

8. Doing something to my hair.

Binabik15

So my Xbox 360 copy arrived this morning and now I´m trying to play it. Yes, trying.

The first two time after character creation it went into loading screen for 10 minutes with the loading not flashing. Only pushing the power button helped.

The third time it actually let me play until the checkpoint before the boat and started to "load" forever again.

Help.

Should´ve bought the 5 pound more expensive PS3 copy D:

Edit: Cool, now it started after character creation, but the map doesn´t show up. I just see the background buildings hovering in the distance...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Binabik15 said:
So my Xbox 360 copy arrived this morning and now I´m trying to play it. Yes, trying.

The first two time after character creation it went into loading screen for 10 minutes with the loading not flashing. Only pushing the power button helped.

The third time it actually let me play until the checkpoint before the boat and started to "load" forever again.

Help.

Should´ve bought the 5 pound more expensive PS3 copy D:

Never had any problems like that. Switch out the disc or you have a hardware issue.

Binabik15

dskillzhtown said:
Never had any problems like that. Switch out the disc or you have a hardware issue.

Tried to install it two times, said the disc (fresh out of the box!) was scratched or dusted. Not a single scratch, stain or hair on it D:

Okay, the (not so) few tries before it actually let me get on the boat, but after a short distance the whole upper part of the boat got stuck into the air, letting me ride on the rump. Without enemies. Stopping every 100m to load.

So my bug list includes

-not loading
-loading the character, but not the level
-loading the level but no other characters
-not letting me get on the boat
-letting me on the boat, splitting it in half

Fuck. And the little bit I get to play was actually much better to control than GTA4 and got me really excited :/

Now I have to

-return a video game because it´s not working for the first time ever
-return something I bought online for the first time ever
-return something I bought with a credit card for the first time ever
-return soemthing I bought outside of my country for the first time ever
-send a package to England for the first time ever

The game will get me quite a few new experiences in gaming, even though I can´t play it :lol

Oh, and this incident is the straw that broke the camel´s back. Now I´ll sell my hardly ever used Xbox. But that´s another live journal rant D:

And the fucking worst thing is that I´ll be pissed off the whole day because of a game that seems to be so much FUCKING FUN that it rapes GTA4 and its horrible controls, lame weapons and stupid characters in the eye sockets!

j-wood

so my girlfriend just got me this awesome game for my birthday, but I have a quick question.

How exactly does the garage car saving thing work? When you add a car to the garage, and later take it out, but never put it back in, after a day or something will the car show back up in the garage list?

I've noticed that I can take a car out, and it gets blown up or something, and it's not in the garage anymore. But after I load the game up again, it's back in the garage. Can someone explain how this works exactly?

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
If you save a car or unlock a car, it will be in your garage permanently unless you turn it in at one of the Chop Shops.

If the car is left somewhere, and the game has waited long enough to remove it from that location, it will reappear in your garage. If you end up loading a previous save, the game of course resets your garage cars since they're nowhere on the map.

If you've managed to destroy the car, it's immediately back in your garage in a damaged condition. Pay for a repair, and you can retrieve it immediately.

GrayFoxPL

Hi, got a question about food inventory.

When I hold inventory and use d-pad - nothing happens. I can see 4 food items, but I can't use them or drop them. I can't buy more food as it says the inventory is full.

Anyone know what's up? Some kind of glitch?

PS3 version.

God damn this game is awesome, its everything that GTA4 should have been, literally the perfect sequal to GTA3. Its all about fun and mayhem and doesn't attempt to be something its not, its a videogame and it relishes in that fact. There's always something to do and its always entertaining. Non shitty controls don't hurt either, being able to switch between a mouse and a controller as I see fit, sure helps.

My only complaint, and its a pretty major one, the game is a complete technical disaster. Literally an abomination in terms of performance on all three platforms. Unplayable on any dual core PC rig, and an embarrassing ~20fps with constant tearing and a 640p resolution on the consoles. The game needs a quad core PC but make no mistake, no matter how much Volition managed to mess up the PC port this is absolutely the best way to play the game. You can crank the graphics and view distance way in excess of the console version (and it generally won't effect your framerate either since its so CPU bound) and 1080p is always going to look a bazillion times better than 640p. Being able to choose between a controller and a mouse depending on the mission/situation sure is handy as well. Still, even with a quad core, you'll still get stuttering as the world loads a new "chunk" and whilst the framerate is better than any other version, its still really shitty (though playable unlike a dual core system, or arguably the console releases).

So, yeah, basically, anyone that's upgraded to a quad recently, go buy this game, you won't regret it, its right up there with Crackdown as the best sandbox title around. Both this and Crackdown totally "get" why so many loved GTA3, shame Rockstar has forgotten it.

Ploid 3.0

Wow this game just keeps on surprising me. Yesterday I was just messing around, gave all the pedestrians weapons and aggressive behavior. Then at night I ended up in the city with all the lights, tv billboards, and signs. I shot one, and it went out with sparks but stayed out as if it was an actual display. Then I shot a lettered sign (A, B, C, all different signs) and they came crashing down to the ground. This looks like it's a early version of the red faction engine. I can't imagine how awesome Saints Row 3 will be. There's so much destructible stuff in this game as is.

Still blown away at the awesomeness of this game. Hurry up with SR3 info but yea don't announce that you will be announcing when you can officially announce when you will show screen shots, videos, and demonstrations. Skip to just showing screen shots, videos, and demonstrations.

Edit: I wish this game had a XMB screen shot feature. Doubt it could do youtube upload.

In regards to this game surprising you even after all this time... I didn't realize this until recently but as you buy stores you can sometimes see ads for the store with your face up on billboards, saying 'under new management.'

Awesome game.

Phloxy

To anybody who wants or still plays this on PC after the sales they had.

Try out this sick mod
http://community.saintsrow.com/forums/topic/43953

It has tons of little changes and stuff of that nature. 1.6 version of the mod is coming soon.
If you have any friends you co-op with, all they have to do is install it as well, and you can co-op and all that good stuff.
Heres a fun gameplay vid I made using it.
Enjoy guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94IURhEmFI

Skip to 1:10 lol. LONG LIVE DA ROW!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Phloxy said:
To anybody who wants or still plays this on PC after the sales they had.

Try out this sick mod
http://community.saintsrow.com/forums/topic/43953

It has tons of little changes and stuff of that nature. 1.6 version of the mod is coming soon.
If you have any friends you co-op with, all they have to do is install it as well, and you can co-op and all that good stuff.
Heres a fun gameplay vid I made using it.
Enjoy guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94IURhEmFI

Skip to 1:10 lol. LONG LIVE DA ROW!

I will have to try that or SOMETHING out. My computer can run Crysis at max at 45-55 FPS, and yet SR2 runs at 20-30. Doesn't help that SLI doesn't work (I have a 295). Kinda makes me not even want to bother since I got it for free anyway I guess.

Phloxy

Yeah, the game working mostly is OS dependant. I have a super good rig but it ran like crap. Soon as I switched to windows 7 however it ran super quick.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Phloxy said:
Yeah, the game working mostly is OS dependant. I have a super good rig but it ran like crap. Soon as I switched to windows 7 however it ran super quick.
Hmmm I have Windows 7 too. I guess the only other benchmark I can give is its gets about 26-27k on 3dmark06. I'm sure I have to screw around and get SLI up and working and god knows what else to get proper performance but.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This was only in the first part, the escape I guess. It felt choppy so I popped on fraps and it was getting I guess in the low 30s dips into the mid 20s. And of course the second GPU wasn't being used.

MMaRsu

Anyone still playing this game? I still need to get the coop achievements actually and I'm sorta replaying it :p.

MMaRsu said:
Anyone still playing this game? I still need to get the coop achievements actually and I'm sorta replaying it :p.
I can blow through the co-op campaign with you, if you're interested (360 version). My gamertag's in my profile.

I think I've played through this game I don't know, at least 3 times, but I love it.

MMaRsu

Zero Tolerance said:
Bought this on STEAM when I upgraded my PC to a quad core, and ATi 5850, and it plays like a slideshow (Windows 7).

That's weird..u sure there's no fix for it?

Did you install this patch? click

Neuromancer said:
I can blow through the co-op campaign with you, if you're interested (360 version). My gamertag's in my profile.

I think I've played through this game I don't know, at least 3 times, but I love it.

I've put about 72 hours total into the game myself :p. Yeah I'll add you :)

According to Major Nelson some avatar martketplace stuff will be available for this game on the 22nd.

A pimp cane would be great.

Edit: I'm hoping the pimp cane animation from the game comes with this prop.

SR2XBLAvatars.jpg

Top Bottom