• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I dropped mine in a bar the other night, not a scratch. Don't understand why anyone would use a screen protector, gorilla glass 2 is ridiculously strong. But I am thinking about a case just to make it easier to hold, the plastic is slippery.

A slim case is a good idea, because it is slick. Regardless, its a tough device, for sure .

Radec

I dropped mine in a bar the other night, not a scratch. Don't understand why anyone would use a screen protector, gorilla glass 2 is ridiculously strong. But I am thinking about a case just to make it easier to hold, the plastic is slippery.

This is me until I scratched the screen of mine. Also a dent and a bit of peeled off in the chrome part.

Gattsu25

Banned
I have dozens of microscrathes on my screen. Gorilla glass ain't what it used to be.
Edit: whoops... wrong thread. I have microscrathes on my S3 screen.

RotBot

Bought a Note 2 today. The S-Pen kept registering presses when hovering. Exchanged the unit for another one. This one has a massive S-Pen dead zone going down the entire screen.

2012-11-24-22-54-57.png

Now I have to exchange for a 3rd phone. Am I just having really bad luck with defective units, or is the QC shit for Samsung phones?

Blackhead

Redarse
Bought a Note 2 today. The S-Pen kept registering presses when hovering. Exchanged the unit for another one. This one has a massive S-Pen dead zone going down the entire screen.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAYQ/fP74U3b85Xs/s720/2012-11-24-22-54-57.png

Now I have to exchange for a 3rd phone. Am I just having really bad luck with defective units, or is the QC shit for Samsung phones?

Why didn't you fix the pen yourself or exchange the pen, instead of swapping out the Note2, like the xda thread suggests?

RotBot

Why didn't you fix the pen yourself or exchange the pen, instead of swapping out the Note2, like the xda thread suggests?

They didn't let me exchange just the pen. And some people said adjusting it didn't work for them or the hover problem came back after a while, and I don't want to be stuck with a messed up pen after the 30 day return window.

I'm thinking of nabbing one of these for me and another for my girl, on sprint though, anyone know about how durable these are or would a case be kind of mandatory?

I bought this screen protector:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F25Z6S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and this case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N5OX2E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The case adds a bit of bulk, but I essentially never have to worry about even a scratch on the phone with this combo. It has the added bonus of replacing the kickstand that I miss from my Evo, so I can watch media in widescreen without having to hold the phone in my hand. Plus it looks very professional, especially when you're rocking the stylus.

The screen protector is really just peace of mind. You never notice that it's there, but you know you won't get those little mini-scratches that build up over time tarnishing the viewing experience.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Damn nice deal,

The estimated ship date apparently is Jan 7th... Fuck I don't want to wait so long lol... I'm so impatient...

Item(s) Subtotal: $199.99

Total Before Tax: $199.99
Tax: $17.75

Total: $217.74

Dat deal... Titanium Gray too...

Um.. I guess I droped mine. Large fucking crack.. fml..

Cipherr

Never forget: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468121 & http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468532

Good times. In any case, this is pretty amazing, usually the quarter where a new iPhone drops is rough times on all the other phone makers, Samsung seems to be having a pretty damn good Q4 though. This Note II is moving at twice the pace of the first one. They really have a good thing going now with the flagship Galaxy S in the second quarter and the Galaxy Note in the late 3rd early 4th quarter of the year.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone know of an app that will let you access the external SD card when the Note is connected to a desktop/laptop? The only ones I've found only work when the Note is rooted and I'm not sure I want to do this yet.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Thank you you sob, ordered mine through Sprint for $337 shipped, waived activation $69 a month. I went for the titanium one.

I wonder if I can add the employer corporate discount to my referral plan. If so I think I'd get 18% off the bill :lol

Either way I am very happy, apparently it will get shipped in 2-5 days.

--
--

Time for the pampering to begin. (You guys might want to go for this screen protector)

--
--

I wonder if I should go for this case..

Damn this is the type of case that I'd prefer, some mixed reviews.

This one looks great.

This seems like is it. Wish I had a kickstand though.

Major contender... Mmm...

Very interesting one.

Moar cases/kickstands.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
32GB MicroSDHC is $14.99 @ RadioShack.com for the next 37 minutes

Nice.

What class is this thing?

Dat Amazon convenience.

FEELS GOOD MAN... I think I am set for a good 2 Years.

I am so excited lol... I'm upgrading from a...

blackberry-curve-8530-boost-mobile-cell-phone-with-accessories~104630.jpg

Sorry if I seem a bit obnoxious right now guys but I think you understand lol.

Thanks again faceless for that referral hook up.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mine arrived the day after I ordered it, from Sprint.

Yep! My baby will be here by 8PM LOL...

Thank you based Sprint.

-Got it, it's glorious.

Having some issues activating. Email registered somehow got changed to a *******@aol.com or some shit it's not my email, my pin was different and secret question to what was the model of my first car was different. The tech support guys were telling me that the info I was providing wasnt matching so I had to provide different info like what was my pets name during childhood which turned out to be correct and they were able to verify my account, the guy tried activating the phone but he said that the calling (phone to phone) would be activated in a few hours or something, he re-updated my email (to gmail).. Odd.. Maybe because I used that referral info for the discount something got mixed up? I don't even know.

I guess by tomorrow I'll see if everything is sorted out. Funny thing is that I received 2 emails right after placing the order the other day and everything checked out but when I tried to register my account on sprints website the site wasn't having any of it and seemed like it got things mixed up.

Anyway off to work, I'll give an update to this situation later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

It says mine is coming Thursday. Even until the end, Verizon made me wait an extra day. One day, I will punish Verizon when a competitor's network actually catches up with theirs.
In other words, never.

Verizon

Mook1e

I'm on AT&T with a Nexus One with an unlimited 3G data plan.

This http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009Z1MNF0/?tag=neogaf0e-20 is what I want, correct?

AT&T version for LTE for if I ever get LTE in my area (and upgrade my plan?).
No fucking contract because it would more than double my bill.
Just slap my SIM in and run amok, right?
Should be fine, but it's $50 cheaper if you get it from AT&T off-contract. Is there any reason you don't want to go through them?

Mudkips

Banned
Should be fine, but it's $50 cheaper if you get it from AT&T off-contract. Is there any reason you don't want to go through them?

AT&T lists it as $749 for me, actually.
I can't buy it from AT&T online without getting a data plan with it.
My data plan is an old 3G unlimited plan that says "smartphone exclusion" so they will not let me keep it.
And beyond that, my work is buying it for me, so it won't (and shouldn't be) tied to my account in any way.

Ideally, AT&T shouldn't even know that I have it (yes, they can easily tell, but they never did anything when I used my N1 on my non-smartphone plan, tethered with it, etc.).

Finally, the auspicious day has arrived. It's like my Galaxy Nexus knows that death is just around the corner, suddenly I'm having strange battery drain issues the past few days.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
thanks!

BTW if I use a launcher like Go Launcher, will I lose the S-Pen functionality?

Nope, as long as the respective apps/widgets are still available

Unknown Soldier said:
Finally, the auspicious day has arrived. It's like my Galaxy Nexus knows that death is just around the corner, suddenly I'm having strange battery drain issues the past few days.
Gonna need to know your thoughts, Solider

cool, and how do you do that cover the front camera while the phone is on lock to glance at the lockscreen info?

Go to 'Motion' in settings and turn on 'Quick Glance'. It uses the proximity sensor though, not the camera. There is a hit to battery life so you might want to decide for yourself if it is worth it.

Gonna need to know your thoughts, Solider

This phone is STUPID FAST. I set up all my accounts and Google started downloading and installing all my apps in the background while I was just messing around in Settings. I didn't even notice that apps were downloading and installing, the phone was not even lagging a tiny bit.

Uh, so is there a root for VZW GNII yet? I really need my root! I wonder how long until someone cracks that bootloader wide open and I can install Clockworkmod Recovery and really start fucking around with shit like custom kernels.

This phone comes with literally every Amazon app pre-installed EXCEPT the Amazon App Store. Goddammit Verizon and Amazon. I don't want your Amazon MP3 and Audible garbage! I want the App Store which has my free Soundhound and Angry Birds and shit like that!

Oh, right. BWOOP! BWOOP! I'm starting to like this sound. BWOOP! BWOOP!

Top Bottom