• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Altman fired as CEO of OpenAI

Chittagong

Gold Member

Indeed:

EP1n5dS.png

What a fucking ride. Or maybe consolidating power was the plan all along and this was all a show

Last edited:

Biff

Given

Should submit that question to Quora and maybe their CEO will answer you.
I still don't understand how the CEO of a shit website, with UI from a decade ago, that is being single handedly disintermediated by the core product of the very company whose Board you are on, was ever invited to the Board in the first place.

If you gave me a pen and paper and told me to come up with a list of the worst possible Board candidates for OpenAI, I genuinely don't believe I would be creative enough to come up with the hilarious answer of "CEO of Quora.com".

Cyberpunkd

and every numbnut going on social media trying to be the most popular person with the biggest following...... hence as I said a high school mentality.
Man, I still remember the good old LinkedIn sales bros doing “stories” dropping truth bombs while walking in the traffic. I knew many of them, they were terrible salesmen at every company that ever hired them.

E-Cat

A source close to Altman says the board had agreed in principle to resign and to allow Altman and Brockman to return, but has since waffled — missing a key 5PM PT deadline by which many OpenAI staffers were set to resign. If Altman decides to leave and start a new company, those staffers would assuredly go with him.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The more I think of this, the more it smells like a play by Sam, Greg and Ilya to concentrate power.

They agree that Ilya persuades couple of the board idiots to back his ‘coup’, presenting himself as the tiebreaker. Three super intelligent guys can make a plausible rationale enough for a Quora CEO to bite.

All the investors and staff back Sam, but Sam only returns on his terms. Which is absolute power, and none of those non-execs. Maybe a Microsoft seat for the very cheap price of twenty billion dollars.

Watch what happens to Ilya, that will be the key.

E-Cat

The more I think of this, the more it smells like a play by Sam, Greg and Ilya to concentrate power.

They agree that Ilya persuades couple of the board idiots to back his ‘coup’, presenting himself as the tiebreaker. Three super intelligent guys can make a plausible rationale enough for a Quora CEO to bite.

All the investors and staff back Sam, but Sam only returns on his terms. Which is absolute power, and none of those non-execs. Maybe a Microsoft seat for the very cheap price of twenty billion dollars.

I just think Ilya practices what he preaches - he really is an idealist, and perhaps a bit of a decelerationist. That didn't gel well with Altman's commercial approach of too much, too fast. But I guess we will find out soon enough.

The dust hasn't settled yet, I don't know what's going to happen. But it would be hilarious if it becomes pro-profit due to all these events.

But I do think that Microsoft will get a seat this time.

Last edited:

Salz01

Thats tech companies for ya.

Many of them have a good product out of nowhere and get giant market cap, investors money and popularity among the public.

At the office, it's run like a high school with immature people. Thats why in tech and gaming you get so many dude bro stuff, sketchy corporate cultures, childish employees, people intertwining their home life and work life, and every numbnut going on social media trying to be the most popular person with the biggest following...... hence as I said a high school mentality.
I think more people should watch the Silicon Valley show. Think it’s on HBO. It’s pretty spot on, and touches what you wrote here.

-Minsc-

I 100% admit to being influenced by these facades over the past 20 years.

E-Cat

OpenAI Execs Invite Altman, Brockman to Headquarters in Push to Reinstate Them​

Two days after OpenAI’s board of directors fired him, Sam Altman is expected to join executives at the company’s San Francisco headquarters Sunday as they push the board to reinstate him, Interim CEO Mira Murati told staff on Sunday morning, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

OpenAI’s former chairman and president, Greg Brockman, who resigned from the artificial intelligence developer after the board removed him as chairman when it fired Altman, has been invited to join Altman on Sunday, Murati said. Chief Strategy Officer Jason Kwon told staff Saturday night that the company was "optimistic" about reinstating Altman, Brockman, and a trio of senior researchers who resigned in solidarity with Brockman and Altman Friday night.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Someone posted a tweet recently saying the board of directors is a mishmash of people from obscure industries not even tech related. Is that true?

Tams

In a surreal twist they brought in Emmett Shear as CEO. Altman is still out.

Shear is a huge decel AI doomer. OpenAI is done, lol.

I know many six year olds who can express themselves better than that.

FFS, my old English teacher probably would have given me a slap if I dared write that shite.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In a surreal twist they brought in Emmett Shear as CEO. Altman is still out.

Shear is a huge decel AI doomer. OpenAI is done, lol.

Altman had a bullseye on his forehead for probably few months. You dont fire a CEO and replace the guy two days later out of the blue. On a Sunday too.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Someone posted a tweet recently saying the board of directors is a mishmash of people from obscure industries not even tech related. Is that true?
Most of the time the tech bros don’t want much supervision because they want to “go fast and break things”. Having someone on the board understanding your industry and asking difficult questions is against that. Just look at who was sitting on Theranos board lol.

Most of the time the tech bros don’t want much supervision because they want to “go fast and break things”. Having someone on the board understanding your industry and asking difficult questions is against that. Just look at who was sitting on Theranos board lol.
Nobody on the board understands the industry. Bunch of clown.

On a separate note, OpenAI is done for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nobody on the board understands the industry. Bunch of clown.

On a separate note, OpenAI is done for.
WTF. Theranos. Just read it now. lol. On a side note I read up on my company's BOD. Most of them are in my company's general industry of goods. Of course none are from direct competitors. But the companies are close enough. Same daily grind. Just a different aisle of goods at Walmart. And there's a few offshoot BOD people that are more about finance and marketing.

Theranos’ board of directors

Part of what made Theranos such a big name in Silicon Valley was the people the company brought on for its board of directors. The company had notable figures from the worlds of both business and government as members of its board.

They included:

E-Cat

The biggest blunder in corporate history? Totally changed the game, well on their way to AGI, board promptly shits pants, kills company.

We are on the worst timeline in the multiverse
Well, now Microsoft has two AI teams.

Now the biggest question is how it will affect Microsoft's stock. That's the craziest part.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
WTF. Theranos. Just read it now. lol. On a side note I read up on my company's BOD. Most of them are in my company's general industry of goods. Of course none are from direct competitors. But the companies are close enough. Same daily grind. Just a different aisle of goods at Walmart. And there's a few offshoot BOD people that are more about finance and marketing.

Theranos’ board of directors

Part of what made Theranos such a big name in Silicon Valley was the people the company brought on for its board of directors. The company had notable figures from the worlds of both business and government as members of its board.

They included:

Pretty strange list.

Top Bottom