• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Angst

Debating whether to get the note or the s3.

I'm not big fan of touchwiz, but I suspect that if I flash another rom I'll lose a lot of the note 2 unique features, like s-pen, multi-view etc. If I go the cm-based rom route I'll most likely lose MHL as well, which is something that as always annoyed me with my current s2.

If I stay with stock rom, but use Nova for more icons on the home screens etc, but multi-view will still work? If so I'll have to debate whether or not I can live with TW's remaining ugliness or not...

I realise the same things apply with the S3, but for some reason I feel that using CM on the S3 doesn't take away as much as on the note...

All this points to picking up the nexus, but I'm not attracted at all to it sadly... :-(

CoilShot

So I went to the store to check it out and came out with a new galaxy note II. I used to own a Galaxy Note 1 before and I got rid of it for an iPhone 4S
Shouldn't have done this
.The screen they give you on this phone is simply marvelous. Now I realize the screen size isn't for everyone but this thing is simply amazing for watching movies/tv shows or even making memos on. After using the phone for 5 mins I forgot about the main thing that made android awesome was... CUSTOMIZATION! I wasn't going to buy it but they offered me a $50 credit on my account plus the phone itself was cheaper then their website.

Vandiger

I'm stuck with Verizon and its BS practices(locked bootloader, delayed launch, verizon branding, etc.). Can't wait to know what google has planned.

So I went to the store to check it out and came out with a new galaxy note II. I used to own a Galaxy Note 1 before and I got rid of it for an iPhone 4S
Shouldn't have done this
. The screen they give you on this phone is simply marvelous. Now I realize the screen size isn't for everyone but this thing is simply amazing for watching movies/tv shows or even making memos on. After using the phone for 5 mins I forgot about the main thing that made android awesome was... CUSTOMIZATION! I wasn't going to buy it but they offered me a $50 credit on my account plus the phone itself was cheaper then their website.

This is why I'm really considering getting the Note II myself. I'm not a big fan of typing or browsing the web on my current phone (an old Samsung Infuse), but this thing has the screen size and resolution that should make it much easier to use (not to mention using the stylus instead of my giant fingers to click on links).

I look at all the different tablet options that are out there, but I think that a larger phone is a much better solution for what I would use a tablet for (web browsing/videos). Plus it's a phone!

I need to see when I'm eligible to upgrade my phone, I think I'm only at like 13 months or something on my current one. :(
I'd love to get a good, powerful android phone.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Totally sold. And that is just the original Galaxy Note. Part 2 must be twice as awesome.

galaxynote-craigslist-post.jpg

tigerin

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ETC-TT1G6NGSTA

Basically tag you program to do specific things like turn on wifi and stream music or whatever
That sounds amazing!
I just ordered these today. This coupon code gives you 50% off everything (Accessories) on the Samsung store.

rE155266e
That's a really good deal especially how much the original prices are. Too bad they don't have flip covers right now.

dejay

Banned
This is why I'm really considering getting the Note II myself. I'm not a big fan of typing or browsing the web on my current phone (an old Samsung Infuse), but this thing has the screen size and resolution that should make it much easier to use (not to mention using the stylus instead of my giant fingers to click on links).

I look at all the different tablet options that are out there, but I think that a larger phone is a much better solution for what I would use a tablet for (web browsing/videos). Plus it's a phone!

I need to see when I'm eligible to upgrade my phone, I think I'm only at like 13 months or something on my current one. :(
I'd love to get a good, powerful android phone.

Flipboard comes preinstalled on the device and it really shines on the big screen.

I used to use a tablet in bed, but mostly I browse on this phone. After almost two weeks with the device, I can say that I haven't felt so attached to a piece of consumer electronics since my 20GB click-wheel iPod.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How is the US Galaxy Fucking Note II not shipping with the multi-window update? It was released for the International GFNII before the US ones even launched!

Yah, and US carriers and Android in general is so well known for the quickness that they release updates!

How is the US Galaxy Fucking Note II not shipping with the multi-window update? It was released for the International GFNII before the US ones even launched!

I'm pretty positive that the international one didn't launch with it either. An update came shortly after launch to remedy that situation. Here's hoping it's the exact same thing in the US

Bad news for Sprint users. It has now been confirmed that Sprint GFNII does not support SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) over 3G. You need to be in an LTE area for voice over 3G and data over LTE. The GFNII fundamentally uses a similar design concept to the iPhone 5 in terms of antennas. As with the iP5, an additional antenna could not be fitted in the device just for the Sprint and Verizon versions of the devices, and so SVDO over 3G/CDMA is impossible.

As a side note, the reason the US GSIII have SVDO over 3G on Sprint and Verizon is because the US GSIII uses Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 with the integrated LTE modem instead of Exynos + additional LTE modem. By using Exynos in all versions of GFNII, this issue is created for that phone which doesn't exist in the US GSIII. I'm not smart enough to properly understand and explain why exactly this is the case, but this blog post about the Sprint GFNII explains it well.

For Verizon users, who have LTE in over 450 markets covering 75% of the US population, this isn't that big a deal. You will get voice over 3G and data over CDMA. One advantage of having Verizon 4G LTE on your Verizon GFNII, I suppose. It even makes the astonishing Verizon button on our Verizon GFNIIs almost bearable.

For AT&T users outside of an LTE area, you still get SVDO over 3G+HSPA, the same as it has always been for people on GSM networks. For T-Mobile users, this whole post is entirely irrelevant to you since T-Mobile has not begun deployment of LTE.

Verizon

Bad news for Sprint users. It has now been confirmed that Sprint GFNII does not support SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) over 3G. You need to be in an LTE area for voice over 3G and data over LTE. The GFNII fundamentally uses a similar design concept to the iPhone 5 in terms of antennas. As with the iP5, an additional antenna could not be fitted in the device just for the Sprint and Verizon versions of the devices, and so SVDO over 3G/CDMA is impossible.

As a side note, the reason the US GSIII have SVDO over 3G on Sprint and Verizon is because the US GSIII uses Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 with the integrated LTE modem instead of Exynos + additional LTE modem. By using Exynos in all versions of GFNII, this issue is created for that phone which doesn't exist in the US GSIII. I'm not smart enough to properly understand and explain why exactly this is the case, but this blog post about the Sprint GFNII explains it well.

For Verizon users, who have LTE in over 450 markets covering 75% of the US population, this isn't that big a deal. You will get voice over CDMA and data over LTE. One advantage of having Verizon 4G LTE on your Verizon GFNII, I suppose. It even makes the astonishing Verizon button on our Verizon GFNIIs almost bearable.

For AT&T users outside of an LTE area, you still get SVDO over 3G+HSPA, the same as it has always been for people on GSM networks. For T-Mobile users, this whole post is entirely irrelevant to you since T-Mobile has not begun deployment of LTE.

Verizon
pretty sure we already knew 100% that the phone didn't support SVDO on Sprint/Verizon when the FCC reports dropped and they had the antenna results.

also, fixed a slight error in your post.

CoilShot

I had a bit of a problem I can't seem to fix. I can't seem to resize my widgets at all. Is there a command I need to do in order to do it? Or do I need an app from the Play Store like LauncherPro or Go Launcher Ex?

I had a bit of a problem I can't seem to fix. I can't seem to resize my widgets at all. Is there a command I need to do in order to do it? Or do I need an app from the Play Store like LauncherPro or Go Launcher Ex?

depends on the widget, some don't support the new standard resizing functionality. or yeah, many third party launchers let you resize all widgets.

CoilShot

depends on the widget, some don't support the new standard resizing functionality. or yeah, many third party launchers let you resize all widgets.

Figured. This is a bit off topic but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the launcher apps. Is there one that is better then the other one since you going to be customizing the home screens?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Figured. This is a bit off topic but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the launcher apps. Is there one that is better then the other one since you going to be customizing the home screens?

Apex and Nova are the most recommended. I got Nova prime cheap and get notification badges for messaging and emails which is nice.

Was thinking about buying this as a secondary phone and literally using it as a tablet. How is the oled screen? Is it like the s3(which was okay but it had jaggies and whites were horrible) or is it like the vita? Samsung makes the vitas screen which is without a doubt the best old screen in a mobile device. It doesn't have any of that over saturated color that people complain about. The whites are also pretty decent. Why doesn't Samsung use these oled screens on their own phones? Vita is non pentile too

Was thinking about buying this as a secondary phone and literally using it as a tablet. How is the oled screen? Is it like the s3(which was okay but it had jaggies and whites were horrible) or is it like the vita? Samsung makes the vitas screen which is without a doubt the best old screen in a mobile device. It doesn't have any of that over saturated color that people complain about. The whites are also pretty decent. Why doesn't Samsung use these oled screens on their own phones? Vita is non pentile toom

it's RGB Matrix, not Pentile.

6AhHQ.png

also, the Vita 960*544 @ 5", so it's a similar PPI to the Galaxy SII, which they did use RGB Stripe on, while this is 1280*720 @ 5.5" which is at a much higher PPI than the GSII and Vita.

CoilShot

Anyone having any luck finding accessories at stores? I've tried T-mobile stores and best buy stores with no luck at all.

Edit: Well I just found out that Sprint has accessories so I'm going to go there.

Top Bottom