• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ocho

My Note 2 is arriving next week. Going from a trusty S2 to this beast. I even installed stock Samsung JB 4.1 to reacquaint myself with TouchWiz (it ain't that bad). The screen will be glorious for book reading (yes, I've been reading books in my smartphone).

Mook1e

I was already thinking Verizon was actively sabotaging the Note 2 to make their Droid branded phones more preferable to customers...

damn, the Ongoing Wifi notification is still there too. Verizon just doesn't give a fuck!
I can't wait for root so can get rid of that goddamned ongoing WiFi notification. I also need to get rid of the tether authentication so I can use the native tethering support in Android.

Battery life on this phone is stupid. On an average work day with my Galaxy Nexus, the phone would be gasping for air by the end of the day with ~20% remaining on the battery. Today I got home, and my Note II said it had 71% left. I don't know what you can do to kill this phone, maybe playing Ingress for 5 straight hours would do it. Maybe.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So for those who have actually gotten the multi window update, is it actually useful or does it come off as a gimmick? What apps do you use it with?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
And yeah the battery life is nuts on this baby. I love this damn phone.

The pen is not a gimmick either. This is shocking to me.

Trying to kill this phone's battery is not unlike trying to kill God. But I did it anyways. I listened to a bunch of music with the screen continuously on, and I played a bunch of Asphalt 6. Games look incredible on this phone's screen, which is actually larger than a Vita's screen and has a higher PPI too. I also messed around with MHL a bit, and unfortunately a side effect of MHL I did not anticipate was that it actually charges the phone while you're plugged into the MHL adapter. The phone didn't charge a whole lot though as you can see.

I didn't try to cheese this marathon battery killing session either, as you can see the vast majority of time was spent on the 4G LTE network. I wouldn't have used any WiFi at all except this phone tries so hard to turn WiFi on even when you don't want it and I didn't notice because I was playing Asphalt 6.

gn2_bat1.jpg

gn2_bat2.jpg

gn2_bat3.jpg

Genos

Banned
I installed adobe reader but deleted afterwards. however, any pdf file on my phone still has the adobe reader file type (the adobe reader logo next to the file name). how do i get rid of this?

Mook1e

Trying to kill this phone's battery is not unlike trying to kill God. But I did it anyways. I listened to a bunch of music with the screen continuously on, and I played a bunch of Asphalt 6. Games look incredible on this phone's screen, which is actually larger than a Vita's screen and has a higher PPI too. I also messed around with MHL a bit, and unfortunately a side effect of MHL I did not anticipate was that it actually charges the phone while you're plugged into the MHL adapter. The phone didn't charge a whole lot though as you can see.

I didn't try to cheese this marathon battery killing session either, as you can see the vast majority of time was spent on the 4G LTE network. I wouldn't have used any WiFi at all except this phone tries so hard to turn WiFi on even when you don't want it and I didn't notice because I was playing Asphalt 6.
Anecdotes such as this make me wonder why more wasn't said about the great battery life in some reviews while others gushed about it. I do know the improved battery life over my Epic 4G is one of the things I look forward to with this phone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Anecdotes such as this make me wonder why more wasn't said about the great battery life in some reviews while others gushed about it. I do know the improved battery life over my Epic 4G is one of the things I look forward to with this phone.

Reviewer agendas most likely, the lot that joke about the "unworkable size" and don't want smartphones edging towards this direction all the while the reality is battery tech just isn't improving and size is always going to bring the advantage.

I might be joining the Note 2 world come Christmas... basically told everyone not to get me jackshit, not a selection box of chocolates or a single joke pair of socks, and just funnel any money towards one superior present goal between themselves rather than the usual many individual boxes under the tree because there is just nothing else I want more. The spirit bomb of gifting approach.

I've had this phone for a few weeks and I'm still wowed by it as time goes by. I've never had such a
hard-on
for a phone before. :eek:

sasimirobot

Just installed Swype.seriously ridiculous how much my life has changed. Also anyone else amazed at how slick and slippery the touchscreen is? It feels like butter coated Teflon

Gambit61

Reviewer agendas most likely, the lot that joke about the "unworkable size" and don't want smartphones edging towards this direction all the while the reality is battery tech just isn't improving and size is always going to bring the advantage.

I might be joining the Note 2 world come Christmas... basically told everyone not to get me jackshit, not a selection box of chocolates or a single joke pair of socks, and just funnel any money towards one superior present goal between themselves rather than the usual many individual boxes under the tree because there is just nothing else I want more. The spirit bomb of gifting approach.

lmao, I should tell everyone the same. All I want for Christmas this year is the GNII. This is gonna be the longest wait Christmas since I was a kid.

Did anyone get the grey GNote II? Or is white clearly the superior model?
Mine is Godlike Grey.

Over at XDA, a root has been achieved on an older firmware image for VZW GNII. We're all waiting for the technique to be applied to the current shipping stock image. Top hackers are working on it this very moment, I guess.

WE HAVE ROOT ON VERIZON GALAXY NOTE II:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024207

Not bad, only took 3 days to gain root on VZW GNII. The next task now awaits the brave, to break the encrypted bootloader and establish full control over the VZW GNII. The VZW GSIII's bootloader wasn't broken until someone leaked it without encryption. Hopefully they will either find a way to decrypt it, or a leak will also happen with the VZW GNII.

WE HAVE ROOT ON VERIZON GALAXY NOTE II:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024207

Not bad, only took 3 days to gain root on GNII. The next task now awaits the brave, to break the encrypted bootloader and establish full control over the VZW GNII. The VZW GSIII's bootloader wasn't broken until someone leaked it without encryption. Hopefully they will either find a way to decrypt it, or a leak will also happen with the VZW GNII.

yeah, gonna need DAT GOOD BOOTLOADER to be able to really mod the multi window.

My friend just got his Note II in today and was showing it off and I was definitely amazed by it, if I wasn't set on upgrading to the iPhone 5 next month I would definitely go for the Note.

Now that we have root, I think we can just install the multi-window customizer app which is included on the Internatonal GNII.

i was under the impression that the customizing app is the same in all the devices, it's just that the Verizon phone only has 7 apps listed in it... unless there's a different app that you're talking about...

i was under the impression that the customizing app is the same in all the devices, it's just that the Verizon phone only has 7 apps listed in it... unless there's a different app that you're talking about...

Huh? Someone at XDA was talking about how there's an app for customizing Multi-Window. I might have misread.

I'm currently watching a blue bar moving from left to right on my phone. Odin is flashing my firmware. I'm getting a bit excited now...

kinggroin

Banned
:-(

I want this phone so bad, but NOT until the bootloader is unlocked and I can disable the capacitive buttons and turn the Verizon button into a camera shutter.

chrislowe

gorilla glass 2 = I go bananas!.

Well, my old HTC Tatoo, and Huewai Ideos X5 didnt have any hard glass to protect from scratches.. and they never got a scratch cause i was gentle with them.

now my Note 2 has 2 of them.. and i dont know how the hell they come up either!?.
and its suppose to have scratchproof glass.. yeah right. :)

darkwing

gorilla glass 2 = I go bananas!.

Well, my old HTC Tatoo, and Huewai Ideos X5 didnt have any hard glass to protect from scratches.. and they never got a scratch cause i was gentle with them.

now my Note 2 has 2 of them.. and i dont know how the hell they come up either!?.
and its suppose to have scratchproof glass.. yeah right. :)

it's not scratchproof , scratch resistant :)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Y'all haven't lived till you've played Rayman: Jungle Run on a Note 2

lawdy

Edit:

No one has so much as taken a second glance at the Note II the entire time I’ve had it, as far as I’m aware. I’ve read enough reviews that talk about this phenomena that I have to wonder: are people just lying? Or is everyone in New York City actually a pretentious asshole? And to be clear, I live in LA, where everyone and their hipster brother has an iPhone. The only way you’re going to get someone to comment on the dimensions is by holding it up to their face and saying “HEY, LOOK AT THIS GIANT PHONE.” The commonness of 4.5”+ smartphones today has desensitized everyone to the size issue, much in the way the creeping growth of small sedans has allowed BMW to make this year’s 3-Series larger than the 5-Series was in 1987. Feel free to look it up.

As I've said before, no one gives a shit about what phone you use or the size of it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As I've said before, no one gives a shit about what phone you use or the size of it.

I disagree. I haven't had so many reactions to my Note since I had the OG iPhone on its release.

Y'all haven't lived till you've played Rayman: Jungle Run on a Note 2

lawdy

Edit:

The Note 2 is like the Hummer of smart phones (without the mileage problem). Most people notice. People curious to buy it might bring it up in conversation. Other owners might give you a nod. Most people will think you are overcompensating for something. Your friends and colleagues will rib you. You might have trouble parking it in certain locations.

But the headroom feels real darn good.

darkwing

my wife thinks its too big

been looking for a sling type bag thingy for it lol when I put it in my pockets I'm afraid to break it when sitting down etc..

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I should clarify then, not many people have even commented on me using it in public (then again, I do have large hands), so I guess ymmv.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I disagree. I haven't had so many reactions to my Note since I had the OG iPhone on its release.

People stared the shit out of my phone on the subway here in NYC when I was heading back uptown (specially when they were facing the screen, they were like O_O) lol

--

Just saw the video of the Rayman game... It looks INSANE.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted looks amazing on this screen. Who needs a Vita, anyways? Of course that game cost me $7 on Google Play, it better look awesome.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Getting asked some pretty pointed questions about this beast by family members this evening... :D~~~~~~

Emily Chu

Banned
Hope theres a black note II soonish

Greys cool but black is better

Saw the s3 black in store and woo that shit is so slick.

I'm hating the battery life on my gnex I'd had for since last march it just gets shitter by the day

Fuck this phone

Top Bottom