• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

That's super interesting. 150-175 was what I figured the subsidized price would be as it is in line with the original notes pricing and it is still competitive compared to the s3 and the I5. Considering the specs will be carrier agnostic it makes no sense to charge an extra hundred dollars and price yourself out of the market with both your competitors as well as the two most popular smartphones on the market.

My only thought is that rogers still has a bunch of notes lying around and is a bit gun-shy about the new note. But ti be fair, I suspect every provider has some notes lying around...

maybe a shorter contract? that's the speculation

I need to sweat this out. Hopefully it will reduce to 199 by end of the year if not S3 it will be. Will have to rock out with the Evo 4g until then...

i'm sure it'll be on sale on Amazon or Wirefly at some point... won't matter to me as i have SERO so i've got to get it at a Sprint store. but hey, i look at my bill every month and i'm okay with that.

2real4tv

i'm sure it'll be on sale on Amazon or Wirefly at some point... won't matter to me as i have SERO so i've got to get it at a Sprint store. but hey, i look at my bill every month and i'm okay with that.

Whats SERO? I get an employee discount, however I have four lines on my account and hate looking at my monthly bill.

Nvm, Grandfathered plan

Different philosophies. The GNII is a phablet, it seeks to combine the phone and tablet into a single device. The Padfone 2 is a phone which docks to a tablet shell and converts into a tablet. The GNII's screen is 5.5" which is definitely phablet sized, the Padfone 2's screen is 4.7" which is definitely phone sized.

It depends on what you want to do with the device. I think both philosophies are valid. If you frequently use both a phone and a tablet and really like the 10" tablet screen size, the Padfone 2 is a great idea because you don't need to maintain 2 separate devices. However the shell is useless by itself and you need to carry the shell with you which may or may not be something you want to do. A good use for the Padfone 2 and it's shell would be to leave the shell at home and dock it when you're at home. This means you are limited to phone function when you're not at home obviously. You don't have to take a shell with you if you have the GNII, but you are limited to it's 5.5" screen. The GNII has the S-Pen stylus as well, which you either think is a cool idea or a gimmick.

For the camera, 920 would be a better choice.

For the maps, it is a toss-up. Google is great with integration with public transport and points of interest. Nokia has offline maps and navigation.

Browser, I am not sure. Browser on WP7 was not an issue. Not sure if Chrome is/will be
available on the WP8 store.

You're asking for experience-based answers and nobody can answer definitively about a phone that's not out here yet.

Camera will be better on the 920, but maps are a function of how good the map is in your local area. Google is a solid bet, but you may find the 920's implementation just as good in your areas and even more enjoyable to use. who knows? it's not out yet. assume web browsers will all have a level of parity to them at this point.

The 920 is more of a gambler's bet. It's a bet that developers will start to give a shit about WindowsPhone and will bring the best apps that are currently on iOS and Android over to it sooner rather than later. Android is already getting a good chunk of the better apps found on iOS, thus offering a more flexible and extensible experience.

if you want to shoot photos and videos, 920 is the king.

the rest goes to the note 2.

thanks for the answers. I use nokia offline map and they work very good. Not sure how they are on windowsphone. Camera is huge part of phone buying. I will have to test out both and get review for 920 before i settle. Thanks.

The battery life on this is great. Was at 100% 30 hours ago. Voice calls, VOIP calls, played some Rayman and Dungeon Village, fetching emails every five mins on three accounts and I am at 59% battery remaining.

(It might have to do a bit with the fact that my cellular connection is 2G speeds at the moment, but most of the time I was on Wi-Fi anyway).

Radec

Finally got Opera (or any other app) available for Multi-Window

urnqI.jpg

:D

ttk

I got mine today, it is glorious.
But, for some damn reason, it won't vibrate when I receive texts.
Any ideas?

Edit: Bah, nevermind. Fixed it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I got mine today, it is glorious.
But, for some damn reason, it won't vibrate when I receive texts.
Any ideas?

Did you go to the message settings? Usually that's independent of vibration settings in phone....settings

darkwing

Damn those cats, using your Note when you're away!

I'm considering picking up the NII, I'll just wait for the Google conference on the 29th and see if they have anything more exciting.

yeah was about to get this one too, but rather wait for the Oct 29th to see what's up

Huggers

I love my Note 2. Had it a couple of weeks. I didn't think I'd use the S-Pen but I use it all the time. Writing texts and tweets is so much easier. I've had pretty much every popular phone over the last few years and I can't get enough of this one. Pure class to the point where I can even forgive Touchwiz

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Funkkkk!!

Whoops, I didn't even see this question!

Hmm..now that I've had some time with II, I can probably give my opinion:

- As for it being a worthy upgrade, I'd say you need to look at the most important aspects:
A. Size: it's a bit thinner - and that may not seem like much, but it makes a world of difference. it's easier to hold, pull out of pocket, and (if you're like me) fits into a cupholder while driving. The 16:9 ratio is better for media, but you do lose pixels since it isn't 16:10 anymore.
B. S-Pen: the pen is easier to hold, more accurate, more durable, and is simply better than the first. No contest. However, if you don't use the Pen, it won't really matter.
C. Speed: Come on son. With Jellybean, the II is miles faster than the I. However, since the I was already a speedy device the difference (and it IS big) may not matter much to you. Does to me though.
D. Camera: II. No contest. I still have a good camera, but its lacking in features.
E. Radio: I think the II has a stronger radio, or at least better programmed. I've managed to pull down 8+ on ATT's HSPA+.

Honestly, I'd say it's a worth upgrade. It's also depends on how satisfied you are with the Note 1. At least until you pick up a Note II, that is.

KillGore

So where will we be able to purchase one of those covers in the OP? are there videos with it on?

Also, will all carriers carry the "black" and white version? which one do you think looks better?

Edit: The Note 2 has google voice, right? since it has Jelly Bean?

Edit 2: Someone who has a Note 2 (Funk??), how does it feel taking phone calls? and does it fit on your pants pocket nicely? lol

maybe a shorter contract? that's the speculation

Considering rogers has the flex tab, contract stuff is out of the question. If they were still like bell which has flat term contracts, this would be quite the phone to buck he trend and all of the sudden do 2 years like in the states, woukdnt you think? Most likely a typo.

dejay

Banned
I've made quite a few people at work jelly over my Note II, including a couple of women, who I assumed would prefer a smaller phone or think it was ridiculous. However, when they're on the road on business they said they'd prefer to carry something that they could take notes on. I took out the s pen, jotted down a note and emailed it to one of them and she was pretty much sold.

I've found myself using the s pen much more than I thought I would. I no longer have to carry a pen and write stuff on my hand in order to not forget it. I even had reason to jot a note on the back of a photo I took of a damaged engine at work. I haven't yet used the split screen multitasking for any legitimate purpose, but I know I will sooner rather than later.

To me it really is a good compromise between phone and tablet if you don't want to carry both. It's the perfect road warrior device in my opinion and suitable, perversely, for those who want to carry less. The big battery, fast GPS lock on, big, beautiful screen, super snappy operation, Jelly Bean and impressive call quality go to make this a really great phone.

I don't really have any negatives, except Google Now seems a bit hit and miss in terms of if the commute cards are going to pop up. They seemed good on day 2 and 3 but they've gone flakey after that. I hope it's just a server side issue - I miss them already!

Credit goes to Samsung for taking a risk with the original Note. Credit again for improving it and adding real, non-gimmicky functions.

I don't really have any negatives, except Google Now seems a bit hit and miss in terms of if the commute cards are going to pop up. They seemed good on day 2 and 3 but they've gone flakey after that. I hope it's just a server side issue - I miss them already!

The commute cards will pop up at odd times initially, especially if you have a variable schedule. After a few weeks, they settle down after establishing a longer location history and pop up all the time when Google thinks you need them. I've been using JB on my Galaxy Nexus awhile now and because my shifts changed so often it took nearly a month to figure out exactly when I was traveling, mostly by popping the commute cards up all the time during the day and night.

dejay

Banned
The commute cards will pop up at odd times initially, especially if you have a variable schedule. After a few weeks, they settle down after establishing a longer location history and pop up all the time when Google thinks you need them. I've been using JB on my Galaxy Nexus awhile now and because my shifts changed so often it took nearly a month to figure out exactly when I was traveling, mostly by popping the commute cards up all the time during the day and night.

It will be interesting when early next year I'll probably be working at two different locations. I'm hoping the upcoming Google event will have some enhancements to Google Now, which I consider a good start.

Blackhead

Redarse

It will be interesting when early next year I'll probably be working at two different locations. I'm hoping the upcoming Google event will have some enhancements to Google Now, which I consider a good start.

Do you have a work calendar with your Google account properly set up (locations and times especially)? That would help Google Now quickly figure out the commute cards and adjust to any variable schedules.

I'm too lazy to set that up so Google Now commute cards are also useless for me :/

dejay

Banned
Do you have a work calendar with your Google account properly set up (locations and times especially)? That would help Google Now quickly figure out the commute cards and adjust to any variable schedules.

I'm too lazy to set that up so Google Now commute cards are also useless for me :/
No but I want to try that a few times next week.

Top Bottom