• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

That case reminds of when I had an old Handspring Visor back in the day. The folio-style cases were popular back then for PDAs. It fits, because the GNII has a stylus! Everything old truly is new again!

I've been thinking of getting either the S3 or the Note 2.

This video really shows off the power of the Note 2...(pretty sure S3 can also do this)

The only thing I'm afraid of is the size. I'm currently using an S2.....not too sure if Note 2 will be too big for me. I've tried it out the display models....but I'm still unsure about it for daily usage. If only I can loan my friend's Note 2 for a week......

dejay

Banned
I've been thinking of getting either the S3 or the Note 2.

This video really shows off the power of the Note 2...(pretty sure S3 can also do this)

The only thing I'm afraid of is the size. I'm currently using an S2.....not too sure if Note 2 will be too big for me. I've tried it out the display models....but I'm still unsure about it for daily usage. If only I can loan my friend's Note 2 for a week......

Do you use the smart more than the phone?
Do you occasionally find yourself in situations where you need to jot down notes?
Do you have loose fitting clothes (not skinny jeans) with decent pockets?
Is a long battery life important to you?

Just today I took the phone off charge at 5am. I did several hours of driving with navigation and bluetooth music streaming. I read lots of emails on the big screen, did a handful of calls, took down some notes at a meeting and a site visit with the stylus and took some photos. It's almost 9pm here and I'm still over 60% battery.

I don't even think about charging it in my car or in my office any more. In fact I don't know where my car charger is. It's an extremely productive device and to me that's worth the slight size trade off.

Mudkips

Banned
How/where exactly can I buy the AT&T Note II (SGH-i317) without a contract/plan?
Their site lets me order it for $650 but the check page says DATA PLAN REQUIRE NO PHONE FOR YOU.

Mudkips

Banned
Just today I took the phone off charge at 5am. I did several hours of driving with navigation and bluetooth music streaming. I read lots of emails on the big screen, did a handful of calls, took down some notes at a meeting and a site visit with the stylus and took some photos. It's almost 9pm here and I'm still over 60% battery.

This is mighty impressive.....I'm shopping for a Note 2 right now!

Genos

Banned
Amazing phone. It lasts longer than any other phone i used. Plus it fixes the screen rotation/landscape issue that SGS3 had on YouTube.

Body Glove also has the Dimensions case for the Note 2.
1.jpg

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How/where exactly can I buy the AT&T Note II (SGH-i317) without a contract/plan?
Their site lets me order it for $650 but the check page says DATA PLAN REQUIRE NO PHONE FOR YOU.

1. ebay

The SGH-i317/M is extremely rare because of manufacturing difficulties I've heard. Even though there were released in Canada almost 4 weeks ago, for some crazy reason not many are available. I was mad lucky to find one on ebay. The T-Mobile version is a possibility (and plentiful), but you might need to unlock it and even still, the LTE radio is locked.

But...there's always the international version.

sasimirobot

Installed android revolution hd on this thing. Kinda proud I didn't brick it. Can't tell any difference on speed or performance but battery seems a little better.

I found some cool science fiction fonts (transformers, alien, promethius, etc...) before I did the custom/wipe. Anyone know of what I mean and where I can find them again?

SpecX

So my S3 fell and the screen is now broken. Stupid me didn't get the insurance and thought my case would be enough to protect this since I rarely drop my phone. Now I have to pay full price for a replacement or get one of Verizon's certified pre-owned. Since the price of a new one is close to the price of this, I'm looking to jump ship. Did Verizon seriously put their logo on the front button and is there word on how to get this off? Also, has anyone had both the S3 and Note 3 to compare real world differences between these phones? I'm digging through this thread reading all the details, but wanted to get some user feedback.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So my S3 fell and the screen is now broken. Stupid me didn't get the insurance and thought my case would be enough to protect this since I rarely drop my phone. Now I have to pay full price for a replacement or get one of Verizon's certified pre-owned. Since the price of a new one is close to the price of this, I'm looking to jump ship. Did Verizon seriously put their logo on the front button and is there word on how to get this off? Also, has anyone had both the S3 and Note 3 to compare real world differences between these phones? I'm digging through this thread reading all the details, but wanted to get some user feedback.

I had an S3 before getting my note 2. I actually like the screen on the S3 better than the note 2, but I really like the size of the note 2 screen. S3 feels better in the hand. Note 2 has a way better battery life.

The stylus stuff is cool but not that important to me.

My wife has my s3 now and it is crazy how small it looks compared to the note. I don't regret switching over to the note 2 at all.

Is it just the glass that's broken or the digitizer as well?

mackattk

So I got a nexus 4, but after hearing about the note 2, it really piqued my interest. I have always wanted exceptional battery life for my phones, and have bought extended batteries for almost all my android devices.

I really like the nexus 4, but I am sort of leaning on posting an ad on craigslist or something seeing if someone would want to do a straight up trade.

I need to go to my T-mobile store and look at the note 2 again and see if I would like it or not, I am sort of afraid it may be too big.

Aight so how do I transfer contacts to this phone. Already backedup sms. But contacts are stuck with gmail shit. I wanna connect with facebook how do I do?

Emily Chu

Banned
anyone stupid enough to own a nexus 7 as well ?

I have a N7 but am thinking about getting a note 2 to replace both my N7 and Galaxy Nexus.

kill two birds with one note...

and simplify mah ECO SYSTEMS

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I have a N7 but am thinking about getting a note 2 to replace both my N7 and Galaxy Nexus.

The note doesn't feel like a tablet to me at all.

SpecX

Is it just the glass that's broken or the digitizer as well?

I think it's the digitizer. You can see the fracture running down the screen, but the glass doesn't show or feel cracked. Also, the screen no longer comes on when powered up and after dropping it and the short time the screen was still on, it wouldn't respond when I tried accessing any of the on screen icons.

Mook1e

6 posts after your previous post in this thread chrislowe says he has both.

I have a technical question about the Note II:

How do I force it to use just the 1900MHz band? I want to see if T-Mobile has started refarming my city for usage of the 1900MHz band on 3G, and I want to see if my phone can detect it.

I have a technical question about the Note II:

How do I force it to use just the 1900MHz band? I want to see if T-Mobile has started refarming my city for usage of the 1900MHz band on 3G, and I want to see if my phone can detect it.

Your phone will start showing 3G instead of E automatically. That is what happened when I was visiting in Chicago where T-Mobile had re-farmed some areas already.

Anyone having bad reception on the Note? I don't know what it is but I'm having troubles sending/recieving texts from my room all of a sudden.. fucking annoying

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it possible on the GNote II to:
  1. Change the hardware menu button to a multitasking button and force the action overflow button to show up in properly designed apps?
  2. Replace Samsung's dialer, messaging and contacts apps with Google's dialer, texting and People apps?
via rooting, sideloading and modifying some system settings but without having to flash a custom ROM?

I have a couple of question for Note 2 power users.

1. How hard is it to root my sprint Note 2? I've never rooted a phone before and I'm a little scared I'll brick it.

2. I pay sprint about $90 bucks a month of unlimited data, but they want me to pay extra 30 buck for the ability to use my phone as a hot spot for my tablet.(Note 10.1) but I know for a fact that android supports the hot spot ability at the OS level, and the carriers lock it out at a money grab. If I root my phone, will I be able to use my phone as a hot spot for my tablet for free? And would this be legal?

Mook1e

1. Pretty easy : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1955156

2. Also available at xda-developers in the Sprint Note 2 section but i think they're having problems. It's not "legal" according to Sprint's contract, but neither is root.

I have a couple of question for Note 2 power users.

1. How hard is it to root my sprint Note 2? I've never rooted a phone before and I'm a little scared I'll brick it.

2. I pay sprint about $90 bucks a month of unlimited data, but they want me to pay extra 30 buck for the ability to use my phone as a hot spot for my tablet.(Note 10.1) but I know for a fact that android supports the hot spot ability at the OS level, and the carriers lock it out at a money grab. If I root my phone, will I be able to use my phone as a hot spot for my tablet for free? And would this be legal?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Can anyone recommend a good screen protector that doesn't make the screen grainy as all hell? I tried iKross, but the screen was so grainy it was giving me a headache.

goldenpp72

I'm thinking of nabbing one of these for me and another for my girl, on sprint though, anyone know about how durable these are or would a case be kind of mandatory?

sasimirobot

I dropped mine in a bar the other night, not a scratch. Don't understand why anyone would use a screen protector, gorilla glass 2 is ridiculously strong. But I am thinking about a case just to make it easier to hold, the plastic is slippery.

I dropped mine in a bar the other night, not a scratch. Don't understand why anyone would use a screen protector, gorilla glass 2 is ridiculously strong. But I am thinking about a case just to make it easier to hold, the plastic is slippery.

I heard the GSIII is pretty fragile. I'm glad the GNII seems to be more durable at least.

Top Bottom