• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Everyone, seriously, should root their phone. Not for roms, not for Titanium Backup, not for anything nefarious. For one simple reason. 320 lcd density on this phone is absolutely ridiculous. Everything is way too large at that setting. This device desperately yearns for 240dpi.

It is easy to change once you are rooted, download Rom Toolbox, go to build.prop editor, and change the ro.sf.lcd_density from 320 to 240.

This does bork several things though. It causes the Samsung keyboard to FC. You should be using Swype or SwiftKey or the 4.2 Google Keyboard anyway.

It causes the dialer to shrink and shuffle off to the side. Replacing it with another dialer if that bothers you, like exDialer, works.

Same as above with contacts. I use exContacts.

The stock launcher does weird things. The stock launcher is bad though too, so use ADW, Apex or Nova. I use Nova with the notification badges.

Seriously, the difference between 240dpi and 320 (default) made the Note 2 so much more useable for me.

One big reason I got the Note II because of how bad my vision is. I like it that everything is bigger now. But that's the magic of Android, you can customize it how you like it!

Mudkips

Banned
Holy shit I am charging my phone and it keeps beeping at me like there's no tomorrow.
Why is it doing this (I am not using the charger it came with).

Mudkips

Banned
maybe you have a missed call or text

Nope.
It looks like the charger isn't puttin' out enough juice so the thing keeps acting like it's connected, disconnected, connected, etc.
Left the charger that came with it at work. Kindle charger works fine.

darkwing

Nope.
It looks like the charger isn't puttin' out enough juice so the thing keeps acting like it's connected, disconnected, connected, etc.
Left the charger that came with it at work. Kindle charger works fine.

yeah I tried with another Samsung charger and it charges it for several hours, this thing needs a lot of power

also bought a sling type cellphone bag for this, always afraid of squashing it when sitting down with it in the pocket

Mook1e

$569 @ Dailysteals - Samsung Galaxy Note II 16GB Factory Unlocked Android Smartphone with 5.5" HD Display and Stylus (2 Colors)
Is that deal already over?
I want to get the Note 2 and use it on T-mobile. I know my area already has the 1900mhz aws, and the $200 savings in cost is really nice from the T-mobile version. The only real issue is future LTE support. (I hold on to phones for a while)

Radec

The supplied charger is 2A. Its ridiculously fast on charging. If yours took several hours, the charger might be deffective.

Mudkips

Banned
So I hid some apps, how do I unhide them?
I have no "show hidden applications" menu entry.
I've tried clearing all application preferences in the app manager (where you can disable apps).

So I hid some apps, how do I unhide them?
I have no "show hidden applications" menu entry.
I've tried clearing all application preferences in the app manager (where you can disable apps).

When you hit the menu key in apps, the pop up menu list can be scrolled up to find a hidden 'Show Hidden Applications' option. :/

Samsung seems to be following Microsoft's design philosophy as far as UI design goes.

Mudkips

Banned
When you hit the menu key in apps, the pop up menu list can be scrolled up to find a hidden 'Show Hidden Applications' option. :/

Samsung seems to be following Microsoft's design philosophy as far as UI design goes.

If your shit scrolls you put an indicator that it does so!

MS does this with arrows and ... consistently (at least in Windows).

Thanks. Was driving me mad.

Emily Chu

Banned
I have the $751.19 exact money down to the spare change to buy a

Titanium Grey Note II from Verizon $699.99 (in-store)
Titanium Grey Flip Cover $29.99 (in-store)
SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Screen Protector Clear Steinheil [Ultra Crystal] [2-PACK] $21.21 (pricey) (amazon)

$751.19

but I'm inclined to wait for a Black note II and black flip cover and a Custom Rom (paranoid android to be released.... with most TW features...

DAMMIT WHERE IS MY BLACK NOTE II with custom Roms ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1888

theres barely any out right now.....

should I wait or just jump in

SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Screen Protector Clear Steinheil [Ultra Crystal] [2-PACK] $21.21 (pricey) (amazon)

$751.19

but I'm inclined to wait for a Black note II and black flip cover and a Custom Rom (paranoid android to be released.... with most TW features...

i remember i wanted to wait on a black Wii....

then that NSMB Wii E3 trailer dropped!!!

i got a white Wii the next day.

i don't regret a thing! <3 NSMB Wii

of course, i may be biased because i'm counting the time until i get mine. i was eligible for upgrade exactly seven days ago! just waiting for the stars to align with the dollar signs.

also, those AOSP based roms won't have the TW features, you'd need a Tw based ROM for that.

Emily Chu

Banned
i remember i wanted to wait on a black Wii....

then that NSMB Wii E3 trailer dropped!!!

i got a white Wii the next day.

i don't regret a thing! <3 NSMB Wii

of course, i may be biased because i'm counting the time until i get mine. i was eligible for upgrade exactly seven days ago! just waiting for the stars to align with the dollar signs.

also, those AOSP based roms won't have the TW features, you'd need a Tw based ROM for that.

would I even be able to use any stylus functions with a AOSP rom once they start showing up like writing notes or even navigating though the UI ?

I'm okay with my gnex for now though sorta.................
really wish there will be a 5.5-6" nexus phone next year though

but my gnex's extended
battery is going full retard mode...

would I even be able to use any stylus functions with a AOSP rom once they start showing up like writing notes or even navigating though the UI ?

I'm okay with my gnex for now though sorta.................
really wish there will be a 5.5-6" nexus phone next year though

but my gnex's extended
battery is going full retard mode...

the stylus should function. i know it works on the original Galaxy Note in CM based roms. IIRC, the Samsung apps require the TouchWiz framework to work though. 3rd party apps should work though.

$751.19

Is the Galaxy S3 out in black?

Emily Chu

Banned
Yes. On some carries anyway. Like Verizon.

Posted from a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

damn is there tax in NYC for purchasing a phone at verizon ?

is there tax online ?

it comes out to

a grand total of with the flip cover and the screen protectors from amazon

$815.98 thats with tax included
FUCK.... I have a hard time swallowing paying that much for a phone...........

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thoughts/comparisons from anyone who has significant experience with both the iphone5 and Note II? I currently have the ip5 but my wife's contract (ATT) is up soon and she wants a ip5. So I'm thinking of getting the Note II and letting her have my iphone.

Obviously, the size difference is quite significant (and why I'd like to have the NoteII). I'm not too familiar with Android but don't mind switching. What are the main pros/cons?

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Has the note 2 replaced your tablet?

Just picked up a note 2 with unlimited data. I guess I don't need that iPad Mini.

damn is there tax in NYC for purchasing a phone at verizon ?

is there tax online ?

it comes out to

a grand total of with the flip cover and the screen protectors from amazon

$815.98 thats with tax included
FUCK.... I have a hard time swallowing paying that much for a phone...........
Damn!!! I had a hard time thinking about the $320.99 I had to drop. Though I did call the Sprint retention number and get a $50 credit towards my next 2 bills ($25 off a month x 2 months) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I just sold my nexus 7 on CL to a guy that has a Note II

I was like "The fuck?"

LOL

After using this, I don't need an Android tablet Windows 8 Pro plz...

Emily Chu

Banned
Damn!!! I had a hard time thinking about the $320.99 I had to drop. Though I did call the Sprint retention number and get a $50 credit towards my next 2 bills ($25 off a month x 2 months) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

LOL

After using this, I don't need an Android tablet Windows 8 Pro plz...

yeaaah I'm considering other options at this point

like getting either of these (extended battery options to extend the service life of my Gnex)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G51VSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 54.02

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C8XRJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 24.99$

plus a case for the extended battery

So you finally joined the Note II Master Race?

Yeah, to keep unlimited data on Verizon you have to pony up the full non-contract price for the device. I dropped $760 including tax on mine, plus all the accessories I got for it. Unsubsidized phone pricing is crazy, I don't know how the Europeans deal with that shit.

I've been using my new phone a lot more than my old VZW Gnex, where the battery basically falls over if you look at it too much. So far I'm at 7.6 GB of data used after 9 days of ownership. :3

yeaaah I'm considering other options at this point

like getting either of these (extended battery options to extend the service life of my Gnex)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G51VSM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 54.02

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C8XRJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 24.99$

plus a case for the extended battery

Sure, if you want to turn your phone into HTC Thunderbolt II. I refused to buy one of these giant battery packs on sheer principle, they are hideous. I heard the Note II at stock still outlasts the GNex with these ridiculous oxygen tanks strapped to their backs anyways.

That's a good option. I mean, this sit is AMAZING but I couldn't see myself spending 8 bills on it and also be on a Verizon contact

8jWHAl.png

Emily Chu

Banned
So you finally joined the Note II Master Race?

Yeah, to keep unlimited data on Verizon you have to pony up the full non-contract price for the device. I dropped $760 including tax on mine, plus all the accessories I got for it. Unsubsidized phone pricing is crazy, I don't know how the Europeans deal with that shit.

I've been using my new phone a lot more than my old VZW Gnex, where the battery basically falls over if you look at it too much. So far I'm at 7.6 GB of data used after 9 days of ownership. :3

Sure, if you want to turn your phone into HTC Thunderbolt II. I refused to buy one of these giant battery packs on sheer principle, they are hideous. I heard the Note II at stock still outlasts the GNex with these ridiculous oxygen tanks strapped to their backs anyways.

heh... I just can't justify spending that much on a phone atm

so I just got this for my gnex instead

$34.98 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C8XRJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XWP788/?tag=neogaf0e-20

it's not much but it'll help.... 3800 mah vs 2100 on the OEM extended battery

I don't mind the bulk

but at 34.98 meh it's a band aid

That's a good option. I mean, this sit is AMAZING but I couldn't see myself spending 8 bills on it and also be on a Verizon contact

If you buy the phone at full price, you don't renew or extend your contract. However, this doesn't matter since you can't upgrade period without losing unlimited data. There is a trick to working around this but it requires a line on your account which has an available upgrade and for you to already have a 4G LTE device. What you do is get the phone at the upgrade price on the other line, and then take your existing 4G LTE SIM out of your current phone and stick it in the new phone and then it works and you can pay the upgrade price. It's like an upgrade stealth-transfer and from what I'm told VZW lets you do this.

Emily Chu

Banned

8jWHAl.png

yup I figured since the only thing on my gnex that is lacking to me is the battery life

I still love the phone though Paranoid android, dark themes, custom roms, etc

and for 30$ + it's an Italian meal like GAF once said

plus I undervolt and underclock the shit out of anyways so I hopeful about this 3800mah battery vs the 2100 one

oh well maybe when note III rolls around I'll have more money saved enough for it

KillGore

So for some reason my phone started talking. What I mean is, when I get an incoming call or message, it speaks out the name of the person. Is there a way to turn it off? It's really awkward listening to the phone try and spell hispanic names (im from PR)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So for some reason my phone started talking. What I mean is, when I get an incoming call or message, it speaks out the name of the person. Is there a way to turn it off? It's really awkward listening to the phone try and spell hispanic names (im from PR)

Pretty sure you accidentally put it into driving mode. It is a quick toggle.

If you buy the phone at full price, you don't renew or extend your contract. However, this doesn't matter since you can't upgrade period without losing unlimited data. There is a trick to working around this but it requires a line on your account which has an available upgrade and for you to already have a 4G LTE device. What you do is get the phone at the upgrade price on the other line, and then take your existing 4G LTE SIM out of your current phone and stick it in the new phone and then it works and you can pay the upgrade price. It's like an upgrade stealth-transfer and from what I'm told VZW lets you do this.
I really meant the cost of Verizon, not the actual lockdown.

Goddamn, I'm already using the multitasking to navigate and read GAF simultaneously. From the passenger seat guys.

vJh66l.png

KoukiFC

Neo Member
I really meant the cost of Verizon, not the actual lockdown.

Goddamn, I'm already using the multitasking to navigate and read GAF simultaneously. From the passenger seat guys.

vJh66l.png

That looks amazing. My Tmobile version still doesnt have that.

Can it do navigation + music in portrait? Would be useful when driving.

That looks amazing. My Tmobile version still doesnt have that.

Can it do navigation + music in portrait? Would be useful when driving.

Poweramp + Google Navigate. Works in both portrait and landscape. A lot of apps work with Multi-Window, even ones which aren't officially supported, as long as they aren't programmed to freeze when they lose focus but they often look kinda bad because they don't understand the smaller resolution window they are crammed into.

ODIN -> TWRP

flashed Pre-Rooted, Deodexed ROM

flashed Multi-Window Mod

TB restored apps, Call Log, SMS/MMS

yep, i'm good

Do you have to do a nuke and pave when you go from odexed -> deodexed? Someone made a mod which kills the stupid ongoing WiFi notification on VZW GNII but you need to be deodexed. Maybe it's time I learn how Titanium Backup works.

Poweramp + Google Navigate. Works in both portrait and landscape. A lot of apps work with Multi-Window, even ones which aren't officially supported, as long as they aren't programmed to freeze when they lose focus but they often look kinda bad because they don't understand the smaller resolution window they are crammed into.

Do you have to do a nuke and pave when you go from odexed -> deodexed? Someone made a mod which kills the stupid ongoing WiFi notification on VZW GNII but you need to be deodexed. Maybe it's time I learn how Titanium Backup works.

no, if it's just ODEX/DEODEX of the same ROM you just have to wipe Dalvik and Cache. no data wipe necessary

no, if it's just ODEX/DEODEX of the same ROM you just have to wipe Dalvik and Cache. no data wipe necessary

Awesome. I'm deodexing the shit out of my VZW GNII and killing that fucking notification until it dies from it.

The Multi-Window mods are awesome, you can put any app on your phone into it. I can see why Samsung restricts it though, because most apps get kinda confused by the non-standard resolution.

AlexMogil

I just got mine last night. I *like* it, I'm just spoiled how much I like my Nexus 7 with all the stock Google Apps. And this 4 wide icon layout is about to be the death of me.

Huge screen, great resolution, 4 wide icons. Huh.

The voice mail app is pretty crummy, too, but that may be a sprint thing.

No comma key on the Samsung keyboards main layout?

No Google wallet?

Are there workarounds to this stuff via root? And what will I lose with root or rom?

Emily Chu

Banned
OK I have the $815.98 to buy the phone,flip cover and spg spigen clear screen

protectors and I've cancelled that extended battery+case for my gnex on amazon

the question is should I just walk into verizon and buy this today ?

make the decision for me GAF

OK I have the $815.98 to buy the phone,flip cover and spg spigen clear screen

protectors and I've cancelled that extended battery+case for my gnex on amazon

the question is should I just walk into verizon and buy this today ?

make the decision for me GAF

How much is your monthly phone bill? Are you on contract?

Emily Chu

Banned
How much is your monthly phone bill? Are you on contract?

39.98$ for unlimited 4G on verizon and yeah I'm on a contract.

I could use my relatives upgrade and buy the phone for 299$ but then they would be stuck with the 30$+ a month for a data plan because they still have a dumbphone

unless I buy it for 299$ and then they buy another smartphone off contract or on ebay

I keep the note II and they pay for there own 30$ data plan and use there own smartphone for it and save me friggin 500$

considering this option though

39.98$ for unlimited 4G on verizon and yeah I'm on a contract.

I could use my relatives upgrade and buy the phone for 299$ but then they would be stuck with the 30$+ a month for a data plan because they still have a dumbphone

unless I buy it for 299$ and then they buy another smartphone off contract or on ebay

I keep the note II and they pay for there own 30$ data plan and use there own smartphone for it and save me friggin 500$

considering this option though

Well, that way they are still spending $30 extra a month.

I can't see any other option than paying $800.

(I went from $65 a month to $30 a month when I got the note 2 so I didn't mind paying $700 for the phone - I "break even" in a year). Considering you are already on $40 a month I can see how $800 is a lot.

If you went with an upgrade, what would your monthly bill change to?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just got mine last night. I *like* it, I'm just spoiled how much I like my Nexus 7 with all the stock Google Apps. And this 4 wide icon layout is about to be the death of me.

Huge screen, great resolution, 4 wide icons. Huh.

The voice mail app is pretty crummy, too, but that may be a sprint thing.

No comma key on the Samsung keyboards main layout?

No Google wallet?

Are there workarounds to this stuff via root? And what will I lose with root or rom?

Yes there are work arounds. Get a new launcher, try Nova or Apex. You can increase the home screen grid to up to 7x7 with those.

Get Swype or Swiftkey keyboards or the stock Google keyboard apk.

There is a thread on each of the xda forums for each carrier's phone to enable Google wallet.

And there are ways to root and not change anything what about your phone, enabling you to do stuff like edit the build.prop or use a ps3 controller or backup your stuff with Titanium backup.

Top Bottom