• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

God forbid a reviewer doesn't sound like he's on the company's payroll.

I prefer curmudgeon-y reviews. Every phone has flaws, the constant praise for these damn things is almost suffocating.

Aaanyway, I want this phone, but I'm completely befuddled by the network spectrum wavelengths and acronym soup. Is there a version out that I can get better than 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-mobile in the US? Or do I have to go through T-mobile directly (I'm not under contract and I don't really want to do that...)

I have spent the last two days trying to figure this out and I think I know where it stands.

T-Mobile requires 1700 and 2100 bands for HSPA+ speeds.

The international version of the Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) supports 1900 and 2100 bands so will be limited to 2G speeds on T-Mobile's network.

Now the good news is, T-Mobile is moving to 1900/2100 as well but slowly. A lot of major cities have moved. You will get HSPA+ speeds in those areas. T-Mobile has said they would move completely to new band by the end of the year.

If you want to make sure you will get HSPA+, call/chat with T-Mobile and give them your zipcode and ask if your area has 3G on 1900 band enabled. (The reps are aware of this and should have the information easily accessible.)

Alternatively, look at this crowd-sourced map for your area to get an estimate.

http://airportal.de/

Edit: I am worried about the T-Mobile version because of ugly carrier branding/bloatware and having to wait another 3 weeks or so.

You can buy the t-mobile phone un-subsidized.
Z8eH1.gif

Awesome.

I have spent the last two days trying to figure this out and I think I know where it stands.

T-Mobile requires 1700 and 2100 bands for HSPA+ speeds.

The international version of the Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) supports 1900 and 2100 bands so will be limited to 2G speeds on T-Mobile's network.

Now the good news is, T-Mobile is moving to 1900/2100 as well but slowly. A lot of major cities have moved. You will get HSPA+ speeds in those areas. T-Mobile has said they would move completely to new band by the end of the year.

If you want to make sure you will get HSPA+, call/chat with T-Mobile and give them your zipcode and ask if your area has 3G on 1900 band enabled. (The reps are aware of this and should have the information easily accessible.)

Alternatively, look at this crowd-sourced map for your area to get an estimate.

http://airportal.de/

Edit: I am worried about the T-Mobile version because of ugly carrier branding/bloatware and having to wait another 3 weeks or so.
Thanks.

Good call about bloatware, it's been a while since I got a new phone "through the system". I live the StL area, I'll see what I can find out...

Cipherr

So, this phone is also seemingly being launched across multiple US carriers without modifications to the body type, dimensions, screensize or any of that other nonsense.

Shall we assume that Samsung is just selling so many phones that they have the clout to do this across their entire phone SKU line? Because I could understand the S3 getting that priveledge after the huge amounts it sold, but the Note did very well, but didn't do S2 numbers, so why is it being allowed that same benefit?

cnizzle06

Banned
Thinking about jumping ship off the iPhone and getting this when it comes out. What's the difference between this and the galaxy besides the obvious (size,stylus, etc.)? It's the same OS right? So are tilt-zoom, 'bumping', and all those other neat features incorporated? Still concerned about the size, but I thought I read somewhere that it's smaller and easier to handle than the first iteration. Is that true?

kmfdmpig

Thinking about jumping ship off the iPhone and getting this when it comes out. What's the difference between this and the galaxy besides the obvious (size,stylus, etc.)? It's the same OS right? So are tilt-zoom, 'bumping', and all those other neat features incorporated? Still concerned about the size, but I thought I read somewhere that it's smaller and easier to handle than the first iteration. Is that true?

The Galaxy S3 is running ICS (4.0), while this is running Jelly Bean (4.1). The Galaxy S3 will likely get Jelly Bean soon. Jelly Bean has Google Now + is smoother and a bit faster.

Cipherr

Yes, all those features are on this device, including the latest features of the latest Android OS release, Jellybean (4.1). So the only difference with this device is the software is newer (a good thing) and the devices size and stylus, speed, and the screen technology is better on this one than the S3.

tigerin

So, this phone is also seemingly being launched across multiple US carriers without modifications to the body type, dimensions, screensize or any of that other nonsense.

Shall we assume that Samsung is just selling so many phones that they have the clout to do this across their entire phone SKU line? Because I could understand the S3 getting that priveledge after the huge amounts it sold, but the Note did very well, but didn't do S2 numbers, so why is it being allowed that same benefit?

the galaxy lines has been big enough to let samsung control the hardware of their phones. it's only second place to the iPhone after all. tbh, i like where this is heading.

cnizzle06

Banned
That all sounds great. It's just that size...

Are there any rumors regarding a new Android Flagship phone being introduced?

Maybe I should consider the S3. I just don't know.

Cipherr

That all sounds great. It's just that size...

Are there any rumors regarding a new Android Flagship phone being introduced?

Maybe I should consider the S3. I just don't know.

Only thing close to a flagship on the horizon is a new Nexus, there may be just one, or many of them from multiple manufacturers. We wont know until about the end of this month. In any case, if this is to large, just get the S3, its the same exact thing with a smaller battery, smaller screen, and no stylus. I mean, Jellybean will be rolling out for the S3 around the same time these start shipping in volume. Software wise (except the stylus specific stuff) they are the same device.

cnizzle06

Banned
Only thing close to a flagship on the horizon is a new Nexus, there may be just one, or many of them from multiple manufacturers. We wont know until about the end of this month. In any case, if this is to large, just get the S3, its the same exact thing with a smaller battery, smaller screen, and no stylus. I mean, Jellybean will be rolling out for the S3 around the same time these start shipping in volume. Software wise (except the stylus specific stuff) they are the same device.

But I like the stylus! And I think the multi-window thing is exclusive to this. I want it all!

I'll just hold off till I can get some hands on with it to finally decide.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Do any stores in the US have these on display to play with? I have an iPhone 5; and I love it. But the gadget lust is killing me!

True, but they did give Performance a 10, which is what JB seems to have brought to the table. As for Google Now improving the software, maybe they felt they needed to dock points for Samsung pushing that into the background and promoting S-Voice.

Either way, the phone looks like one of the best available options in the market.

One thing I do see in all these reviews of the Note 1/2 is that the reviewers seem to grudgingly admit to themselves that there are people who like very large screen sizes (though not without getting a dig in to mention that they are not sure why large screens in phones are popular).
that is one thing that KILLS me when I read reviews of sliding weren't keyboard phones. Reviewers just have to harp on and on about how much thicker it is due to the hardware keyboard.

Spinluck

I don't know if it's because I've been jonesing for this Phone for a while or what, but the Verge review really sounded as if the reviewer was begrudgingly giving the Note II credit.
There were a few points made about it already in this thread, but also, every other review states the external speaker is loud and clear with excellent bass, but the reviewer acts unimpressed. Every other review says call quality is excellent (when it's mentioned) and and improvement on the GSIII because the speaker and mic are closer to the ear and mouth.

Also, every other review can't stop talking about the extra custom apps in Touchwiz and this reviewer states "quantity not quality" or whatever. I like how the reviewer states that having 16 options is bad because "some of them he likes" and some can be trimmed. Why remove options? Other people might want those functions. Isn't it one of the advantages of Android that it's not one-size-fits-all? And NONE of the S apps add value to the user experience???

All of the reviews conducted in Europe show the HSPA to be faster than the One X and GSIII, not the case here, but different areas/towers etc.. Not to mention stating that South Korea fell in love with the Note 1 when everyone knows all 10 million units didn't just sell in South Korea.The S-pen improvements are only "purportedly" easier to handle.

and this gem:

Who would have thought to use the S-pen when reviewing a Galaxy Note??!??
I love the photo comparison of the Note II and One X screens and all of the black space between subpixels seen on the One X pic. It really sounds like the reviewer was pissed the Note II raped the One X in every department (besides screen). Same score as the GSIII except it's faster, comes with the latest OS, and lasts longer. OK

All that said, I'll stop my rant.

At least they're nowhere near as bad as Gizmodo.

Afrikan

I might be finally ready to *upgrade* from my Epic 4g. Gave my unused Epic Touch to my mother for her birthday.

I'm sorry but I'm a physical keyboard person...but it just seems like they will never go back to it now and I should just move on instead of waiting. :(

nib95

Banned
Was doing some accounting/finance work with my dad yesterday, and it dawned on me how damn useful this phone would be for business use. Especially scribbling over notes etc on the fly. Editing notes on top of notes, ticking certain things off etc even on the S3 is a tad cumbersome comparatively. Still, the question looms....is it worth the trade off for the humungous size? Decisions...

Mudkips

Banned
Was doing some accounting/finance work with my dad yesterday, and it dawned on me how damn useful this phone would be for business use. Especially scribbling over notes etc on the fly. Editing notes on top of notes, ticking certain things off etc even on the S3 is a tad cumbersome comparatively. Still, the question looms....is it worth the trade off for the humungous size? Decisions...

The humongous size isn't a tradeoff, it's the primary feature.

nib95

Banned
The humongous size isn't a tradeoff, it's the primary feature.

Yes and no. Yes when you're using it for certain things, no when you're using it for others (that don't require the size) or for general mobility.

Anyway, my dads getting one, I'll have a go with it and see if I might swap my S3 over for one. Right now I'm completely split down the middle, but very much love my S3. Either way, Samsung deserves major credit for this release.

i would have waited for the 7105 to be available personally, but the LTE still wouldn't have worked in the US. Hopefully you aren't on T-Mobile.

Will be OK with HSPA+ speeds and better battery life. Not really interested in LTE right now. If I do see a need for that in a years time, I can upgrade.

I am on T-Mobile and will be on 2G for another month or so. (Except when I am in SF or Chicago where I will get 3G).

I've never had a smart phone. My wee £15 pay as you go sits miserably underutilised.
But I've been thinking of getting one and this phone catched my fancy; the complaints of 'is it a tablet or a phone?' Fit what am looking for frankly and seems to offer a long term option in a smart phone.

Not sure if I'd use the internet features much on the go so thinking Pay&Go again; but what are the apps like on android? Would I find

Also Note fans; is it 'too big' for carrying around? I'd like to carry it in my bag most of the time; but how practical is it going out at night in a pocket?

Mudkips

Banned
Also Note fans; is it 'too big' for carrying around? I'd like to carry it in my bag most of the time; but how practical is it going out at night in a pocket?

It should fit comfortably in any pocket that isn't attached to skinny jeans or women's wear.
As for apps, there's more apps than you can shake a stylus at, doing all sorts of shit you didn't even know you wanted done.

It should fit comfortably in any pocket that isn't attached to skinny jeans or women's wear.
As for apps, there's more apps than you can shake a stylus at, doing all sorts of shit you didn't even know you wanted done.

Thanks. Thats good to hear, I'm looking to merge my phone and laptop for Uni work - so thats why the Note seems ideal (plus am a whore for a stylus lol).

I'll probably try and go and have a look at it instore; but am quite positive about this phone - its sort of expensive but all phones are these days and this one seems less expensive than some lesser models (hey there apple) and the extra price seems good to pay to upgrade from the S3.

Really interested in this phone! Currently have a Nexus S 4g on Sprint. Will be getting off this family plan shortly, though. I think I'm going to hop on the $30 prepaid plan T-Mobile offers with the 100 minutes and unlimited text/data. So once this phone comes out for T-Mobile, I think it shall be mine. Wooooo

I will need to purchase the phone from Best Buy though. It'll be off contract, and I have a Best Buy Credit Card, so I'll get at least 18 months financing with no interest.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has SwiftKey prediction built-in

Sure enough, in the keyboard settings on the Note 2, you can find options for "Predictive text." There's an overall on/off switch for personalization. And under that you see the familiar "Learn from ..." options. Sign in to Facebook, Gmail and Twitter, and SwiftKey (erm, the Galaxy Note 2) can learn from what you type.

oh snap!

Did the Verge review even mention anything on multitasking/split screen application use?

This imo is the best and most innovative thing about the device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66j_N9d6w6E
that omission could be excusable as they might not have gotten the OTA update that enables it before finishing the review.

God forbid a reviewer doesn't sound like he's on the company's payroll.

I prefer curmudgeon-y reviews. Every phone has flaws, the constant praise for these damn things is almost suffocating.

Aaanyway, I want this phone, but I'm completely befuddled by the network spectrum wavelengths and acronym soup. Is there a version out that I can get better than 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-mobile in the US? Or do I have to go through T-mobile directly (I'm not under contract and I don't really want to do that...)

indeed, obvious errors and omissions are the hallmark of great reviews!

I might be finally ready to *upgrade* from my Epic 4g. Gave my unused Epic Touch to my mother for her birthday.

I'm sorry but I'm a physical keyboard person...but it just seems like they will never go back to it now and I should just move on instead of waiting. :(

yeah, i'm moving on too... it's depressing seeing only mid range QWERTY devices nowadays... yeah, i really need the LG Mach (announced today) over the Motorola Photon Q... WVGA? QHD? really? REALLY!?

lg-mach-optimus-g-sprint-01-verge-1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Yeah, my ideal phone has a physical qwerty. But that form factor is apparently dead, so...

I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the LTE version (7105?) to appear for sale. T-mobile's network won't be up for a while, but (1) I usually hold on to my phones for a while, (2) it doesn't seem like it's going to be too much of a premium cost wise.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I've had it for a week, and I can give a couple of impressions:

Build quality: surprisingly, the Note II is well constructed. It's not Nokia-levels of toughness, but considering it's all plastic build, it's nicely tough. Granted I haven't dropped it, but knowing Samsung's reputation for cheap plastic builds, it holds up nicely. No squeaks, wobbles, and is generally solid. See here: http://youtu.be/mA0r7tc6V5s

Apologies for bro-ness of video

Call quality: From the calls I've made/received, call quality is clear and voices are distinctive. I'm on ATT's HSPA+ at the moment, so keep in mind YMMV. However, I do wish call volume was louder, as oftentimes I found myself activating the "call boost" option on the in-call menu. Again, ears are different, so YMMV.

Screen quality:
Really, really good. Colors are sharp, vivid, and lack the greenish-bluish tint that the Note 1 suffered from. You know the whole non-semi-pentile argument, so I won't expound on it, but you can really tell that this is Samsung's best screen.

Camera quality: a bit like the Galaxy S III. I've mostly included low-light pictures, since they stress the camera the most. See below:
http://i.imgur.com/EKt8u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EurOH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JEGzH.jpg

Pocket-ability:
It fits. Stop stressing about it.

That's all I can really comment on at the moment. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

sasimirobot

I have never owned or been interested in smart phones until I started reading about the Note II. Will keep an eye out for this when it releases in mainland China.

Thread subscribed

HKnightz

Build quality: surprisingly, the Note II is well constructed. It's not Nokia-levels of toughness, but considering it's all plastic build, it's nicely tough. Granted I haven't dropped it, but knowing Samsung's reputation for cheap plastic builds, it holds up nicely. No squeaks, wobbles, and is generally solid. See here: http://youtu.be/mA0r7tc6V5s
Looks like I know what else Michael cera has been up to. Seriously though, my interest is definitely piqued and I can't wait to try it out. Does anyone know when it may be coming out for Verizon and if there will be any differences? Thanks for the impressions!

adelante

That's all I can really comment on at the moment. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Your cat's so goddamn cute!

STILL waiting for a local release date here, i'm just wondering, would any earbuds with mic made with iPhones in mind work on the Note II?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Call quality: From the calls I've made/received, call quality is clear and voices are distinctive. I'm on ATT's HSPA+ at the moment, so keep in mind YMMV. However, I do wish call volume was louder, as oftentimes I found myself activating the "call boost" option on the in-call menu. Again, ears are different, so YMMV.

Screen quality:
Really, really good. Colors are sharp, vivid, and lack the greenish-bluish tint that the Note 1 suffered from. You know the whole non-semi-pentile argument, so I won't expound on it, but you can really tell that this is Samsung's best screen.

Camera quality: a bit like the Galaxy S III. I've mostly included low-light pictures, since they stress the camera the most. See below:

Pocket-ability:

But do you love it?

Spinluck

I was the same exact way for a while. But nowadays you compromise quite a few things if you choose one.

But with the Note II's screen size, I'm hoping that it won't be a struggle to hit touch keys aren't an issue. And I doubt it will be.

Screen quality:

Pocket-ability:

drop test, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Printed off a to scale version of the phone - surprisingly good size; its just not a worry (whilst offering functionality I guess other phones can't really offer). Fits in most of my jeans fine except a low pocket pair, but even then it only juts out a wee bit - something my wallet does anyway as its too fat.

So yeah - think am going to aim for this one; the price is good compared to other phones (very good considering the added stuff) but a phone is still a bit pricey for me. Will have to put some thought into the amount I'd use it and if a contract would really add value for me; will have to look at pricing options and all that.

But yeah am positive about this device now I've had a look at the size; hopefully try and see it in a shop too for a wee test; just need to ensure I actually need a smart phone :D

antispin

So I've been using the Note 2 for 4 days now. Not to gush or exaggerate but -- this is the best phone in the multiverse.

The multiview/multiwindow thang needs improvement. Was expecting drag-and-drop-ability, like from Gallery to Gmail, pour example. It's very limited as of now. OTOH, the pop-up Web browser is neat!

On the whole, the software experience is remarkable. First time with a 'galaxy that I haven't gotten rid of TW for another launcher. Really happy with the functionality on tap there.

mhayze

except no one buys the Avalon compared to Camry

Usually the flagship product is the luxury / elite / overpriced item in the lineup, and hence sells fewer items. The Mercedes SLS AMG Black edition sells a lot less than your average C300, but that doesn't make the C300 the flagship.

Spinluck

Printed off a to scale version of the phone - surprisingly good size; its just not a worry (whilst offering functionality I guess other phones can't really offer). Fits in most of my jeans fine except a low pocket pair, but even then it only juts out a wee bit - something my wallet does anyway as its too fat.

So yeah - think am going to aim for this one; the price is good compared to other phones (very good considering the added stuff) but a phone is still a bit pricey for me. Will have to put some thought into the amount I'd use it and if a contract would really add value for me; will have to look at pricing options and all that.

But yeah am positive about this device now I've had a look at the size; hopefully try and see it in a shop too for a wee test; just need to ensure I actually need a smart phone :D

Stealth brag, lol, jk.

Where'd you find that? I'd love to print it and try that out.

Stealth brag, lol, jk.

Haha sadly not - its just a cheap wallet :D

Where'd you find that? I'd love to print it and try that out.

I just created a canvas to the specifications on the Samsung website then folded the page around the image when I printed it:
griNL4.png

That should print out to the right size if you save then print.
[I printed through photoshop but this shouldn't be important]

Spinluck

Haha sadly not - its just a cheap wallet :D

I just created a canvas to the specifications on the Samsung website then folded the page around the image when I printed it:
griNL4.png

That should print out to the right size if you save then print.
[I printed through photoshop but this shouldn't be important]

Thanks, lol.

This thing is HUGE!

And the colours are glorious.

smrGk.jpg

Well I'll be.

Nice pic to sample the phones screen btw.

nib95

Banned
Using this to type now. Im in love. Typing one handed just fine. Speed is insane. Stylus is incredibly responsive and the screen corrects every S3 wrong. Proper whites, no black crush, brighter overall, and with natural mode set the colours and contrast show every colour and shade on the Lagom lcd test site. Tempted to trade my s3 for it...

Anyone know how to use split screen multitasking? Can't figure it out!

Using this to type now. Im in love. Typing one handed just fine. Speed is insane. Stylus is incredibly responsive and the screen corrects every S3 wrong. Proper whites, no black crush, brighter overall, and with natural mode set the colours and contrast show every colour and shade on the Lagom lcd test site. Tempted to trade my s3 for it...

did your device receive the update that enables it?

Just ran the update and the feature started working. It is really smooth.

Go to 'Settings > About Device > Software Update > Update' and run the update.

Now, after the update, hold the capacitive back button for a couple of seconds and the task bar pops up. Hold it again to dismiss the task bar.

gLsfS.png

How does the size feel?

BTW they announced that it's coming out Oct. 30th in Canada.

Top Bottom