• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

nib95

Banned
Just ran the update and the feature started working. It is really smooth.

Go to 'Settings > About Device > Software Update > Update' and run the update.

Now, after the update, hold the capacitive back button for a couple of seconds and the task bar pops up. Hold it again to dismiss the task bar.

gLsfS.png

How do you get the side tab to show?

Size is big, but not uncomfortably so.

nib95

Banned
Tested S beam with my S3. A 65mb 30 sec video took about 7 seconds to send. Pretty awesome and very hassle free.

S3 is still slightly quicker at certain tasks. Deleting photos or rapidly scrolling through the gallery for example.

nib95

Banned
Well, decided to keep my S3 and not swap it for the Note II. It dawned on me that I'm not really likely to use the stylus all that much, and as much as I love the split screen multitasking, not sure for me personally it's worth it for the size and more importantly, weight trade off. But if you're not as fussed about weight/size, nor shallow like me, you might much prefer it.

After comparing extensively with my S3 and the iPhone 5, it dawned on me that mobile tech is sort of at a point of near parity. A big hoo ha is made about otherwise small things, like pentile, whites, blacks and all the rest, but when it comes down to it there's little separating them. Ok, so the Note II's screen is a bit better than the S3's, but I don't think you'd really notice the difference unless you were really seeking it out or pixel peeping. I actually think many consumers will prefer the S3's, purely because it's a bit more punchy and has ever so slightly more obtuse shadow detailing. Even the whites thing is blown way out of proportion.

I also found that when comparing web pages etc, my eye sight is still good enough that I can make out the same tiny texts on both the S3 and Note II, so the extra screen size didn't magically make illegible text legible, no matter how small the text, it just made it a bit more comfortable to read, or allow me to view pages at a further distance from my face. End of the day, they're both still 720p.

Aside from that, the S3 is still marginally more snappy in certain things. Not with the UI thanks to JB, but certain apps. Even web browsing at times by a hairs fraction (with flash support, which imo still comes in handy), and my S3 is not even on the Jelly Bean update yet.

JB on the Note II with general UI use though, with transition, window and animator scale set to 0.5x in developer options, is among the smoothest and quickest OS I've used.

Also, the camera seems the same as the S3's, though I did a low light test with the iPhone 5, and honestly, I felt the S3 and Note II came out on top every time. I don't know if it was the scenario or what, but whilst the iPhone 5's shots were ever so slightly brighter, they were much noisier and less detailed than the Samsung counterparts, so I'm not sure what's up.

Anyway, thinking of filming an extensive comparison video between the S3, Note II and iPhone 5 on my DSLR, but figure I'll wait till the official UK S3 JB update is out. If I can be bothered lol.

EDIT: One thing to add, the Note II's loud speaker blows away the S3 and iPhone 5's. It's louder and bassier. In-fact, I was quite surprised at how well it did hip hop. If you use Navigation a lot, you may want to consider the Note II over anything else because that huge screen coupled with that very loud and clear (by mobile standards) loud speaker should be ideal.

Radec

So I went to the mall earlier to check out something. Then I stumbled an S3, iPhone 5, and the GNII. After an hour, I went home with this.

QVXwF.jpg

Fuck the iPhone 5 and SIII.

This is 2012's best phone.

Radec

How do you update it btw?

Ive tried to update it in the "about pHONE" and IT JustSay Access To THE SOFTWARE update Is inORDER In WHICH THEY ARE REQUESTED"

:p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How do you update it btw?

Ive tried to update it in the "about pHONE" and IT JustSay Access To THE SOFTWARE update Is inORDER In WHICH THEY ARE REQUESTED"

:p

Settings --> About device --> Software update

what build number do you have? The latest (official) is XXALJ1

antispin

Anyone else experience lag while scrolling through the gallery? I think it's because of the Dropbox integration but not sure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Funk: Can you talk about moving from Note 1 to 2? Worthwhile upgrade?

Well, decided to keep my S3 and not swap it for the Note II. It dawned on me that I'm not really likely to use the stylus all that much, and as much as I love the split screen multitasking, not sure for me personally it's worth it for the size and more importantly, weight trade off. But if you're not as fussed about weight/size, nor shallow like me, you might much prefer it.

After comparing extensively with my S3 and the iPhone 5, it dawned on me that mobile tech is sort of at a point of near parity. A big hoo ha is made about otherwise small things, like pentile, whites, blacks and all the rest, but when it comes down to it there's little separating them. Ok, so the Note II's screen is a bit better than the S3's, but I don't think you'd really notice the difference unless you were really seeking it out or pixel peeping. I actually think many consumers will prefer the S3's, purely because it's a bit more punchy and has ever so slightly more obtuse shadow detailing. Even the whites thing is blown way out of proportion.

I also found that when comparing web pages etc, my eye sight is still good enough that I can make out the same tiny texts on both the S3 and Note II, so the extra screen size didn't magically make illegible text legible, no matter how small the text, it just made it a bit more comfortable to read, or allow me to view pages at a further distance from my face. End of the day, they're both still 720p.

Aside from that, the S3 is still marginally more snappy in certain things. Not with the UI thanks to JB, but certain apps. Even web browsing at times by a hairs fraction (with flash support, which imo still comes in handy), and my S3 is not even on the Jelly Bean update yet.

JB on the Note II with general UI use though, with transition, window and animator scale set to 0.5x in developer options, is among the smoothest and quickest OS I've used.

Also, the camera seems the same as the S3's, though I did a low light test with the iPhone 5, and honestly, I felt the S3 and Note II came out on top every time. I don't know if it was the scenario or what, but whilst the iPhone 5's shots were ever so slightly brighter, they were much noisier and less detailed than the Samsung counterparts, so I'm not sure what's up.

Anyway, thinking of filming an extensive comparison video between the S3, Note II and iPhone 5 on my DSLR, but figure I'll wait till the official UK S3 JB update is out. If I can be bothered lol.

EDIT: One thing to add, the Note II's loud speaker blows away the S3 and iPhone 5's. It's louder and bassier. In-fact, I was quite surprised at how well it did hip hop. If you use Navigation a lot, you may want to consider the Note II over anything else because that huge screen coupled with that very loud and clear (by mobile standards) loud speaker should be ideal.

GREAT POST DUDE.
Just wanted to say Thank You.
Very informative, and well said.

Radec

Finally rooted and installed custom fw.

It just sucks that Opera doesnt have multi window support. :/

How do you fast scroll in chrome? Browsing neogaf mobile there is a pain in the ass.

How does the size feel?

BTW they announced that it's coming out Oct. 30th in Canada.

Oh really? Nice. I'm already set on this phone, so I should be getting it shortly. Bell has a subsidized account program so I get cheap phones, probably end up picking this up for around 350 tax in.

I use map, web browser and camera a lot. Should go with this or 920? How small is 920 compared to this? I know map on nokia is better and free. I do not use apps other than mail ( yahoo and hotmail)

I use map, web browser and camera a lot. Should go with this or 920? How small is 920 compared to this? I know map on nokia is better and free. I do not use apps other than mail ( yahoo and hotmail)

For the camera, 920 would be a better choice.

For the maps, it is a toss-up. Google is great with integration with public transport and points of interest. Nokia has offline maps and navigation.

Browser, I am not sure. Browser on WP7 was not an issue. Not sure if Chrome is/will be
available on the WP8 store.

You're asking for experience-based answers and nobody can answer definitively about a phone that's not out here yet.

Camera will be better on the 920, but maps are a function of how good the map is in your local area. Google is a solid bet, but you may find the 920's implementation just as good in your areas and even more enjoyable to use. who knows? it's not out yet. assume web browsers will all have a level of parity to them at this point.

The 920 is more of a gambler's bet. It's a bet that developers will start to give a shit about WindowsPhone and will bring the best apps that are currently on iOS and Android over to it sooner rather than later. Android is already getting a good chunk of the better apps found on iOS, thus offering a more flexible and extensible experience.

kmfdmpig

Has anyone used Kies Air?
My current phone is rooted, so I use (and love) Samba Fileshare. Is Kies Air similar enough? I would like to be able to transfer (wirelessly) many files at once and am hoping that Kies is good enough to do so as I don't want to root right away.

Android is already getting a good chunk of the better apps found on iOS, thus offering a more flexible and extensible experience.

With the exception of games, Android and iOS are pretty much at parity these days in terms of app selection. iOS does still tend to get new apps first, because it's easier to develop for, but I can't think of a big non-game app which iOS somehow has which Android doesn't and won't because the developer isn't actually developing an Android version.

surly

Banned
Has anyone used Kies Air?
My current phone is rooted, so I use (and love) Samba Fileshare. Is Kies Air similar enough? I would like to be able to transfer (wirelessly) many files at once and am hoping that Kies is good enough to do so as I don't want to root right away.
Kies worked fine for me up until the latest update. Now when I use it, everything works fine the first time I use it, but on subsequent times my phone won't connect to it. Reinstalling Kies fixes it, but only for the first time I use it, then it won't connect again.

There are other apps you can use for transferring files wirelessly, such as Wi-Fi File Explorer Pro or Airdroid (and several others) if you have issues with Kies though.

kmfdmpig

Kies worked fine for me up until the latest update. Now when I use it, everything works fine the first time I use it, but on subsequent times my phone won't connect to it. Reinstalling Kies fixes it, but only for the first time I use it, then it won't connect again.

There are other apps you can use for transferring files wirelessly, such as Wi-Fi File Explorer Pro or Airdroid (and several others) if you have issues with Kies though.

Thanks! Airdroid looks perfect for what I need. For some reason I didn't think there were alternatives to Samba that worked with an unrooted phone. I'm looking forward to the Note 2 more and more now.

Radec

if you want to shoot photos and videos, 920 is the king.

the rest goes to the note 2.

dejay

Banned
My Note 2 turned up dutifully at work today. I moved my sim to this phone and I've been getting to know it ever since. So far it's beautiful and rock solid. I have to move my sim back to the old phone (GSII) temporarily at some point to move some stuff over but I really don't want to, not even for a minute.

There were a couple of hitches the first time I ran something, but ever since it's very smooth. Dual screen multitasking works brilliantly and Touch Wiz is definitely getting better, although I can't help feeling that there is a lot of wasted real estate sometimes.

As I was typing this I got my first call and the speaker phone was nice and clear. I look forward to getting right into in the coming days - in particular Google Now, which I've only delved into a couple of times but already it feels like it is beginning to know me more than I know it.

CiSTM

Banned
Work mate bought one and was showing off during coffee break... I'm so jelly :(
I really need this, just for the multi window function since I'm always everywhere else except at my desk when someone calls and I usually need to take notes. I'm still going to wait for the first price drop, 650€ is cheapest one here and I assume it will be 599€ soon as we hit January.

Angst

My Note 2 turned up dutifully at work today. I moved my sim to this phone and I've been getting to know it ever since. So far it's beautiful and rock solid. I have to move my sim back to the old phone (GSII) temporarily at some point to move some stuff over but I really don't want to, not even for a minute.

There were a couple of hitches the first time I ran something, but ever since it's very smooth. Dual screen multitasking works brilliantly and Touch Wiz is definitely getting better, although I can't help feeling that there is a lot of wasted real estate sometimes.

As I was typing this I got my first call and the speaker phone was nice and clear. I look forward to getting right into in the coming days - in particular Google Now, which I've only delved into a couple of times but already it feels like it is beginning to know me more than I know it.

Please don't tell me that you're going to copy your contacts to your sim card... Anyway, no need to put the sim card back in the GS2, contacts can and should be in gmail, files can be bluetoothed from one device to the other (no need for a sim), texts can be backed up using a sms backup app and then transfer the xml file to dropbox.

dejay

Banned
Funny - Firefox seems to handle GIFs better than Chrome; can the mobile and PC versions of Chrome be so similar in this regard?

Oh, and anyone worrying about looking stupid when using it as a phone - I grew up with these (below) so the Note 2 only looks slightly larger than a "normal" smartphone to my eyes.

APEJG.jpg

Please don't tell me that you're going to copy your contacts to your sim card... Anyway, no need to put the sim card back in the GS2, contacts can and should be in gmail, files can be bluetoothed from one device to the other (no need for a sim), texts can be backed up using a sms backup app and then transfer the xml file to dropbox.

I'm not that dense or senile yet :) All my contacts, photos, dropbox and evernote stuff is already setup and working, but I'm sure there's going to be something I'll need the sim for!?!??...

To be honest I've never used a phone without a sim so I might try moving everything that's left without it as per your suggestion. I've got an app that backs up files as well as SMSs so I might do it all in one go.

Radec

man, adding a screen protector to this beast is a crime.

the feeling isnt the same. the smoothness is really great on the fingers barenaked.

Angst

I'm not that dense or senile yet :) All my contacts, photos, dropbox and evernote stuff is already setup and working, but I'm sure there's going to be something I'll need the sim for!?!??...

To be honest I've never used a phone without a sim so I might try moving everything that's left without it as per your suggestion. I've got an app that backs up files as well as SMSs so I might do it all in one go.

Sounds good :)

Honestly I've tried explaining to so many friends why it's a bad idea to store their contacts on the sim only, but some refuse to listen, only to whine when their phones get stolen/misplaced. "All my contacts have been lost, please send me your phone number on facebook!"

dejay

Banned
Sounds good :)

Honestly I've tried explaining to so many friends why it's a bad idea to store their contacts on the sim only, but some refuse to listen, only to whine when their phones get stolen/misplaced. "All my contacts have been lost, please send me your phone number on facebook!"

I've been preaching cloud stuff to my friends and relatives for yonks.

Me - Check this out - I don't have to worry about losing contacts and I can access them from any computer and when you switch phones your contacts are there within seconds.

Them - Cool [aside]Whatever nerd.

Months later....

Them - Can you help me retrieve my contacts, I lost them and I can't sync with iTunes.

Me - Sure [aside]Fucking knew it!

Is there one or two SIM card places in Note 2?

One

man, adding a screen protector to this beast is a crime.

the feeling isnt the same. the smoothness is really great on the fingers barenaked.

You need to buy better screen protectors. Yes, the expensive ones actually are better.

I hope Samsung are a bit more timely with releasing the 64 GB version of GNII. The 64 GB version of GSIII is still not available! It might as well be a myth at this point.

Radec

^ i mean naked screen feels much better than having a screen protector on it.

ive tried those cheap thin protectors, matte, and invisible shield.

CiSTM

Banned
I missed my chance to ask my work friend about this. When you answer a call and pull out the spen, does the multiwindow function jump in action right away? Meaning I could put my phone on speaker and write down notes I need. Or do I need to launch the multiwindow app first?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I missed my chance to ask my work friend about this. When you answer a call and pull out the spen, does the multiwindow function jump in action right away? Meaning I could put my phone on speaker and write down notes I need. Or do I need to launch the multiwindow app first?

You need to open multi-window first. When you pull the S-Pen out during a phone call, S-Note starts instead.

ttk

Just got a text, apparently I will get mine tomorrow.
Four days ago, I was told I would have to wait until week 44. Not that I'm complaining!

I've got quite small hands, though, so I'm a a bit nervous I'll have some trouble with it. It felt fine when I tried it out in a store, but that was only for a few minutes.

Bah, it was time to upgrade anyway, and it's only for two years..
Positive thinking is the key to success.

That's super interesting. 150-175 was what I figured the subsidized price would be as it is in line with the original notes pricing and it is still competitive compared to the s3 and the I5. Considering the specs will be carrier agnostic it makes no sense to charge an extra hundred dollars and price yourself out of the market with both your competitors as well as the two most popular smartphones on the market.

My only thought is that rogers still has a bunch of notes lying around and is a bit gun-shy about the new note. But ti be fair, I suspect every provider has some notes lying around...

Top Bottom