• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Altman fired as CEO of OpenAI

Salz01

I’m a bit shocked too. I like Sam. At the end of the day it’s probably something about a disagreement with money. With Greg quitting, just means he didn’t agree with them firing Sam.

Barakov

jim-the-office.gif

Blinking I See You GIF by shremps

hyperbertha

I’m a bit shocked too. I like Sam. At the end of the day it’s probably something about a disagreement with money. With Greg quitting, just means he didn’t agree with them firing Sam.
Why would you like him? Do you know how much pirated stuff he trained on to create remixing interpolators? And all for what? Destroying people's livelihoods?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
The tech tubes/entrepreneur tubes are having a meltdown/damage control/conspiracy fest.

so, because I am not that informed about all of this...it seems that companies pivoted so fucking hard towards A. I. that with such rapid growth some kind of "adjustments" have to occur. I think we are still now in the hype/fear cycle where it feels A.I. is going to dramatically change the world at any moment. but maybe (just like crypto/NFTs/Metaverse) things are about the to slow down and more realistic expectations are going to kick in

ahtlas7

Fired and replaced by “Ai”?

But really, to be forced out by the board is brutal leadership change in a booming business. Wonder what the truth is…

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Allegedly lost a power struggle with OpenAI’s chief scientist Ilya Sutskever over the long-term vision for the company.

Everyone was blindsided, including Satya Nadella.

Sam had allegedly been courting middle eastern oil money to build an AI chip division to rival Nvidia. He was going all-in on making OpenAI a juggernaut tech company for AI, which didn’t align with the board’s vision.

Allegedly lost a power struggle with OpenAI’s chief scientist Ilya Sutskever over the long-term vision for the company.

Everyone was blindsided, including Satya Nadella.

Sam had allegedly been courting middle eastern oil money to build an AI chip division to rival Nvidia. He was going all-in on making OpenAI a juggernaut tech company for AI, which didn’t align with the board’s vision.

Well, he will form another company. Especially considering that some senior staff will leave also with him.

Salz01

Why would you like him? Do you know how much pirated stuff he trained on to create remixing interpolators? And all for what? Destroying people's livelihoods?
I may be naive in exactly what he did in order to create models /programs. As far as tech CEOs, being the face and voice of disruptive tech he seemed likeable. A program like this was eventually going to come out whether it be Sam or Open Ai to do it. I think there was one even before ChatGPT. OpenAI just marketed theirs really good.

Danknugz

custom gots require anyone who uses them to also have a chat gpt plus account, i.e they are useless (unless you code a whole front end yourself)

Last edited:

E-Cat

Wow. Best guesses

2 - General AI was achieved but they wanted to keep it out of the hands of Microsoft. Hence Nadella’s reminder that they can access *everything*. This lines up with Sam keeping things from the board.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
There’s a clause that if OpenAI achieves AGI (as determined by the board of OpenAI), they won’t license it out to anyone, including MS.

Rumour has it, Altman wanted to not call it AGI to keep the revenue stream running.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

This is actually some crazy ai soap opera type stuff with the most advanced technologies. I can't wait to find out what happened and why.

drama-lion-king.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Imagine creating arguably the most amazing leap towards AGI in history and then getting kicked out of your own company by a fucking peasant like the owner of Quora.

Insane timeline.

There is something truly incredible in that the company that has created possibly the biggest leap in human intelligence implodes in the dumbest possible way.

I heard he just laid around smoking blunts all day on some dingy loveseat he found on the side of the road placed in the corner of his office

Being ousted from something you created, can’t sit well mentally unless it was self sabotage so he can go off and do something else in AI? Maybe he figured something out or saw something nobody else did.

Or take everyone who’s quitting and just establish another AI company.

It is mind blowing beyond belief that the goverance of a super advanced company worth 90B can be such a muppet show. Good lord. Like, what did they expect would happen?
Well, considering that the board itself was a bunch of folks and not C-suites, they probably did not expect the backlash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is mind blowing beyond belief that the goverance of a super advanced company worth 90B can be such a muppet show. Good lord. Like, what did they expect would happen?
Thats tech companies for ya.

Many of them have a good product out of nowhere and get giant market cap, investors money and popularity among the public.

At the office, it's run like a high school with immature people. Thats why in tech and gaming you get so many dude bro stuff, sketchy corporate cultures, childish employees, people intertwining their home life and work life, and every numbnut going on social media trying to be the most popular person with the biggest following...... hence as I said a high school mentality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom